AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just got my Nano91 today. So far I got 2 complaints. 1. The stand is horrible (I know the 91 uses the center stand vs the 90 separate feet) but the TV feels super wobbly. 2. The TV seems really thick compared to previous TVs. I have an SK9500 which was a 2018 NANO and its 1/3 thinner. And I had a previous UH8500 that is probably 1/2 as thin.
Since you had the TV now for a few weeks, anymore updates on how you like/dislike about the TV besides the 2 complaints you first mentioned?

·
Registered
16 Posts
But late last night I did the torture test for any tv, yep, Mandalorian. I had to turn the backlight way down and adjust the gamma for it to look acceptable. And it was. But I would have to adjust it back for any show that had a ton of bright scenes.
Interesting, is the TV running in HDR for the show? Because if it was you wouldn't be able to adjust gamma. Otherwise, I've found it particularly important to set various presets for various ambient light levels and content.

The highest I run my backlight at night (lit room) is about 50 with high local dimming, but that's with a dim streaming channel. Usually 35 off the PC. SDR. HDR needs 100.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the 86" Costco model. I'm an audio guy more than a video one, this met my criteria so I didn't obsess about the purchase, and the set is working well enough for my purposes.

That said, I was playing Hitman 3 on a non-pro PS4 (so 1080p). The PS4 detects the set as supporting HDR, and the game itself has an HDR mode. I found the graphics were washed out in HDR and looked substantially better with HDR off. I also found it odd that the gamma adjustment within the game did virtually nothing, with HDR either on or off. Neither experience makes sense. There was a question earlier on about washed out HDR on a Shield with Netflix, and while I have a Shield I don't have a Netflix sub to test.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Endaar
I have limited experience with HDR gaming, but did try setting it up with RDR2 on PC. Needed to start with the tv's factory game preset unadjusted and then use the in game calibration menu for max brightness / paperwhite, then went back and made minor tweaks to the TV settings. It was a bit glitchy too. I was surprised to see the TV has an entirely different set of presets when running in HDR mode and that you would get the obvious HDR TV popup when switching to HDR mode in windows.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was surprised to see the TV has an entirely different set of presets when running in HDR mode [...]
Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't notice this. Mind elaborating a bit? Thanks.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My 65Nano90 will be arriving Monday. This is an upgrade from my Samsung 65ks8500 curved panel. I’m really looking forward to it! That Crutchfield 60 day return window will be handy, if I really like it, I’ll send it back for a 75”.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Hi, all,

I"m trying to determine if this LG Nano 90 is the right fit for me. I've read through this entire thread, RTINGS review, other reviews, Reddit, etc. I still think this is in the running for me.

- We are remodeling our basement family area. It will have a bar area with TVs, a play area, and a TV area. They play area will be between the TV area and the bar area. There is one window in the tv viewing area that does have blinds.

- Its a wide area, so viewing angles are important.

- We watch a ton of sports. Sports and news are the main things we watch.

- We will also watch some movies and TV shows with our family (our two kids for the most part, and then extended family/friends). This isn't a home theater by any means, but our family loves watching the Mandalorian together, for example, and all sit on the couch together.

I know this TV has some drawbacks, but given my situation (viewing angles, seated 11 feet+ from TV, sports and news channels) do you think this is a safe bet?

I've sort of ruled out some Samsung and others due to VA panels not having good viewing angles and not being quite as good for sports. I would purchase an LG OLED but burn in (sports and news channels) has scared me.

Looking for a 65-75 inch TV. $2000 or so is my budget - that's why the LG CX OLED is in the running. It would be a slam dunk were it not for the burn in concerns.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone, brand new to the forum and learned that this was the perfect place to ask questions about audio and video. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. I recently purchased a tv for my gaming room, the LG 55" Nanocell 90 series and decided to wall mount the panel in the room. The kit I used to installed was the Sanus Advanced Tilt Mount from Best Buy. I know the screw size for the LG is M6, but the kit only came with M6 12mm & M6 35mm. I measured the depth of the mount hole with a toothpick to get an idea of what size I should use. I decided to go with the M6 35mm, utilized a 5mm spacer, and took into account the actual bracket and washer that goes onto the back of the tv during installation. I didn't feel much resistance while screwing the hardware into the back of the television. My questions are, were the M6 screws that I used too big for this TV? What kind of damage would have been done if the screws are too big? I did take a look in the user manual which had no info about wall mount screw size, but did some research on their LG mount. The VESA pattern is 300x300 and the one's included in their kit utilizes M6 45mm, but have guide spacers. It's really my first venture into a 4K tv, so I'm trying to alleviate any potential or future issues. I do have the tv mounted on my wall and thus far no issues. Thanks again for anyone that can help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Okay. I know you probably want to make up your own mind, but if you're willing to trust my judgment, here goes:

