AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 1019 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Have you used the 2020 iTPG for DV Autocal? As far as I know there is still a bug with Calman (or the LG?) which crushes blacks in DV when you use the 2020 iTPG.
I got the same results on my first try. I read here that for DV you have to set the source for DV to OLED 2019 iTPG, which did not give me any black crush.
I am not sure if this recommendation still holds true, maybe others can confirm.
Go back a couple of pages for more information:
Thanks for your reply!
Yes I chose 2019 as the iTPG and selected 2020 for the other one. Still getting these overly black results

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
Yes I chose 2019 as the iTPG and selected 2020 for the other one. Still getting these overly black results
It sounds like you panel would benefit From the new shadow detail control in Calman 2020 R2 Beta. Send me a PM and I will get you a link to it.

Tyler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Hey there quick question (not sure if the right place to ask but you seem like the right person XD)

I am in the process of attempting to autocal my CX (ran into so so many errors so far). Just realised my dad has a i1 Photo Pro 2 - is that possible to use with my i1 Display Pro? Any benefits? Is that what you mean by Spectro? Sorry I am VERY noobie with all this!!
You can use the i1PRO2 to create a meter correction table for your i1Display PRO.

Then continue the full calibration using your profiled i1Display PRO.

That process will improve your i1Display PRO color accuracy, see.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
When you measure peak brightness you need to put up a 10% window and continuously measure for about a minute or two. You will see PB start to rise and it will eventually stop. That's what your PB is. My guess is if first read is 600 nits you will probably peak at around 650-675 nits which is fine. From my experience the 48 inch LGs usually measure less than the other OLEDS and there is a lot of panel variability.
You have confused a regular TV peak level measurement with a dragster racing.

Dragster drivers don't care if the car will be damaged, pushing it to the limits.

When you measure a peak level, you will not try to burn your TV with permanent image retention.

It's a regular peak output measurement, nothing special.

It will require to measure 100% White, and that's it.

You can try to measure just an 11-Point Grayscale multiple times to see which deviations you have to see the variations in peak per each run.

The fact that WRGB OLEDs are unstable in HDR mode is something you can't prevent.

Keep these methods for you, but please don't suggest them to other people's TVs.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Can anyone please confirm this for me? On the 77" LG CX, if I have the HDMI input labeled as PC and I'm connected to a PC, are all of my picture modes that I use in PC supposed to have disabled options in the "Advanced Controls" menu? Dynamic Contrast, Super Resolution, Color Gamut, CMS, Peak and Brightness are all "grayed out" in every picture mode except ISF Day and Night. Is this normal behavior for having the HDMI port labeled as PC through the Home Dashboard, or is this abnormal? I noticed the TV disabling options in my menus after attempting a horrendously failed LG Auto Cal. I tried everything to revert to my original factory settings, and had to ultimately do a factory reset and unplug it for 10 minutes to make the TV not look like it was on an acod trip. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
When you enable PC Mode, it will bypass many processing units internally (to reduce latency), so a lot of TV functions/menus will be disabled.

It's pointless to do this as the LG's will not work correctly with PC Levels Full Range.

Internal LUT capabilities will now work for PC Full Range levels also.

AutoCAL is not suporting PC Full Range also.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Ted, is the Color Management System supposed to be "grayed out" and not useable in ANY picture mode preset while the HDMI input is labeled PC except tor the ISF Day and Night Presets? All of my Advanced Picture settings except for White Balance are unusable while my HDMI input is named PC. When it is not named PC, they are useable. Is this normal? I think this unsuccessful LUT that I applied to the TV with Calman Home for LG has destroyed it.
It's normal to have some functions disabled when you enable the PC Icon.

It's also normal to see White Balance/gamma or ColourSpace grayed-out when you are using internal LUTs:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
If you are not going to calibrate the you get what you get. Once calibrated i've not seen any significant visible raised blacks. They are not 100% perfect and i would prefer they were but maybe firmware will fix it at some point.
When a TV doesn't have a problem with lifted blacks before calibration but has lifted blacks after calibration, in that case, the calibration is responsible for the problem.

If you want to check if a TV produces a problem with loaded 1D LUT, it's easy to find it.

Just upload a reset 1D LUT for HDR10/DV and check the near black.

DoVi in 2020 LGs has an issue in tone mapping; it's a different issue, affecting even an uncalibrated TV.

So for that particular issue, LG can fix via FW update.

Its known problem from 2018 the lifted blacks when you are using internal 1D LUT; it's nothing new.

It's the reason we have found methods to bypass that problem because it seems complicated for LG to fix.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
And i forgot to mention, we have no idea if this release did anything to the internal test pattern generator. If you are using it with Calman or ColorSpace or whatever software it would be good to know. Maybe Tyler can give us some idea on the status of the iTPG.
I have informed the AVForum forum about any FW change regarding iTPG.

3.10.25/3.10.26 still need the same patchscale as 03.11.10, for LightSpace/ColourSpace and CalMAN users have to connect as iTPG 2019 in DoVi mode only.

For LightSpace/ColourSpace:

3.10.20 FW (15 July, one day after FW release):

03.11.05 FW (25 Sept, same day as FW release)

03.11.10 FW (8 Oct, same day as FW release)

Tyler, from July until now, he has never posted a single time the correct recommendation for DoVi iTPG for CalMAN, to any thread.

See how many times he has posted incorrect setting for DoVi iTPG:

09 July: "I can confirm the new CX firmware enables the 2020 generator."

So all started from there, as Tyler never tested all modes to see that 2020 iTPG enabled for SDR/HDR10 but not the DoVi.

