AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1488 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
BTW where does this save its settings? I assume somewhere in registry? Would be nice if they could be saved to a file so you can transport it easier. Alternative a .reg export from the app would do.
Settings are already saved to .json files in the user folder: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Maassoft\ColorControl
The NVIDIA and LG presets are saved to separate files and there's a file for general settings.
I found that in HDR mode even at 8% slider setting ASBL seemed more aggressive than it is in SDR mode. Or maybe it just dims the image less. I had to disable it via service remote because it was getting too annoying for me (even in SDR where it can trigger just while typing a forum post).
On my C9 I have TPC disabled as well. When using HDR on the desktop, there's zero ASBL this way (with 5% SDR brightness). In SDR it still seems to dim after a few minutes, although there are moments it won't dim for an hour and then every couple of minutes again. The dimming itself isn't that annoying (you barely notice it), but when it brightens up again, it does so in 5-8 steps which are easily noticeable.

·
Registered
LG CX 48, Shield TV, RTX 2070S
193 Posts
HDR10 is an absolute standard. Anything other than Warm2 (D65) is wrong. While D65 is also recommended for SDR (and thus for sRGB content within BT.2020), it isn't a hard requirement like with HDR.
Am I crazy or doesn't white look yellowish under Warm 2?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Settings are already saved to .json files in the user folder: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Maassoft\ColorControl
The NVIDIA and LG presets are saved to separate files and there's a file for general settings.
Good to know!

BTW it seems my LG TV is not detected if I start the app automatically at login. I have to restart the app for it to become selectable. Known issue?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good to know!

BTW it seems my LG TV is not detected if I start the app automatically at login. I have to restart the app for it to become selectable. Known issue?
Yeah, coincidentally I had the same problem today. It seems that if you turn on the TV later (past the login screen), it does not get detected because the device is then still disabled under the device manager. The app looks in device manager for an active device that contains [LG] (under Digital Media Devices or Software Devices), but it's reported as inactive when not turned on. I will fix this in a newer version.
Lately I'm having problems with the TV displaying a no signal message when Windows starts in 4K 120Hz, but turning the TV off and then on again fixes this. Turning the TV on after Windows is started also works, so that's why I had the same problem :cautious:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Im planning to buy LG CX and connect my PC ( I7&GTX1080 ) to it to play games and movies (kodi,downloaded) and streaming apps . I'm also planning to buy the denon avrx6500h which supports HDMI 2.0 and EARC . Is it safe to assume that i can connect my PC to the the LG CX directly with a 25 ft HDMI and connect my pc to the x6500h with another 25ft HDMI (from GPU or motherboard ) so i can benefit from the of the LG CX features (Gsync ,vrr,4k120) and also get lossless uncompressed audio from movies and games with no delay or issues?

how about consoles in the future ? lets say the games use DTS format ,if i connect the console directly to the tv for the benefits of HDMI 2.1 as my avr only supoport HDMI 2.0 ,would using sharc (or other products ) between the LG CX and the AVR give me DTS back ? if not ,is there a work around ?

thank you
If you want DTS you need something like the AVRkey that splits an HDMI signal into video for the TV input and audio for your AVR/soundbar and passes a combined EDID of the audio data from the AVR and the video data from the TV. The SHarc turns eARC into a normal HDMI audio input for an older AVR/soundbar that doesn't support eARC, but that doesn't help for adding DTS support to the TV that doesn't have it. Oh and you would need an AVRkey (or similar) for every source device or to use an HDMI switch between the source devices and the AVRkey.

Reactions: hadi_92

·
Registered
652 Posts
Any one of you using a KVM switch with this TV ?
I am looking for something that can do 4K + USB Mouse + USB keyboard to at least 2 computers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

Loving my 55” C9 these videos make me really want a 48” CX but I can holdout for next years with proper HDMI 2.1 ports and ATSC 3.0
But I can’t help but Game on my LG 27 GL850

·
Registered
81 Posts
Any way to optimize text so that there isn't a slight rainbow color around the letters?
There are several ways to prevent rainbow/text fringing:
  • Turn off ClearType (type cleartype in the start menu/search bar and open "Adjust ClearType text") and you won't see this effect anymore. Fonts will however look quite different, so I'm not really recommending this.
  • Leave ClearType enabled and make sure you're using using PC mode and not any chroma subsampling (no YCbCr422 or YCbCr420 color formats).
  • If the text fringing is especially visible in Chrome, it is because Chrome seems to use a custom subpixel rendering algorithm to anti-alias fonts. It thereby disregards any settings you make in the ClearType Text Tuner, except if you turn ClearType off. Fonts in Edge look a lot better. The only way to switch over to grayscale anti-aliasing (instead of colors) is to add the following startup parameter to Chrome: --disable-lcd-text
    In the past it was possible to disable this via a flag (chrome://flags), but sadly they've removed it.
  • Lastly, the effect seems to be emphasized when using PC mode. At least on my C9 it looks worse in PC mode than using "Game console" for example. Which is strange because in game mode you're restricted to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.

