AVS Forum banner

1581 - 1600 of 1665 Posts

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I have found what may be the same issue while playing Vertigo on a 4k UHD disc. The final scene is very dark and I'm finding these lighter blocks dancing around the blacks. This is HDR10.
I'm hoping you can see it in the image below from the video I have captured as the still's compression doesn't make it look as noticeable as it is. I'm also seeing this in dark bands across the whole image which unfortunately I haven't been able to capture.

I'm wondering if this specific issue may have something to do with my recent calibration where I used Calman's Shadow Detail control. I wonder if I have pushed it too far.

View attachment 3075528
Since LG has changed black behavior in the firmware, I would maybe revisit the shadow detail adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Short answer: Don’t bother, you’re wasting your time.

Slightly longer answer: Figure out how to convert 10 Bit Full Range Code Values into percentages to see that the adjustment points are so tightly packed close together that due to the inherent instability of WOLED in HDR mode, any attempt to adjust them accurately is near impossible and will most definitely do more harm than good.
To add to this, here's a visual representation of how insanely packed the points are, using the 2018 model's values but it's just as bad for 2019 and 2020. As @liberator72 says, do not even bother.

(full range codes have been converted to limited range, because HDR is delivered in 64-940).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Since LG has changed black behavior in the firmware, I would maybe revisit the shadow detail adjustment.

The calibration was done after I installed the new firmware. I did use a pattern to judge the shadow detail but I wasn't sure how far to go with it. Should we see a gradual increase in visibility from 65 up? I have it so that block 65 is quite visible but no sign on 64.

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Should we see a gradual increase in visibility from 65 up? I have it so that block 65 is quite visible but no sign on 64.
65 should be the absolutely darkest grey, almost impossible to see, unless you're in a pitch black room and your eyes are adjusted to the dark after the full 10 minutes, and even then, you should barely be able to see it and you should be doubting whether it's black or not.

If you're not doubting, and you've set it so that it's "quite visible", then it's way too bright.

·
Registered
59 Posts
65 should be the absolutely darkest grey, almost impossible to see, unless you're in a pitch black room and your eyes are adjusted to the dark after the full 10 minutes, and even then, you should barely be able to see it and you should be doubting whether it's black or not.

If you're not doubting, and you've set it so that it's "quite visible", then it's way too bright.
Thank you. I am viewing in a blacked out room but it does seem as if I have set it too bright.

·
Registered
10 Posts
To add to this, here's a visual representation of how insanely packed the points are, using the 2018 model's values but it's just as bad for 2019 and 2020. As @liberator72 says, do not even bother.

View attachment 3075596
(full range codes have been converted to limited range, because HDR is delivered in 64-940).
Thanks both for your insights. I have no intention to autocal HDR. Should I stick to 2 points and call it a day? I already calibrated the white point through SM. Another Q: I manually calibrated the 22 points in DV, and the results are satisfactory. Did I also stumble upon (no no scenario) also? I am way out of my league here, just an amateur calibrator.

TV: lg cx
Xrite i1display pro
Calman home for LG r2

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Thanks both for your insights. I have no intention to autocal HDR. Should I stick to 2 points and call it a day? I already calibrated the white point through SM. Another Q: I manually calibrated the 22 points in DV, and the results are satisfactory. Did I also stumble upon (no no scenario) also? I am way out of my league here, just an amateur calibrator.

TV: lg cx
Xrite i1display pro
Calman home for LG r2
For HDR manual calibration, 2-Point is the best you can do. Dolby Vision uses different processing and different adjustment points. You can manually adjust full multi-point controls in Dolby Vision when in "Relative Mode".

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I give up trying to calibrate HDR. What a frustrating waste of time. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Calman but i can not get it to display without elavating the blacks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Again thanks for the all the great info in this thread. I did have one question - what's the purpose of using a 109% patch for SM white balance as has been suggested? Just asking, because I've been using HCFR exclusively, and it only can generate 100% patches. I'm guessing it won't be a big difference if I calibrate SM to the 100% patch, followed by 20 point greyscale. Cheers!

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
I give up trying to calibrate HDR. What a frustrating waste of time. I even uninstalled and reinstalled Calman but i can not get it to display without elavating the blacks.
It sounds like a levels miss match issue. Are you changing the internal pattern generator setting to “2020 HDR”, that is the most common mistake.

I just finished recording the 2020 LG calibration tutorial videos yesterday. They should hit our YouTube page next week.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Again thanks for the all the great info in this thread. I did have one question - what's the purpose of using a 109% patch for SM white balance as has been suggested? Just asking, because I've been using HCFR exclusively, and it only can generate 100% patches. I'm guessing it won't be a big difference if I calibrate SM to the 100% patch, followed by 20 point greyscale. Cheers!
As has been said before, HCFR only has the option to select 0-255 or 16-235. But it doesn't matter, because manual calibration is completely different to LUT based calibration.

With the LG OLEDs having the capability to upload LUTs internally to the TV, most of the discussion and tips in these threads are naturally focused around how to get the best results there. But when calibrating manually, you will see little to no benefit in following those suggestions exactly because when using the internal controls within the User Menu you can only adjust 0-100% anyway!

So if you want to Pre-Calibrate white from the Service Menu using HCFR and performing manual based calibration only, then using a 100% patch is perfectly fine.

Reactions: jrref and svenz

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like a levels miss match issue. Are you changing the internal pattern generator setting to “2020 HDR”, that is the most common mistake.

I just finished recording the 2020 LG calibration tutorial videos yesterday. They should hit our YouTube page next week.

I think I did? Not entirely sure, because I did attempt this calibration now multiple times.

Good to know about the videos though. I will just wait for them to drop and follow them step by step to avoid any further problems with HDR. Thanks for the response Tyler.

One question about SDR Calibration: Is it generally safe to raise the brightness level after doing the point-based color gamut calibration? I noticed that Game mode in SDR was crushing some blacks after 3500 points cal was complete and it was visible in test patterns. Before Calibration, the correct brightness setting for my TV was 51 but after calibration, it seems like I have to raise it to 54 in order to restore detail. However, I am not sure if raising the brightness like this invalidates the calibration or is it safe to do so, without having to do the whole thing over again?

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Who has the best settings here? I will be using it for the ZX, 88 Inch.
You can try www.rtings.com or www.cnet.com as both sites publish settings for the displays they test. The vast majority of the people participating in this thread are calibrating their TVs via 3D LUTs, which AFAIK are impossible to share, as opposed to the user settings of the review sites I mentioned.

·
Registered
228 Posts

Tyler, Any reason not use the previous procedure for SDR?

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I would love to Calibrate but it is SO much work.
That is up to you, but copying someone else's posted settings does not guarantee improvement. There is variance between every panel. Don't fall into the placebo effect trap of convincing yourself it is improved without testing it properly using accurate equipment.
Your best bet is to follow @WiFi-Spy advice if you do not calibrate.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Would anyone have a spreadsheet of recommended settings (excluding CMS & White Balance) for a “65 CX (I have reviewed several of the CX Calibration settings on YouTube)? I’m interested in setting up these Picture Modes: Filmmaker, ISF Bright Room, HDR10, Dolby Vision HDR & Game. After the OLED panel is broken-in, I am planning to have my new 65” CX professionally calibrated Thx!

1581 - 1600 of 1665 Posts