I honestly like the Heesung ADS panel better than the LG IPS one. Apparently LG does not even make ADS panels, so any ADS tv is being made by Heesung, who has a partnership with LG.
Every ADS panel has this pixel dimming, but it's a lot more difficult to notice on a 55in panel than a 65 or 75in panel, but it's still there. That's why rtings misses it sometimes in the 55in reviews.

From staring at tvs for hours at the store:

LG IPS benefits:

Better perceived resolution up close
Better Sharpness up close

Heesung ADS benefits:

Better color
Better depth
Better gradient handling
Better aliasing smoothing
Less noise and artifacts (ironically)

The Heesung ADS looks worse within two feet, but if you back up 4 or 5 feet from the tv, the panel looks nicer than the LG IPS panel.
If I were given the choice to exchange my tv for an LG IPS version, I would probably say no.
The LG IPS panel looks flat and washed out, even though it looks better up close. Both tvs are on "store demo" setting (settings automatically reset every few minutes)

Look at the back of your tv, or the box. It will read 65Nano90XXX.XXX*XXX
The * will be a letter.
W=LG IPS
F=Heesung ADS
P, Q, U, V, W, Y are all LG IPS, but I think only W is what they are using in 2020.

There are letters for VA panels too, but I left them out because they are not relevant to the Nano series.
I've got an ADS, "F". Definitely notice the screen door at about 2 feet and it flashes with the orange test pattern. But overall it looks good, no problem with using it as a computer monitor from about 6 ft away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't notice this. Mind elaborating a bit? Thanks.
With SD content, you have like ten preset options, but when you feed the TV HDR content (you'll see the HDR popup), the number of presets drops to like 5 or 6, and they don't keep the same settings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dungy - your info much appreciated

I purchased a 55NANO86UNA.BCCBLJR (back label says assembled in Mexico factory ID LZ) as a second TV (have 55SK8000PUA) and attempted some sleuthing but cannot decipher the trailing 7 letter code. Where is B (4th pos) panel manufacturing - Russia?

Look at the back of your tv, or the box. It will read 65Nano90XXX.XXX*XXX
The * will be a letter.
W=LG IPS
F=Heesung ADS
P, Q, U, V, W, Y are all LG IPS, but I think only W is what they are using in 2020.

There are letters for VA panels too, but I left them out because they are not relevant to the Nano series.
LG announced it was ending LCD panel manufacturing in Korea by end 2020, but has extended production due to Covid.

There are 55NANO85 TVs available in Calgary from other stores (eg Visions) with the F (Heesung) panel.

A comparison of the specs does not distinguish panel manufacturer (eg ADS vs non ADS in the NANO85), and gives me only the 7NA not the UNA version:

... suggesting the 85: (8 bits + FRC), freq 48-120 Hz, TruMotion 240 vs the 86: 10 bits, freq 40-120 Hz, TruMotion 200 (may not be correct for UNA version I have).

I have tested the NANO86 TV using a variety of YouTube test videos, and I think I'm getting a nice picture, but black levels and backlight bleed from the top and bottom edge LED arrays is terrible (especially in the corners), and much worse than my 2018 LG 55SK8000PUA.BCCWLIR (back label also says assembled in Mexico factory ID LZ).

I tested these two (the 2020 NANO86 and 2018 SK8000) beside each other. The NANO86 seems a bit brighter, with a few more features given the a7 Gen 3 AI processor 4K (and 4K 120 for gaming), but for watching cable TV they are almost identical - have to say I expected more!

