AVS Forum banner

3381 - 3400 of 8892 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Do you guys use filmmaker mode for SDR movies?, Im guessing its just the same as ISF dark/bright with all the processing off, OLED light at 25 is so dim as well.
Keep in mind that filmmaker mode is made for reference viewing.
This also includes the viewing environment. Most people do not have a "pitch-black room".
Instead most people have their TVs in a living room (which usually does not have black walls and stuff like that). But even if you turn off your lights in these rooms they are not completely dark.

So yea, while it is nice that the UHD Alliance came up with that idea it is pretty much usless for a majority of people. Which is why I would not recommend to use Filmmaker mode.

FlatpanelsHD measured all interesting picture modes of the CX. As you can see
ISF Expert Dark Room and Filmmaker Mode measure pretty much identical.
Same goes for Cinema HDR and Filmmaker Mode HDR.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_SDR_ISFDark.jpg
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_SDR_Filmmaker.jpg

The only difference here is Peak Luminance.

So yea. Go with ISF Expert Dark Room and adjust OLED Light to your liking.
This is also what sites like Rtings recommend, because every room is a bit different.
So there is not a fixed value to recommend. If you think a value around
50 works for you go with it. On my C9 I went with OLED Light 40 in ISF Expert Dark Room.
A friend of mine went with OLED Light 55 on his C9.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Keep in mind that filmmaker mode is made for reference viewing.
This also includes the viewing environment. Most people do not have a "pitch-black room".
Instead most people have their TVs in a living room (which usually does not have black walls and stuff like that). But even if you turn off your lights in these rooms they are not completely dark.

So yea, while it is nice that the UHD Alliance came up with that idea it is pretty much usless for a majority of people. Which is why I would not recommend to use Filmmaker mode.

FlatpanelsHD measured all interesting picture modes of the CX. As you can see
ISF Expert Dark Room and Filmmaker Mode measure pretty much identical.
Same goes for Cinema HDR and Filmmaker Mode HDR.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_SDR_ISFDark.jpg
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_SDR_Filmmaker.jpg

The only difference here is Peak Luminance.

So yea. Go with ISF Expert Dark Room and adjust OLED Light to your liking.
This is also what sites like Rtings recommend, because every room is a bit different.
So there is not a fixed value to recommend. If you think a value around
50 works for you go with it. On my C9 I went with OLED Light 40 in ISF Expert Dark Room.
A friend of mine went with OLED Light 55 on his C9.
Thank you good info, I have settled on 45 oled light for ISF dark room.

I can't remember if HDR10 or Dolby Vision has filmmaker mode, one of them does, do you use filmmaker in HDR mode?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Nope, this is a CX-GX owners' thread for gamers and non gamers alike.

Since non gamers are a minority at least for these models it may make more sense to create a thread dedicated to those who do not game then to tell the majority to go to a thread dedicated to gamers.
It sucks to be a member of that particular minority. Hopefully someone creates a 2020 LG CX-GX Dedicated Non Gaming Thread :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thank you good info, I have settled on 45 oled light for ISF dark room.

I can't remember if HDR10 or Dolby Vision has filmmaker mode, one of them does, do you use filmmaker in HDR mode?
Filmmaker Mode is only available in SDR and HDR10.

Cinema HDR and Filmmaker Mode HDR measure pretty much identical:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_HDR_Cinema.jpg
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_HDR_Filmmaker.jpg

On my friends CX I could not really see a difference between those modes.
Maybe you want to test it yourself. If you do not see a difference between those
modes flip a coin :D
Since my C9 does not have a Filmmaker Mode, I use Cinema for HDR10.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Anyone here with a Q90R Soundbar and a CX OLED?

I can't get eARC working. When I switch to eARC in the CX settings, it takes about 3 seconds. Nothing happens in that 3 seconds timeframe. The SB displays still TV ARC instead of eARC. After the 3 seconds the TV switches back to the internal speakers. I can't get it working. Tested several HDMI cables. Nothing helps. Q90R SB is on latest FW with eARC support. CX also on the newest firmware 03.00.60 released today here in europe. Its a shame that LG is having issues with eARC over and over again.

Anyone the same problem? Or a solution?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Could you not simply run a second output from the Nvidia HDMI to your receiver for lossless audio?
In theory, yes. But one of the reasons I have a tv with eARC and am having my surround sound processor upgraded to an eARC capable board (it's not a receiver so much as a high end headphone processor https://smyth-research.com/) was to be able to run my gaming devices to the tv and then use a single cable to run audio out via eARC.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Filmmaker Mode is only available in SDR and HDR10.

