AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 968 Posts

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
the grayscale would take about 35 mins and it was not reading the darker levels right at all. I know it should be a easy fix hopefully especially if HDR and DV were calibrated alright.
I'm not surprised about your problems with the darker levels. The i1d3 is only accurate down to 0.1 nits - reference on Tedd's page >here<. I'm struggling to find any kind of spec for your version of that meter (the i1display pro), but surely if they had improved the near-black performance they would have mentioned it at least somewhere, any not need 10 minutes of intensive googling to find nothing about it! ;)

So no, it is certainly not an "easy fix hopefully", sorry.

For this reason, one strategy that many of us find successful is to never ever touch the factory 1DLUTs, because any replacement you can create will not be as good.

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
I’m having issues calibrating SDR on my CX so far it’s only be SDR as HDR and DV have all been calibrated without an issue. I’ve followed the tutorial as intended and I’m using an Idispay pro plus and I’ll include post results in a picture. (The picture was taken after 3 calibration attempts which is why pre calibration results are not there as I wanted to see if the issue repeated)

yes I’m running the 2020 LG pattern Generator and using the latest Calman software the grayscale would take about 35 mins and it was not reading the darker levels right at all. I know it should be a easy fix hopefully especially if HDR and DV were calibrated alright.
What are your low light settings in the meter ? Assuming you are using the low light handler ?The i1d3 can read down to 5 % or lower pretty well if it is setup correctly .

77CX YTTV AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are your low light settings in the meter ? Assuming you are using the low light handler ?The i1d3 can read down to 5 % or lower pretty well if it is setup correctly .

True I just looked at the low light handler was not activated any suggestions what I should set it to? Since it is SDR I want to make sure I don’t set it incorrectly and thank you for the feedback and response

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
I have used this setting lately it does slow down low light readings quite a bit , prior to that I used 5 seconds fixed with good results .

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have used this setting lately it does slow down low light readings quite a bit , prior to that I used 5 seconds fixed with good results .

Thank you I’ll try that when I get home today and post my results to see if it helps and also post the rest of me results as well.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Thank you I’ll try that when I get home today and post my results to see if it helps and also post the rest of me results as well.
I have a 77" CX on the way, and I am gathering steps I'd need to follow to calibrate it.

Few questions:
1. How many hours should I get on it before starting the calibration?
2. Where can I find DNice settings (or best settings) to plug in in the meantime?
3. I have a i1D3 meter which I created a correction file for from a I1DPro meter. Can I use this correction file in the calibrations?
4. Where can I find a discrete step-by-step on how to calibrate and it's various side-steps?

·
Registered
11,766 Posts
I have a 77" CX on the way, and I am gathering steps I'd need to follow to calibrate it.

Few questions:
1. How many hours should I get on it before starting the calibration?
2. Where can I find DNice settings (or best settings) to plug in in the meantime?
3. I have a i1D3 meter which I created a correction file for from a I1DPro meter. Can I use this correction file in the calibrations?
4. Where can I find a discrete step-by-step on how to calibrate and it's various side-steps?
I’ll take a shot at 2 of these , generally you want 200 to 300 hours on the panel before calibration , but there is no reason you can’t do it sooner but there is a good chance it will drift . Meter profiles are display specific so you will want to create a new one when you get your set . Calman does a pretty good job of waking you thru the required steps imo.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Just to add, if you have an i1D3 and an i1Pro, all you need is Calman Home for LG and you are all set. The test pattern generator is built into the TV and there is a step by step video on the Portrait web site. You can calibrate at any time but just plan to calibrate again after 200 hrs. when the panel stabilizes. You don't have to load any shared settings in your situation.

Reactions: chunon

·
Registered
480 Posts
It will take a few practice runs to get the calibration routine right. Might as well start calibration practice soon after you get your set. You will be all set for a great run when you get to 200 - 300 hours.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi guys, do we know yet if the near black issues have been resolved on dolby vision with vrr enabled? Or are there any steps I can take to calibrate it out. Thanks for any advice you can provide.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I am a beginner in calibration, i use HCFR.
I calibrated yesterday my new 48cx , I find the details a bit lacking in the dark.

Is it worth it to try calman to improve it even further?

·
Registered
9,474 Posts
I am a beginner in calibration, i use HCFR.
I calibrated yesterday my new 48cx , I find the details a bit lacking in the dark.
Hi,

Can you post a measurement file from HCFR for grayscale and your near black?

How you generate your patterns for the Grayscale calibration, and what is your TV HDMI Black setting?

How do you evaluate your near black details?

Have you used any brightness pattern with flashing bars from your movie playback source?