Any suggestions on NANO86 with B panel vs NANO85 with F panel welcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have no knowledge of a B panel, but here's some extraneous information for you:

D AUO MVA
F Heesung ADS
G Chi Mei TN
H Chi Mei MVA
J Chi Mei MVA
M Sharp VA
P LG IPS
Q LG IPS
R LG TN
S Sharp MVA
T AUO MVA
U LG IPS
V LG IPS
W LG IPS
Y LG IPS

Also, there are multiple F panels and multiple W panels.
In the Nano90, Rtings got a W panel with BGR chevrons pointing right, while HDTV Test got a W panel with RGB chevrons pointing left.
There are at least three different F panels with different shaped pixels among Nano80, 81, 85, 86, 90, 91 if you look at the close-up pixel pictures on Rtings.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well i bought this tv for the main purpose of gaming on it, and lol, so far, Ive been mostly watching TV series on it. I can honestly say I really dont know what to think of it. (Keep in mind, this is really my third use tv behind my projector and qled)

I watched the same episode of the Mandalorian on both the nano and the qled. The qled does better in the dark scenes, the nano does better in the bright scenes(more natural). There are times I think the blacks look horrible, and then there are times (especially in bright daylight scenes) that I say to myself, dang that looks good.

So the people that say this tv is bad, I could see why they say that. And to the people that say they love it, I can also see why they say that too.

I've had a new xbox since launch day, and knew the ps5 would just be the luck of the draw. Well yesterday while glancing at twitter i saw that there was going to be a ps5 drop on Gamestop, so I got on and lo and behold scored one with the bluray drive. It will be here next week, and it was a bundle that had the spiderman game on it so i'm anxious to try out all the different input modes on this tv to see what looks the best.

Reactions: gamermwm

·
Registered
151 Posts
Greetings LGers!
Sound issue with nano90

Hi, So i got my 65nano90 and I have all new HDMI cables and I have a new sonos arc sound bar connected to the E-Arc port. I can get Dolby Atmos from internal apps and from blue ray on xbox but whenever i try to play any content that has Atmos from my Apple TV, I get silence. After talking to tech support at apple, sonos and LG (they all blamed each other) I am no where. I know that the sonos doesnt currently support LPCM, but i tried playing Atmos content from the Apple TV to only the internal speakers with Atmos enabled on the tv and still get no sound. Does the TV not support this? Or do I simply need to wait till the sonos is updated and hope that the TV will pass thru LPCM? Thanks! PS, i have tried different cables, ports, even a new Apple TV and it didnt solve it
I don't see this mentioned explicitly, but first I have to assume that you have an Apple TV 4k and not just an Apple TV. Important distinction. Assuming I'm correct, I don't know anything about Sonos, but there's a thread on Apple Communities I found on Apple TV 4K, Sonos Arc and Dolby Atmos. Perhaps you'll find your answer there? Apple TV 4K, Sonos Arc and Dolby Atmos - Apple Community

Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
OK, so my new 65" Nano90 was delivered on Monday. It replaced the previous TV in my den, an 8-year-old 55" Samsung LED/LCD that served us flawlessly (and is now continuing to do so in my bedroom), but with so many technical advances since, it was just time to make the leap to a 4k/HDR smart TV.

I have the Nano90 hooked up to another new acquisition, a Denon AVR-S750H that has the features to match the LG. Also in the mix is an Apple TV 4k, which I bought a couple of years ago knowing that it would eventually be used when I got a 4k set. Both the TV and Apple TV are connected to the receiver. And everything appears to be working fine. The TV is displaying Dolby Vision content. I'm getting Dolby Atmos sound (even though my speaker configuration is not an Atmos config). The content I've streamed thus far, whether from the Apple TV or directly from the TV itself, has looked great, whether from Netflix, Disney+, or Apple TV+. It's just not delivering the "wow" factor I kinda sorta hoped it would.

Now I knew I was buying a Nano90, not an OLED, and I'd read reviews of the Nano90 that rate it as a solid, but not great, TV. IPS panel, only 32 dimming zones, blah blah, etc. etc. etc. When I looked them side-by-side in the store, I could see the difference between this TV and an OLED TV, so my expectations weren't that high going in. Or maybe they were? I did expect a noticeable improvement over the Samsung, especially in terms of picture detail, and I'm just not feeling it yet.

