AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1281 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
My final keeper 77CX (had to swap out 2 before this one due to near-black uniformity issues) has finally reached 200 hrs, and I am getting ready to do a calibration.
I am most familiar with using HCFR, SDR & HDR patterns from avshd and masciola, and my EODIS3 (i1 Display) meter.
I plan to calibrate ISFBright, ISF Dark, and Cinema Home (for HDR) PMs.

Few questions:
1. Can i still achieve accurate SDR & HDR PM calibrations using HCFR rather than using the Calman for LG autocal?
2. Should I run one full pixel refresh (the one that runs every 2000 hrs or whatever) before starting my calibration or am I good to just jump right in?
3. What is the best starting point for PM setting adjustments to enter BEFORE I commence measuring grayscale patterns? Or do I just leave it all at defaults? I'm asking here more on the non-RGB slider settings.
4. I heard i should be setting OLED Light for getting 100 nits off of a 100 IRE pattern - is this for all PMs I want to calibrate or only the Cinema Home one for HDR?
Does anyone have any insight into this?

·
Registered
19 Posts
HI, I'm setting up a 55CX and am confused about Dolby Vision. I have seemingly switched off all Motion options yet I'm still seeing obvious Motion smoothing. I have looked at content on both Amazon Prime and Netflix. Is this a known issue with LG and Dolby Vision. Am I missing something? Thanks

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Something to add:

Ted has also suggested to target a whitepoint of 0,312 and 0,3356 for use with the i1 Pro. After creating a profile for my i1 Display, is it recommended to use this alternative white point?

D-Nice has yet another alternative, he uses a whitepoint target of x0.3095 y0.3290.

Or do I just go with the preset 0,3127 and 0,329?
When you have JETI or PhotoResearch Spectro, then use x0.309 y0.3290.

If you have i1PRO's, then use the coordinates I have posted for i1PRO's (they are Leon's coordinates; he had both JETI and i1PRO to find out)

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
HI, I'm setting up a 55CX and am confused about Dolby Vision. I have seemingly switched off all Motion options yet I'm still seeing obvious Motion smoothing. I have looked at content on both Amazon Prime and Netflix. Is this a known issue with LG and Dolby Vision. Am I missing something? Thanks
While you watch DoVi, look to the General menu if the TV, disable some AI Service picture functions.

Then you will be able to disable Motion enhancements in DoVi mode.

·
Registered
934 Posts
While you watch DoVi, look to the General menu if the TV, disable some AI Service picture functions.

Disable auto genre then you’ll be able to turn off motion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: OneLastShot

·
Registered
19 Posts

Thank you. All AI settings now switched off. The one thing I have so far noticed is that when playing Dolby Vision there appears to be motion smoothing with Real Cinema ON. It is much better when set to off. I thought Real cinema was to retain the look of "cinema". I've also had a brief look at HDR content on Amazon and it may be better with it ON though that was only a quick test.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Thank you. All AI settings now switched off. The one thing I have so far noticed is that when playing Dolby Vision there appears to be motion smoothing with Real Cinema ON. It is much better when set to off. I thought Real cinema was to retain the look of "cinema". I've also had a brief look at HDR content on Amazon and it may be better with it ON though that was only a quick test.
Since LG OLED's are using 120Hz panels, they perform 5:5 to the 24p signals with RealCinema On; for judder-free 24p playback.

But it will work if your content is 24p.

Some streaming devices require specific settings to have 24p and not 60p.

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Does anyone have any insight into this?
For SDR, if you need 100 nits @ 100% White calibration for night-view, start by performing SM WB 109% RGB balance with RGB-High aiming for 124 nits.

Keep Red and 192 and reduce the other two values.

(don't press RESET to that WB window)

Then continue with 20-Point RGB balance 0-100% from Regular TV menu (without adjusting Luminance control).

Check for gradation of some gray ramp patterns to verify that you have no issue and then move to CMS:

For HDR, perform 2-Point RGB balance by displaying the whole 21-Point HDR10 Grayscale sweep multiple times without adjusting in real-time any pattern.

Just measure the whole GS, look at the charts, and reduce RGB balance errors by using these two controls.

Then upload your calibrated Peak output value via the PQ curve tool.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
For SDR, if you need 100 nits @ 100% White calibration for night-view, start by performing SM WB 109% RGB balance with RGB-High aiming for 124 nits.

Keep Red and 192 and reduce the other two values.

(don't press RESET to that WB window)

Then continue with 20-Point RGB balance 0-100% from Regular TV menu (without adjusting Luminance control).

Check for gradation of some gray ramp patterns to verify that you have no issue and then move to CMS:

For HDR, perform 2-Point RGB balance by displaying the whole 21-Point HDR10 Grayscale sweep multiple times without adjusting in real-time any pattern.

Just measure the whole GS, look at the charts, and reduce RGB balance errors by using these two controls.

Then upload your calibrated Peak output value via the PQ curve tool.
Thanks for this, have some questions:

1. What does SM WB stand for and how should I perform it? Is it just a reading with 109% IRE pattern and aim for 124 nits?

2. What do you mean "keep Red and 192"?

3. For the HDR portion using grayscale sweep - are you saying to use the sweep pattern to calibrate by eye without using actual measurements from HCFR?

4. How do I "upload my calibrated Peak output value via the PQ curve tool"? What is this PQ curve tool? I was hoping to just use HCFR.

