AVS Forum banner

1601 - 1620 of 1665 Posts

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Would anyone have a spreadsheet of recommended settings (excluding CMS & White Balance) for a “65 CX (I have reviewed several of the CX Calibration settings on YouTube)? I’m interested in setting up these Picture Modes: Filmmaker, ISF Bright Room, HDR10, Dolby Vision HDR & Game. After the OLED panel is broken-in, I am planning to have my new 65” CX professionally calibrated Thx!
Try www.rtings.com or www.cnet.com. They post settings for displays they review. Most people in this thread are using 3D LUTs for calibration, which can't really be shared.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Try www.rtings.com or www.cnet.com. They post settings for displays they review. Most people in this thread are using 3D LUTs for calibration, which can't really be shared.
Thank you. I wanted to take a few shortcuts and will check those sites out as well --- Dave

Reactions: Rolls-Royce

·
Registered
12 Posts
I finished doing a manual calibration on HDR on the service menu WB. It looks really good now! It fixed a green tint my 48CX had out of the box (I'm not sure if anyone else has seen this before - seems uncommon - but pretty noticeable compared to my other displays/uncalibrated modes). Only thing is, the peak luminance dropped quite a bit, as a result of lowering the green channel I think. I guess this is unavoidable though? I'm just at 600 peak nits now, I think I had around 650 prior.

Another question I had was on manual 20 point calibration for SDR. As a general guideline, do you want to try and keep the adjustments "smooth" from one point to the next? I'm guessing if the values are too large it can cause some issues (but I'm not sure what "large" is). Also - as I can't select 2.5% / 7.5% IRE in HCFR, and I'm not sure it would even be that accurate with an i1d3, I should just leave those at 0, right?

·
Registered
12 Posts
One more strange thing I observe when displaying 100% white patterns in HDR Game Mode. The luminance keeps going UP the longer I have the pattern up! I found an older thread on here where someone observed the same thing, but there was no conclusion. Any idea what would cause that? Is it some sort of voltage compensation?

For SDR 100% patch, I see a similar thing but it is much slower (goes from about 100 nits to 102 nits over a couple minutes). I don't think it's the sensor, since when I measure on an LCD my luminance remains about the same.

It's probably not a huge deal though since it will be unlikely to have a max nit white patch on the screen in HDR for a while, but still seems pretty weird to me.

·
Registered
7,361 Posts
One more strange thing I observe when displaying 100% white patterns in HDR Game Mode. The luminance keeps going UP the longer I have the pattern up! I found an older thread on here where someone observed the same thing, but there was no conclusion. Any idea what would cause that? Is it some sort of voltage compensation?

For SDR 100% patch, I see a similar thing but it is much slower (goes from about 100 nits to 102 nits over a couple minutes). I don't think it's the sensor, since when I measure on an LCD my luminance remains about the same.

It's probably not a huge deal though since it will be unlikely to have a max nit white patch on the screen in HDR for a while, but still seems pretty weird to me.
Normal because as the panel heats up when you leave the patch up, the luminance will increase and eventually level out. Normal and will happen in every picture mode.

Reactions: svenz

·
Registered
9,846 Posts
Normal because as the panel heats up when you leave the patch up, the luminance will increase and eventually level out.
Increase, level out, and rapidly cause severe image retention and should be avoided at all costs. There are very stern warnings in the calman HDR toolkit workflow, warning users never to leave HDR patterns up.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
For EDR correction on i1d3, I see people recommending the 2019 FSI EDR here in Lightspace. However, this is a rec.709 correction which will be emulated on the LG. Isn't the 6-series spectral correction (via displaycal) still better to use, as it's in native gamut? This seems to be what Florian of displaycal suggests, at least: Official WRGB OLED correction file for the i1Display Pro | DisplayCAL.
Search these forums, or the Light Illusion forums to find out why that information is incorrect. It has been confirmed and re-confirmed many times already what was done to create the WRGB OLED EDR.

In addition to that, several people (including myself) have compared using an i1d3 with no correction, and an i1d3 with the FSI WRGB OLED EDR against what are considered high end Spectros (e.g. 5nm Jeti's) and found the EDR to produce substantially better results. Of course, it is never going to be as good as creating your own meter correction with your own meter on your own display with a Spectro (no EDR ever can be), but it has been the best available free option.

However, LightSpace ZRO is no longer available so you cannot obtain it in the same way others have in the past. ColourSpace ZRO has been released which also has the EDR in software, but free licenses are currently limited and only granted on a case by case basis.

And just an FYI, the 6 Series LG OLEDs have a completely different panel, with the Spectral response being different to later model years, so a Spectral correction for a 6 series would not be a better option on a 2018/19/20 panel which all have a very similar spectral response.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Search these forums, or the Light Illusion forums to find out why that information is incorrect. It has been confirmed and re-confirmed many times already what was done to create the WRGB OLED EDR.

In addition to that, several people (including myself) have compared using an i1d3 with no correction, and an i1d3 with the FSI WRGB OLED EDR against what are considered high end Spectros (e.g. 5nm Jeti's) and found the EDR to produce substantially better results. Of course, it is never going to be as good as creating your own meter correction with your own meter on your own display with a Spectro (no EDR ever can be), but it has been the best available free option.

