AVS Forum banner

1561 - 1580 of 1665 Posts

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
The set is not calibrated to D65 at the factory. It is calibrated to fall within LG's specs which are more weighted to blue due to the bluish cast of the white pixels. IIRC, I've seen 7000K to 7500K mentioned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI. Sorry if these issues have been gone over already but i REALLY need som help.

Recently i got all the calibration hardware and software. X rite i1Display Pro Plus and Calman Home For LG. I decided to do manual and autocal for SDR and it has gone smoothly on that front. However i have had massive issues with HDR. When performing Autocal on HDR. The test pattern images are washed out and the screen can not produce blacks through the pattern generator. The DE ERRORS are off the charts and the display only meassured peak 400nits. Am i doing something wrong here? I followed the tutorials step by step and SDR modes worked fine. Greatly appreciated if someone can help out with HDR.

·
Registered
19 Posts
HI. Sorry if these issues have been gone over already but i REALLY need som help.

Recently i got all the calibration hardware and software. X rite i1Display Pro Plus and Calman Home For LG. I decided to do manual and autocal for SDR and it has gone smoothly on that front. However i have had massive issues with HDR. When performing Autocal on HDR. The test pattern images are washed out and the screen can not produce blacks through the pattern generator. The DE ERRORS are off the charts and the display only meassured peak 400nits. Am i doing something wrong here? I followed the tutorials step by step and SDR modes worked fine. Greatly appreciated if someone can help out with HDR.
Are you using the internal test pattern generator?
Screenshots?
Settings used?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 12 Yr old son spotted something I hadn't noticed before and now, of course, it's all I can see. In black areas of the screen we see lighter blotches appear and go with no obvious pattern. These are more noticeable when watching 2.39:1 content in the black bars. A bar can briefly appear lighter and then go back to full black with moving blotches of lighter areas. Is this part of the raised blacks issue or is it something else? My son noticed it when watching a lower quality file so I just assumed it was due to compression but I can now see it in all forms of content. SDR, Hdr10 and DV. Streaming or from disc. This was only noticed once upgrading to the latest firmware so not sure if that's to blame. It was spotted before and now after calibration.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
My 12 Yr old son spotted something I hadn't noticed before and now, of course, it's all I can see. In black areas of the screen we see lighter blotches appear and go with no obvious pattern. These are more noticeable when watching 2.39:1 content in the black bars. A bar can briefly appear lighter and then go back to full black with moving blotches of lighter areas. Is this part of the raised blacks issue or is it something else? My son noticed it when watching a lower quality file so I just assumed it was due to compression but I can now see it in all forms of content. SDR, Hdr10 and DV. Streaming or from disc. This was only noticed once upgrading to the latest firmware so not sure if that's to blame. It was spotted before and now after calibration.
Is this what you are seeing?

I'm still waiting for the LG service to call me for an appointment.

·
Registered
LG OLED55CXPTA. i1 Display Pro Plus. CalMan Home for LG.
149 Posts
I thought I was picking up on something like this initially, in the bottom letterbox bar. Eventually I realised it's probably a very slight reflection from the TV stand back on to the bottom of the screen. Barely perceptible though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you using the internal test pattern generator?
Screenshots?
Settings used?

So I measured everything with the default and used the internal pattern generator with the HDRvideo from Portrait playing off of the USB. When the autocal greyscale was happening it immediately elevated the black level making the entire picture seem washed out during the rest of the process. HDR produces blacks normally on regular content but trying to do Autocal messed it up and I had to reset the picture mode.

Worse even happened when trying to calibrate Game Mode HDR. For whatever reason, the TV does not allow me to use the game mode preset through the TV media player, so I booted up a HDR PS4 game and the same thing happened with autocal. Washed out everything and that's not all, midway through the process the entire calibration turned magenta coloured and bugged out. The HDR game mode looked horrible across the board and I had to reset it to fix it. It was a mess. Not sure if those random Magenta flashes that randomly happen during autocal had anything to do with it?

Still calibrating SDR and even Dolby Vision was a piece of cake and produced great results but HDR has given me nothing but headaches. I would retry it later today and take pics but now I am uneasy about connecting the TV to the internet in fear of the new firmware update being forced down my throat by LG, It apparently makes the Game HDR mode dimmer by about a 100nits.

Edit: Apparently I have a second account and I didn't even realize it. I must have created this one a long time ago and forgot. Logged into this one by accident. Not sure if this is against the rules but it isn't my intention to break any. So if someone could close this one that would be great.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the reply. So will leaving it on cause problem while calibrating in SDR? If not then for what specific reason do we leave it off? Also do you leave it at low mid or high for HDR and DV?
A couple posts back...

