AVS Forum banner

9301 - 9320 of 9774 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
What I don’t understand is if I chose to use freesync as my form of VRR by switching this on on the CX why do I have to also switch on the VRR on the Xbox? Because if I chose freesync and leave off VRR on the series x the freesync menu says “FIXED” so I am not getting any form of VRR whereas I would of thought I would be getting freesync premium as my form of VRR and not the regular HDMI form shouldn’t I?
I don't know about the XBox settings, but as a rule of thumb, both the source as well as the display need to be set to VRR. With ALLM in place (IGR on the CX), the TV should switch on VRR automatically if it receives a VRR Format. If you insist on Freesync as your preferred type of VRR you'd have to switch that on manually on the TV. I guess they implemented that as a manual switch, because if you activate Freesync you lose DV, so it's actually a good thing that you can choose not to use it.

After reading your post again and if I understood you correctly, it is strange that you can activate Freesync while VRR is deactivated. From what you are describing, the VRR switch on the XBox needs to be switched on, and then you can choose to use Freesync on top of that.
So to sum up:
VRR on Freesync off-> HDMI 2.1 VRR
VRR on Freesync on -> Freesync (if TV is set to Freesync on as well)
VRR off Freesync on -> no effect
Is that correct?

As I said, afaik there is no benefit of Freesync as of now, so don't fret about it. Go with HDMI 2.1 VRR and you are good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know about the XBox settings, but as a rule of thumb, both the source as well as the display need to be set to VRR. With ALLM in place (IGR on the CX), the TV should switch on VRR automatically if it receives a VRR Format. If you insist on Freesync as your preferred type of VRR you'd have to switch that on manually on the TV. I guess they implemented that as a manual switch, because if you activate Freesync you lose DV, so it's actually a good thing that you can choose not to use it.

After reading your post again and if I understood you correctly, it is strange that you can activate Freesync while VRR is deactivated. From what you are describing, the VRR switch on the XBox needs to be switched on, and then you can choose to use Freesync on top of that.
So to sum up:
VRR on Freesync off-> HDMI 2.1 VRR
VRR on Freesync on -> Freesync (if TV is set to Freesync on as well)
VRR off Freesync on -> no effect
Is that correct?

As I said, afaik there is no benefit of Freesync as of now, so don't fret about it. Go with HDMI 2.1 VRR and you are good.
Yes how you summed it up is correct so guess I was just confused why we would need freesync on the tv if the source supplied what was needed and had to be switched on anyway. If freesync offered something superior if it was switched on along side the setting switched on on the series x I would understand it but the fact it offers nothing what’s the point of having it on the tv I guess.

·
Registered
LG CX 65” OLED | Samsung HW-N950 | Sony X800M2 | Xbox Series X | PS5 | Sony XBR-65x930e
485 Posts
Hello. I have a CX65 and am using the Apple TV 4K. I am concerned about the raised blacks on DV and just not sure what to do. I have a Roku Ultra I am about to go purchase. Will the Roku stream correct black levels for DV?
Yes. Black Levels are correct on the Ultra.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hi everyone,

Does anyone knows of a detailed guide to each picture setting in the LG OLED tv?
My tv is coming this Friday and it's going to be my first OLED, so I'm not sure to really understand what each setting does (especially things like Real Cinema / True Motion / OLED Motion Pro, etc)

Thanks,

·
Registered
113 Posts
If I want to use Dynamic Tone Mapping for games on Series X, how should I go about calibrating the Xbox HDR App?
Which of these scenarios will give me the best picture when using DTM?
-calibrate with HGiG, then turn on DTM?
-calibrate with DTM and leave it on?
-calibrate with DTM/HGiG off, then turn DTM on?

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I want to use Dynamic Tone Mapping for games on Series X, how should I go about calibrating the Xbox HDR App?
Which of these scenarios will give me the best picture when using DTM?
-calibrate with HGiG, then turn on DTM?
-calibrate with DTM and leave it on?
-calibrate with DTM/HGiG off, then turn DTM on?
You should ideally calibrate with whatever tone mapping you want to use set. Curious what lead you to believe otherwise.

·
Registered
113 Posts
You should ideally calibrate with whatever tone mapping you want to use set. Curious what lead you to believe otherwise.
Well, I heard people suggest calibrating with HGiG first and then turning DTM on, because then you aren't tone mapping like 3 times. But then others say you shouldn't do that since DTM assumes a 4000nit signal, and you don't want the console thinking it's 800nits (if you calibrate with HGiG first), meaning you aren't getting the full breadth of colors/brightness with DTM.

I'm not really sure what to do exactly. I know I really like DTM on, and it's very inaccurate, difficult to calibrate, etc. I'm okay with that. I'm thinking calibrate everything with DTM on, so all my games assume a 4000nit signal and DTM can just tone map that down or something like it's supposed to. I'm still learning what DTM even is as I have only had the TV for a month, so I could be very wrong on a lot of this stuff, but I'm trying my best to learn it lol.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Well, I heard people suggest calibrating with HGiG first and then turning DTM on, because then you aren't tone mapping like 3 times. But then others say you shouldn't do that since DTM assumes a 4000nit signal, and you don't want the console thinking it's 800nits (if you calibrate with HGiG first), meaning you aren't getting the full breadth of colors/brightness with DTM.

I'm not really sure what to do exactly. I know I really like DTM on, and it's very inaccurate, difficult to calibrate, etc. I'm okay with that. I'm thinking calibrate everything with DTM on, so all my games assume a 4000nit signal and DTM can just tone map that down or something like it's supposed to. I'm still learning what DTM even is as I have only had the TV for a month, so I could be very wrong on a lot of this stuff, but I'm trying my best to learn it lol.
Calibration and tone mapping are distinct processes; so long as DTM is enabled, there will be extra layers of tone mapping regardless of how you calibrate on the XSX. The only way to avoid that is to enable HGIG and keep it turned on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Calibration and tone mapping are distinct processes; so long as DTM is enabled, there will be extra layers of tone mapping regardless of how you calibrate on the XSX. The only way to avoid that is to enable HGIG and keep it turned on.
Alright, and to clarify, would you say it's best to just try and calibrate everything with DTM on to keep things simple even if it results in extra layers of tone mapping?

9301 - 9320 of 9774 Posts