AVS Forum banner

301 - 316 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
i need a 4KTV primarily for gaming (but would be used for TV and movies some too) and i had some issues with a Samsung and then a Sony where they both had to be returned, my current TV is an LG 1080p 3DTV from 2012, but it's time to upgrade to 4K / HDR with the current game consoles, but i also play alot of older game content too and after having to return a Samsung for screen issues and a Sony for primarily compatibility issues, After those problems, i really now just want to go back with another LG since it's lasted for almost 9 years without issues, problem is, while it's LG's best LCD TV, i hear the LG Nano 90 isn't very good, and the LG OLEDs overtime could develop burn in and are much more expensive to boot, so from those who have seen or own this TV, I need to know how bad this TV really is, how's the HDR, how's it do in a bright room and how bad is it in a dark room, any insight would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I honestly don't understand the hate this TV gets. I own the 86" Costco version (with the center stand), and am quite happy with the purchase.

I'm in a completely dark room at a 9' viewing distance. Obviously it's not an OLED so it doesn't have perfect blacks, but I find the black levels are completely acceptable with good shadow detail and minimal if any black crush. It's also so bright that I have the backlight turned down to about 85%, and despite that there is plenty of contrast. HDR looks great and I can't imagine how much more color output people are looking for. Ironically it's the HDR logo that appears when the set goes into HDR mode that shows the worst of the local dimming, with a significant gray area surrounding the logo. But this is simply not an issue when actually watching content. White credits on a black background for instance show a faint increase in the black level compared to parts of the screen where the backlight is completely off, but you have to be looking for it to notice it, and even then, it's minimal and not at all distracting.

Connectivity-wise the set seems to have everything one could want. I'm honestly not up to speed on the 120Hz stuff because while I do own a PS5, my pre/pro doesn't do 120Hz and I prefer the 60Hz detail setting on games anyway. The set does have multiple 4K/120Hz inputs however, and you can certainly read up elsewhere on the other gaming features it supports. It's definitely a solid gaming TV.

While I don't use the built-in apps (I stream through a nVidia Shield) it seems well accepted that LG has the best operating system; the UI is fast, the remote works well, etc.

I think this is a situation where if you sit and watch test patterns you will find things to be unhappy with. But if you actually watch content or play games on it, whatever shortcomings it may have are just not significant. And you also can't ignore the price. People are fawning over the Samsung QN90A, and it's entirely possible it's a better set - but you can get the 86" LG for the price of the 65" Samsung.

Hope this helps a bit. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Endaar

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ok guys
So far I am getting around this TV (Nanocell90)
There seems to be an issue with ambient Light room sensor or if there anything like that built into the TV.

In the Day Time when watching Dolby Vision content on Netflix or Disney+ with Cinema(user setting) the display is completely dark and I can barely see anything, Standard and Cinema Home are also dark but watchable.
In the Night Time same content Netflix or Disney+ and picture seems ok not bright as HDR content but much much better compare to the same content in the day time.

Can someone please help understand what is going on, I have turn all the energy saving mode etc.. off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ok guys
So far I am getting around this TV (Nanocell90)
There seems to be an issue with ambient Light room sensor or if there anything like that built into the TV.

In the Day Time when watching Dolby Vision content on Netflix or Disney+ with Cinema(user setting) the display is completely dark and I can barely see anything, Standard and Cinema Home are also dark but watchable.
In the Night Time same content Netflix or Disney+ and picture seems ok not bright as HDR content but much much better compare to the same content in the day time.

Can someone please help understand what is going on, I have turn all the energy saving mode etc.. off.
Not sure about an ambient sensor, I have different presets for daylight vs. lit room night vs. gaming vs. dark room/movie vs. sources with odd gamma. All the built in presets can be tuned.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No, not at all. The Samsung is superior by a lot (in my opinion). LG uses IPS panel and has poor native contrast and its local dimming is not nearly as good as Samsung. Stick with Samsung or perhaps Sony. Stay away from LG LED TVs.
I think it will be a huge upgrade. Aside from IPS panel, everything else about the LG is better. It starts with quality control. I had 11, yes, eleven Samsung’s in a row, and all were defective right out of the box.

Personally, I would never buy a Samsung product ever again, period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Need help! Below are default picture setting when watching HDR or DOLBY VISION content on my LG 75NANO 90

DOLBY VISION STANDARD PICTURE SETTINGS

DOLBY VISION CINEMA HOME PICTURE SETTINGS

DOLBY VISION CINEMA PICTURE SETTINGS

As you can the picture get darker and darker, I am not sure what is wrong with my TV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

i am from Germany and I have a question regarding my new 65Nano917na.
I can’t find the setting: „AI Picture“ under Settings->AI- Services. The only settings available are AI Brightness, AI Genre and AI Sound. But the internal manual, the online manual, (the original package) and online reviews say that there is the option for AI-Picture. Even for a Alpha7 Gen3 Chip. I called LG and they said that an extra option never existed. It’s automatically activated in the firmware. Is that right ?
Does your Nano90/91 have the AI-Picture option ?
Thank you very much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
Everything is ok with your TV. Cinema and Home Cinema are always darker than standard mode. It’s the same for other TV brands and TVs too.
But you can raise the background light to a higher level. I did it too.
Did you activate the AI-Brightness under General Settings -> AI- Services ?
This options adapts the tone mapping for HDR/Dolby Vision to your room Ambient light. It’s a great feature for me. But you have to raise the background light too in picture Settings.
best regards

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hello,
Everything is ok with your TV. Cinema and Home Cinema are always darker than standard mode. It’s the same for other TV brands and TVs too.
But you can raise the background light to a higher level. I did it too.
Did you activate the AI-Brightness under General Settings -> AI- Services ?
This options adapts the tone mapping for HDR/Dolby Vision to your room Ambient light. It’s a great feature for me. But you have to raise the background light too in picture Settings.
best regards
I have set AI brightness and I think AI brightness doesn't work for cinema just cinema home and standard, the brightness of the TV is set 60 and backlight 100 I can't see anything when I select dolby or hdr cinema is selected.
Standard and cinema home are barely watchable.
Years of upgrading TV's every 2 years I have never seen a TV this bad when it comes to picture quality.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
it’s true. In comparison to normal HDR, Cinema and Cinema Home is darker in Dolby vision. But it’s ok. Not as dark as your pics. Maybe yours is really broken ?
I used the standard mode for Dolby vision with some personal tweaks. So it’s a bright picture.
BTW: How about the AI Picture? Do you have this option in your AI-Services ? (See my post above)
Thank you.
My last tv was a Panasonic EXX789 and this tv is better in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Can I suggest a full factory reset?
I did and also got LG to replace the main board, so now I am wondering what is the issue with this TV.

My 4 year old 42 Sony Android TV looks better in HDR content than TV

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys.
May you tell me, if there was or still is under your current firmware the setting
„AI-Picture“
in the AI-Services. (AI brightness, genre and sound)
I think it was removed lately, but lg says it was never there. But it’s written in the manual, the tv internal manual, online tests and on the big tv package too.
Thank you very much.

301 - 316 of 316 Posts