AVS Forum banner

2741 - 2760 of 8337 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is exactly the point, and I could swear that the original LG spec page for the CX 55, 65, and 77 TVs specifically listed 48Gbps—now it specifies 40Gbps. Does anyone happen to have the older version cached?

Also wonder whether it's worth petitioning Nvidia to enable 10-bit 4:4:4 at 4K/120 on their Ampere cards.
I found a cached version that mentions 48 gbps HDMI ports here: https://web.archive.org/web/20200409081716/https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv
I don't really care about the full 48Gbps because of the whole 12/10-bit thing, but I do care about it being advertised as 48Gbps when I bought it full price. For a $2k-3k+ TV LG should find a way to make good with those of us that were misled and/or lied to.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
mrtickleuk said:
Brilliant post which although humourous actually sums up the facts very nicely! Well done sir
I guess that one flew over my head.

I thought he was being very sincere with his compliments to you.
For the record I enjoyed it, yes.

I ALSO thought your post was brilliant, funny, and made an excellent point. Very refreshing!
Apparently some people were offended so again for the record, I'm sorry to all who did not see the humour.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I don't really care about the full 48Gbps because of the whole 12/10-bit thing, but I do care about it being advertised as 48Gbps when I bought it full price. For a $2k-3k+ TV LG should find a way to make good with those of us that were misled and/or lied to.
I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the CX a few weeks back. I know the 10 bit/12 bit thing is going to have no major bearing on my experience with the tv even being a PC gamer I'm not all that concerned about it. But they advertised 48 gbps HDMI ports and that's not what was ultimately delivered and that's what's bothersome.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
So, as someone that is buying an oled for 70% gaming and 30% UHD movies it seems like I would be getting the shaft primarily because Nvidia doesn't output 10bpc? I plan on buying the 3080ti when it comes out and maxing everything out.
Not at all, where did you hear that NVIDIA can't output 10bpc?

If you play a game right now in HDR, the GPU is outputting 10bpc.

I can confirm this as I have the CX 77 and a Titan RTX and everything is working as expected.

The one area where there may be some confusion is applications like Photoshop. NVIDIA used to limit non-fullscreen applications to 8bpc output unless you were using a quadro proffesional GPU but I don't think thats the case anymore.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the CX a few weeks back. I know the 10 bit/12 bit thing is going to have no major bearing on my experience with the tv even being a PC gamer I'm not all that concerned about it. But they advertised 48 gbps HDMI ports and that's not what was ultimately delivered and that's what's bothersome.
Same here. Its about the principle - They knowingly (Or unknowingly) lied to customers and I want to know what they'll do to make that right.

Reactions: muzikologist

·
Registered
592 Posts
100% agree. At this point who knows what other corners were cut. I dont believe for a second that the processor isnt the same as the C9, just with its resources allocated differently. I spent 600 dollars more on the CX than I could have spent on the C9 and gotten basically the same TV (actually inferior in some respects)

I think my mind is made up to return the CX, its just a matter of deciding if I wait for 2021, or grab a C9 before they are gone...

I understand it wont affect me at all, as I console game and stream through a shield, but the bait and switch is unacceptable and really not sitting well with me at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Based on this forum it seemed to be conveyed that Nvidia would either output at 8 or 12 bpc. I am trying to determine whether to get the c9 or cx based on wanting to fully utilize the 3080ti purchase in later years.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not at all, where did you hear that NVIDIA can't output 10bpc?

If you play a game right now in HDR, the GPU is outputting 10bpc.

I can confirm this as I have the CX 77 and a Titan RTX and everything is working as expected.

The one area where there may be some confusion is applications like Photoshop. NVIDIA used to limit non-fullscreen applications to 8bpc output unless you were using a quadro proffesional GPU but I don't think thats the case anymore.
To give some more detail, the 8bpc limit you're referencing was only for OpenGL applications on GeForce & Titan cards. Last year NVIDIA did remove the limitation for the studio drivers. I'm not sure if that change has made its way into the game ready drivers though.

source: https://www.anandtech.com/show/14682/nvidia-siggraph-2019-nv-to-enable-30bit-opengl-support-on-geforce-cards

·
Registered
124 Posts
Maybe? I have been telling people this on these forums for the last year or so. I was told here that I was wrong and to go away. Sigh.
I've seen your posts in this very thread. But not every consumer visits these forums or others to make an informed decision, nor should they be required to.

Thanks very much. I'll try contact my dealer tomorrow to see if they'd take it back outside the return window. If not, I'll get in touch LG directly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
the 10-bit also depends on whether you have RGB or 4:2:2 and possibly on DP/HDMI as well ..
to me personally if 10-bit only shows in 4:2:2 but not with RGB - that is NOT an option .. I will NOT use 4:2:2, period

but i do hope that a full HDMI 2.1 GPU wont impose any limitations on this

also what about DSC .. HDMI 2.1 supports DSC, right ? do C9/CX support DSC ?
if DSC worked - it could be used to compress bandwidth and you could get 12-bit even with 40 gbps ?

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
Someone is picking the phone up calling their lawyer right now

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Some people forget the disclaimer that final product may change when released.

Reactions: macmane

·
Registered
163 Posts
the 10-bit also depends on whether you have RGB or 4:2:2 and possibly on DP/HDMI as well ..
to me personally if 10-bit only shows in 4:2:2 but not with RGB - that is NOT an option .. I will NOT use 4:2:2, period

but i do hope that a full HDMI 2.1 GPU wont impose any limitations on this

if DSC worked - it could be used to compress bandwidth and you could get 12-bit even with 40 gbps ?
So it's situational conjecture as to whether we can get 10bpc to a cx over 40 gbps HDMI? What would we need to verify?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
No DSC support indicated in either the C9 or CX EDIDs. But since the change was done by reallocating resources in the Alpha 9 then it might not be able to handle the data stream once it uncompressed it.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
In case anyone is wondering, LG specifically callout 48Gbps. This is a wayback link to an earlier version of the CX 65" page. Attached is a screenshot of then and now.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200409081716/https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled65cxpua-oled-4k-tv
It makes you wonder if it is a firmware not hardware change. If they could decide to do 48 if they wanted to cut other processing out. It seems like they would keep the hardware the same as last year instead of resourcing/redesigning. Perhaps if there is enough uproar they could turn off the "extra AI" processing and turn back on 12 bit 4k120 4:4:4 if they wanted to - perhaps an "enhanced game mode".

So essentially the original slide could still be correct, they have the 48gbs port hardware, but run them at 40 so the processor can do other things instead.

·
Registered
9,387 Posts
So for us PC gamers the C9 should obviously be the better choice then. I hope Nvidia releases HDMI 2.1 GPUs before the C9 is sold out, so this can be verified before I make my purchase decision.
I am still waiting for the CX 77 to release. I might as well get the C977. I bought the C9 55 in February

2741 - 2760 of 8337 Posts