AVS Forum banner

921 - 940 of 1332 Posts

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Just finished HDR Game autocal on my cx with the calman r2 beta. My HDR10 calibration came out awesome, average delta e at 0.5 for grayscale and less for color.

However, I am very confused about how my HDR Game autocal came out. Below are the results after greyscale autocal and the post-calibration verification.

On the grayscale autocal, every point is below the 0.5 target, but when i do the post cal verification, my errors are very high? Im not sure what to make of this...is this a crummy calibration, or just my tv and I cant do anything about it?

I ran it 3 times, and got pretty much the same results each time. Any thoughts on this?
View attachment 3048720

View attachment 3048719
So when you do the grayscale the HDR tone mapping is turned off and your results look fine. Post cal the HDR tone mapping is turned on, that's the reason why you see that bump at 70%.All your results look good.

Reactions: saiyanzzrage

·
Registered
934 Posts
So when you do the grayscale the HDR tone mapping is turned off and your results look fine. Post cal the HDR tone mapping is turned on, that's the reason why you see that bump at 70%.All your results look good.
oh, awesome, thank you so much, John.

I apologize for all of these basic questions I have posted in this thread. I am learning, and really appreciate it.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
9,727 Posts
oh, awesome, thank you so much, John.

I apologize for all of these basic questions I have posted in this thread. I am learning, and really appreciate it.
It's the reason there are two separate "with luminance" and "without luminance" graphs on that page. (bizarrely and confusingly shortened to "w/o", as if the word "without" wouldn't fit on the screen).

You can always right-click on the graph with the dip and change it to the "without luminance" version if you like.

Here's an additional explanation.

HTH

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's the reason there are two separate "with luminance" and "without luminance" graphs on that page. (bizarrely and confusingly shortened to "w/o", as if the word "without" wouldn't fit on the screen).

You can always right-click on the graph with the dip and change it to the "without luminance" version if you like.

Here's an additional explanation.
View attachment 3048726
HTH
Very helpful thank you!

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
188 Posts
After using FSI EDR, I found that the color is not very accurate. After comparison, I found that raw xyz is closer to my movie monitor. I do not know what effect will be used c6? Unfortunately, our country c6 is particularly expensive! !
Maybe because of this:

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
Maybe because of this:
Nope. Those EDRs are one and the same. The FSI EDR is not yet "official", as XRite doesn't include it in the SDK for the I1D3 (and hence not in I1Profiler). It was created by XRite as a 3rd party project using data from FSI and Light Illusion, IIRC. The OP was comparing what he was seeing from calibrating with the FSI EDR to another display. Without knowing the calibration state of that monitor, you can't assume his results were valid. The only sure way to determine accuracy is measurement with a reference meter.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Not sure if this will help anyone, but I was able to finally figure out a way to use an HDR black level clipping pattern in HDR game mode.

Previously, to calibrate SDR/HDR game mode, i was using my PS4 in the background to be able to put the tv into game mode, and then run the autocal from there. The problem was, if i opened an hdr clipping pattern on my usb drive connected to the tv, it put the tv into hdr cinema, with no way to engage hdr game mode.

Last night I had the thought of plugging the same thumb drive into my 2019 shield pro, and boom. I was able to engage hdr game mode for calibration, and then used kodi to play the hdr clipping pattern, and the tv stayed in hdr game mode! I was able to dial in the shadow detail controls on my cx perfectly. My cx had raised blacks, so I reduced the shadow detail from the default 14/320 to 14/190 and its as close as i can get coming out of black.

I used mehanik's c65 pattern to dial it in, same pattern i used for HDR cinema.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I have tested the whitepoint and corrected it to true D65 with service menu "mean" high point (for modes where white point cannot be corrected further) then 2-point calibration on top of that where I could.
This was with i1Studio spectro, in Judd & Voss reference which matched best visually to lightbox by my eyes for many screens. i1 Display Pro also has no issues profiling the screen.

10- and 22-point grayscale is worthless as it introduces serious visible banding and also measured with the spectro - oscillating color temperature. Wasted many hours on attempting something smooth there.

The TV also applies this on top of 2-point, which is interesting.
Judd & Voss is not an industry standard.

There are many other newer CMF methods, but we use CMF 1931 as the whole industry uses that one as a standard.

