AVS Forum banner

2921 - 2940 of 8337 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
So I just did some more testing with the Shield connected directly to my LG CX with eARC and passthrough enabled and yes can confirm no DTS/DTS-HD and for that matter no Dolby TrueHD/Atmos either. So this means that I can't take advantage of Xbox One X ALLM and VRR support AND get Atmos at the same time as that would require connecting the console directly to the TV (ALLM and VRR options are greyed out when connected to the AVR) and since LG in their infinite wisdom decided to annex support for lossless audio from their CX televisions.
Dolby TrueHD and Dolby MAT with or without Atmos should work. Sounds like (pun intended) you're running on ARC instead of eARC. Is there an eARC setting in your AVR? What model is it? Are you using a HDMI cable "with Ethernet"?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dolby TrueHD and Dolby MAT with or without Atmos should work. Sounds like (pun intended) you're running on ARC instead of eARC. Is there an eARC setting in your AVR? What model is it? Are you using a HDMI cable "with Ethernet"?
I would love to be proven wrong here but sadly no dice with Atmos/Dolby True HD.

eARC on both the TV and the AVR (model Sony STRDN1080) are enabled. Yes, I'm using a HDMI 2.0/high speed (18Gbps) cable. I tried multiple cables just to make sure the HDMI cable wasn't the issue. In all cases, it downgrades the stream to the compressed as hell and base level Dolby Digital 5.1 on any video files that support TrueHD/Atmos when connecting the Shield directly to the TV. The built-in apps such as the Photos and Videos also don't support Dolby TrueHD/Atmos so it is consistent with that.

Has anyone been able to achieve anything beyond Dolby Digital 5.1 on their CX televisions?

·
Registered
54 Posts
The CX can't do 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 12-bit because it can only handle HDMI 2.1 40Gbps port speed. The new Nvidia cards might not be able to do 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 10-bit which is what LG was hoping everyone would use instead.

So you either have to go 4K 120Hz 4:4:4 8-bit (bad for HDR), 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 12-bit (significant loss of VRR range), 4K 120Hz 4:2:2 12-bit (loss of chroma resolution) or use 1440p/1080p instead (loss of resolution).
Is there any explanation for why nVidia can support 12-bit on certain resolution/chroma combinations but not 10-bit over HDMI?

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I would love to be proven wrong here but sadly no dice with Atmos/Dolby True HD.

eARC on both the TV and the AVR (model Sony STRDN1080) are enabled. Yes, I'm using a HDMI 2.0/high speed (18Gbps) cable. I tried multiple cables just to make sure the HDMI cable wasn't the issue. In all cases, it downgrades the stream to the compressed as hell and base level Dolby Digital 5.1 on any video files that support TrueHD/Atmos when connecting the Shield directly to the TV. The built-in apps such as the Photos and Videos also don't support Dolby TrueHD/Atmos so it is consistent with that.
The cable has to say "with Ethernet" on it or the packaging. High speed HDMI cables without the Ethernet channel will have issues with eARC.

The built in apps won't support lossless audio because they're internally limited to ARC by the hardware.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess if I do the DTS workaround (connecting devices directly to AVR) then all the Simplink stuff won't work correctly. Is that correct?

I like using one remote control and I use TV volume control to increase the volume on the AVR. Will that still work if I connect directly to the AVR? I have a bad feeling that inputs and volume won't work correctly if I use Simplink in this situation.
Simplink stuff still works so you'll still be able to use the LG remote to control any devices connected to the AVR. I was able to control my Shield just fine with LG's remote. More of an HDMI CEC thing and as long as all the devices in the chain support that feature, then you will be fine.

Reactions: sodapop74 and mikek

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Yes, this is why I specifically said that DTS/DTS-HD works when connecting the Shield to my AVR and doesn't work when directly connected to the TV. I said both eARC and 'passthrough' settings were enabled on the LG CX tv just for clarity on config of the settings. Apologies if I confused anyone in the way I referenced eARC.

So I just did some more testing with the Shield connected directly to my LG CX with eARC and passthrough enabled and yes can confirm no DTS/DTS-HD and for that matter no Dolby TrueHD/Atmos either. So this means that I can't take advantage of Xbox One X ALLM and VRR support AND get Atmos at the same time as that would require connecting the console directly to the TV (ALLM and VRR options are greyed out when connected to the AVR) and since LG in their infinite wisdom decided to annex support for lossless audio from their CX televisions.

Same deal on PC - in order for me to take advantage of both G-SYNC and ATMOS at the same time won't be possible unless I'm able to some way route just the audio component to the AVR while connecting the other HDMI directly to the TV.