See to your HCFR preferences to have dE2000 as error formula with Absolute Y w/ gamma selected, for the software to report the luminance errors to your GrayScale.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Good results with 5 seconds fixed or with the new configuration :?

I tried the settings Tylor posted and yeah... it took me twice the time then with usual fixed values... (makes sense of course)

·
Registered
152 Posts
If calibrating in a pitch black room, how far off the screen could I have the meter? I have the i1display pro plus. I have a tripod I plan to put it on which with my current set up I can get it roughly 12 inches from the screen. I can get it closer it would just be extra work, is that distance too far?

·
Registered
885 Posts
If calibrating in a pitch black room, how far off the screen could I have the meter? I have the i1display pro plus. I have a tripod I plan to put it on which with my current set up I can get it roughly 12 inches from the screen. I can get it closer it would just be extra work, is that distance too far?
You can have it much farther than that.
You can use this tool for optimum meter distance based on your display size, pattern size and meter: Meter Distance & Pattern Size Calculator | Display Calibration Tools
CFC

·
Registered
LG G6 G7 CX 65"|| Sony HX950 65" || Sennheiser Ambeo || LG SJ9 || Bose Soundtouch 300 || Oppo 105D
31 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to display calibration.

I am getting a slight pink/magenta cast/shift after calibration. It is not too noticeable on its own but it is apparent when switching between calibrated and uncalibrated modes. When switching between factory modes the difference is in blue/yellow, but when selecting the calibrated modes it just appears slightly pink. My post-calibration result seem to suggest it should be accurate.

I am using LG CX on the newest firmware, Calman Home for LG (followed their youtube guide) and i1 display pro plus. The meter was in direct contact with the display using a tripod.

I also tried before without tripod and found the pink/magenta was worse (the meter was not sitting 100% flush with the display.) It is much better with tripod, as I couldn't get a good result before, but the pink cast is still there. Is anyone having the same problem? Any idea on what might have caused it? It my meter faulty?

Also I could not update the tonemap to my TV when calibrating for HDR. Crashes Calman every time I click on upload...

Finally I am also having trouble calibrating the HDR cinema mode, the color delta is random every time I calibrate. Just take many tries to get a half decent result... I calibrated HDR game and it was good with only 1 try (but also have the pink shift)

IMG_9129.jpeg

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to display calibration.

I am getting a slight pink/magenta cast/shift after calibration. It is not too noticeable on its own but it is apparent when switching between calibrated and uncalibrated modes. When switching between factory modes the difference is in blue/yellow, but when selecting the calibrated modes it just appears slightly pink. My post-calibration result seem to suggest it should be accurate.

I am using LG CX on the newest firmware, Calman Home for LG (followed their youtube guide) and i1 display pro plus. The meter was in direct contact with the display using a tripod.

I also tried before without tripod and found the pink/magenta was worse (the meter was not sitting 100% flush with the display.) It is much better with tripod, as I couldn't get a good result before, but the pink cast is still there. Is anyone having the same problem? Any idea on what might have caused it? It my meter faulty?

Also I could not update the tonemap to my TV when calibrating for HDR. Crashes Calman every time I click on upload...

Finally I am also having trouble calibrating the HDR cinema mode, the color delta is random every time I calibrate. Just take many tries to get a half decent result... I calibrated HDR game and it was good with only 1 try (but also have the pink shift)

View attachment 3027538
Most people think that D65 on these TVs look slightly pinkish.

You might want to consider an alternative white point.

There is a thread in this forum about that topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
LG G6 G7 CX 65"|| Sony HX950 65" || Sennheiser Ambeo || LG SJ9 || Bose Soundtouch 300 || Oppo 105D
31 Posts
Most people think that D65 on these TVs look slightly pinkish.

You might want to consider an alternative white point.

There is a thread in this forum about that topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the answer!

Another question if you got the time to answer it..

Should I use OLED profile for the X-rite meter in CalMAN? Some people were saying that the OLED profile for i1Display isn't meant for WRGB OLED TVs. If so what should I be using..?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello,

Sorry, I'm pretty sure this question has been answered many many times but I don't have the time, for now, to go thru all the pages. What would be the best calibration hardware I can get for 500$ ~ ?

Thank you

·
Registered
152 Posts
So I'm thinking about going with Lightspace after reading a lot about errors with posterization and color banding using the Autocal process with Calman. One thing I saw as well is that a good idea would be to profile my meter using an FSI EDR for WRGB OLEDs and that this could be downloaded through the free version of Lightspace but I'm not getting anything. Any useful advice on this?

481 - 500 of 968 Posts