Also, should I be performing a full pixel refresh before starting the calibration?

·
Registered
188 Posts
When you have JETI or PhotoResearch Spectro, then use x0.309 y0.3290.

If you have i1PRO's, then use the coordinates I have posted for i1PRO's (they are Leon's coordinates; he had both JETI and i1PRO to find out)
Hi Ted, I'm a I Pro 3 User. Have you got coordinates for this too?
Or shoulkd i take from the i Pro 1 /2? And which are they?
I heard the I Pro 3 is built a liitle bit different.
Today I've testetd the coordinates: 0,312 and 0,3356 . They look similar to the stock values from the tv. i will test them a few days. But I've got the feeling there could be a liitle more red in sunny pictures.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi,
Just for starters, I’ve managed to successfully calibrate using Calman Home for LG.
I use the 48” for solely PC gaming and currently have an older AMD GPU so when I play at 120hz I’m limited to YCbCr 4:2:0.
My problem is that YCbCr 4:2:0 pixel format looks very dark in comparison to 60hz with RGB Limited and a black test pattern was showing heavy black clipping.
Is this something I’m stuck with? Or is it the case that when using 4:2:0 I’d have to have a different calibration?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts

To the best of my knowledge the i1 Pro3 is not significantly different to the i1 Pro2. It certainly isn't magically a 5nm spectro! It's whether or not it's a hi-res spectro that is what matters.

I see the situation split into 3 groups of people who would be using 3 different Alternative White points (if the goal is to combat metamerism on OLEDs and get a perceptual match to D65 on a plasma before someone clever jumps on me for that comment)
1. Those with a hi-res (5nm or narrower) professional very expensive spectro and can create a profile their colorimeter using it
2. Those with a lower-res (10nm) spectro such as the i1Pro2/3 and can create a profile their colorimeter using it
3. Those with no spectro.

Everyone should easily know which group they fall in so which AWP to use (but it's clear there are tons of people in (group 3) using (AWP 1) by mistake) but if you have forgotten, please see >this post< for more, it was literally only the other day in this thread and it would be wrong to repeat it all over again. HTH :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
The majority of people here in this thread are using 3D LUTs for calibration, and those can't be shared for various reasons. Try rtings.com and cnet.com. Both sites publish settings when they test a set. BTW, using someone else's calibrated settings does not mean your display is then calibrated. The accuracy of those settings depends on the state of the display they are tested and developed on, and yours could be different enough to actually make it worse, not better.
i know it differs from display to display. i just want a rough draft.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ok, I've tried Autocal with mixed results, so I'm thinking about taking first steps into doing a manual calibration.
The idea is to try a 2-Point WB calibration in the SM first, and then see where I go from there.
Can I do that with Calman Home for LG and the iTPG of the LG CX? Can a full manual calibration (if I ever get there) be done with this setup?

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Thanks for this, have some questions:

1. What does SM WB stand for and how should I perform it? Is it just a reading with 109% IRE pattern and aim for 124 nits?

2. What do you mean "keep Red and 192"?

3. For the HDR portion using grayscale sweep - are you saying to use the sweep pattern to calibrate by eye without using actual measurements from HCFR?

4. How do I "upload my calibrated Peak output value via the PQ curve tool"? What is this PQ curve tool? I was hoping to just use HCFR.

Also, should I be performing a full pixel refresh before starting the calibration?
1+2) SM WB = Service Menu White Balance.

It has 2-Point controls there, RGB-LOW and RGB-High.

RGB High @ 192.192.192 provides the maximum panel dynamic range.

For keeping it at maximum, keep Red @ 192 and reduce only the other two color channels to reduce RGB balance errors.

3) Calibrate with a meter, but not say to one specific pattern....open OSD menu....and perform real-time RGB adjustments.

Measure the whole Grayscale, display a black patch for the panel to cool down, open the OSD menu, ...look at the software RGB balance charts, and adjust all controls at once with the values you believe that they will reduce RGB balance errors.

Then close the OSD menu and re-measure using a grayscale sweep.

4) LG OLED 2019/2020 PQ Curve Upload Free Template for DeviceControl Interface

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Today I've testetd the coordinates: 0,312 and 0,3356 . They look similar to the stock values from the tv. i will test them a few days. But I've got the feeling there could be a liitle more red in sunny pictures.
No difference between i1PRO2/3 when you are using the when you re measuring displays/projectors.

X-Rite has improved the Inter-Instrument Agreement of i1PRO3s spectrophotometers; about how accurately two devices of the same make and model can repeat a color measurement.

See below the i1 spectrophotometers specification comparison table regarding the differences which affect calibration measurements on display/projectors:

·
Registered
9,575 Posts
Hi,
Just for starters, I’ve managed to successfully calibrate using Calman Home for LG.
I use the 48” for solely PC gaming and currently have an older AMD GPU so when I play at 120hz I’m limited to YCbCr 4:2:0.
My problem is that YCbCr 4:2:0 pixel format looks very dark in comparison to 60hz with RGB Limited and a black test pattern was showing heavy black clipping.
Is this something I’m stuck with? Or is it the case that when using 4:2:0 I’d have to have a different calibration?
Thanks in advance.
Do you have a problem with near black before calibration?

Are you talking about SDR signaling?

961 - 980 of 1281 Posts