I'm assuming I'll be able to get around these issues if I invest in an AVR with the full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports onboard so I can just route everything through the AVR but then there's no guarantee that GSYNC will work.

I'm bummed about this as I dropped some serious coin on the 77" CX. Does anyone know whether the C9 supported DTS and lossless audio?

So eARC is not working. It should pass trueHD to the receiver

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Is there any explanation for why nVidia can support 12-bit on certain resolution/chroma combinations but not 10-bit over HDMI?

Internet FUD? I dunno I get 10bit at 4:2:2 or rgb full from 1089p, 1440p, or 4k

This is display port to my hdr1000 monitor
Or 50 foot hdmi to Sony z9d

·
Registered
37 Posts
I though the 2060 was getting it from a firmware update?
Not that I have seen. Will be nice if so, but it's kind of old now. Yamaha just makes quality products, my first receiver from them is still working and looks brand new from 2012. I'll buy a third from them but I need to wait until HDMI 2.1 is the norm.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, this is why I specifically said that DTS/DTS-HD works when connecting the Shield to my AVR and doesn't work when directly connected to the TV. I said both eARC and 'passthrough' settings were enabled on the LG CX tv just for clarity on config of the settings. Apologies if I confused anyone in the way I referenced eARC.

Same deal on PC - in order for me to take advantage of both G-SYNC and ATMOS at the same time won't be possible unless I'm able to some way route just the audio component to the AVR while connecting the other HDMI directly to the TV.

I'm assuming I'll be able to get around these issues if I invest in an AVR with the full bandwidth HDMI 2.1 ports onboard so I can just route everything through the AVR but then there's no guarantee that GSYNC will work.

I'm bummed about this as I dropped some serious coin on the 77" CX. Does anyone know whether the C9 supported DTS and lossless audio?
I have a 77" CX and while I can't speak to all your concerns, I can tell you that the Xbox One X can deliver Atmos to my Anthem MRX 1120 receiver, which doesn't support eARC, via an HDFury Vertex2, which does accept eARC and sends it on via a regular HDMI audio output. The Xbox is connected directly to HDMI 3 on the CX so that VRR and all other video enhancements can be enabled, and the Vertex2 is connected to HDMI 2.

The Vertex2 isn't cheap ($400), but it will do what you want, and it effectively gives any HDMI-compatible receiver eARC functionality. The firmware is updated regularly and the developers are very responsive. I imagine they'll be releasing an HDMI 2.1 version at some point in the future.

As others have also testified, it is possible to send audio to your receiver from your PC via either your graphics card (using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter if necessary) or from your CPU's integrated graphics HDMI port. That way you'll get G-Sync on the CX and optimal sound from your receiver (up to and including Atmos).

·
Registered
7 Posts
The outrage part about this 40/48Gbps fiasco is not bandwidth, it's more than enough for current usage until one day Dolby Vision FEL 12bit RGB444 120Hz appears (maybe never), however, LG used to be the one committing to full HDMI 2.1 albeit without a true 2.1 SoC, the sudden cutback is a marketing decision rather than a technical thing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm sorry but...
I understand your point. However, there are people like myself who held out on buying a C9 due to lack of devices you described. However, those devices release are now imminent. Then, LG announced CX and was heavily touting full bandwidth 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 and even calling their CX 48 the ultimate gaming monitor. So, people's expectations were a screen that could display uncompromised 4k120 RGB/4:4:4 10/12-bit + dynamic HDR + VRR. Some people even bought the CX due to these promised features and may be outside their return windows so that will fuel some of the rage.

As it stands now, nothing released can compete with LG OLED in 4k market in terms of features. However, if you can wait to buy a CX and see how this situation with gimped bandwidth and nVidia incompletely supporting 10-bit output, then you should wait (or look into an AMD card?).

·
Registered
35 Posts
The outrage part about this 40/48Gbps fiasco is not bandwidth, it's more than enough for current usage until one day Dolby Vision FEL 12bit RGB444 120Hz appears (maybe never), however, LG used to be the one committing to full HDMI 2.1 albeit without a true 2.1 SoC, the sudden cutback is a marketing decision rather than a technical thing.