That should always be set to the default of High for HDR and DV and Off for SDR. If you calibrate with it set one way then change it after calibration, yes you mess up the calibration.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. Great, okay I got the point regarding the 3DLUT. But for me its still a bit unclear why HDR and DV gets not crushed if I adjust the whitebalance with a target of 250nits. As whitebalance changes in the service menu will affect HDR and DV picture mode, the picture should look different with these modes when I calibrate it for either 123nits oder 250nits SDR, aren't they? Probably, I am missing something. :unsure:
1. I'm not sure what you are getting at here. SDR/HDR/DV calibrations are not the same. The service menu white balance adjustment does not negatively effect HDR/DV. Also 1DLUT completely bypasses service menu white balance controls.
Sorry if this is beating a dead horse (since I assume it probably is), but I'd like to come back to this response / question regarding SM WB calibration.

Don't know what you ended up doing @alex21312, but I had the exact questions like you when doing my SM WB adjustments and then a 3D LUT calibration yesterday. Since the luminance (OLED light in settings or backlight in SM) affects the RGB balance, what is the proper Backlight / OLED Light value to aim for? Some people recommend just doing one SM WB for one color and be done with it. Others recommend doing two separate WB adjustments—one for SDR and one for HDR. Ted has also written about this: LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread. He specifically recommends doing two modes here:

SM Cool for pre-calibrating the 109% White for SDR (with SDR pattern) and select Cool in the regular TV menu.

SM Warm for pre-calibrating for 100% White (with HDR pattern) and select Warm 2 on the regular TV menu.
If I read that correctly, since HDR/DV is always at OLED light 100 and contrast 100, a separate adjustment to one mode (e.g. warm) should be made with backlight 100 displaying a 100% white patch (Ted explains why this is here: LG OLED's 3D LUT Profiling using LightSpace Thread) and another one (e.g. cool) should be balanced with 109% peak white and a lower backlight (for example one that targets 100 nits at 100%).

On a different note: I did a few 3D LUT calibrations for SDR after adjusting the SM WB yesterday and the only mode that does not introduce banding for me is the Lightning LUT. The Fixed Grid methods introduce banding (visible in e.g. Ted's color ramps pattern Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk - Patterns Overview). Generally I'm happy with the outcome of skipping the 1D LUT. I will probably just use this method for ISF Bright + Dark and Calibrate the Cinema Mode with Autocal (1D + 3D LUT) just for comparison. I just want to make sure I get the SM WB adjustment for Warm right, since the HDR/DV Cinema Home modes use Warm2 and cannot be calibrated without losing the PQ Offset.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am trying to manually calibrate HDR 22 points using calman ans xrite i1display pro. Q: what values to enter in the level editor? in order to create a 22 point code value (starts with 157 up to 1023)? It is different than SDR and DV (2.5 5 7.5 ...... 100)

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Short answer: Don’t bother, you’re wasting your time.

Slightly longer answer: Figure out how to convert 10 Bit Full Range Code Values into percentages to see that the adjustment points are so tightly packed close together that due to the inherent instability of WOLED in HDR mode, any attempt to adjust them accurately is near impossible and will most definitely do more harm than good.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is this what you are seeing?

I'm still waiting for the LG service to call me for an appointment.
I have found what may be the same issue while playing Vertigo on a 4k UHD disc. The final scene is very dark and I'm finding these lighter blocks dancing around the blacks. This is HDR10.
I'm hoping you can see it in the image below from the video I have captured as the still's compression doesn't make it look as noticeable as it is. I'm also seeing this in dark bands across the whole image which unfortunately I haven't been able to capture.

I'm wondering if this specific issue may have something to do with my recent calibration where I used Calman's Shadow Detail control. I wonder if I have pushed it too far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have found what may be the same issue while playing Vertigo on a 4k UHD disc. The final scene is very dark and I'm finding these lighter blocks dancing around the blacks. This is HDR10.
I'm hoping you can see it in the image below from the video I have captured as the still's compression doesn't make it look as noticeable as it is. I'm also seeing this in dark bands across the whole image which unfortunately I haven't been able to capture.

I'm wondering if this specific issue may have something to do with my recent calibration where I used Calman's Shadow Detail control. I wonder if I have pushed it too far.

View attachment 3075528
You're not talking about that red dot right?

1561 - 1580 of 1665 Posts