AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought the 49 inch version (49NANO85UNA US version). Commonly, TV manufacturers omit features at sizes below 55 inches. Therefore, the manufacturers of variable refresh rate TVs < 55 inches is limited to LG (Nano 85 series and CX OLED).

Freesync is not enabled by a firmware update yet. However, I can confirm that G-Sync compatibility works (not formally validated by Nvidia). I am using an Nvidia RTX 2070 (non-super), latest driver as of July 13, 2020 (451.67). LG software version 03.00.85 (did not update). I tested G-Sync using the pendulum demo. Frametime graph using Rivatuner demonstrates expected smooth waves as frame rate increases and decreases. I tested VRR at 1440p120hz.

There are two HDMI 2.1 ports, but no devices on market yet. 4K120hz is possible on HDMI 2.0 with 49NANO85UNA, but color format is limited to YCbCr420.

EDIT: Freesync support added on July 17 2020 with software version 03.10.25. I have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I just bought one Sunday. Replaced an almost new Samsung NU7100 that was terrible with HDR material. This LG is so much better my wife even noticed.

I haven't bothered with any of the smart TV features. I have a Roku Ultra and Nvidia Shield connected for all of that stuff. The Shield supports Dolby Vision, but apparently my AVR isn't passing that through, so I guess it's time for an AVR upgrade as well.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I just bought the 49 inch version (49NANO85UNA US version). Commonly, TV manufacturers omit features at sizes below 55 inches. Therefore, the manufacturers of variable refresh rate TVs < 55 inches is limited to LG (Nano 85 series and CX OLED).

Freesync is not enabled by a firmware update yet. However, I can confirm that G-Sync compatibility works (not formally validated by Nvidia). I am using an Nvidia RTX 2070 (non-super), latest driver as of July 13, 2020 (451.67). LG software version 03.00.85 (did not update). I tested G-Sync using the pendulum demo. Frametime graph using Rivatuner demonstrates expected smooth waves as frame rate increases and decreases. I tested VRR at 1440p120hz.

There are two HDMI 2.1 ports, but no devices on market yet. 4K120hz is possible on HDMI 2.0 with 49NANO85UNA, but color format is limited to YCbCr420.

EDIT: Freesync support added on July 17 2020 with software version 03.10.25. I have not tried it yet.
I’m eyeing this as a SquareTrade warranty replacement. I know I’ll take a hit on contrast, but gaming features are to good to pass on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
I’m eyeing this as a SquareTrade warranty replacement. I know I’ll take a hit on contrast, but gaming features are to good to pass on.

See if you can get ST to just cut you a check for the price. They tried offering this one as a replacement for a failed KS8000 and I said no. Since they really didn’t have any viable replacements, they just cut me a check for my purchase price(minus tax).

This way you are free to pick what you want and not be constrained by what they have.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
See if you can get ST to just cut you a check for the price. They tried offering this one as a replacement for a failed KS8000 and I said no. Since they really didn’t have any viable replacements, they just cut me a check for my purchase price(minus tax).

This way you are free to pick what you want and not be constrained by what they have.

They refused. They said that the 2020 TCL 5 series met or exceeded my current display.
They said the LG was to much of an upgrade to approve.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
They refused. They said that the 2020 TCL 5 series met or exceeded my current display.
They said the LG was to much of an upgrade to approve.

That’s too bad. I got “lucky” if you wanna call it that, as mine failed in May, more during the height of the pandemic, so they had very little stock on hand to do replacements and I think that is why they were fast to just send me a check.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Have a very peculiar issue. I replaced a Samsung NU7100 with the Nano 85. TV is better in every way. But, I'm having a sound issue. The TV is connected to a Yamaha RX-V679 via HDMI/ARC. All other devices are connected directly to the Yamaha (Shield, Roku, and a DVD player:)eek:)). But when I play anything other than 2 channel audio, I'm not getting any front audio tracks. I'm not saying there's no sound from the front speakers, but all I'm hearing is the surround channels. I can even place the AVR in pure direct mode, and there's no change. Even stuff playing from my DLNA server via the LG media app does it. And what is the most puzzling is that if I'm playing something from the Roku or Shield, again connected directly to the AVR, and I go into the TV menu and turn off ARC, I lose all audio! Why is my audio being sent to the TV then back to the AVR? This didn't happen with the Samsung before it, also using ARC.