28 August: "You use "HDR 2020" for both HDR and DV."

28 August: "With the current firmware you need to use the 2020 pattern Generator.

When the TV is in Dolby Vision mode the pattern signal is automatically sent to the correct generator. Essentially for SDR/HDR The new pattern generator is used but for Dolby Vision the old one is used but the TV handles this in the API automatically so you need to always connect as the 2020 generator.
"

Here you can find the details explanations why many users have lost their time in DoVi based on Tyler's incorrect recommendation:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Did you try a factory reset, unplug then plug in the TV? There is no way to "ruin" the TV unless you did something in the Service Menu since a Factory reset will put all the settings back to default including any LUTs.
It will not require to perform a factory reset since by enabling the PC icon, it will disable some functions to all LGs OLEDs from 2015 till now.

The same is happening with Samsung TVs for at least ten years when you name the HDMI input as PC.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Have you used the 2020 iTPG for DV Autocal? As far as I know there is still a bug with Calman (or the LG?) which crushes blacks in DV when you use the 2020 iTPG.
I got the same results on my first try. I read here that for DV you have to set the source for DV to OLED 2019 iTPG, which did not give me any black crush.
I am not sure if this recommendation still holds true, maybe others can confirm.
Go back a couple of pages for more information:
It's not a CalMAN bug, and it's about how TV works.

Just CalMAN had to inform the users what to use, to be available somewhere that info as guidance, somehow to tell:

''Hey CalMAN users, after the FW release for CX in July, please connect as iTPG 2019 in CalMAN until further notice''...it's very simple.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Thanks for your reply!
Use that info:

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
It sounds like you panel would benefit From the new shadow detail control in Calman 2020 R2 Beta. Send me a PM and I will get you a link to it.

Tyler
Why is that function not available for 2018/2019 TVs also?

Do you know how it works to explain it better?

You recommend using an HDR pattern, but the TV has disabled tone mapping, so it's working in SDR gamma-based response... gamma 2.2 calibrated during that process.

What exactly are you adjusting using an HDR pattern when the TV works in SDR but high-brightness mode?

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
You have confused a regular TV peak level measurement with a dragster racing.

Dragster drivers don't care if the car will be damaged, pushing it to the limits.

When you measure a peak level, you will not try to burn your TV with permanent image retention.

It's a regular peak output measurement, nothing special.

It will require to measure 100% White, and that's it.

You can try to measure just an 11-Point Grayscale multiple times to see which deviations you have to see the variations in peak per each run.

The fact that WRGB OLEDs are unstable in HDR mode is something you can't prevent.

Keep these methods for you, but please don't suggest them to other people's TVs.
Ted I’m not sure I agree because when you generate a 100% hdr patch and measure it the panel is not at a temperature similar to what it would be at when watching most HDR content.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
Ted I’m not sure I agree because when you generate a 100% hdr patch and measure it the panel is not at a temperature similar to what it would be at when watching most HDR content.
When you are watching HDR, you have a higher APL to the scene, which will enable the ABL, and It will reduce the peak output globally.

The TV will not get the 'heat' level to a fixed area of the screen as pixels will change 24 times per second to display something else.

Please don't recommend silly useless ideas to other people TV; displaying for 2 minutes a fixed pixel/static 100% White in HDR is not helping any testing.

You can't compare fixed pixel status with changed per frame pixels status.

Even if the temperature the same, the panel will damage if you keep overheating a specific region for a long time with fixed pixels.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the replies D-Nice and Ted.

I am not going to lie, I am seeing many terminologies and idea being used here, and I am really beginning to get confused (all I have done in the world of calibration is a simple SM WB and a Calman autocal)

As mentioned earlier, I am getting high blacks in DV/HDR modes, and everything looks quite warmer than what I am used to after the autocal.

Without me confusing myself any further (sorry, I am very noob and beginner here 😂), what do you suggest I do?

Shall I complete a factory reset, and manually calibrate everything so that I can receive good blacks and less warmth than what autocal had given me?

In that case, where shall I look to learn how to do a manual calibration step by step? As for autocal, I followed Tyler’s YouTube video.

Otherwise, shall I just try the R2 beta to fix the blacks??

What will you do if you were in my shoes??

Thanks again for all your great help so far, I am just beginning to get confused here with all this information

·
Registered
LG OLED55CXPTA. i1 Display Pro Plus. CalMan Home for LG.
54 Posts
I feel a bit guilty asking this, but are there any decent near-black brightness test patterns for SDR + HDR that are available freely?

I'd love to support Mr. Masciola, but as a pretty casual Autocal person it's hard to justify that expense for me currently...

EDIT: I found the form for @ConnecTEDDD's LightSpace Calibration Disk (free version) and have put a request in. It looks like that test pattern will be suitable for SDR at least. Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk Free Version Download Link Request Form

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
When you are watching HDR, you have a higher APL to the scene, which will enable the ABL, and It will reduce the peak output globally.

The TV will not get the 'heat' level to a fixed area of the screen as pixels will change 24 times per second to display something else.

Please don't recommend silly useless ideas to other people TV; displaying for 2 minutes a fixed pixel/static 100% White in HDR is not helping any testing.

You can't compare fixed pixel status with changed per frame pixels status.

Even if the temperature the same, the panel will damage if you keep overheating a specific region for a long time with fixed pixels.
I was not suggesting displaying a fixed patch for long periods of time. I was just explaining the behavior when you do. I understand what you are saying but i still feel measuring a patch with a couple of reads over about 5 seconds will give you a better idea of peak brightness than a single read.

·
Registered
6,984 Posts
How do you determine what temp a unit will be with regular content?
That's exactly the point, you can't. But as we have discussed, i feel multiple reads at 100% for about 5 seconds will give you a better idea of peak brightness than a single read.

861 - 880 of 1019 Posts