AVS Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 8337 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mine didn't have any plastic on the back, only the front. That said, no weird smell from mine either though.
So after posting this, I went and took a hard look at the back ... and sure enough, it had plastic on it. It was hard to see/feel, but was able to get a corner pulled up and removed it.

There are HDMI issues for sure on the cx...my shield is flaky (and shuts the tv off when I change inputs) and yesterday the tv was stuck in a loop switching constantly between hdmi1 and 3 for no reason. Had to unplug the tv for it to stop. Hopefully a firmware update fixes it...I am on the .60 latest Korean fw
Right, there's certainly something strange with the CEC. I experienced odd input switching behaviors as well, so I turned all the CEC functions off. This is why I'm using optical instead of ARC, since the CX won't allow you to use ARC without the CEC functions turned on.

I will say after I updated to 03.00.60 firmware, the odd CEC input switching issues went away ... but I just left the optical setup since it was working fine for me. I do plan to replace my UMC-200 with a 4k capable unit soon though; and will route everything through the new unit when I do.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So after posting this, I went and took a hard look at the back ... and sure enough, it had plastic on it. It was hard to see/feel, but was able to get a corner pulled up and removed it.

Right, there's certainly something strange with the CEC. I experienced odd input switching behaviors as well, so I turned all the CEC functions off. This is why I'm using optical instead of ARC, since the CX won't allow you to use ARC without the CEC functions turned on.

I will say after I updated to 03.00.60 firmware, the odd CEC input switching issues went away ... but I just left the optical setup since it was working fine for me. I do plan to replace my UMC-200 with a 4k capable unit soon though; and will route everything through the new unit when I do.
I'm on 3.00.45 I believe, Im switching all my cables soon as I have a bit of a miss mash of different ones, going to get all premium certified.

Those that game on this do you keep dynamic tone mapping to on in HDR game mode?

I have options of on/off or HGIG, I believe HGIG is not supported in many games, so unsure if I should just turn it off, it is a lot brighter with it on though.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Mine didn't have any plastic on the back, only the front. That said, no weird smell from mine either though.
It's possible that you missed it, so you may want to check again. You might need to shine a torch on it to see it.

The plastic on the back can be very, very difficult to see and it doesn't have the friendly visible "tabs" on it to help you take it off. On the 2018 models there were 3 separate pieces of plastic on the back, and loads of people only removed the central piece and thought they had finished the job. But they had not!

EDIT: I've only just read your later post. I bet you only got the 1 big piece and missed the other two :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Club3D recently released their catalog for 2020.
In that catalog they revealed their new "DisplayPort™1.4 to HDMI™ 4K120HzHDR Active adapter M/F".

https://club-3d.com/id=8/openpdfnews/6_1/pdf/club3d_catalog_2020_web.pdf/ (direct download).

To my surprise this adapter also has a VRR/FreeSync/G-Sync bypass.
This looks promising. If I'm understanding correctly, even though DP 1.4 only supports 32.4 Gbit/s, the DSC 1.2 compression will enable it to carry 10-bit 4K/120/HDR/4:4:4—and even though the CX doesn't support DSC, that won't matter because the Club3D device will decompress the DP signal for transmission over HDMI. The PC will see the CX as a DP rather than an HDMI display thanks to the Club3D device, so 10-bit output can be enabled in the NVCP. Does that sound right, or I am being too optimistic here?

·
Registered
147 Posts
It's possible that you missed it, so you may want to check again. You might need to shine a torch on it to see it.

The plastic on the back can be very, very difficult to see and it doesn't have the friendly visible "tabs" on it to help you take it off. On the 2018 models there were 3 separate pieces of plastic on the back, and loads of people only removed the central piece and thought they had finished the job. But they had not!

EDIT: I've only just read your later post. I bet you only got the 1 big piece and missed the other two :D

Thanks! On the CX, the one big piece also extended down the sides though. The rear of the CX is a bit different than this picture shows.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Vendor
26,593 Posts
Be aware by default you give permission to lg to sell your information, spy on everything you watch and shower you with personalized ads.
You have to go through the settings and turn them off.
Makes you wonder if it is still being used even when turned off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
To discuss the BFI further

- at 120hz the medium setting does not reduce the brightness nearly as much as at 60hz, however the BFI effect seems to be minimal.

Anybody else notice this? TLDR significant differences in brightness reduction and benefit of BFI depending on refresh rate.

Also can anyone confirm 1-2ms improvement in input lag over C9?

Also I wish there was a way to try 3D out on this guy. It took me forever to find the right combo of 3rd party glasses + plasma combination to enjoy 3D but now I can't use all my 3D discs. 3D was amazing when it was displayed perfectly (which I'm sure 99.995% of set-ups did not do).

·
Registered
4 Posts
There was this:

I rang Richer Sounds and they said "early June" and were taking pre orders.
Well, for my OLED48CX pre-order... had a call from Currys and yep, stock/delivery delayed from 15th May. They say now it will be 29th May, with delivery soon after that. Perhaps a limited number of initial stock and I fall into the "2nd batch"... but like you say, looking realistically like it will be early June in UK.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
Shouldn't be surprising. VRR is actually a very simple tweak to the video signal. All the video card does is keep sending out the vertical blanking signal until the next frame is ready. Blurbusters even got it working on certain Multisync CRT monitors with an analog converter.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In previous years oled, in order to get true full chroma 444 we need to label the input "pc". Is it the same on the CX? PC mode has banding problem so I never use it.
I can get 4:4:4/RGB when using Game Console just fine, without changing the label. I'm currently on [email protected] 4:2:0 8 bit, which is prone to severe banding. But there are to me no obvious differences between "Game Console" and "PC" in that regard.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I can get 4:4:4/RGB when using Game Console just fine, without changing the label.
can you confirm this 100% ? did you use chroma testing images to confirm that 444 is displayed properly ?

