AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 1682 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Quick question. I'm having my CX calibrated by ChadB saturday, and just wondering if PC mode can be calibrated. I got my PS5 and the recommendation was to put it in PC mode but notice it locks out a lot of options when I toggle it, so I just wanted to see if anyone had any insight about that or if there's any issues calibrating in PC mode

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
My calibrated CX when playing DoVi sometimes visibly and suddenly dims the whole picture for a few seconds and then returns brighter just as fast.

Is this because the TPC setting is on in the SM or something else?
Anyone experience this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I'm planning to do a ground up calibration now that Calman r2 is out and that I got my new i1Display Pro Plus. To do so I guess I have to reset my CX to factory settings.
Just to be sure because I always have doubts concerning gamma: for HDR and DV, should I use ST 2084 HDR like the soft is suggesting me to or should I go with power gamma 2.4 since I'm in a dark room?

Also, is there a way to reset Calman Home to default settings? I probably touched things I'm not supposed to, especially the DeltaE Formula and Cube DeltaE Formula, I'm not sure what those should be set at anymore.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,325 Posts
What’s the recommended gamma setting for SDR? I’m seeing some sources say 2.2 and others say 1886.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi !
I have jut got the new LG 65BX, before reading all 59 pages is there a summary of the best settings for Netflix and gaming?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You might want to try the owner's thread in the OLED Technologies area, Rtings.com, or CNET.com. This area is really aimed at people who would prefer to do their own calibrations, and many are using 3D LUTs, which are not possible to share.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Does anyone have a link to D-Nice's calibration settings for the LG CX. I can't seem to find them.

I think this is the latest (only?) one.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Any idea why DV on dark scenes sometimes just drops the brightness visibly and then raises once a little more light is introduced to the scene?
Is it that ASBL setting in the SM being on?

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Apparently that's normal for their betas, John. The regular LG factory distributed firmware is still much lower in version number.
I think the 03.31.xx is the next major firmware release after the 03.21.xx coming soon. This may be a good sign that 03.21.xx is done.

Reactions: macmane

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi All, Having read all 1170 posts in this thread, and all the posts in the users thread I have a couple of questions on Calibration that hopefully can be easily answered by you knowledgeable folk! I appreciate that as things evolve, some of the information I have taken in may be outdated.

I have a 77CX and a i1Display Pro Plus (new). I am looking to calibrate the display myself using Calman Home LG. I will probably start off with Autocal to 'dip my toe'.

Questions:

1. Should I be using Raw xyz for the meter? I have seen other dll's being used/transplanted from an SDK, but I think this may have been superseded since and is no longer required on the latest version of software? I will use the meter 'as-is' from the box and have no means of profiling it.

2. There was a recommendation to NOT reset DDC and upload the Calman 1D Lut. If I have no intention of using the service menu to adjust white balance, should I just follow the Calman instructions 'as-is' and reset and upload the 1d Lut as part of the workflow or is there actual benefit in not doing so - if so, is it just a case of skipping that step?

3. There was a time that when doing Autocal it was advised to use the LG 2019 setting (I think possibly just for HDR/DV) as using the 2020 selection had issues - I think this is resolved in the latest release of software, and I should use the 2020 setting?

I would welcome any other tips, or specific deviations or extra steps that should be taken from the instructions given on the portrait site here: Calman Home for LG Walkthrough (portrait.com).

If I can avoid going in the service menu at this stage, I would like to, until I have a few calibrations under my belt!

Thanks, and be gentle :)

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
1. For now, use Raw XYZ with CalMAN. The other EDR (not .dll) you referenced is not part of any XRite factory SDK and has to be obtained by other means. You should concentrate on the basics first until you can get more or less repeatable results using Raw XYZ, IMHO. Then you can worry about changing EDRs, Alternate White Points, etc. Those are more advanced topics for when you're comfy with the process.

2. I don't own an OLED but may someday and have read enough here to agree with those who recommend skipping the DDC reset and 1D LUT. It's a problematic complication and source of frustration you don't need right now. Let the 3D LUT handle the grayscale and CMS. I believe autocal should be avoided for HDR and DV as well, but others here might feel differently.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm trying to calibrate my LG CX through Calman Autocal. I can't get it to work! When connecting to the source I am able to enter my TV's ip and pin. But nothing happens. I do not get a pattern on my TV screen. What should I do?

1161 - 1180 of 1682 Posts