AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 1990 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ah ok thanks. Is there a way to validate the DV calibration in any way?
Not without a $$$ external pattern generator. What you can always do, is visually examine the calibration results with DV test patterns/videos.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ok. Any suggested links you can recommend for that?
You‘ll find more information searching these forums, but these DOLBY VISION are a good option if you want to work with downloadables instead of physical discs.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Disclaimer: I have only just started messing around with calman. Far from an expert.

I downloaded Calman 2021 beta and used it to calibrate my expert bright mode. I recent used calman 2020 to calibrate my expert dark using the exact same luminance and gamma. So I could have a side by side comparison.

OK so far so good. Switching between my expert bright (calman 2021) and my expert dark (calman 2020) showed me that expert bright looked overly green after my new calibration.

I uninstalled 2021 and recalibrated expert bright with 2020.

Uhhh.. What? Either I did something wrong using calman 2021, which is entirely possible... Or something is messed up with 2021. I really did my best to verify everything was set as it should be but as stated at the top, I'm no expert.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Disclaimer: I have only just started messing around with calman. Far from an expert.

I downloaded Calman 2021 beta and used it to calibrate my expert bright mode. I recent used calman 2020 to calibrate my expert dark using the exact same luminance and gamma. So I could have a side by side comparison.

View attachment 3115880

OK so far so good. Switching between my expert bright (calman 2021) and my expert dark (calman 2020) showed me that expert bright looked overly green after my new calibration.

I uninstalled 2021 and recalibrated expert bright with 2020.

View attachment 3115881

Uhhh.. What? Either I did something wrong using calman 2021, which is entirely possible... Or something is messed up with 2021. I really did my best to verify everything was set as it should be but as stated at the top, I'm no expert.
Did you target an alternative white point for one? What exactly are you trying to test? The Aurora Color Engine in 2021 is objectively better than the legacy LUT engine in 2020 in every way.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did you target an alternative white point for one? What exactly are you trying to test? The Aurora Color Engine in 2021 is objectively better than the legacy LUT engine in 2020 in every way.
Honestly I wasn't trying to test anything. I was just trying to get rid of a red dip at 10% gray in my expert dark calibration. Which you can see again in the second calibration which was done in 2020.

I did not target an alternative white point. D65.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Honestly I wasn't trying to test anything. I was just trying to get rid of a red dip at 10% gray in my expert dark calibration. Which you can see again in the second calibration which was done in 2020.

I did not target an alternative white point. D65.
The only thing I noticed was when I loaded the workflow for lg autocal SDR, and I picked rec 709/srgb from the main screen... After I clicked the settings gear icon, colorspace target was still at BT 2020. I manually changed it to D65 HD BT709, which is what I thought it should be?

Maybe that was wrong? Again, I'm just an amateur but I think maybe somewhat of your audience for calman home. I appreciate you replying. I'm sure the new color engine is better, it's entirely possible I screwed up.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
The only thing I noticed was when I loaded the workflow for lg autocal SDR, and I picked rec 709/srgb from the main screen... After I clicked the settings gear icon, colorspace target was still at BT 2020. I manually changed it to D65 HD BT709, which is what I thought it should be?

Maybe that was wrong? Again, I'm just an amateur but I think maybe somewhat of your audience for calman home. I appreciate you replying. I'm sure the new color engine is better, it's entirely possible I screwed up.
That is a bug that was found yesterday. It should be 709 bt.1886

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

Your physical setup could also have been slightly different - display and meter warmup times, pattern timing, etc. If you look at the "post" RGB balance on both, there is a difference, but it isn't very large. Your results may be well within the area of display and meter repeatability.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Your physical setup could also have been slightly different - display and meter warmup times, pattern timing, etc. If you look at the "post" RGB balance on both, there is a difference, but it isn't very large. Your results may be well within the area of display and meter repeatability.
Thanks. I didn't move the meter between the runs. But I did take advantage of calman 2021s new pattern insertion options to attempt to increase stability. So there was indeed a difference there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where is the 2021 version available from please? The downloads page of their website seems to only list the 2020 version?

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
Where is the 2021 version available from please? The downloads page of their website seems to only list the 2020 version?
You have to be part of the beta program to get access .

77CX 55E8 YTTV AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 PS4 Denon X3700H

Reactions: drags18

·
Registered
661 Posts
Any current customers can apply for the beta program on Portrait’s website.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That is a bug that was found yesterday. It should be 709 bt.1886
I don't understand... in the workflow we have to change to D65,bt709 and set 'gamma formula' to bt1886 or power 2.4 ??
@jrref

Reactions: SpeedDemon

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would appreciate it if someone could recreate my experiment from above. Even though it wasn't meant as an experiment to begin with.

If you've got an SDR mode calibrated from either calman 2020 or calman 2021, could you at least run the pre-calibration check on it with the other version?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled calman 2021 and I'm having the exact same results. Each time I run a pre-cal from the other version, it tells me my calibration is off by avg of at least 3 and max of 6.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I would appreciate it if someone could recreate my experiment from above. Even though it wasn't meant as an experiment to begin with.

If you've got an SDR mode calibrated from either calman 2020 or calman 2021, could you at least run the pre-calibration check on it with the other version?

I've uninstalled and reinstalled calman 2021 and I'm having the exact same results. Each time I run a pre-cal from the other version, it tells me my calibration is off by avg of at least 3 and max of 6.
Are you aware of the bug that sets the wrong Calibration target default when you do SDR on the 2021 beta?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Are you aware of the bug that sets the wrong Calibration target default when you do SDR on the 2021 beta?
PLEASE @WiFi-Spy can you answer my question about SDR? We need to choose D65,BT709 and gamma power 2.4 (night calibration) in the workflow to fix this?

1941 - 1960 of 1990 Posts