AVS Forum banner

9321 - 9340 of 9775 Posts
LG CX 65-Sony X900H 65-Sony 7.1 soundbar-PS5 -NINTENDO SWITCH- Roku ultra 2020
151 Posts
Alright, and to clarify, would you say it's best to just try and calibrate everything with DTM on to keep things simple even if it results in extra layers of tone mapping?
Did you watch the Vincent teoh video on Hgig Vs DTM??? No reason to use DTM you get better highlights with hgig regardless but your darks are darker too so it’s win win. Just set to hgig and calibrate it don’t mess with it after that and don’t use DTM either especially if your gaming on XSX or ps5

·
Registered
LG CX65+Sonos Arc/Sub/OneSL, LG CX 48, RTX3080, XSX, Switch, Shield TV Pro, Google TV
547 Posts
I'm just curious, is there some reason Windows 10 doesn't have a system level HDR calibration like on consoles so we can use HGiG without having to turn it on and off just for games?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you watch the Vincent teoh video on Hgig Vs DTM??? No reason to use DTM you get better highlights with hgig regardless but your darks are darker too so it’s win win. Just set to hgig and calibrate it don’t mess with it after that and don’t use DTM either especially if your gaming on XSX or ps5
The only issue there I would argue is that (from what I know) Hdr is meant for dark room and with Hgig you would want to be playing in a reference environment (ie dark). In this environment yes Hgig is best you get the beautiful highlights and nice inky darks. That being said, however, is what if you are playing a in bright room (say daytime with windows open). With hgig on (and calibrated using hgig) the image is sometimes too dark and it's hard to see detail in dark areas. Now what is the best solution for someone who plays in both environments, I don't know.

Personally what I do is I use Hgig, and if I determine that the game I am playing is too dark (when my room is bright) then I will just turn on dtm (keeping everything still calibrated as if hgig was being used). Not a perfect solution but works well enough. The other thing is, that I have noticed with dtm on some games you can't really calibrate properly (battlefield and any games using the frostbite engine I'd say, as well as fh4) since the two bright areas will never match so calibrating with dtm on for some games at least imo doesn't seem to work properly either

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know that and yes I watched all of his vids. I was using HGiG and all his recommended settings for a few weeks, then decided to try out DTM and I haven't felt like going back to HGiG since. I just really like DTM and I'm one of those people who tend to prefer appeal over accuracy. I do appreciate HGiG though and can see myself going back to it at some point since it makes it so easy calibrating games. I also have brightness at 49 to combat VRR raised near blacks, and I love seeing all the detail in my games, and DTM really helps in that regard by raising shadow detail.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The difference between HGIG and DTM in AC valhalla on ps5 is astonishing. Its way too dim to play with hgig once I saw the alternative.

·
Registered
52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can confirm there are still stutter/sync audio issues after the update today. I've tried about every configuration of settings I can think of and I'm still getting stutter in bluray playback. Everything my new setup has to offer, that being the Lg cx, xsx and 5.1.2 surround and it's one major flaw is audio playback for me and many others too. I don't know how to fix it so hopefully Lg and or microsoft can come up with something.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Guys i would really like to start programming on my cx, but i like ligth themes. Will lowering brightness postpone burnin? Are there any other settings in menu that would help burnin or color degradation?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The only issue there I would argue is that (from what I know) Hdr is meant for dark room and with Hgig you would want to be playing in a reference environment (ie dark). In this environment yes Hgig is best you get the beautiful highlights and nice inky darks. That being said, however, is what if you are playing a in bright room (say daytime with windows open). With hgig on (and calibrated using hgig) the image is sometimes too dark and it's hard to see detail in dark areas. Now what is the best solution for someone who plays in both environments, I don't know.

Personally what I do is I use Hgig, and if I determine that the game I am playing is too dark (when my room is bright) then I will just turn on dtm (keeping everything still calibrated as if hgig was being used). Not a perfect solution but works well enough. The other thing is, that I have noticed with dtm on some games you can't really calibrate properly (battlefield and any games using the frostbite engine I'd say, as well as fh4) since the two bright areas will never match so calibrating with dtm on for some games at least imo doesn't seem to work properly either
I do the same.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
I'm just curious, is there some reason Windows 10 doesn't have a system level HDR calibration like on consoles so we can use HGiG without having to turn it on and off just for games?
I think because windows 10 isn’t gaming specific.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
The difference between HGIG and DTM in AC valhalla on ps5 is astonishing. Its way too dim to play with hgig once I saw the alternative.
But the detail around highlights is lost

Reactions: SHEEZY
LG CX 65-Sony X900H 65-Sony 7.1 soundbar-PS5 -NINTENDO SWITCH- Roku ultra 2020
151 Posts

True true.... I was thinking pure reference point but you are right... how many times a day we use our CX is the conditions of the room ideal to hdr standard

·
Registered
138 Posts
Alright, and to clarify, would you say it's best to just try and calibrate everything with DTM on to keep things simple even if it results in extra layers of tone mapping?
Always calibrate with the TV settings as they would be when you game, it's as simple as that. If you keep chopping and changing TV settings per game, you're gonna be in for a world of pain.

·
Registered
LG CX65+Sonos Arc/Sub/OneSL, LG CX 48, RTX3080, XSX, Switch, Shield TV Pro, Google TV
547 Posts
I feel like calibrating on XSX with DTM On or Off makes no difference, and I think Vincent said something similar in his video.

·
Registered
59 Posts
as you don't need Dolby Vision, which isn't a thing with games anyway
It is. Latest Xbox and PC both support Dolby vision gaming.

Battlefield v and a certain mass effect game already support it on PC and more games will be coming esp now that Xbox supports it.

Freesync actually does work with Dolby vision, it's just that LG ran out of space in the HDMI handshake and decided to replace Dolby vision flag when enabling freesync.

9321 - 9340 of 9775 Posts