EDIT: nevermind. I discovered the center speaker wire had come loose. Couldn't see it without taking the speaker down. Sheesh... :oops:

·
Registered
645 Posts
to all owners of the NANO85/86 TV

1- DOES earc work on this set and with no issues ?
2- since it can't get bright; is the difference between HD-SDR and 4k-HDR/DOLBY VISION noticeable ?!
3- is there motion blur ?
4- is it possible to plug a usb drive with mkv or mp4 files and have DOLBY VISION ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 49nano86 at 4k 120 VRR (Gsync non-validated) at YCBCR444 10b 4L12, half of the screen with the quick brown fox test pattern is showing this. I'm not certain if its a panel issue or if its a cable issue. On a 3080 and IBRA 8k 10foot cable.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I am not familiar with this test...first time I hear of it.
But it could be an Issue with the avr as it cannot handle vrr more 120hz!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Had the 49Nano85 for a few days and returned it already.
The gaming features are fantastic, but some weirdness with FreeSync not working correctly caused PC games to shear and tear like crazy.

And the ADS-IPS panel seemed to be a huge improvement in contrast over LG offerings at 1550:1 vs the usual 700:1/900:1, but lacked any image depth in darker material.

Using the “local dimming” only helped a little since its mounted at the bottom edge and only had 6 zones causing vertical columns and any light source would cause the vertical columns.
Playing in a semi dark room was not a good idea (ignore the glare
In the right hand corner).
The upper left hand corner is light bleed.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sniff :(

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Had the 49Nano85 for a few days and returned it already.
The gaming features are fantastic, but some weirdness with FreeSync not working correctly caused PC games to shear and tear like crazy.

And the ADS-IPS panel seemed to be a huge improvement in contrast over LG offerings at 1550:1 vs the usual 700:1/900:1, but lacked any image depth in darker material.

Using the “local dimming” only helped a little since its mounted at the bottom edge and only had 6 zones causing vertical columns and any light source would cause the vertical columns.
Playing in a semi dark room was not a good idea (ignore the glare
In the right hand corner).
The upper left hand corner is light bleed.

I really wanted to like this display. It is the perfect size and will pair nearly perfectly with next gen consoles.
I wonder if I simply got a defective unit or if this is a risk across the board with these displays.

·
Registered
645 Posts
It does not seem a defect...clouding Comes with edge led...and vrr is still...a thing new and not really tested...so...

Reactions: Dr.Shankenstein

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It does not seem a defect...clouding Comes with edge led...and vrr is still...a thing new and not really tested...so...
You’d figure 13 years after introducing edge lit led displays they would have figured this out, lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So this is the state of the relationship of my RTX 3080 and my 49nano86 (03.11.20). I am using a 10ft, IBRA 2.1 HDMI Cable 8K Ultra High-Speed 48Gbps cable from amazon.ca. I also have a Dell s2716dg connected via display port.

The TV: This is nightmare to configure as the settings seem to vanish or disengage from time to time. I'm open to conversation about these settings. I've configured a number of different profiles with different features. Changing the energy mode is a hassle. Nuking the dimming is almost a neccessity. When I have it set right, its a phenomenal experience, but thats the thing, every time of day and different media requires different configurations.

On the PC:
When setting the TV as primary (4k 120hz VRR 4:4:4 HDR, G-sync non-validated enabled). Mashing the green remote button validates this connection.
'Pendulum test' works perfectly.
'UFO test multiple framerate' checks out.
'UFO test frame skipping checker' tested with Note 10+ (seems correct).

I got this TV for the VRR 120 at 4K features and also the wide angles as I'm roughtly 42 inches away from it and below it, the bottom of the TV frame is roughly 2 inchs above my sight line. I can't imagine any other TV getting these angles with these features short of OLED's angles. Considering testing larger 55" TV's in this setup but I don't know which to start with.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts