AVS Forum banner

2801 - 2820 of 8337 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Can I exchange the motherboard of a 65CX with that of my 65C9? I understand that it is the same screen so the differences are on the motherboard

Enviado desde mi GM1917 mediante Tapatalk
I'm sure you could if you bought both and are an electrical engineer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So as you all might have heard, the 2020 version of LG TVs including OLED and LCD HDMI 2.1 ports will not have the full 48Gbps speed and will only be limited to 40Gbps.

It may or may not be a problem.
I believe this should not be a problem as firstly, We are running the image in 4K 120Hz not 8K 60Hz. (The CX is not an 8K TV after all)
In 8K, we need 4 times as many 4K images as compared to 4K 120 which is essentially only doubling the 4K image.

Take note, the HDMI 2.1 48Gbps can reach up to 10K 120Hz. So running at 4K 120Hz without compression is still overkill for a 4K TV.

But in case you are wondering, ALL of the 2019 LG TVs including the OLED and LCD do have actual 48Gbps on their HDMI 2.1 ports. So this only applies to any new potential buyers that the 2019 versions may be a better bet. Same panel, just different internal components including full fledged 48Gbps HDMI 2.1 port though I do not know how we can even take full advantage of the entire bandwidth on a 4K TV.

But for users who are genuinely concerned, yes, it is false advertising due to them having it marketed as 48Gbps on their website itself.
However, this concern will be more towards those owning an LG 8K LCD TV shouldn't it?

News here: https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2020/05/04/lgs-2020-4k-oled-and-lcd-tvs-dont-support-full-hdmi-21/#2b54aacd6276

As for Nvidia, there is rumour news that the next RTX 3060 is at the performance of the RTX 2080 Ti. If that is true, we will truly have a flagship Nvidia GPU card capable of 4K 120Hz gaming and even more (for those with 8K TVs). So HDMI 2.1 is clearly on the list of things that will be needed in the next gen cards. So the good thing for TV gamers is that we'll have full uncompressed chroma of 4:4:4 in our 4K 120Hz gaming.
Now.. If only we can have a proper eARC implementation by the TV and the receivers. I can't stand the current implementation as it is too laggy. The audio plays later than the video. Wish they could fix this for all sources. Not just necessarily PC.
As for PC, I use extended mode and have 2 HDMI running to both TV and receiver. To get full ALLM and VRR while still outputting proper 7.1 PCM signal along with Dolby Atmos/DTS-X for movies when needed.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thank you for that screen-cap, that is very helpful!

I guess if that is the case, unless I see something stating with data or examples that video down-converted from 12bit to a 10bit panel is noticeably different than a native 10bit source, I do not see what the fuss is. Deceitful for sure, but does not seem to be a reason to revert to a C9.

I readily admit I am a noob to this and may be missing something.
Judging by current Nvidia GPUs, you will not be able to use [email protected] + 4:4:4 + 10 bit, but will be limited to 4:4:4 + 8 bit or 4:2:2 + 10 bit. This will mean banding/reduced image quality either way.

I have nothing against AMD and would gladly support them, but I'm in the high end game and their cards aren't up to it and won't be for a while. 3080Ti it has to be.

·
Registered
124 Posts
we dont currently know that
Yes we don't, I was basing my assumption off the anecdotal evidence in this thread and my own tests with my 1080Ti that lead me to believe 10 bit in Control Panel is currently only doable in 4:2:2 chroma.

Are these GPUs in theory able to output 10 bit? Yes. Might Nvidia enable 10 bit with 4:4:4 chroma via driver update or with their upcoming cards? Yes, they might.

As it stands that's too many mays for me, considering we won't be able to properly test it for quite some time.

and yes 40 gbps is enough bandwidth for [email protected] + 4:4:4 + 10 bit)
You're right, fixed that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
DTS, DTS-HD and DTS-X content plays back fine over eARC on CX, Nvidia Shield and AVR

• DTS and DTS-HD support for USB and HDMI sources - the internal decoder is missing from the factory (as announced in the documentation) and probably it will never be added to the 2020 generation - what is puzzling is that DTS and DTS-HD is not even permitted to passthrough via ARC/eARC;
Confirming the above is correct even while using an AVR that supports eARC with lossless audio. Any video content containing anything beyond a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track plays with no sound. So this means that regular DTS, DTS-HD and DTS-X in addition to Dolby True HD and Atmos doesn't work. I tested this with the built-in Photos and Video player and PLEX app with Web OS running on my LG CX 77" model.

The only way I can get around it is to have my Nvidia Shield running through eARC via my AVR (Sony STR-DN10180 which supports select HDMI 2.1 features such as eARC for lossless audio and ALLM) and that way I can playback DTS, DTS-HD and DTS-X content through in addition to Dolby True HD and Atmos. Both the KODI and PLEX apps on the Shield work just fine (AVR lists the output audio as DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-X, Atmos etc).

My issue now with the complete lack of support for lossless audio on the LG CX is that connecting my PC directly to the TV as opposed to through my AVR so that I can get GSYNC support is that I won't be able to play PC games with Atmos audio which is messed up. Unless there's some way to use the second HDMI port on my GPU to route audio directly to my AVR (not sure how I would go about setting that up in Windows 10)?

Same deal with my Xbox One X as I can't get ALLM and VRR working on my Xbox One X while connected via my Sony STR-DN1080 AVR which by the way supports some HDMI 2.1 features such as eARC and ALLM. So connecting it directly to the LG CX means that I'll get ALLM and VRR but no Atmos thanks to LG's incredibly stupid oversight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As for PC, I use extended mode and have 2 HDMI running to both TV and receiver. To get full ALLM and VRR while still outputting proper 7.1 PCM signal along with Dolby Atmos/DTS-X for movies when needed.
Could you tell me how you go that working through Windows 10? Also curious that flatpanelsHD review of the CX said that LG has fixed the issue of PCM audio being limited to 2.0 over eARC so in theory shouldn't 5.1 PCM be enough to do Atmos Atmos decoding over eARC?

·
Registered
659 Posts
  • DTS and DTS-HD support for USB and HDMI sources - the internal decoder is missing from the factory (as announced in the documentation) and probably it will never be added to the 2020 generation - what is puzzling is that DTS and DTS-HD is not even permitted to passthrough via ARC/eARC;
Confirming the above is correct even while using an AVR that supports eARC with lossless audio. Any video content containing anything beyond a Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track plays with no sound. So this means that regular DTS, DTS-HD and DTS-X in addition to Dolby True HD and Atmos doesn't work. I tested this with the built-in Photos and Video player and PLEX app with Web OS running on my LG CX 77" model.

The only way I can get around it is to have my Nvidia Shield running through eARC via my AVR (Sony STR-DN10180 which supports select HDMI 2.1 features such as eARC for lossless audio and ALLM) and that way I can playback DTS, DTS-HD and DTS-X content through in addition to Dolby True HD and Atmos. Both the KODI and PLEX apps on the Shield work just fine (AVR lists the output audio as DTS, DTS-HD, DTS-X, Atmos etc).

My issue now with the complete lack of support for lossless audio on the LG CX is that connecting my PC directly to the TV as opposed to through my AVR so that I can get GSYNC support is that I won't be able to play PC games with Atmos audio which is messed up. Unless there's some way to use the second HDMI port on my GPU to route audio directly to my AVR (not sure how I would go about setting that up in Windows 10)?

Same deal with my Xbox One X as I can't get ALLM and VRR working on my Xbox One X while connected via my Sony STR-DN1080 AVR which by the way supports some HDMI 2.1 features such as eARC and ALLM. So connecting it directly to the LG CX means that I'll get ALLM and VRR but no Atmos thanks to LG's incredibly stupid oversight.
is only for CX or for C9 too ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Its not a good look for LG first the DTS Drop out and now hdmi 2.1 bandwidth who knows what’s else will be missing when they change their mind and for real how use the AI on the TV anyway to exchange it with the bandwidth it is a lame excuse from them.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
My issue now with the complete lack of support for lossless audio on the LG CX
I don't have a 2020 OLED (at least yet, I was possibly eyeing the 48" model) so forgive my ignorance on the matter - but does it not even support plain old uncompressed PCM?