I wish people got this upset over stuff that actually MATTERS. I don't recall LG ever saying they support 48 GB Bandwidth. Saying they support "Full HDMI 2.1" means a lot of different things and people just assumed it meant 48 GB bandwidth, again an utterly stupid, pointless spec that means NOTHING beyond no nothing techheads being able to brag, "I have 48gb on my TV and you don't. Like I now see people who own C9s doing. It's like bragging you have a million dollars in the bank but still living in a crappy trailer park and driving a 15 year old rundown truck because you actually can't access the money.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I'm sorry but I seriously don't get this. Buying a TV based solely on a Game Console that's not coming out for 6 months and then whining about how your TV doesn't support it is stupid. Not many people really know what these Game Consoles will be able to do beyond some initial specs we've seen. We have NO IDEA what the REAL WORLD implementation will be. Just because everyone is running around saying NextGen gaming will be 4K/120 and 8K Compatible doesn't make it TRUE. And even if it eventually pans out as we all hope and dream it's going to take a few years for games to start fully supporting these Console Specs. Don't even get me started on how everyone is assuming that "Of course they'll have one of these game consoles on day one and there will be zero issues with them." When in the history of mankind has there ever been a perfect Game Console launch with zero shortages?

So buying a TV without even having a console in your hand and seeing what these things will bring is utterly pointless. Buy a new TV because you need one, or just want one with all the latest stuff. But stop with this "Future Proof" NONSENSE. There's ALWAYS something better or new tech on the horizon. And please spare me all the posers pretending like you are so upset over a Spec no other manufacturer supports that you are going to return your CX for a C9 when there's NOTHING that supports 48gb bandwidth.

This is a prime example of the old saying "a little knowledge is dangerous." I'm annoyed that I'm this upset and irritated at how gullible people are to go nuts over nothing. And I'm sure someone will also report this post to the over sensitive moderators who clearly only want trolls who spread misinformation and anger here. Because apparently you aren't allowed to like or defend LG OLEDs in an LG OLED OWNER'S FORUM without constantly being flagged by the "moderators," or called "unthinking, uncritical fanboys." THAT is perfectly acceptable here.
U being upset and irritated and writing essays expressing that anger about what the next man or woman on the internet is bothered by in regards to a television is more concerning

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I wish people got this upset over stuff that actually MATTERS. I don't recall LG ever saying they support 48 GB Bandwidth. Saying they support "Full HDMI 2.1" means a lot of different things and people just assumed it meant 48 GB bandwidth, again an utterly stupid, pointless spec that means NOTHING beyond no nothing techheads being able to brag, "I have 48gb on my TV and you don't. Like I now see people who own C9s doing. It's like bragging you have a million dollars in the bank but still living in a crappy trailer park and driving a 15 year old rundown truck because you actually can't access the money.
Actually LG did say 48 GB in the description of this TV thats why people are pissed

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
What can be done to get the internet connection working again on a CX? The connection on mine just randomly died. I was using the Youtube app, earlier, and came back with no changes to anything and now it's not working. The router is clearly working (I'm using it now). I've power cycled the router and even changed the cable and port that is connected to the TV (wired connection). No changes, still wont go online.

........................................................ and now the optical out isn't working. I've got ****ing gremlin in this place.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Would you take a photo of your cable. Make sure it is an eARC cable.
Okay so after switching cables, I was able to get Atmos but it is of the compressed Dolby Digital+(Plus) variety and not based on the lossless Dolby TrueHD. I also have eARC enabled on the AVR which I double checked in the AVR's settings (attached a pic of my settings in the AVR).

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 77" CX and while I can't speak to all your concerns, I can tell you that the Xbox One X can deliver Atmos to my Anthem MRX 1120 receiver, which doesn't support eARC, via an HDFury Vertex2, which does accept eARC and sends it on via a regular HDMI audio output. The Xbox is connected directly to HDMI 3 on the CX so that VRR and all other video enhancements can be enabled, and the Vertex2 is connected to HDMI 2.

The Vertex2 isn't cheap ($400), but it will do what you want, and it effectively gives any HDMI-compatible receiver eARC functionality. The firmware is updated regularly and the developers are very responsive. I imagine they'll be releasing an HDMI 2.1 version at some point in the future.

As others have also testified, it is possible to send audio to your receiver from your PC via either your graphics card (using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter if necessary) or from your CPU's integrated graphics HDMI port. That way you'll get G-Sync on the CX and optimal sound from your receiver (up to and including Atmos).
Thanks for your suggestion however I already have an eARC enabled receiver (attached a pic of the AVR's setting screen showing eARC is enabled) which should negate the need for another external device like the Vertex 2. Sony released a firmware update last year for the STR-DN1080 for eARC specifically for getting uncompressed audio formats like Dolby True HD/Atmos from the TV and decoding them on the AVR - https://www.sony.com.au/electronics/support/downloads/00016639

After switching around some cables, I was able to get Atmos but it is based on the compressed Dolby Digital+(Plus) not the uncompressed DolbyTrueHD. eARC is enabled on the TV and AVR. Also the same result with the Xbox One X's 4K Blu-ray player.

Attachments

2921 - 2940 of 8337 Posts