AVS Forum banner

4061 - 4080 of 8337 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I’ve been beating my head against a friends 65CX since last Monday and it’s been totally maddening. On TV apps look brilliant but all external devices look dog**** super dark. I finally broke down and brought my own Xbox 1 x and 4K Apple TV over and they are similarly dark.

We have tried every setting and using ISF dark, Game mode and cinema home. They look brilliant using built in apps but all unwatchable dark on other devices.

We set his Denon x3500 to enhanced HDMI so I’m sure it’s not that. He’s using mono price 8k 48gb/SEC HDMI cables.

Any ideas?
Bypass the receiver and plug the devices directly into the TV

·
Registered
469 Posts
I’ve been beating my head against a friends 65CX since last Monday and it’s been totally maddening. On TV apps look brilliant but all external devices look dog**** super dark. I finally broke down and brought my own Xbox 1 x and 4K Apple TV over and they are similarly dark.

We have tried every setting and using ISF dark, Game mode and cinema home. They look brilliant using built in apps but all unwatchable dark on other devices.

We set his Denon x3500 to enhanced HDMI so I’m sure it’s not that. He’s using mono price 8k 48gb/SEC HDMI cables.

Any ideas?
There is also Enhanced HDMI setting on TV inputs as well if I'm not mistaken. Did you enable those?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Maybe some didn't watch the whole event because we played content as well as test patterns. It was supposed to be an small demo where we just put the calibrated two sets side by side, look at some test patterns, Stacy Spear's disk, play some video's and discuss what we see. I'm glad we were able to conference in D-Nice as well to get his input and observations from his testing. I can tell you in person, the two sets were very hard to tell apart and i'm sure if we put the A9G next to them all three would look very close.
I watched it all...maybe sony "wiped the floor with us" was a bit strong...each looked awesome, as you mentioned.

Thanks again for what you and everyone involved do for this community.

Reactions: New24K

·
Registered
60 Posts

Any ideas?

I have this setup 65CX Dennon 3400 and the same wires and my Apple TV 4K looks fantastic. I compared them with the tv apps and to me the Apple TV wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Check what the gamma is set to.. BT.1886, 2.2 , 2.4 etc. It might not be setting it correctly?

Also, disable Eco mode etc.
Everything not needed now deactivated. We have cinema home in 2.2 per recommendations in this thread. Is that wrong?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Everything not needed now deactivated. We have cinema home in 2.2 per recommendations in this thread. Is that wrong?
Have you tried changing Black level from High to low under Picture Options in the CX settings?
Enabling Dynamic Tone Mapping will help to brighten dark scenes as well.
Don't forget to turn off Peak Brightness in the settings if you are watching SDR.
Also, you can try increasing OLED Light to increase the bright scene brightness.
Disable Dynamic Contrast too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Does anyone know how access the service menu on CX? As an owner of the eu model, there is no usage time to check in the menus, so i can basically only check this via service menu.

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
Have you tried changing Black level from High to low under Picture Options in the CX settings?
Enabling Dynamic Tone Mapping will help to brighten dark scenes as well.
Don't forget to turn off Peak Brightness in the settings if you are watching SDR.
Also, you can try increasing OLED Light to increase the bright scene brightness.
Disable Dynamic Contrast too.
Black High to low helped a lot

·
Registered
213 Posts
Glad that it helped. :)

Take note, Black Level in all your picture settings should be set to low.

Apple TV 4K Box should already be outputting at RGB 16-235 which is why you should have your Black Level on the TV set to low (16-235) as well.

For the X1X, under Black Level settings, do not set it to Full but Limited instead. And as per normal, have the Black Level on the TV matched with Low.

TVs usually have a range of 16-235 as opposed to PC monitors that have 0-255. Thus why you will experience the black crush issue.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Glad that it helped. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

Apple TV 4K Box should already be outputting at RGB 16-235 which is why you should have your Black Level on the TV set to low (16-235) as well.

For the X1X, under Black Level settings, do not set it to Full but Limited instead. And as per normal, have the Black Level on the TV matched with Low.

TVs usually have a range of 16-235 as opposed to PC monitors that have 0-255. Thus why you will experience the black crush issue.
Shouldn’t you just leave everything on auto?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Maybe some didn't watch the whole event because we played content as well as test patterns. It was supposed to be an small demo where we just put the calibrated two sets side by side, look at some test patterns, Stacy Spear's disk, play some video's and discuss what we see. I'm glad we were able to conference in D-Nice as well to get his input and observations from his testing. I can tell you in person, the two sets were very hard to tell apart and i'm sure if we put the A9G next to them all three would look very close.
I'd like to add my thanks. I'm in the market for a 77-inch OLED, and the demo persuaded to buy a 77-inch Sony A8H. But since that model doesn't exist, I'm sticking with my plan to buy an LG CX.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I suspect SpareChange will come out with an edited video of the comparison and a follow up video discussion it.

I wonder what suspense is left for the HDTV shootout. John alluded to in an earlier post that much hasn't changed with the 2020 Samsung televisions. The last I heard there was going to be separate 4K and 8K shootouts but what's the point if there's no 8K content outside of compressed YouTube videos? Just throw in the Samsung 900T with the 4K OLED televisions. Will the 900T finally prevail over the 3 year old Sony Z9F?
8K shootout? Z series from Sony Z8H, Sony Z9G, LG ZX, Samsung Q950TS, maybe TCL vidrian or some other brand like that?

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I watched the A8H vs CX shootout, and I want to first thanks jrref (and d-nice special guest appearance) for putting it together. Most people were complaining about not watching actual content in the comments because they didnt want to look at test slides the whole time. I for one liked the technical aspect of it, I learned a ton, and feel I know much more about TVs now, and what goes into calibration, etc.

With all of that said, I gotta admit, the Sony kinda kicked our butts :)
HDMI 2.1 features and no 75+" offering are what had me not look that direction.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad that it helped. :)

This is good to know. I think I've always had mine set to auto. I assume this is for SDR and HDR content? Any idea why it is stuck on "auto" for the built in apps using isf Expert (Bright Room)?

4061 - 4080 of 8337 Posts