AVS Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 1990 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone,

I hope you are doing well.

I am facing two calibration problems between my ps4 pro and my lg cx.

First, when I play in HDR and SDR, it seems that my tv displays only a 8 bits signal in both modes. When I use the freesync informations options, it says in HDR that the tv is displaying YUV420 8bits TM for any game, and RGB 8 bits TM in SDR.

I don't think it's normal that my tv displays an 8 bits signal since it is a 10 bits tv, calibrated to display 10 bits contents when available, like here for the ps4 pro.

I have activated the ultra hd deep colour option, and plays with the hdmi cable included in the ps4 pro box.

I also used the pc mode but it didn't change anything.

All my video output options for ps4 pro are set on auto.

Is this a freesync info option bug like I read somewhere, and is there any other options to check the display infos for this tv, or is this another kind of problem ? Any idea how I could fix this ? I hope that I'll be able to use the 10 bits mode if i'm not playing it at the moment, since it is what this tv was made for.

My second problem is the kind of YUV signals sent by the ps4 to the tv. It is a yuv420 signal, but I read many times that the ps4 pro should at least display a yuv422 signal on HDR. I've seen prooves of it on some screenshots.

Is there something wrong again about the freesync infos, or are there any settings I need to change ? I hope it doesn't come from a hardware problem and that it is fixable. It is doing the same for all the hdr games I have.

I read that there was a significant difference between 420 and 422 so I hope to manage to change this asap.

Thank you very much for your help and I wish you a good health during these troubled times.

Sincerely,

Max

·
Registered
218 Posts
I redid 9 fixed grid calibration and the numbers are good and I don't see banding or issues on content (Calman LG Beta 2021).
What else I noticed is that on Netflix it shows me Gamma bt1886 locked and grayed out and when playing on USB it shows Gamma 2.2 (grayed out) ... same preset, I calibrated ISF Dark (and yes, I made sure the correct setting is chosen in workflow throughout the calib proccess).

Also, on 1D Lut auto cal, it kept showing me 0.313x and 0.329y instead of 0.3127x and 0.329y

I loaded the 3dl in ColourSpace. How does it look good or bad?

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
I redid 9 fixed grid calibration and the numbers are good and I don't see banding or issues on content (Calman LG Beta 2021).
What else I noticed is that on Netflix it shows me Gamma bt1886 locked and grayed out and when playing on USB it shows Gamma 2.2 (grayed out) ... same preset, I calibrated ISF Dark (and yes, I made sure the correct setting is chosen in workflow throughout the calib proccess).

Also, on 1D Lut auto cal, it kept showing me 0.313x and 0.329y instead of 0.3127x and 0.329y

I loaded the 3dl in ColourSpace. How does it look good or bad?

View attachment 3116706 View attachment 3116707 View attachment 3116708 View attachment 3116709 View attachment 3116710
When you use Autocal it grays out those settings. Disregard them because Calman uses Wide and whatever gamma setting you selected in the workflow regardless of what it says after in the user menu.

Your results look good. I've been getting great consistent results using the Beta without any banding or artifacts.

Reactions: chunon

·
Registered
97 Posts
With a 65", I discovered by accident that at about a 45 degree angle with a little distance I see the same thing my i1 measures. Calibrated to D65, viewed from that angle, it visually matches a D65 calibrated LCD (at all levels showing the same gray bar pattern). But from a normal viewing angle it appears much redder and the .309 .329 AWP is required for a visual match, (as well as correct looking content).

It is something else when viewed at a vertical angle. It is mounted over a computer desk. Sitting below it comparing to the D65 gray bars I came up with .3142 .3357 to match, but then moving back from the desk to the seats that it is angled towards it perceptually changed.

(I considered the viewing angle of the LCD, but it's IP and I can't detect any change at different angles).

So there's a whole viewing angle thing that I guess affects more than colorimeter calibration, (though I think it's on topic for people doing visual comparisons). It also seems to be all about red. For instance, when calibrated to D65 red saturations are non-linear ranging from well under-saturated at 25% to well over-saturated at 100%. This seems to be visually incorrect since under saturated 25% red should impact flesh tones, (though I can't think of a way to prove that). When calibrated to the AWP the meter shows correct red saturation levels. No other hue is significantly affected either way (as you would expect since I change the reference in the software).

