AVS Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 10828 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,526 Posts
Is there a different panel for the 8K version vs the 4K? There's no way that the CX could be updated via Firmware to 8K resolution, correct?

·
Registered
111 Posts
But admit it BEFORE release. Whether in the end this matters or not for 4k content/gaming, to be honest due to my lack of knowledge of the technical aspects, I would have probably gotten spooked and bought a C9 instead of a CX had I known just to make sure I was covered.
Think about what your saying they designed this TV last year and they tested a number of features things seem to go well. They than manufacturer 100000s they flesh out the features and find that a component doesnt live up to the desired outcome. The world isnt perfect and neither is tech. They may have been told the hdmi 2.1 chipset which they incorporated was supposed to do what the supplier stated. Than it was found wanting. They could have lied too. No one is going to know unless some come consumer body takes them to task.

What would be cool is knowing if the hdmi chipset has changed from C9 to CX.

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
It's great to hear that this HDMI 2.1 limitation wouldn't really affect next gen consoles. I highly doubt we will ever see 4K 120hz games with any consistency.
They have Gears 5 running at 4K 100 fps already and are working on getting it to 120 fps. This is for multiplayer mode. Single player will have the graphics cranked up and run at a lower frame rate.

That's what we'll probably keep seeing, 4K 120 fps for multiplayer. And with VRR it doesn't always have to maintain that 120 fps.

·
Registered
339 Posts
They have Gears 5 running at 4K 100 fps already and are working on getting it to 120 fps. This is for multiplayer mode. Single player will have the graphics cranked up and run at a lower frame rate.

That's what we'll probably keep seeing, 4K 120 fps for multiplayer. And with VRR it doesn't always have to maintain that 120 fps.
you'd still be able to play gears 5 in 4K 120fps on the CX since it most likely only uses 10bit HDR. I doubt a single game next generation will use 12bit

also VRR maxes out at 60fps IIRC

·
Registered
494 Posts
the 40gb vs 48gb issue is a non issue except for very specific use cases. most people buying these TVs for next gen consoles are good to go. LG probably made the right call for their bottom line here
If you don't do pc gaming, you arent losing out on anything. And most hdr games uses hdr10 anyway (10 bit). For consoles it's not a problem and for 4k streaming/4k blu rays/regular cable tv, even hdmi 2.0 is sufficient.
Can you explain why PC specifically would suffer from this omission?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Is there a different panel for the 8K version vs the 4K? There's no way that the CX could be updated via Firmware to 8K resolution, correct?

Correct 4K and 8K panels are different...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Can you explain why PC specifically would suffer from this omission?
If you wanted to output from a future hdmi 2.1 card 4k120 @4:4:4, 12 bit ..you wont be able to make that work on the CX, but this would be a very limited use case. [email protected]:4:4, 10 bit would still work.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you wanted to output from a future hdmi 2.1 card 4k120 @4:4:4, 12 bit ..you wont be able to make that work on the CX, but this would be a very limited use case. [email protected]:4:4, 10 bit would still work.

there is zero reason to do that though since the tv is only a 10-bit panel. You are just making extra work for the TV to have to downscale the signal to 10-bit before being able to display it

·
Premium Member
2,304 Posts
there is zero reason to do that though since the tv is only a 10-bit panel. You are just making extra work for the TV to have to downscale the signal to 10-bit before being able to display it
It most likely processes internally at 12-bit to avoid rounding errors. Rounding up to the top 10 bits is one addition instruction and then copping off the bottom two bits takes no processing at all.

so this 40gbps vs 48gbps issue is completely irrelevant then?
It might affect banding according to some of the discussion going on around here.

·
Registered
517 Posts
It most likely processes internally at 12-bit to avoid rounding errors. Rounding up to the top 10 bits is one addition instruction and then copping off the bottom two bits takes no processing at all.
It is a bit more complicated than that. We're of course always talking about HDR since that's when we need 10+ bits.
Dolby Vision uses 12 bits for the EOTF and I recommend reading their corresponding white papers if you want more details. They explain a lot, but also require you to be familiar with the basics of the whole HDR topic. And yes, even a 10 bits panel will benefit from 12 bits DV content.

So the 40 Gbps limitation won't be relevant until we see [email protected] Hz Dolby Vision content.

Reactions: dfa973

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Think about what your saying they designed this TV last year and they tested a number of features things seem to go well. They than manufacturer 100000s they flesh out the features and find that a component doesnt live up to the desired outcome. The world isnt perfect and neither is tech. They may have been told the hdmi 2.1 chipset which they incorporated was supposed to do what the supplier stated. Than it was found wanting. They could have lied too. No one is going to know unless some come consumer body takes them to task.

What would be cool is knowing if the hdmi chipset has changed from C9 to CX.
Not sure the CX uses a 2 chip solution for HDMI 2.1 similar to the C9. I thought a one chip HDMI 2.1 solution would be cost effective. Looking in the service menu should reveal the HDMI 2.1 chip, no?

·
Registered
131 Posts
2020 LG CX-GX Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)

Reading this 40Gbps limitation thing slightly in disbelief at forking out massive premium (in UK anyway) for CX over C9 ensure I get max longevity of the hardware... Not even got the set yet! I get its not relevant today but would it be in future for 4K (not 8K) film watching, TV or gaming? Doesn’t sounds like it much but this just seems like a wrong move and mis-selling... I’d be concerned if it will limit input format compatibility in future. Is this a hardware chip limit or some processing thing they could fix via firmware? Can they even really call it fully HDMI 2.1 compliant still???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
It sounds like a polite explanation for cost cutting. LG needs to keep up with the dirt cheap prices of LCD TVs that are hitting 85" now. I think it's a smart tactic on LG's part, but it will leave consumers with a sour taste since features actually got worse from the previous generation. Maybe the C11 will make everything right again?

·
Registered
37 Posts
WHAT?!?!? Looks my honeymoon phase with my first OLED is gone. I am beside myself right now. I am considering returning the CX for a C9, or just keeping my Q8FN for the time being.

I am disgusted right now. The whole purpose of spending a little more on a TV is to future proof it for PS5 and further.
I'm in the same boat right now, I've been saving up for this TV and PS5 and/or Xbox Series X. I wanted to start the next-gen off right. But now I'm thinking about buying the C9 at Costco. It's a nice price, but I wanted to spend a little more to have something to last 5/7 years, until MicoLED.

I'm mad because how much did they save on this? I would have paid extra to have FULL 48GBPS. I would have thought since the 2019 models, we were in the clear for this years.

I'm kind of back to square one on this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Deep Color

Anyone notice this on CX77/65/55, I own CX77. Whenever I disable deep color the the television will not accept 444/422 YCbCr only 420 from my Lumagen pro. This didn't happen when I disabled deep color on my lgE7. I still get strange spikes on the color chart from calman. Mostly worried why blue and yellow won't cooperate. The other colors are random. Tested Calman and C6 on my lgE7 and the issue wasn't there. I've reset the television twice with no luck. The television has 140hrs on it. Will post in Lumagen thread also.

Attachments

2581 - 2600 of 10828 Posts