I have nothing against AMD and would gladly support them, but I'm in the high end game and their cards aren't up to it and won't be for a while.
Do you want me to hold you to that? :p

The current rumors are that RDNA2 is looking promising and that the lack of any news is a case of "no news is good news", especially since RTG under Raja previously took the more "noisy" hype and marketing approach on less-than-compelling GPU launches (see: Raja's infamous "poor Volta" and "make some noise" marketing with regard to Vega, also Intel's perpetual hype machine around their future GPUs ever since Raja joined Intel).

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here is proof that NVIDIA GPUs can output 10bit to a CX. This is just on the desktop, no HDR game launched.

This works at 2560x1440p120Hz 422 due to HDMI 2.0 bandwidth. Same for 4K60 - Its 4K60 422 10bit.
Keep in mind that the Titan RTX is no consumer card from the GeForce line but a very different beast.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Looks like my post on the 10 bit support in nvidia drivers for GeForce series was not clear enough.

I was referring to 10 bit output with full chroma support. That means either RGB output, or YCbCr 4:4:4 output. This has never been supported for the consumer series (GeForce).

10 bit output is supported for reduced chroma sampling - which means YCbCr below 4:4:4. There is no such thing as reduced chroma sampling with RGB. RGB is always full chroma.

And yes, 10 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 is supported by nvidia drivers, although 4:2:0 is not. But 10 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 has half the chroma information than RGB, which is why it's a big deal. You get more pronounced color-banding with 10 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 than with RGB.

Regarding the "enabling" of 10 bit for OpenGL applications. As far as I know, that 10 bit is not about the encoding of the video card output, but it's about using 10 bit frame buffers by OpenGL applications. This only brings OpenGL applications to parity with DirectX ones, which had 10 bit frame buffers support for years now.

·
Registered
152 Posts
@muzikologist, make sure you have HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color enabled in Picture -> Additional Settings. It's something that must be enabled to make the HDMI port work in HDMI 2.x mode.

And that your HDMI cable is a High Speed HDMI cable (the official designation for cables that support 18 Gbps bandwidth), or Ultra High Speed HDMI (the official designation for cables that support 48 Gbps through them).

·
Registered
659 Posts
I was referring to 10 bit output with full chroma support. That means either RGB output, or YCbCr 4:4:4 output. This has never been supported for the consumer series (GeForce).
10 bit output is supported for reduced chroma sampling - which means YCbCr below 4:4:4.
is this 100% confirmed information ? is this true for both DP and HDMI ?
if its true - sucks, but i hope at least this changes with HDMI 2.1 cards ..

also do you know if AMD is any different .. does it support 10-bit 4:4:4 on regular gaming AMD GPUs ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Looks like my post on the 10 bit support in nvidia drivers for GeForce series was not clear enough.

10 bit output is supported for reduced chroma sampling - which means YCbCr below 4:4:4. There is no such thing as reduced chroma sampling with RGB. RGB is always full chroma.

And yes, 10 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 is supported by nvidia drivers, although 4:2:0 is not. But 10 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 has half the chroma information than RGB, which is why it's a big deal. You get more pronounced color-banding with 10 bit YCbCr 4:2:2 than with RGB.

Regarding the "enabling" of 10 bit for OpenGL applications. As far as I know, that 10 bit is not about the encoding of the video card output, but it's about using 10 bit frame buffers by OpenGL applications. This only brings OpenGL applications to parity with DirectX ones, which had 10 bit frame buffers support for years now.
Are you referring to 4k support only? I don't have a 4k monitor, but I am able to select 10 bit at 1440p120 full RGB/YCbCr 444 in NVCP.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are you referring to 4k support only? I don't have a 4k monitor, but I am able to select 10 bit at 1440p120 full RGB/YCbCr 444 in NVCP.
please post a screenshot of this
and specify which display, GPU and DP/HDMI

I just checked my own NVCP and indeed - 10-bit only shows up for me in 422 mode .. even though there are no bandwidth constraints ..
however i am able to select 12-bit in 444 mode, which is baffling (10-bit isnt supported, but 12-bit is ??)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm getting great sound from a DTS source though arc to a Sonos Beam. For those like me not technically minded this all seems pretty bad, but considering all ive watch is a dvd, Netflix and Sky Q this DTS thing isn't an issue.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

2801 - 2820 of 8337 Posts