AVS Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 8743 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
77”GX arrived from Best Buy. Let’️s see how this goes. First LG OLED. I’️ve been a Sony only guy for YEARS. Recently purchased an A9G. Beautiful picture as always from Sony, but had lots of annoying issues. Mainly audio dropout and loss CONSTANTLY over eARC to my sound bar. HDMI inputs mot recognizing my cable box. Macroblocking and flashing in dark scenes. Mainly the audio issue pushed me over the edge having to constantly reboot the TV set. So I decided to give LG a try and see how it goes. I hear the macroblocking And flashing is almost nonexistent on the new LGs and near black detail is improved so we will see.
Someone else also posted: I’️ve read from numerous sources and I’️ve heard that LG has vastly improved on Shadow detail and flashing/macroblocking so I’️m giving it a try. If it’️s the same issue with the GX I’️ll be using my final exchange and going back to the A9G.

MY THOUGHTS REGARDING BOTH POSTS:

I had this A9G for a while, but no one told me and I never read about this macroblocking and flashing.

I believe Vincent had a review about the LG B9 vs C9 that had some of this, and he reported that LG darkened the gamma on the B9 to "mask" it. (I noticed this darker gamma look at Best Buy when comparing it to the LG C9 below it). Vincent said this was corrected on the C9.

Anyway, up to now, I always felt from my direct observations between the two tvs(C9 vs A9G), that the LG "held it's own" against the Sony with the Sony edging out the LG in a couple of areas - but not by a lot. But it is refreshing to read about the "relief" from someone who just got free of Sony "issues" by coming over to LG.

Unless your experience with your A9G is unique, I find it very interesting that even from my favorite panel reviewers, they "elect" to hold this information about the "latest and greatest" from an inquiring public.

Perhaps they don't want to "spoil" the "all around good feeling" from their review./forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
I actually heard about it from a reviewer for the first time today browsing YouTube. Me trying hard to find reasons why I should go back to my beloved Sony lol. Anyway, Vincent aka HDTVTest did an E9 vs A9G comparison and he pointed out the exact issue I was having with my panel. The flashing and all. He’s the only person I’ve seen point it out.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I actually heard about it from a reviewer for the first time today browsing YouTube. Me trying hard to find reasons why I should go back to my beloved Sony lol. Anyway, Vincent aka HDTVTest did an E9 vs A9G comparison and he pointed out the exact issue I was having with my panel. The flashing and all. He’s the only person I’ve seen point it out.
Well I stand corrected then (in a good way) that Vincent is "keeping it real" with regard to the mighty A9G.
(Love his reviews and his very "dry" humor).

But "that" review you mentioned and your post about problems with the A9G in this area are still a first for me.
Still leaves me scratching my head. This may be common knowledge to others, but it sure wasn't in my bag of info.

I wish I was armed with that information when I was deciding between the A9G and the C9 I was directly comparing.
It wouldn't have affected my decision because I went with the LG anyway. But it is "unsettling" how many are "quiet" about it.

Definitely will be "adjusting" my pro/con list about the LG and Sony OLEDS.

·
Vendor
26,657 Posts
I agree with this but the key question is what is the probability that a TV fails between the end of the manufactured guarantee period and the end of the extended guarantee period? I have seen statistics related to electronic components showing that the likelihood of failure is small during this period.
I actually stated that in my prior post. Our Mack Warranty Rep told us, in a 5 year period electronics fail 10% on average.....

·
Registered
999 Posts
You mean flashing in low bitrate dark scenes in SDR content on the sony a9g? It is definitely a problem on mine, i owned an a9f prior to a9g, the problem existed there too. And it hurts what otherwise is a good tv with SDR content. I heard that lg on their oleds released a f/w that solved or reduced the occurence of flashing. I doubt it should be an issue on your CX.

Reactions: Sargon 1

·
Registered
193 Posts
Vincent's unboxing

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
I actually heard about it from a reviewer for the first time today browsing YouTube. Me trying hard to find reasons why I should go back to my beloved Sony lol. Anyway, Vincent aka HDTVTest did an E9 vs A9G comparison and he pointed out the exact issue I was having with my panel. The flashing and all. He’️s the only person I’️ve seen point it out.
You mean flashing in low bitrate dark scenes in SDR content on the sony a9g? It is definitely a problem on mine, i owned an a9f prior to a9g, the problem existed there too. And it hurts what otherwise is a good tv with SDR content. I heard that lg on their oleds released a f/w that solved or reduced the occurence of flashing. I doubt it should be an issue on your CX.
Yes so far on my GX I haven’t had any of the issues I was having with dark scenes on the A9G. Only downfall with the LG is the picture isn’t as sharp and detailed for low bit SDR content as it is on the Sony. I guess that’s the trade off we make. And no HBO GO app on the LG is a flaw too lol.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Cinema user is just the normal Cinema mode but with manual changes made to the settings so it shows up as Cinema (User) to show its been altered.
Not sure what you mean by "normal Cinema mode". My C9 (anyway) has Cinema User and Cinema Home.
At least with these on my set, I do not see them as the same thing, just one preset and the other for manual changes.

Apparently D-Nice doesn't either. He posted that Cinema Home was horribly way off compared to Cinema User.

I concur with Gunner842s post: For dolby vision I have a Cinema and Cinema Home, the latter being slightly brighter but I prefer the former, I keep seeing cinema user being mentioned is this on the C9.

On my C9 I'm using Cinema User over Cinema Home at least for HDR10.
I really like how the Cinema Home is brighter to compensate somewhat for HDR darkness, but I simply cannot get Cinema Home to look like film with regard to depth/pop.

