AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I have a 5yr old 48" curved 6700 samsung I'm using as a PC display which I hate with a passion. Tempted to get one of these as a cheap HDMI 2.1 PC display. I was considering the CX 48 but don't want to lay out the money for it. I'm running a 2080Ti right now, but will eventually upgrade to one of the newer cards with HDMI 2.1.

What's the difference between the Nano 85 and 86?
The Nano86 I believe is the UK model.
It also lack the ADS-IPS found in the US Nano85, so could be slightly worse contrast and motion performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Under freesync premium, anyone know the difference between high and wide, and which would be the best setting for Xbox Series X console? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Under freesync premium, anyone know the difference between high and wide, and which would be the best setting for Xbox Series X console? Thanks for any help.
A user/owner on rtings forum claims
Freesync;
High = local dimming enabled
Wide = local dimming disabled

Whether that affects the operating range of 40-120Hz is unclear, if you have a PC/laptop with an AMD GPU then it will report the working Freesync range in the GPU control panel.

Testing via Xbox might be more tricky, you'd have to set the console to 120Hz output with VRR disabled, find a 120fps game that stutters a lot (Devil May Cry 5 perhaps) then test high and wide with VRR enabled on Xbox, if game is smooth then 120hz VRR range is unaffected but if it stutters then one of those settings may also narrow the VRR range. Some people simply cannot eyebal this kind of thing so I'd find a laptop with AMD GPU to test with.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I agree, too large for my viewing area.
I sit about 4’ away.

I use a 43" Sharp Roku TV as my second computer monitor while teleworking. I'm probably about 3' from it, depending on how I move my chair. At that resolution, I need to be that close to use it as a monitor, since the text is too small to read from a distance. If I was in my office I'd have a trio of 24" monitors across my desk, plus the laptop display. I find the single 43" display actually works better, as I don't have to swivel around to see everything. But yeah, that 43" just barely fits on top of the desk. A 55" screen wouldn't leave anywhere for the laptop. At least, not the way my desk is currently set up. It's L shaped, and there are two more computer monitors (35" and 24") for my non-work PC as well. Have to have some desk space somewhere. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
hi all...
can someone please confirm the following :

1- is it possible to use the usb port to play MKV with DV and surround sound (using an AVR) ? i don't think so but...have to ask
2- does earc work well ?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
hi all...
can someone please confirm the following :

1- is it possible to use the usb port to play MKV with DV and surround sound (using an AVR) ? i don't think so but...have to ask
2- does earc work well ?
Can't answer #2, as my AVR doesn't support it. It also doesn't support DV, so my knowledge of #1 is second hand. Yes, it is now possible to play DV material. MakeMKV was updated to rip DV UHD discs a number of months ago. Now, playing it from the USB port might be an issue, since the TV itself doesn't support lossless audio. Of course, eARC is supposed to take care of that, so in theory you should be fine if your AVR supports eARC. I would assume there's a setting in the TV's audio menu to allow bitstreaming audio via eARC. Since I use an external player (Nvidia Shield) I don't have to worry about the audio, as it all goes to the AVR first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay so I have a few questions... got the nano85 for gaming and I wanted to ask what settings are best for the series x? I’m running with everything enabled and I keep noticing a slight flash on the screen when gaming. I’m assuming it has to do with vrr.

My second question, does anyone know where I can find the stupid footnotes/patch notes for this tv? I got a firmware update on the tv this morning and I wanted to see what was fixed and can’t find them anywhere.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay so I have a few questions... got the nano85 for gaming and I wanted to ask what settings are best for the series x? I’m running with everything enabled and I keep noticing a slight flash on the screen when gaming. I’m assuming it has to do with vrr.

My second question, does anyone know where I can find the stupid footnotes/patch notes for this tv? I got a firmware update on the tv this morning and I wanted to see what was fixed and can’t find them anywhere.
Thanks!!

