AVS Forum banner

841 - 860 of 1019 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Where do you see when it's manufactured?

You have to open the box and see the meter and see that.

The packages have the same X-Rite labels, will say copywrite 2012...something like that, its the print info of the label, not when meter produced.

Certification is for 18 months.

Any meter has natural aging, so I can't really tell you if one meter is still good after many years.

It has many variables, about humidity, direct sun exposure, dust etc.

Generally, I'm not suggesting users buy used Specto.

It's a better idea to save money and get your brand new unit.

i1PRO2 is not EOL; X-Rite will not produce new units...once all units currently available to stores sold out.

It's not that i1PRO2 is not a good meter; just after some time, it will not be available to buy a new stock model.
Hey there quick question (not sure if the right place to ask but you seem like the right person XD)

I am in the process of attempting to autocal my CX (ran into so so many errors so far). Just realised my dad has a i1 Photo Pro 2 - is that possible to use with my i1 Display Pro? Any benefits? Is that what you mean by Spectro? Sorry I am VERY noobie with all this!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
By measuring with HCFR madTPG output manually on CX48LB, I found out that the true 10% brightness peak it about 600 nits with slightly sigmoidized PQ.
Dynamic everything and logo stuff was turned off.
Is that correct or was something wrong?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
When you measure peak brightness you need to put up a 10% window and continuously measure for about a minute or two. You will see PB start to rise and it will eventually stop. That's what your PB is. My guess is if first read is 600 nits you will probably peak at around 650-675 nits which is fine. From my experience the 48 inch LGs usually measure less than the other OLEDS and there is a lot of panel variability. The other thing to check before you do any testing is the White Point. Set it to D65 or whatever you like and then measure. You can use the 2pt controls to set it for a quick test.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can anyone please confirm this for me? On the 77" LG CX, if I have the HDMI input labeled as PC and I'm connected to a PC, are all of my picture modes that I use in PC supposed to have disabled options in the "Advanced Controls" menu? Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Color Gamut, CMS, Peak and Brightness are all "grayed out" in every picture mode except ISF Day and Night. Is this normal behavior for having the HDMI port labeled as PC through the Home Dashboard, or is this abnormal? I noticed the TV disabling options in my menus after attempting a horrendously failed LG Auto Cal. I tried everything to revert to my original factory settings, and had to ultimately do a factory reset and unplug it for 10 minutes to make the TV not look like it was on an acod trip. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
29 Posts
What do you mean that is not an issue?

Who are you? ...to say to any user that he will have no problem with 03.11.26?
Ted, is the Color Management System supposed to be "grayed out" and not useable in ANY picture mode preset while the HDMI input is labeled PC except tor the ISF Day and Night Presets? All of my Advanced Picture settings except for White Balance are unusable while my HDMI input is named PC. When it is not named PC, they are useable. Is this normal? I think this unsuccessful LUT that I applied to the TV with Calman Home for LG has destroyed it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
On the 77" LG CX, if I have the HDMI input labeled as PC and I'm connected to a PC, are all of my picture modes that I use in PC supposed to have disabled options in the "Advanced Controls" menu? Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Color Gamut, CMS, Peak and Brightness are all "grayed out" in every picture mode except ISF Day and Night. Is this normal behavior for having the HDMI port labeled as PC through the Home Dashboard, or is this abnormal?

I have just checked. Seems abnormal. I have full control of all the settings in PC Mode, except for White Balance. I checked Standard, Game, Filmmaker and ISF Day. I checked for SDR only. Did you ask about HDR modes in particular, or does this happen to you in SDR as well?

So, what's the take-away here?
Is HDR Autocal broken with the current firmware (.25/.26, the difference seems unclear), or did anything go wrong during your calibration process?
In other words: Is this an individual mistake, or is it a general problem?
Is it a bad idea to go for HDR Autocal with this firmware?

·
Registered
166 Posts
@jrref
You seem to have come across a couple of different CX sets by now:
Have you experienced the near-black "glowing" greys in HDR on any of them (some report it in SDR and DV, too)?
Even after a panel swap I am still plagued by this issue. I also know of a couple of other users here that suffer from it.
Some of them also had their panel (and even their main boards) replaced, but the issue persists, which makes me believe this is a more wide-spread issue. On the other hand, others report a spotless HDR representation.
I hope I can defeat it with the next Calman version and its shadow detail compensation feature, but I'm also asking for other users who don't plan on doing any calibration.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just checked. Seems abnormal. I have full control of all the settings in PC Mode, except for White Balance. I checked Standard, Game, Filmmaker and ISF Day. I checked for SDR only. Did you ask about HDR modes in particular, or does this happen to you in SDR as well?

So, what's the take-away here?
Is HDR Autocal broken with the current firmware (.25/.26, the difference seems unclear), or did anything go wrong during your calibration process?
In other words: Is this an individual mistake, or is it a general problem?
Is it a bad idea to go for HDR Autocal with this firmware?
I have no controls except for White Balance in PC mode SDR. I have yet to check HDR Game mode. Calman is garbage! It ruined my CX, and I made absolutely no mistakes. I followed a video by Rafcave to the T on how to do the autocal. It seems loading the LUT broke the TV when I tried to reset it. I am on Beta Firmware 3.11.25.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you have problems before calibration, they are coming from tone mapping in DoVi. Only LG can fix it.