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
under saturated 25% red should impact flesh tones, (though I can't think of a way to prove that)
In CalMAN, Color Checker Classic has Dark Skin and Light Skin, and Color Checker SG has 17 flesh tones which you can get as a subset by selecting the SG Fleshtones custom patch set.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I noticed in D-Nices settings that it looks like he's just raising/lowering the RGB channels at each step for gamma and just leaving the luminance at 0. Am I understanding this correctly? On mine i just boosted luminance until green was at the right level, and then adjusted red and blue. Is there any benefit to doing it one way or the other? (circumventing some quirk with the TV etc) or are the results going to be the same?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I noticed in D-Nices settings that it looks like he's just raising/lowering the RGB channels at each step for gamma and just leaving the luminance at 0. Am I understanding this correctly? On mine i just boosted luminance until green was at the right level, and then adjusted red and blue. Is there any benefit to doing it one way or the other? (circumventing some quirk with the TV etc) or are the results going to be the same?
The 22point luminance controls can and do cause artifacts like banding in content. It is recommended to only use the 22point RGB controls to correct any gamma issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Does anyone know if its possible to calibrate with OLED Motion Pro low ENABLED using 2020 calman home LG autocal? Thanks.
It will not. I've also tried the shadow detail control without success; it works well with BFI disabled, but I haven't found any way to avoid black crush on a CX with BFI enabled.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For the Calman 2021 Beta, is it correct to set the same values for DV as default for Calman 2020: DCI-P3, ST2024 PQ in the initial window and HDR BT 2020 in the Source tab?
For me, the beta defaulted for DV to Rec709, which is clearly wrong, but this bug has already been acknowledged.

Does the beta improve on anything with regards to DV anyway?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Help!
My CX doesn't play any DV files anymore. Not off USB, not on Netflix.
All I get is a green screen.
I've had that before, and a restart usually fixed it.
Now it won't go away. It is still there after a factory reset. I have also reset the DV Config file manually. No luck.
All I did was to calibrate DV Cinema. It worked flawlessly. The files played fine after the calibration. Then I switch to USB and get only green screen. Netflix DV files won't load.

Damn. Is there anything else I can do apart from calling customer service?

Edit: Strangely, without any effort on my part, DV files work again, as does Netflix UNLESS I play the Calman DV background file used for putting the TV in DV mode before and during calibration. Playing this file messes up my whole system. I have no idea why.
It is no longer green, but now blue/brown. After I play the files, all other DV files have color errors and Netflix won't play anything.
This very file is been playing fine before.
I have re-downloaded the file and put it on a different USB drive, I also played it via my Blu Ray player, all to no avail.
This is absolutely weird, I have to say.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Help!
My CX doesn't play any DV files anymore. Not off USB, not on Netflix.
All I get is a green screen.
I've had that before, and a restart usually fixed it.
Now it won't go away. It is still there after a factory reset. I have also reset the DV Config file manually. No luck.
All I did was to calibrate DV Cinema. It worked flawlessly. The files played fine after the calibration. Then I switch to USB and get only green screen. Netflix DV files won't load.

Damn. Is there anything else I can do apart from calling customer service?
And you tried unplugging the power from the wall? To force a real complete reboot?

·
Registered
428 Posts
And you tried unplugging the power from the wall? To force a real complete reboot?
Yes I have tried both. Unplugging for a couple of minutes, as well as a hard factory reset.
It is somewhat working now again, see above, I edited my post.
Still, my TV acts up when playing the Calman DV file used for calibration.
Whenever I play that file, I get wrong colors, files don't play at all, Netflix doesn't work, and even non-DV files start to stutter.
What's wrong here??

Last thing I did was a DV Cinema Autocal, which worked out fine. I wanted to check my results with some test files and all I got was the green screen and the trouble began.

I have had wrong color issues after DV Autocal sessions but usually a TV restart got rid of them. (Where does that come from, anyway?)

1961 - 1980 of 1990 Posts