because this (444 outside of PC input) is not possible on C9 .. if the CX can do this now, then its pretty big deal for PC use

but i guess we will know soon from the CX rtings review anyway, they test this

·
Registered
124 Posts
can you confirm this 100% ? did you use chroma testing images to confirm that 444 is displayed properly ?

because this (444 outside of PC input) is not possible on C9 .. if the CX can do this now, then its pretty big deal for PC use

but i guess we will know soon from the CX rtings review anyway, they test this
So you mean it's not shown properly in Game Console even when set to 4:4:4? I'll test later using the 4k image. Haven't bothered with it yet since PC mode works just fine for my tastes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can somebody tell me if the Cx can use BFI and Gsync at the same time?, i have read quite a few pages of the thread but i couldnt find the final answer, thanks

·
Registered
659 Posts
So you mean it's not shown properly in Game Console even when set to 4:4:4? I'll test later using the 4k image. Haven't bothered with it yet since PC mode works just fine for my tastes.
i dont know if it is
yeah, please test it

as for PC mode - on C9 you can not set the color gamut to Wide apparently, its greyed out/locked out

some say it leads to washed out image on PC input on C9

does CX allow to change color gamut on "PC" input ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Still racking my brain over whether to get the C9 vs CX when it comes to using a future Nvidia card and outputting at the proper 10bit 4k 120hz 4:4:4. I have combed the thread(s) and checked other sources and it basically comes down to whether or not Nvidia will announce a change in their gpu output or whether I can SLI with a cheap quadro card and expensive rtx card to trick it into accepting the 10bit output.

I will wait until the announcement on 5/14 from Nvidia to see if they have anything to say about it, as well as watch rtings and Vincent's review to see if they even found any noticeable upgrades to performance in C9/CX and if the new model is even justified. At that point I will have to hope there are C9's left (assuming by mid/late May there will still be some left) and then just make the best guess and hope it all pans out.

The DTS stuff doesn't bother me as I run everything through my receiver and wont hook anything directly to TV.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Club3D recently released their catalog for 2020.
In that catalog they revealed their new "DisplayPort™1.4 to HDMI™ 4K120HzHDR Active adapter M/F".

https://club-3d.com/id=8/openpdfnews/6_1/pdf/club3d_catalog_2020_web.pdf/ (direct download).

This looks promising. If I'm understanding correctly, even though DP 1.4 only supports 32.4 Gbit/s, the DSC 1.2 compression will enable it to carry 10-bit 4K/120/HDR/4:4:4—and even though the CX doesn't support DSC, that won't matter because the Club3D device will decompress the DP signal for transmission over HDMI. The PC will see the CX as a DP rather than an HDMI display thanks to the Club3D device, so 10-bit output can be enabled in the NVCP. Does that sound right, or I am being too optimistic here?

Nice find! This looks like a promising workaround if nvidia doesn't end up supporting 10bit over hdmi 2.1. RTX-20 series cards support DSC on DisplayPort 1.4a, so we could potentially try this adapter out before the RTX-30 series cards are available if the adapter comes out first. DSC support in display devices seems to be fairly new, it looks like one of the first monitors to support DSC has just come out very recently, the ASUS XG27UQ. TFT Central has tested that monitor with the RTX-20 series using DSC and they found it works great with [email protected], 10-bit full RGB:

we have now managed to complete our testing using a modern NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super graphics card, that supports DSC. There was nothing specific to enable from the drivers or software, we were now just able to select 3840 x 2160 resolution and run at 144Hz, 10-bit colour depth and full RGB straight away. We were pleased that there was no visual loss to our eyes and in our range of tests which was excellent. You can certainly see chroma sub-sampling when you use that old method especially in desktop applications, but that was not necessary now that DSC was being used. We saw no additional lag either when using this and no noticeable side-effects. This seemed to work very nicely to allow you to squeeze more out of the bandwidth of DisplayPort 1.4
source: TFT Central review of the ASUS XG27UQ

So for RTX-20 series and up the Club3D adapter with DSC should be just plug and play. Depending on when the Club3D adapter comes out I may get it to test out with my RTX-20 series card and the LG CX.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Does that sound right, or I am being too optimistic here?
To me it sounds right. At least that is what I understand aswell :D

Shouldn't be surprising. VRR is actually a very simple tweak to the video signal. All the video card does is keep sending out the vertical blanking signal until the next frame is ready. Blurbusters even got it working on certain Multisync CRT monitors with an analog converter.
I always thought that this won't be possible because DP uses Adaptive Sync which must be then converted
to HDMI VRR. I expected that this would add a delay that ruins VRR. But yea. Looks like I was wrong. Which is why I was really surprised ^__^

Perhaps there is a way to get HDMI 2.1 benefits without having an HDMI 2.1 GPU? Would this work? Seems like it might?
Yep. This is what the adapter is for. But you want to make sure that you have a GPU with Displayport 1.4.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
I always thought that this won't be possible because DP uses Adaptive Sync which must be then converted
to HDMI VRR. I expected that this would add a delay that ruins VRR. But yea. Looks like I was wrong. Which is why I was really surprised ^__^
Looks like Adaptive Sync works the same way by extending the vertical blanking. Found the thread with the details: https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?t=4710

3321 - 3340 of 8337 Posts