Perform SM WB 109% RGB balance with RGB-High.

Then continue with 20-Point RGB balance 0-100% from Regular TV menu (without adjusting Luminance control).

If you apply linear-logic adjustments per color channel to 20p, you will not issue the gradation of the grayscale ramp.

Use colorimeter for calibration, not a Spectro.

Use the Spectro for meter profiling only, but you have to use the Bodner method of CalMAN or the FCVM method of ColourSpace.

The standard meter profiling method does not work for WRGB OLEDs.

Using x 309 y 329 with JETI Spectro or x0.312 y 0.3356 with i1PRO will work better from regular D65.

TV also needed a tint skew set to G8 so that secondaries match their locations more accurately. Magenta is still a bit off.

All controls combined to provide a global adjustment based on all your settings to the LG processing unit.

I have no idea why LG disables so many options in PC mode or even in Standard (non-Game) mode in non-PC. The CMS secondary tuning options in it would be rather useful.
Because gamers need lower latency, so LG disables some additional processing to reduce the input lag.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Judd & Vos is indeed not an industry standard, though it does make for a better looking D65 whitepoint for some reason. CIE 1931 gives slightly bluish result on both i1d3 and i1 Studio, while new CIE 2012 10 deg observer gives slightly reddish result.

The problem with profiling is that Calman does not recognize i1Studio - they removed it in 2020 version and last 2019 does not see it either, X-rite service enabled or not.

I'm not sure how off the calibration DisplayCal does is, but it does not seem to be much - the measurements in HCFR from i1Studio and same matrix in i1D3 match.
Mind you I had to hack on HCFR for it to recognize i1Studio (as Colormunki Display).

So far I got serious loss of gamut from calibration, about 2 dE, will work on it some more and also attempt AutoCal.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Tedd, could you please list the proper Calman settings for doing a profile with the i1 Display Pro Plus, and the i1 Pro-2? I'm unclear about some of the settings like Raw XYZ, and WRGB OLED. How about low light handler? Any help in this area would be so very much appreciated.

Also, I'm trying to calibrate my PC mode Game Preset on my LG CX. I'm using your disc (The Calman patterns) so what should I use to play them in my PC that will not effect the patterns? VLC media player seems to cause the 80% to 90% to go all wonky. What can I use to keep your files bit perfect while calibrating my Game mode on my PC?
Hi,

When you perform meter profiling, you need the colorimeter not to load any custom EDR spectral correction; select RAW XYZ, which is not RAW, but it will load only the factory calibration data.

About other i1Display PRO settings, you have to test and see which settings work better.

Enable LLH for i1PRO2 for sure. 0.5-sec pattern delay.

Do you use your PC as a player for games/movies/desktop?

Which colorspace output you have to your GPU?

Please post some more details about how you watch your content because the PC world works with RGB-Data levels and the home video world with TV Legal levels (video).

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
I was lucky enough to get access to the calman r2 beta which has the shadow detail feature. I was able to use mehanik's c65 hdr pattern to dial in HDR cinema mode properly.

I am trying to autocal HDR game mode now, but the issue is, if I access the pattern while in hdr game mode (my ps5) which is on a thumb drive, it reverts to HDR cinema, and I cant invoke hdr game from the thumb drive.

In anyone's experience, would it be safe to apply the same shadow detail values from HDR Cinema to HDR game, or would I be better off leaving them at default since I cant figure out a way to get an HDR pattern to display while in HDR game mode?
It will require to send HDR signal from HDMI input to enable HDR Game mode with CX.

HDR MP4 from USB port can work for different picture modes only.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
One other thing regarding the shadow detail feature is, it is only available on the 2020 iTPG. This is all fine and great for SDR and HDR, but for DV, I have to use the 2019 iTPG (i am on 3.10.20 firmware) so I cant use the shadow detail feature...I am also curious if the HDR shadow detail values would be safe to apply to dolby vision?

i have been speaking with papamiraculi and that is what he did, I just want to make sure its ok to do that before I do so.
iTPG version (2019/2020) is not related to Shadow Detail control.

When you connect your TV as 2020 LG, you will have the Shadow Detail control with CalMAN Beta R2.