So here are my questions:
  • Do I not have the settings right? I've been under the impression that choosing one of the preset modes was all you really needed to do with these sets, but perhaps I'm mistaken?
  • Are the recommended settings I've seen on the LG support website or rtings.com (LG NANO90 Calibration Settings) a good place to start? I will likely fool around with some of these.
  • Should I manually calibrate? I have an old AVS DVD that I used to calibrate my Samsung and I still have a blu-ray player that will play it. Will that tool work with this set the same way it did with a 1080p non-HDR TV? Or, is there another recommended tool that would work better with a 4k HDR set? And no, I'm not going to pay someone a lot of money to come to my house and calibrate this set.
  • Should I consider returning the Nano90 (I'm still well inside the return window) and spending a few hundred dollars more on something with a VA panel (there are only two of us living at my house, so viewing angles are probably not that important)
  • Or, should I simply relax and enjoy the perfectly nice LG 4k TV that's working fine and that I purchased for less than $1000, even if it hasn't initially blown me out of the water?
Thanks in advance for any thoughts about this first world problem! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Energy saving off
Filmmaker mode (game mode for games)
Backlight 100
Local dimming high
Set white balance to preference

Is a good start
Note: sdr, hdr, dv are separate and you have to set all three for each input. Apps are global

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you re not a gamer, i would say get a va panel. If you re getting a next gen game console, i would keep this. This tv has a lot of settings. Dark stuff is weaker because of the ips panel. But hdr tv shows with bright scenes look great. But few tvs can do [email protected] and [email protected] like this can. Its a great tv for next gen gaming. Now if you watch a lot of dark shows this tv isnt for you. But this tv does bright colors great, and colorful programs, even in sdr, look great. You can put a 6500k bias led light strip behind the tv(attached to tv) and it will help.

In the end, this tv is an ips panel, and it will struggle with dark content. But it does some things very good. You just have to decide what you want in a tv. I wanted a next gen game console ready tv. I really wanted a sony 900, but it doesnt support [email protected] so that tv was out. And the samsung qleds that could was priced a lot higher. Oled was out because of screen burn issues. So this won by default. Ive had it almost a month, and I would buy it again.

Reactions: gamermwm

·
Registered
151 Posts
Energy saving off
Filmmaker mode (game mode for games)
Backlight 100
Local dimming high
Set white balance to preference

Is a good start
Note: sdr, hdr, dv are separate and you have to set all three for each input. Apps are global
Thanks so much @Dungy! These settings definitely made a difference. I still have some time left during my "eval" period, but this helped a lot in improving the picture on this set. Thanks again.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If you re not a gamer, i would say get a va panel. If you re getting a next gen game console, i would keep this. This tv has a lot of settings. Dark stuff is weaker because of the ips panel. But hdr tv shows with bright scenes look great. But few tvs can do [email protected] and [email protected] like this can. Its a great tv for next gen gaming. Now if you watch a lot of dark shows this tv isnt for you. But this tv does bright colors great, and colorful programs, even in sdr, look great. You can put a 6500k bias led light strip behind the tv(attached to tv) and it will help.

In the end, this tv is an ips panel, and it will struggle with dark content. But it does some things very good. You just have to decide what you want in a tv. I wanted a next gen game console ready tv. I really wanted a sony 900, but it doesnt support [email protected] so that tv was out. And the samsung qleds that could was priced a lot higher. Oled was out because of screen burn issues. So this won by default. Ive had it almost a month, and I would buy it again.
@Jerry Durham - Thanks, I think this is solid advice. I'm not a gamer. The Sony 900 is the other set I was considering, but was a little more money (only a couple of hundred $$ though) at the time (although with the LG no longer on sale at BB, the difference is only $50) and my thinking was that the LG would be a major leap forward regardless. Dungy's recommendations worked great, so the picture has already improved quite a bit, but I'm going to continue thinking about this. ATSC 3.0 support in the Sony is intriguing as well should I eventually return to OTA for local channels, sports, etc. Anyway, we'll see. Have a nice weekend.

261 - 280 of 316 Posts