AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2026 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This thread is dedicated to the calibration and user settings for the 2020 LG OLEDs.
After Series 9,10 should follow, but LG decided to use the Roman numeral "X" instead. The BX, CX, EX, and WX models with a 4K display will be released in April 2020. The 8K display will be named ZX and will be released in 65 and 77 inches. LG will also release a 48 inch model for the first time.

CES 2020 is just around the corner, so I'm going to update this thread as soon as I have new information about specs and calibration capability.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
LG will introduce with 2020 Models their new Alpha 9 (Gen 3) *MediaTek S900* AI processor with AI Picture Pro function, which recognizes faces and texts among the picture elements and displays them with particularly natural skin tones and with crisp details. The “Auto Genre Selection,” on the other hand, recognizes which type of content is displayed and adjusts the image content accordingly. The function differentiates between film, sports, standard, and animation. Attached, we see a glimpse of the new high-end 8K Model 88 ZX.

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
-- reserved --

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
New Calibration Related Features for 2020 Alpha 9 Gen 3 equipped LG OLED TVs.

1. New HDR internal test pattern generator. You can now fully validate HDR10/HLG after CalMAN AutoCal HDR calibration.

(Note: Dolby Vision calibration still can only be validated using external pattern generator)

2. TV GUI menu Two Point white balance controls are no longer grayed out after CalMAN 1D LUT AutoCal calibration. This was a Hollywood requested feature so they can manually tweak the white balance after calibration. They wanted this for perceptual matching tweaks when matching an LG OLED to a reference monitor.

3. HDMI Override Menu. This feature was another request from Hollywood post production users. This is a hidden menu that is triggered with a remote key combination. I will post a video showing the code and how to activate it.

The HDMI Override Menu allows a user to force the TV into HDR10 or HLG mode, change the colorimetry from BT.709 to BT.2020. You can also pick the mastering display peak and MaxCLL value that gets fed into the SoC. There are certain things in this menu that do not work currently, Because they are seen as features that might be added in later models or years. For example, the colorimetry setting has a P3D65 mode, but it does not actually do anything because the TV does not have a P3 gamut mapping.

4. FILMMAKER MODE (both SDR and HDR mode) can be calibrated with CalMAN AutoCal.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Reversed 😂

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
It's going to be interesting to see if the Alpha9 Gen3 is a totally new SOC or an add on like the 2019's.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The name suggests the second option.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
LG will introduce with 2020 Models their new Alpha 9 (Gen 3) AI processor with AI Picture Pro function, which recognizes faces and texts among the picture elements and displays them with particularly natural skin tones and with crisp details. The “Auto Genre Selection,” on the other hand, recognizes which type of content is displayed and adjusts the image content accordingly. The function differentiates between film, sports, standard, and animation. Attached, we see a glimpse of the new high-end 8K Model 88 ZX.
Noooooo!!!!!
That is just appalling.
WTF are they thinking???

As a colourist, that worked closely with film DoPs, this is the last thing that at viable TV should do.

A GOOD TV should display the image exactly as the production intended - NOTHING MORE.

Steve

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Unfortunately, all manufacturer is going to add some of these auto "optimization" modes, which every calibrator and enthusiast will deactivate of course.

According to our current state of knowledge, Dolby Vision IQ will be another mode of that kind, and LG should be the first one who will support that new format with their 2020 models. It automatically adjusts the brightness of the HDR playback according to the room environment. However, it is still open whether Dolby Vision IQ can also reach older models via a firmware update.

Attachments

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I'm also curious about what their BFI is going to be this year? Are they going to implement what we got with the demo model last year or are we going to see something new?

Robert Zohn has a meeting scheduled with Neil Robinson at CES next week so in addition to any announcements hopefully we will get some additional technical details from Neil on whatever enhancements they are releasing this year. I believe he is going to do another video with Neil like what was done last year.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Noooooo!!!!!
That is just appalling.
WTF are they thinking???

As a colourist, that worked closely with film DoPs, this is the last thing that at viable TV should do.

A GOOD TV should display the image exactly as the production intended - NOTHING MORE.

Steve
IMO, they may be thinking commercial survival in the worldwide mass market for retail consumer display sales. These are not competing with the Sony BVM-300 et al. They must compete with a retailer’s wall full of consumer displays, often in VIVID mode. Like many here, the best I can hope for is that unwanted extraneous processing can be turned off.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
IMO, they may be thinking commercial survival in the worldwide mass market for retail consumer display sales. These are not competing with the Sony BVM-300 et al. They must compete with a retailer’s wall full of consumer displays, often in VIVID mode. Like many here, the best I can hope for is that unwanted extraneous processing can be turned off.

The is an “AI Picture” toggle on 2019 TVs that disables all this processing.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
So after reading some LG official releases on their 2020 OLED lineup, it appears if you turn off the AI feature, it looks like the "same old" TV in the B and C series with probably a ton of bug fixes. Interesting no E series this year.

Film mode looks interesting though.

I guess we will have to wait until sets hit the street to see if there are any panel changes including peak brightness. I believe if there were some improvements in this area we would have heard something by now.:(

Reactions: helvetica bold

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
LG will introduce with 2020 Models their new Alpha 9 (Gen 3) *MediaTek S900* AI processor with AI Picture Pro function, which recognizes faces and texts among the picture elements and displays them with particularly natural skin tones and with crisp details. The “Auto Genre Selection,” on the other hand, recognizes which type of content is displayed and adjusts the image content accordingly. The function differentiates between film, sports, standard, and animation. Attached, we see a glimpse of the new high-end 8K Model 88 ZX.

The Alpha 9 Gen 3 is a new LG SoC (O20), completely new silicon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Better near black performance from the new processor would be appreciated,seems like LG 2020 comes with dull upgrades.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
I have updated my post at the beginning of the thread with new calibration info now that LG embargo has lifted.
If the new SOC upscales as good as the 8k OLED we have in the store then it's going to really improve the PQ on the 4K 2020 TVs. I hope they tell us what improvements they made to motion processing.

Reactions: helvetica bold

·
aka jfinnie
5,268 Posts
The Alpha 9 Gen 3 is a new LG SoC (O20), completely new silicon.
Is the Alpha 9 Gen 3 a separate additional chip to the MediaTek S900? Or another name for the MediaTek S900? Or a tweaked version of the MediaTek S900?
Or is the info posted that this is a MediaTek S900 (or close relative) incorrect?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Usually manufacturers can’t wait to change their SoC name (even for minor added features) as it makes it look like something new. If they didn’t bother doing so, and the occasion was tempting for the presence of the X, then it’s really the same 2018 chip in a new casing.

1 - 20 of 2026 Posts