If you have a different problem after calibration, then these problems are added from calibration.

Since you can't generate patterns without magenta flashes, you can't see if you have magenta flashes problems.

CalMAN doesn't have a drift plot to analyze to see how the panel is drifting when you have that 'unwanted' full-field magenta, which stresses more the panel and increases temperature, even from the fact that you use 1-sec delay instead of regular 0.4-sec.

Its not just a simple magenta patch, its 100% Magenta in full-field in HDR mode.

iTPG of LG missing many patches, so it will not update to the next patch; you can see this even if you try to measure just a grayscale or ColorChecker. 1-2 patches will require to update them manually.

You use delay 1 to prevent the previous patch's temp image retention and avoid the full magenta flash to leave any temp image retention and affect the reading of the 'new' patch you display.

The issue with LG is that the magenta full fiend issue introduced my FW release.

TV had no problem before a specific FW update.
Please help me Ted. I am really worried that my CX is ruined. Is the Color Management System supposed to be "grayed out" and not useable in ANY picture mode preset while the HDMI input is labeled PC except tor the ISF Day and Night Presets? All of my Advanced Picture settings except for White Balance are unusable while my HDMI input is named PC. When it is not named PC, they are useable. Is this normal? I think this unsuccessful LUT that I applied to the TV with Calman Home for LG has destroyed it. I just need solid confirmation that I have a problem, and if I do, what can I do to get my controls back?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
@jrref
You seem to have come across a couple of different CX sets by now:
Have you experienced the near-black "glowing" greys in HDR on any of them (some report it in SDR and DV, too)?
Even after a panel swap I am still plagued by this issue. I also know of a couple of other users here that suffer from it.
Some of them also had their panel (and even their main boards) replaced, but the issue persists, which makes me believe this is a more wide-spread issue. On the other hand, others report a spotless HDR representation.
I hope I can defeat it with the next Calman version and its shadow detail compensation feature, but I'm also asking for other users who don't plan on doing any calibration.
If you are not going to calibrate the you get what you get. Once calibrated i've not seen any significant visible raised blacks. They are not 100% perfect and i would prefer they were but maybe firmware will fix it at some point.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
Please help me Ted. I am really worried that my CX is ruined. Is the Color Management System supposed to be "grayed out" and not useable in ANY picture mode preset while the HDMI input is labeled PC except tor the ISF Day and Night Presets? All of my Advanced Picture settings except for White Balance are unusable while my HDMI input is named PC. When it is not named PC, they are useable. Is this normal? I think this unsuccessful LUT that I applied to the TV with Calman Home for LG has destroyed it. I just need solid confirmation that I have a problem, and if I do, what can I do to get my controls back?
Did you try a factory reset, unplug then plug in the TV? There is no way to "ruin" the TV unless you did something in the Service Menu since a Factory reset will put all the settings back to default including any LUTs.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Ted i don't want to disagree with you but again i'm not seeing this either. I'm now checking every set i calibrate with this exact footage.
LG has removed from the DE support site, the address where people can download FW updates the .26 FW for CX.

On Sunday, it had .26 FW:

On Monday, they removed it, and it had the .10 FW for download:

From Tuesday, the page updated with .25 FW:

And we have to notice the downgrade has been removed from 2018/2019/2020 models from LG, so for the broken LG FW release installed here, there no solution unless a newer version of FW will be available in the future.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
LG has removed from the DE support site, the address where people can download FW updates the .26 FW for CX.

On Sunday, it had .26 FW:

On Monday, they removed it, and it had the .10 FW for download:

From Tuesday, the page updated with .25 FW:

And we have to notice the downgrade has been removed from 2018/2019/2020 models from LG, so for the broken LG FW release installed here, there no solution unless a newer version of FW will be available in the future.
Yep i saw it. Very discouraging. I wonder what's going on with their testing. Very rarely have i ever seen a pull back on release firmware but here we have it. I'm positive we should be seeing a newer firmware relatively soon from LG. I hope it's good. I believe they made fixes to the HDMI 2.1 and gaming functions in these releases which may explain why some people who have .26 loaded feel the release is ok when watching content and not gaming.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So you think they pulled the .26 because it was buggy?
It definitely seems a better idea to postpone any Autocal until there is a new FW, maybe even better until the new Calman Version is out.
Thanks, jrref, for the information on the raised near black greys. I got high hopes for the shadow detail compensation to fix it for me.
Ceterum censeo, LG should fix those raised near blacks. User's can't be expected to calibrate their TVs to get proper near black handling.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
So you think they pulled the .26 because it was buggy?
It definitely seems a better idea to postpone any Autocal until there is a new FW, maybe even better until the new Calman Version is out.
Thanks, jrref, for the information on the raised near black greys. I got high hopes for the shadow detail compensation to fix it for me.
Ceterum censeo, LG should fix those raised near blacks. User's can't be expected to calibrate their TVs to get proper near black handling.
You know, i don't have any more information about the release than you, Ted and others. All i know is when i saw Ted's posts i spent extra time testing to see if i could replicate what he saw. Again, i don't have the game consoles or hardware to check those interfaces. All i can check is did the TV calibrate normally, does my test content and patterns play correctly in all the different picture modes. I use several of Teds test patterns in my testing. For the couple of sets i worked on they were fine. But that doesn't mean there may be a problem, especially if they pulled it. I have high confidence we will see more firmware soon.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
And i forgot to mention, we have no idea if this release did anything to the internal test pattern generator. If you are using it with Calman or ColorSpace or whatever software it would be good to know. Maybe Tyler can give us some idea on the status of the iTPG.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
I have Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Files version 1.1. I will be calibrating the CX using Calman Home for LG. Will this be bit perfect if I play these files in the LG Media Player to do my reads and make adjustments? Will I not see a wonky gamma with these files? Also, which color gamut files should I use when doing color on the LG CX? 75% Luminance 75% Saturation, 75% Luminance 100% Saturation, etc.?? I'm sorry to ask so many questions. Just want to make sure these files I bought from you are still going to do the job correctly with the current Calman on the CX using the LG Media Player. Also, does it matter if one of the grayscale patterns is paused while the meter reads it, or do they have to be actually playing to be accurate? I ask because some reads take longer than the patterns run for (Using an i1 Pro 2).
Hi,

