1261 - 1268 of 1268 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey guys, new here and this is my case:

1. I bought an LG CX48 for video editing / color grading
  2. I don't have any experience with monitor calibration
  3. I looked around and there's no professional calibrator in my area
  4. I can rent an i1 Display Pro. I already ordered the service remote to turn off the auto dimming stuff.
In other words:
  1. Where do I start? Is there a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this?
  2. Judging from what I've read, I will choose colourspace over Calman for accuracy. But which version, and how much will it cost me?
I'm also willing to pay for some consulting, but any help is more than welcome!
Hi, welcome to AVS forum. There is a ColourSpace thread in this forum, and you can post your questions over there related to CS. There are many helpful guys here in AVS that will help you with your questions, although you can also do a search of some of the keywords and have a look first.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
In other words:
  1. Where do I start? Is there a step-by-step tutorial on how to do this?
  2. Judging from what I've read, I will choose colourspace over Calman for accuracy. But which version, and how much will it cost me?
I'm also willing to pay for some consulting, but any help is more than welcome!
First, take a look at the ColourSpace main thread. A good place to start would be from THIS POST HERE and the subsequent following posts. It will give you an idea of what should be done prior to calibration.

Then, if you decide to go down that route, you should contact Ted Aspiotis (@ConnecTEDDD) directly where he can further advise you. The best place to do that would be through his contact form on his website.

Ted will provide you with detailed step-by-step instructions and offers full (and unrivalled) support for ColourSpace users.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's supposed to be a way of finding the best OLED LIGHT setting for the target luminance, but it is only active while in the white balance service menu. The white balance service menu only gives 2 measurement options. 80IRE and 100IRE full field patterns. This is not what you should be measuring when calibrating white balance. You should be using 10% windows and measuring 100%/109% White. Every time you make an adjustment you should exit the service menu and verify the results. Repeat until you find a repeatable balance.

Only worry about these settings in the service menu when adjusting white balance.
Color Temp: Warm
Red Gain: 192
Green Gain: *
Blue Gain: *
*Matches the red target color temperature measurement.

Ignore all other settings in this menu.
Thanks for the clarification.

Should I only focus on getting delta DEITP as low as possible on the Greyscale multipoint screen? Or should I look att other measurements also?

Should I choose any other option than to measure "white only"? Do I need to do different measurements for 100/109%?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

Should I only focus on getting delta DEITP as low as possible on the Greyscale multipoint screen? Or should I look att other measurements also?

Should I choose any other option than to measure "white only"? Do I need to do different measurements for 100/109%?
If you are planning on skipping the 1D LUT, then there is no reason to make any adjustments to grayscale. The 3D LUT will do all the corrections for CMS and Grayscale.

You should be measuring peak white(109%) when doing the service menu white balance. 109% is also what you should be measuring for the target max luminance you are calibrating for. In a dark room I recommend 124nits. In a bright room whatever you want. I have already explained this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are planning on skipping the 1D LUT, then there is no reason to make any adjustments to grayscale. The 3D LUT will do all the adjustments for CMS and Grayscale.
Is there a other screen in Calman than Greyscale multipoint (clicking the numbers instead of autocal) that I should use while doing the WB adjustments in SM? It's the screen that's used in the video from Ninjician I referred to before and you confirmed is the correct method.

If I understand your earlier post correctly I should measure peak brightness (109%) instead of only white (100%) while doing the SM adjustments?

·
Registered
7,121 Posts
Is there a other screen in Calman than Greyscale multipoint (clicking the numbers instead of autocal) that I should use while doing the WB adjustments in SM? It's the screen that's used in the video from Ninjician I referred to before and you confirmed is the correct method.

If I understand your earlier post correctly I should measure peak brightness (109%) instead of only white (100%) while doing the SM adjustments?
You should really take this discussion over to the Calman Home for LG forum since you are using CM and there you will find lots of users who can help you with these software specific details.
(13) CalMAN Home for LG | AVS Forum

Reactions: nordor

·
Registered
4,236 Posts

In the workflow there should be a Dynamic Range tab where you will do the OLED Light adjustment to target 100% White or Peak White(109%) to whatever your target luminance is.

The autocal workflow does not include a White Balance tab, so you will need to open the manual calibration workflow to find that. Then go back to autocal when you perform a 3D LUT.

1261 - 1268 of 1268 Posts