AVS Forum banner

21981 - 22000 of 22281 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I had an issue with many dropouts as well, but on all firmware. I discovered it was my HDMI cable. It claimed to be 4k capable but I think while streaming 4k content it didn't have the bandwidth and the audio skipped.

I swapped it out with another cable and all skipping went away. I need to find a ~20' HDMI that has full bandwidth as I'm now just using a shorter temporary one.
Well 30Hz 4K is 4K, but only needs the bandwidth of HDMI 1.4. So saying 4K for a cable doesn't mean much.

Being certified premium high speed HDMI on the other hand means something (if you need HDMI 2.0 speeds). Or better yet certified ultra high speed HDMI (if you need 2.1 speeds). Certainly for 2.0 speeds, getting a certififed cable is easy (monoprice has 20' for $24 for example).

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,506 Posts
I had an issue with many dropouts as well, but on all firmware. I discovered it was my HDMI cable. It claimed to be 4k capable but I think while streaming 4k content it didn't have the bandwidth and the audio skipped.

I swapped it out with another cable and all skipping went away. I need to find a ~20' HDMI that has full bandwidth as I'm now just using a shorter temporary one.
It’s not the cables, it was fine before the update.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
ARC sound today so far so good.
Question - how do I output HDMI audio if I just want to feed it into a random connection on my AVR? Treat is as I would a DVR or UHD BD player. I tried yesterday using an non-arc input but had no sound, might have been due to other issues.

·
Registered
7 Posts
anyone watched army of the dead on a lg cx?

im getting massive amount of posterization in dark scenes (of which there are many)
I will check it out on my 65" CX tonight.

I watched it on my 50" Panasonic Plasma a few weeks ago before I bought my CX. Can't wait to check it out on the new TV.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,506 Posts
Anyone know if the built in Hulu app will get 4K streams?
Pretty sure it already does.
anyone watched army of the dead on a lg cx?

im getting massive amount of posterization in dark scenes (of which there are many)
Army of the Dead looks like trash all around and it’s not the tv. Poor tone mapping (raised blacks and low highlights), poor cinematography, it’s a bad looking movie. The fact that Snyder could make a movie shot with a Red Monstro look bad is quite the feat.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Pretty sure it already does.

Army of the Dead looks like trash all around and it’s not the tv. Poor tone mapping (raised blacks and low highlights), poor cinematography, it’s a bad looking movie. The fact that Snyder could make a movie shot with a Red Monstro look bad is quite the feat.
What’s with the propensity to the negative, man. The movie looked great, besides the dead pixels.

·
Registered
55” LG CX, JBL Bar 9.1
2,506 Posts
What’s with the propensity to the negative, man. The movie looked great, besides the dead pixels.
It didn’t though...I don’t see how anyone could possibly say it looked good. It looked objectively bad. Even if you somehow like the amateurish cinematography from Snyder the tone mapping was still terrible. The blacks looked gray and the highlights capped out at maybe 400 nits. They Mandalorianed it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It didn’t though...I don’t see how anyone could possibly say it looked good. It looked objectively bad. Even if you somehow like the amateurish cinematography from Snyder the tone mapping was still terrible. The blacks looked gray and the highlights capped out at maybe 400 nits. They Mandalorianed it.
In total agreement with you here. The bad grading (pardon, director's intent) is ridiculous here. This looked bad in any of the DoVi picture presets on my 77CX no matter if calibrated or not. Funny that the calibrated one slightly crushes the blacks (even after calibration) and I still did not have proper blacks in this movie. Very disappointed.
OTOH, generally speaking there is so much DoVi grading inconsistencies that makes one wonder why do we even bother calibrating our sets in the first place? I am, of course, exaggerating, (high OCD effects:)) and it's clear we are being spoiled in these times with such great technological advancements which we can take advantage of in our own homes, clearly besting what cinema has to offer in terms of PQ (besides sheer screen size). Oh, well, it is what it is I guess.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Army of Dead didn't look good at all...

Reactions: wrathloki

·
Vendor
30,875 Posts
Well 30Hz 4K is 4K, but only needs the bandwidth of HDMI 1.4. So saying 4K for a cable doesn't mean much.

Being certified premium high speed HDMI on the other hand means something (if you need HDMI 2.0 speeds). Or better yet certified ultra high speed HDMI (if you need 2.1 speeds). Certainly for 2.0 speeds, getting a certififed cable is easy (monoprice has 20' for $24 for example).
certified ultra high speed HDMI are just not very expensive, buy the best for literally a dollar or so more.......

·
Registered
124 Posts
I still have 03.21.18..i have no sound bar.
Should i update to 03.23.06 or is better to wait?
This is a good reliable firmware but anyway it's not even released in South Korea so it doesn't bring any major fixes or important new features, even the Fine Tune settings was only released there few weeks ago and personnaly i never had to use it in any VRR related conditions.
Let's hope Koreans are releasing something important soon...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Running 03.23.06 for past week as well, no issues here with ARC or Picture.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Can you unlock the locked settings on the LGCX? Example black level settings in Dolby Vision. It is grayed out can you change it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is the tv renaming the HDMI input when this happens? That's how I was able to tell that things went bad is when the HDMI 2 input got renamed to something other than Denon. And yeah, I went through 8 resets in one week before I finally figured out what device on the Denon was causing it and ran it directly to the tv. Like I said, the software that controls the HDMI inputs on these tv's is HORRIBLE. I wish I could offer more help but without actually looking at your setup, it;s hard to tell what is causing the issue.
Hey, don’t feel bad, you’ve been so much help. The tv seems to always want the eArc input to be there twice, and one of them seems to be my Fios box. I guess I could try plugging it into the TV and moving the PS5 to the 4K/120 port on the Denon, since it’s not benefitting from the magic remote and is the only device that plays nicely with that receiver port.

21981 - 22000 of 22281 Posts