You can play these files from LG Media Player (or your Player USB).

You can see there how you can measure each chapter:

About 75% Saturation, open Manual Calibration workflow and use ColorSpace page.

Then change @ Workflow Basic Options the Saturation level to 'only 75%' and stimulus level to 75%.

Using the same page, you can use the four color gamut options you will see available in the disk patterns:

100% Saturation with 100% Stimulus

100% Saturation with 75% Stimulus

75% Saturation with 75% Stimulus

75% Saturation with 75% Stimulus

You can configure from that page to take 4/5/10-Point Saturations.

10% Sweep = 10-Point Saturation Sweep

20% Sweep = 5-Point Saturation Sweep

25% Sweep = 4-Point Saturation Sweep

When you want to perform a full calibration and evaluation, you will need a colorimeter (i1Display PRO) to profile using your i1PRO2 as a reference.

You can see why a colorimeter/spectro is required here.

Then you will use the ''corrected'' i1Display PRO for the whole calibration session.

Meter profiling is an initial procedure.

i1PRO2 is not able to perform a full calibration as its lucking low light capability.

A stand-alone i1Display PRO can be used as a meter for a full calibration. (with or without meter profiling with a Spectro)

The reason why the patterns are only 10 sec short, it's for preventing the users from pausing them and making real-time adjustments.

It's not a good idea to display the same patch for a long time to use the OSD menu to change the controls for many reasons:

Ideally, measure the patches, then display a black patch....pause a pattern between the pattern info window - actual patch.

BTW the PGenerator users of Ted's disk, can do this by injecting a black frame patch, using the 'Display Black Pattern' button.

After having a black patch displayed, the panel will cool down, then look at the Charts of your software and guess which adjustments to apply to all controls are once for reducing your RGB balance errors.

You can adjust only one color channel, for example, but all points of that channel.

For example, to your GrayScale RGB Balance, if you have +20% more Red, -5% green, and -20% Blue, look at your gamma also....

If your target luminance is lower, you will have to increase luminance using the color channels.

So add blue/green.

If your target luminance is lower, you will have to reduce luminance, so remove Red.

Apply the changes at all controls at once, close OSD, and then measure the whole grayscale again.

That method will have better gradation as your changes between controls will be more linear per color channel.

For CMS, start with RGB controls many times until it will become stable and then adjust CMY.

But display periodically Color Ramp patterns to see if your adjustments break the LG internal color management algorithm.

While you want to reduce your dE errors, you want your adjustments not to introduce your content issues.

So the best way to evaluate this during your calibration is to display grayscale and color ramps periodically (with PGenerator, the injection is very easy and saves time).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi guys
Finally calibrated all my picture modes with autocal and am very happy!! Colours look fantastic.

One thing I do notice, the blacks are very black - I assume this is what people call black crush? It does seem a little annoying sometimes, especially when watching with natural daylight in my room. I read somewhere that there is a potential fix for this in the Calman FW update beta??
Other than the beta, is there any other way I could try to adjust this? Mainly see this in HDR/DV modes.

Can really see how ‘black’ everything is in this scene from Stranger things in DV autocal’d cinema.

Another final question for reassurance, I definitely find the calibrated inputs are now warmer than what I’m used to (this is my first OLED). From what I understand, this is normal and just takes some getting used to correct?

Thanks again guys, you’ve all been a tremendous help.

Ricky

·
Registered
166 Posts
Have you used the 2020 iTPG for DV Autocal? As far as I know there is still a bug with Calman (or the LG?) which crushes blacks in DV when you use the 2020 iTPG.
I got the same results on my first try. I read here that for DV you have to set the source for DV to OLED 2019 iTPG, which did not give me any black crush.
I am not sure if this recommendation still holds true, maybe others can confirm.
Go back a couple of pages for more information:

841 - 860 of 1019 Posts