Any 2018/2019 user also can connect his TV as 2020 LG and has that control also.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I was lucky enough to get access to the calman r2 beta which has the shadow detail feature. I was able to use mehanik's c65 hdr pattern to dial in HDR cinema mode properly.

I am trying to autocal HDR game mode now, but the issue is, if I access the pattern while in hdr game mode (my ps5) which is on a thumb drive, it reverts to HDR cinema, and I cant invoke hdr game from the thumb drive.

In anyone's experience, would it be safe to apply the same shadow detail values from HDR Cinema to HDR game, or would I be better off leaving them at default since I cant figure out a way to get an HDR pattern to display while in HDR game mode?

So you can apply the same shadow detail values that you used in HDR Cinema in HDR Game as long as when you calibrate HDR Game you set color to 50 and set the CS to Warm2 .

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
sorry, as a followup, is the 2020 DV iTPG is still broken, or is it good in the new 3.11.xx firmwares?
If you don't have that DLL then select 2019 iTPG:

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Got myself an i1 Display Plus. I have read that with OLED, positioning it about 6 inches away from the screen is better than contact because of the heat of the screen. Is this a method you would recommend? Also, do you think RAW XYZ mode would be more accurate than profiling to a 7 year old i1 Pro-2 that has been well taken care of, but has not been recalibrated by X-Rite?
Place your i1Display with a small distance just to not have mechanical contact with the panel.

6-feel away will not only measure your pattern but probably the wall behind the TV also.

Calibrate 100% White with i1PRO2 to one picture mode and 100% White with i1Dispaly PRO (with FSI EDR) to a different picture mode.

Then display a grayscale ramp and swap between these 2 picture modes.

You will see which picture mode has more neutral shades of gray/white.

If the i1PRO2 looks better, then profile the i1Display PRO.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
So, the Black Crush when using the 2020 iTPG has not been resolved yet.
Is there any way to get around it other than to use the 2019 iTPG?
As I understand the Shadow Detail compensation only works with the 2020 iTPG, which means improved shadow detail but crushed blacks.
Are there any plans to fix this bug?
Is it a problem on LG's end or can Portrait Displays do something about it?
You will need a DLL to operate as 2020 DoVi:

Shadow detail works with 2018/2019 TVs:

·
Registered
934 Posts
So you can apply the same shadow detail values that you used in HDR Cinema in HDR Game as long as when you calibrate HDR Game you set color to 50 and set the CS to Warm2 .
Crap! I left the colorspace at default in all of my picture modes before I autocal'd (which would mean medium in both game modes). I was under the assumption that the autocal corrected whatever was picked?

Sounds like I need to redo everything, picking warm2 before i autocal?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
Crap! I left the colorspace at default in all of my picture modes before I autocal'd (which would mean medium in both game modes). I was under the assumption that the autocal corrected whatever was picked?

Sounds like I need to redo everything, picking warm2 before i autocal?
Since there is no way to measure Shadow Detail in Game PM, you want to set all the user parameters the same as HDR Cinema or your equivalent SDR PM so the Shadow Detail should be the same or close enough. So that said, just recalibrate your game modes. At some point i'm sure someone will figure out how to measure Shadow Detail in Game mode so you can then you can verify.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Since there is no way to measure Shadow Detail in Game PM, you want to set all the user parameters the same as HDR Cinema or your equivalent SDR PM so the Shadow Detail should be the same or close enough. So that said, just recalibrate your game modes. At some point i'm sure someone will figure out how to measure Shadow Detail in Game mode so you can then you can verify.
I posted earlier that i found a way: 2020 LG OLED Calibration and User Settings (No price talk)

With that said, the shadow detail values were near identical (hdr cinema was 14/200 and hdr game was 14/190, but the difference was nearly imperceptable)

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
188 Posts
When using a custom meter profile for the X-rite i1 display, profiled using the Bodner Method for OLED using a pro2, do I need to set Display Type to "OLED" or do I leave it at "Raw XYZ" in the setup for the calibration workflow?

Does it make a difference if I used the 2020 iTPG for profiling but plan on using the 2019 iTPG for DV calibration or do I need to create a new profile using the 2019 iTPG?

I got good results in HDR using the 2020 iTPG for both profiling and calibration but DV looks a bit warm to me using the profile created with the 2020 iTPG but the 2019 iTPG for calibration, so I wonder.

921 - 940 of 1332 Posts