Thanks!!
im a new owner as well trying to figure out what was fixed still can’t find a thing
Game picture (hdr) mode
Backlight 100 contrast 100 brightness 55 sharpness 0 color 100 tint 0 dynamic contrast off dynamic tone mapping off color gamut wide color temperature cool back level low motion eye care off turn on hdmi ultra deep color there’s also a hdr game calíbrate setting in the ( tv & display options) make sure you don’t freesync and VRR on pick one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ve
im a new owner as well trying to figure out what was fixed still can’t find a thing
Game picture (hdr) mode
Backlight 100 contrast 100 brightness 55 sharpness 0 color 100 tint 0 dynamic contrast off dynamic tone mapping off color gamut wide color temperature cool back level low motion eye care off turn on hdmi ultra deep color there’s also a hdr game calíbrate setting in the ( tv & display options) make sure you don’t freesync and VRR on pick one
so have vrr enabled on Xboxbut keep free sync off? Why is that? Is it currently not working well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ve

so have vrr enabled on Xboxbut keep free sync off? Why is that? Is it currently not working well?
stick to the one you want if you want free sync and then select free sync wide on the input settings mess around with it and see what’s working better I don’t have the new box yet just based on things that I’ve seen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ve

stick to the one you want if you want free sync and then select free sync wide on the input settings mess around with it and see what’s working better I don’t have the new box yet just based on things that I’ve seen

·
Registered
645 Posts
@Dr.Shankenstein i know you don't like HDR on this TV...as you said 3 weeks ago

1- For MOVIES: BUT is there any difference between 1080p bluray / AppleTV etc... Vs 4K HDR ? or is the picture the same (brightness, colors etc...) ? if there is no difference there is a serious issue about the TV...a couple of friends here, did tell me that 4k HDR is BETTER that 1080p SDR...

2- same question....for games : SDR 1080p vs 4K HDR ? any difference ?

·
Registered
645 Posts
with the current price of the nano85 get it and save your money. the nano90 has full array but its algorithm its not up to par with other brands in the same price range. i'm also looking at the 49 inch for my next gaming monitor for ps5 and series x
if it is not too late, let me answer that :

NANO90 is BETTER because of:

• uniformity
  • brighteness in HDS
  • local dimming is quite better

still that TV is no match for samsung and sony...

·
Registered
6 Posts
My tv settings SDR (film maker preset)

backlight 80 contrast 95 brightness 50
Sharpness 25 color 65 tint 0 / advance controls. dynamic contrast off / super resolution off. color gamut wide/ gema 2.2 color temperature cool
(picture options) noise reduction low
MPEG noise reduction off. Smooth reduction off. Real cinema off. Motion eye care off. LED local dimming off
True motion off

HDR Settings(Normal HDR Dolby vision HDR) movies Apple TV / Netflix
Picture mode standard preset
Backlight 100 contrast 100 brightness 55
Sharpness 0 color 100 tint 0 color temperature 0 Advanced controls
Dynamic contrast off dynamic tone mapping off dynamic color off color gamut wide. Super resolution off.
Picture options noise reduction off
MPEG noise reduction off. Smooth gradation off. Real cinema on. Motion eye care off. LED local dimming off. True motion off.

(gaming settings HDR) game picture preset. backlight 100 Contrast 100 brightness 55. Sharpness 0 Color 70 Tint 0.Dynamic contrast off dynamic tone mapping off dynamic color off color gamut wide. Super resolution off. Color temperature cool. ( picture options) Black level low motion eye color off
Side note if game is to dark bump color up to 100

SDR TV settingSide note: Color may be oversaturated for low quality content but for a football game at night or in a dome for me it’s worth the trade off it looks a lot better the better the quality of the content the better the TV looks obviously such as Grey’s Anatomy SVU station 19 the good doctor

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
@Dr.Shankenstein i know you don't like HDR on this TV...as you said 3 weeks ago

1- For MOVIES: BUT is there any difference between 1080p bluray / AppleTV etc... Vs 4K HDR ? or is the picture the same (brightness, colors etc...) ? if there is no difference there is a serious issue about the TV...a couple of friends here, did tell me that 4k HDR is BETTER that 1080p SDR...

2- same question....for games : SDR 1080p vs 4K HDR ? any difference ?
The issue isn’t just the HDR, but the local dimming feature in general.
If you don’t use it, the displays black levels take a substantial hit and nearly all shadow detail or image depth is lost.
HDR just exacerbates the situation by pushing any area with a light source wash out.

If you are in a well lit room most contrast and light issues are lessened quite a bit, but as soon as the lights go out it rears its head.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got a 49 nano cell 85 tv, I have to say the picture is video games is just too dark, can’t see character faces.

Also when free sync is enabled, local diming setting is grayed out. Any one else seen this too?

41 - 60 of 84 Posts