·
Registered
485 Posts
You probably have a larger model, 65"? I have the 55" which puts the ports about 4inches from the edge...I'm not lying or exaggerating about it.

Look how awful this looks, and there is nothing I can do about it. Probably a good PSA for anyone in the market for a 55 inch model
Mine is 77 inch. I didn't realize the electronic housing didn't scale down with panel size, but it makes sense that it stays the same size.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,394 Posts

Go to time stamp 17:45

Edit: Dammit I am late again I quit 😂

·
Registered
488 Posts
You can return for exchange (for same or different model), just not for full money back if you don't like it. I have never in my life had cause to return a TV.
Do you believe in opposite universes?
Unfortunately, I'm from the other one.:eek: (Keep to your side!):mad:;)

How I wish I was as lucky or non-OCD as you - or both!:D

Panel uniformity has been the "return demon" on my back for years (with the exception of my two Panasonic plasma tvs).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do you believe in opposite universes?
Unfortunately, I'm from the other one.:eek: (Keep to your side!):mad:;)

How I wish I was as lucky or non-OCD as you - or both!:D

Panel uniformity has been the "return demon" on my back for years (with the exception of my two Panasonic plasma tvs).
Ha ha. It is probably some combination of luck, apathy, and perhaps also purchasing fewer TVs. But as this will be my first OLED, and who knows what dangers lurk in the digital depths that will rise above my visual threshold. I either totally don't care about something, or I find it really annoying.

Like I say, I can return the tv and get another CX or I can upgrade to something else (So I guess I shouldn't have said no returns). I just can't take my money and go to somewhere and buy the C9.

·
Registered
98 Posts
So I got the 77cx on the wall, and have been playing around with it for a few hours. (sitting on the couch letting my back recover from taking the old Pioneer Pro151 off the wall first!) watched Planet Earth 2 in 4k. Holy s.......

Regular hd cable looked as good on the Pioneer for detail, but the black level and colors are fantastic. Also, anyone who complains about brightness must want a tanning booth for a TV! (of course, I am used to a nearly 10 yr old Plasma.)

High quality cable feeds look great. Blurays look amazing.

Question for the group... The pioneer had a setting where if it detected 4:3 content with sidebars it would automatically switch to a zoom mode to avoid the side bars. Do lg oleds have anything similar? Also, I only see vertical or 4 way zoom. Is there no just horizontal zoom? I guess this is one area the pioneer processing really was ahead of its time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Are other people also experiencing this. This is possible on the C9's. Motion can be turned off when in Dolby Vision (Cinema Home mode). I cant stand teh. motion myself so have this turned off and would like to do this on the CX im awaiting.

quoting your so you don't miss this info.

Disable auto genre detection in the ai service menu under general and you can disable motion in dv

Hey just wanted to thank you for this tip, it was in-fact the auto genre AI that was blocking me from changing the True Motion setting. I turned it off and now I can use Cinema Home (User) and disable True Motion within Dolby Vision.

I did not realize this but I believe the AI settings are specific to each hdmi input. Meaning if you disable each AI setting while under HDMI1 you may need to disable them once more if you switch to HDMI2/3/4..etc

·
Registered
178 Posts
Cinema user is just the normal Cinema mode but with manual changes made to the settings so it shows up as Cinema (User) to show its been altered.
Not sure what you mean by "normal Cinema mode". My C9 (anyway) has Cinema User and Cinema Home.
At least with these on my set, I do not see them as the same thing, just one preset and the other for manual changes.

Apparently D-Nice doesn't either. He posted that Cinema Home was horribly way off compared to Cinema User.

I concur with Gunner842s post: For dolby vision I have a Cinema and Cinema Home, the latter being slightly brighter but I prefer the former, I keep seeing cinema user being mentioned is this on the C9.

On my C9 I'm using Cinema User over Cinema Home at least for HDR10.
I really like how the Cinema Home is brighter to compensate somewhat for HDR darkness, but I simply cannot get Cinema Home to look like film with regard to depth/pop.
The CX has Cinema and Cinema home Modes. When you change anything within each mode it’ll become Cinema Home User or Cinema User. If you leave it untouched then it’ll keep its original name. I use Filmmaker mode on my GX with slight tweaks so its named Filmmaker User automatically by the TV.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Curious as to how you are dealing w/ cable management here, especially if running multiple HDMI cables? Are you able to run them down the back of the leg stands inconspicuously? What are you using to adhere the cables to the leg so that it doesn’t stick out? I too would like the nicer bezel of the GX but do not plan to mount it on the wall. I was going to go the CX route only because of this reason.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Being new to the LG line of tvs, I had a question....

Did the C9 have as many or more bugs than the CX does right now?

I got my C9 a good year after it's release. (The trollers and non-owners scared me away from these great OLED tvs for a long time). But by waiting, the silver lining was that I got the benefit of all the bugs being worked out before I showed up. I also greatly benefited from the price drop.

I'm reading about quite a few different "glitches" going on. But it stands to reason that any new tv would roll out with its share of things that firmware updates can take care of over time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Being new to the LG line of tvs, I had a question....

Did the C9 have as many or more bugs than the CX does right now?

I got my C9 a good year after it's release. (The trollers and non-owners scared me away from these great OLED tvs for a long time). But by waiting, the silver lining was that I got the benefit of all the bugs being worked out before I showed up. I also greatly benefited from the price drop.

I'm reading about quite a few different "glitches" going on. But it stands to reason that any new tv would roll out with its share of things that firmware updates can take care of over time.
You could always swap the mainboard of the CX to that of a C9 and use its firmware like another user proposed. :D

(Please don't)

3521 - 3540 of 8743 Posts