·
Registered
277 Posts

Loving my 55” C9 these videos make me really want a 48” CX but I can holdout for next years with proper HDMI 2.1 ports and ATSC 3.0
But I can’t help but Game on my LG 27 GL850
Why?
C9's can do 4k120hz RGB full with HDR, no other TV on the market can do that yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I am looking to use CX OLED 48" as a PC Monitor.

First off thanks for any insight you can provide. I would like to prevent burn-in and have turned on these settings to mitigate or hopefully mostly prevent it, looking for advice to see if there is any other settings I missed to add in for mitigation of burn in purposes, or if I should change any of my current settings.

I want to use the CX OLED for all different types of usage: web browsing, gaming, TV watching/movie watching. I realize the risks of using OLED for this, just want to maximize my chances of not having burn-in.

The settings I have now are:

Windows 10:
Always on SDR mode unless I play a game with HDR enabled
Start bar is on auto-hide and is set to black/grey color
Desktop icons are not ever shown
Dark mode for Windows 10 (makes windows black instead of white)
The screen saver comes on after 3 mins of inactivity of the mouse (it is an all-black static image)

Desktop background:
I would like to still have a desktop background!
As I do not usually idle on my desktop while using my PC anyways.

I have it rotating through 30 images and the background changes every 2 mins (which are similar to the link in this post, not all are in the imgur album) desktop background.

LG CX OLED Settings:
Brightness 15% to 30% at all times.
OLED Light (how is this different from brightness?) is at 50%.
Game mode
Logo Luminance Adjustment set to "High"
Pixel Refresher/Screen shift is always on for when TV powers off (not the manual activation one)

Are there any other settings I am forgetting about in either Windows 10 or LG OS settings for the TV?
What do you think about using desktop wallpapers? Will it be okay, or is an all-black static image really the only safe way?
Thank you!

·
Registered
21,136 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Get wallpaper engine you can use it with animated wallpapers and even invoke full screen like a screensaver via key press.

Search in its internal library with keyword galaxy and you will find some decent moving backgrounds.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Gsync in MW works after I uninstall driver with DDU and reinstall but stops working again the next time I restart my Pc. I’m at a loss. I have a 2080 Super

Every other game it seems to work fine and it was working fine up until a week ago. I’ve tried everything I can think of but only thing that works is uninstalling and reinstalling my Nvidia driver and it works for a bit until I turn my pc off. I’ve tried 4 different HDMI cables so that’s not the issue. I also redownloaded the game and that also fixed it until the next time my PC restarted

I am using the Gsync On notification to confirm. Any ideas? It’s not NVCP or in game settings because they do not change from when it works after the reinstall to win it doesn’t work.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There are several ways to prevent rainbow/text fringing:
  • Turn off ClearType (type cleartype in the start menu/search bar and open "Adjust ClearType text") and you won't see this effect anymore. Fonts will however look quite different, so I'm not really recommending this.
  • Leave ClearType enabled and make sure you're using using PC mode and not any chroma subsampling (no YCbCr422 or YCbCr420 color formats).
  • If the text fringing is especially visible in Chrome, it is because Chrome seems to use a custom subpixel rendering algorithm to anti-alias fonts. It thereby disregards any settings you make in the ClearType Text Tuner, except if you turn ClearType off. Fonts in Edge look a lot better. The only way to switch over to grayscale anti-aliasing (instead of colors) is to add the following startup parameter to Chrome: --disable-lcd-text
    In the past it was possible to disable this via a flag (chrome://flags), but sadly they've removed it.
  • Lastly, the effect seems to be emphasized when using PC mode. At least on my C9 it looks worse in PC mode than using "Game console" for example. Which is strange because in game mode you're restricted to 4:2:2 chroma subsampling.
Edit: nvm

·
Registered
193 Posts
Based on dfa973's post, he says you shouldn't run Windows in HDR because it will decrease the lifespan of the monitor...

·
Registered
716 Posts
For console games with HDR sliders for brightness and paper white, what should we be using? 800 for brightness, or leave at 1000 default?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My current desktop is [email protected]

4:2:2 10/12 bit vs 4:4:4 8 bit vs RGB full

I'm not able to do 4:4:4 10 bit. I'm using a Zeskit 22 gbps 2.0 hdmi cable.

Which of the above should be set for this TV in PC mode?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does anybody use BFI on Playstation 4? I'm not sure if that is recommended or not. I know on PC you can't do Gysnc and BFI at the same time.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

961 - 980 of 1488 Posts