However, LightSpace ZRO is no longer available so you cannot obtain it in the same way others have in the past. ColourSpace ZRO has been released which also has the EDR in software, but free licenses are currently limited and only granted on a case by case basis.

And just an FYI, the 6 Series LG OLEDs have a completely different panel, with the Spectral response being different to later model years, so a Spectral correction for a 6 series would not be a better option on a 2018/19/20 panel which all have a very similar spectral response.
Thanks for the useful info. I missed the relevant info in the 2019 calibration thread. It seems like the FSI EDR is no longer widely available though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the useful info. I missed the relevant info in the 2019 calibration thread. It seems like the FSI EDR is no longer widely available though, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Actually, it is.

Previously you needed to download a version of LightSpace (ZRO was enough) and you could extract it from the installation there and apply it other software by renaming the file.

But LightSpace ZRO had been discontinued and replaced with ColourSpace ZRO. And it seems that because the ColourSpace ZRO licenses are currently restricted as to how many will be granted them, Light Illusion are allowing users to download The EDR independently from the software.

Forums

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is it common for Dolby Vision (Cinema PM) to have crushed blacks out of the box? I am playing the black clipping test patterns from the Diversified Video Solutions test patterns on the internal media player on my new 77CX, and in a pitch black room stimulus levels 1.2% and below are indistinguishable from the 0-level background.

The 1.6% level bar is visible and distinguishable, but just barely and only if I put my face very close to the screen after my eyes have adjusted to the darkness.

Is this expected? I am on firmware 03.21.09.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hallo guys! I'm reading here since days and be happy about all of this knowledge here. Let me introduce myself: I'm a brand new LG OLED 65BX owner from Germany. And I also have the Spectral i1 Display Pro and CalMAN Home for LG 2020 aswell. My SDR calibration is on point but I'm struggling a bit with HDR and DV for most. This is my DV greypoint calibration, I think it's pretty solid:

Here is my DV configuration file:

Code:
# Dolby Vision User Display Configuration File
# Generated by 5.11.1.107 on 13.01.2021
# Display: Unspecified
# DM Version:
PictureMode = 2
Tmax = 303.122906551473
Tmin = 0.0001
Tgamma = 2.2
ColorPrimaries = 0.6705 0.3295 0.2653 0.6700 0.1429 0.0518 0.3127 0.3290
TLMS2RGBmat = 4.27693763128907 -3.40928764035811 0.132350009069045 -0.991340408697908 2.14040050386497 -0.149060095167062 0.0646800759857197 -0.139650584214535 1.07497050822882
Any issues here? Max brightness was measured at 560 nits so I entered this instead of 700. Unfortunately sometimes all Dolby Vision content on Netflix is way too dark and washed out. Also changing the picture mode doesn't help. I have to restart the TV and with a bit of luck after that Netflix DV content is bright and colorful as wanted. I don't know if this is a bug from Netflix App, the DV or something happened with calibration (I only calibrated the Cinema User picture mode).

If you need any more information please let me know.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
Hallo guys! I'm reading here since days and be happy about all of this knowledge here. Let me introduce myself: I'm a brand new LG OLED 65BX owner from Germany. And I also have the Spectral i1 Display Pro and CalMAN Home for LG 2020 aswell. My SDR calibration is on point but I'm struggling a bit with HDR and DV for most. This is my DV greypoint calibration, I think it's pretty solid: View attachment 3078048

Here is my DV configuration file:

Code:
# Dolby Vision User Display Configuration File
# Generated by 5.11.1.107 on 13.01.2021
# Display: Unspecified
# DM Version:
PictureMode = 2
Tmax = 303.122906551473
Tmin = 0.0001
Tgamma = 2.2
ColorPrimaries = 0.6705 0.3295 0.2653 0.6700 0.1429 0.0518 0.3127 0.3290
TLMS2RGBmat = 4.27693763128907 -3.40928764035811 0.132350009069045 -0.991340408697908 2.14040050386497 -0.149060095167062 0.0646800759857197 -0.139650584214535 1.07497050822882
Any issues here? Max brightness was measured at 560 nits so I entered this instead of 700. Unfortunately sometimes all Dolby Vision content on Netflix is way too dark and washed out. Also changing the picture mode doesn't help. I have to restart the TV and with a bit of luck after that Netflix DV content is bright and colorful as wanted. I don't know if this is a bug from Netflix App, the DV or something happened with calibration (I only calibrated the Cinema User picture mode).

If you need any more information please let me know.
We will be releasing our 2020 LG Calman Home Dolby Vision tutorial video in the next few days on our YouTube page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I saw your other videos, great content! I think I did everything right, maybe it's a bug or so. I'd appreciative if you could look into my configuration file.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Actually, it is.

Previously you needed to download a version of LightSpace (ZRO was enough) and you could extract it from the installation there and apply it other software by renaming the file.

But LightSpace ZRO had been discontinued and replaced with ColourSpace ZRO. And it seems that because the ColourSpace ZRO licenses are currently restricted as to how many will be granted them, Light Illusion are allowing users to download The EDR independently from the software.

Forums
Your post finally put pieces together for me to understand the whole procedure of how to apply FSI EDR. I recalibrated my CX, and the results are quite striking. It is like a faint pinkish cloud have been lifted from the picture. It is so appearent when comparing between two picture modes. Especially in skies and skin tones.Thanks a lot :)

1601 - 1620 of 1665 Posts