Cinema HDR and Filmmaker Mode HDR measure pretty much identical:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_HDR_Cinema.jpg
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/pictures/LG_CX_HDR_Filmmaker.jpg

On my friends CX I could not really see a difference between those modes.
Maybe you want to test it yourself. If you do not see a difference between those
modes flip a coin :D
Since my C9 does not have a Filmmaker Mode, I use Cinema for HDR10.
Just tested, and filmmaker and Cinema are identical, it seem's pretty pointless having both modes, to make it less confusing I have just selected cinema for both HDR10 and DV.

I have turned off dynamic tone mapping in HDR10 as well, I have also changed both to warm 1, trying get used to that as prefer it to warm 2.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone get "LG Premium Care" warranty upgrade or something like SquareTrade for your CX? Do any of these cover burn-in?
The only extended warranty that explicitly covers burn-in is Best Buy's. LG and SquareTrade do not.

Having said that, there are plenty of anecdotal cases that LG is accommodating people affected by burn-in on a case-by-case basis, even out of warranty, with panel replacements or buy-backs. That's not guaranteed however so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
43 Posts
isnt BFI on high super dark ? Like max ~80 nits or something like that ?

There's definitely trade offs. Depends on what type of gaming you are doing, for me certain games it's nice to be able to go to perfect motion. Also 120hz has less of a BFI brightness reduction than at 60hz.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Uncompressed DolbyTrueHD/Atmos WORKS with HDMI sources over eARC BUT it is extremely flaky

I turned off my CX from the power outlet and after doing so I was able to get proper uncompressed DolbyTrueHD flavour of Atmos from the Xbox One X's Bluray player and in Atmos supported games. No stuttering and no Dolby Digital+ compressed garbage.
Having CEC issues i wonder if this will fix it as well...did you unplug JUST the TV from the wall, or everything connected to it (like unplugging the entire surge protector)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Since we are on the topic of BFI, can anyone explain the scenario in which it should/shouldn't be used for gaming?

I was under the impression that TruMotion was something that should never be used as it added the soap effect.

Curious if this is something I should explore for gaming on PC and even console.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Anyone with a CX or any oled with thew newer flat front stand using a soundbar? The CX sits so low on the stand, about 1.5inches from the TV stand, and most soundbars are 2.5inches tall. Any issues with it blocking the bottom of the screen?

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
It sucks to be a member of that particular minority. Hopefully someone creates a 2020 LG CX-GX Dedicated Non Gaming Thread :rolleyes: ;)
I'm hoping someone creates a 2020 LG CX-GX Dedicated Dolby IQ Thread :D

Reactions: stl8k

·
Registered
156 Posts
Anyone with a CX or any oled with thew newer flat front stand using a soundbar? The CX sits so low on the stand, about 1.5inches from the TV stand, and most soundbars are 2.5inches tall. Any issues with it blocking the bottom of the screen?

I actually had to remove my soundbar (which was already low profile) because it was covering the bottom portion of the screen. I am likely going to buy a 3rd party rotating stand from amazon which elevates the TV and allows for the soundbar to live underneath.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a question regarding the wired/wireless speeds and the best way to get my CX connected to my network. With my C8 and now my CX I've been wired to one of my available four LAN ports on my network. It dawne on me this morning that I may actually be worse off speed wise than wireless since the tv supports AC wireless but only 10/100 wired. Has anyone tested the two? I'm not asking the tv itself to do anything too newtork intensive as I have other devices wired that deal with high bitrate stuff and I would be able to free up a LAN port for something else. Am I nuts for think that wifi might actually be the way to go in this situation?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a question regarding the wired/wireless speeds and the best way to get my CX connected to my network. With my C8 and now my CX I've been wired to one of my available four LAN ports on my network. It dawne on me this morning that I may actually be worse off speed wise than wireless since the tv supports AC wireless but only 10/100 wired. Has anyone tested the two? I'm not asking the tv itself to do anything too newtork intensive as I have other devices wired that deal with high bitrate stuff and I would be able to free up a LAN port for something else. Am I nuts for think that wifi might actually be the way to go in this situation?
Depends on your WiFi - for me WiFi is far superior to the 100 LAN port. But the TV is only about 8 feet from the access point. I'd just test it and see if you get any stutter in your favorite streaming apps.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Question about the DTS removal from the CX. Im pretty sure it doesnt affect me (i dont own any physical movies and exclusively stream through the shield)

If I get a soundbar that has DTS support, I wont get any sound from anything connected to the TV because the tv doesnt support it. However, if I use the passthrough, and connect a device to the soundbar itself, it WILL, right?

In that same vein, does anyone know if the ps4 supports DTS? If it does, do I want to use DTS or dolby on the ps4?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Depends on your WiFi - for me WiFi is far superior to the 100 LAN port. But the TV is only about 8 feet from the access point. I'd just test it and see if you get any stutter in your favorite streaming apps.
I have a mesh network and the tv is probably 5 feet from on the the AP satellites which was why I started thinking this way. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: Siran77
3381 - 3400 of 8892 Posts