AVS Forum banner

4101 - 4120 of 8337 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Watching a little bit of regular cable directv to be exact (which i rarely do) today and I can definitely see the gen3 processor in effect. Picture is alot more clean without the nasty macroblocking banding contouring and nasty stuff associated with cable TV. I'm impressed so far

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Did you do anything special for low res content? When I play Nintendo switch it looks like crap

·
Registered
213 Posts
Shouldn’t you just leave everything on auto?
Actually, you’re supposed to leave it on AUTO.
That's the thing. Auto sometimes doesn't work especially if you connect your Xbox and PS4 and Apple TV 4K Box and Nvidia Shield and Blu-Ray player through the AVR.
The Picture Mode is shared between all of these devices because it is still coming from the HDMI 2 port (AVR). The AVR isn't smart enough to tell the TV that "Hey! The PS4 Pro has their RGB/Black Level set to Full you must too" to the TV.
I encountered this when I played my Blu-Ray and it was crushing the grey details in complete Black. Something that was not present when I watch the video on the PC monitor. In other words, the games were outputting correctly at Full Dynamic Range but... the Blu-Ray wasn't.

What you will end up having to do is constantly go into the TV Picture Mode and switch the Black level from Low to High ALL the time every time you switch contents on the same PS4 Pro. Let alone if you have to switch AVR inputs between the PS4 Pro to the Apple TV 4K Box that is already outputting at limited Black Level range. So you constantly have to switch back and forth. Because the AVR isn't telling the TV what the devices connected to the AVR is outputting.

Second thing. Even the picture calibration for the LG TVs, we are supposed to set the calibration range from 16-255. Yup. Not 0-255. So content using 0-255 might not look so good as even on the TV level, it was planned to do 16-235 in the first place.
I find Full Output Dynamic Range on the console or PC and Black Level high on the TV can lead to some weird banding too in some content. What you will end up happening will be to come to this forum and say how bad this TV is because there's banding when it is caused by your own doings on switching the setting to use something meant for PC monitors as opposed to TVs. :rolleyes:

So do yourself a favour, set it to low as mentioned, TVs have a Limited RGB Range of 16-235 as opposed to PC monitors designed with Full Output Dynamic Range in mind for Games. Once you set everything in your setup to Black Level low and Limited Output Dynamic Range on your other output devices, it will save you the trouble of you having to change any Picture Settings for every single device that you use.
A simple Google search too will tell you that many people recommend doing this manually too.

As quoted, even the 2 guys below has said it. Sometimes Auto just fails to recognize what the other device is outputting especially when you have an AVR in between the TV and the output devices that ends up stripping some of the information between the source and the TV that tells it how it is supposed to run. Notice how the newer AVRs can pass through ALLM but not VRR. Exactly. It drops that metadata from passing through and telling the TV when to sync with the GPU card for instance.

This is good to know. I think I've always had mine set to auto. I assume this is for SDR and HDR content? Any idea why it is stuck on "auto" for the built in apps using isf Expert (Bright Room)?
Auto is usually safe but sometimes it doesn’t recognize properly...for sanity I set ps4 and switch to rgb limited and tv to hdmi low to be sure

·
Registered
127 Posts
What are the chances the HDR black issues can be fixed by firmware and it’️s not a physical component problem? Also what are the chances that LG actually does fix it, since this seems to have been a problem for at least a couple generations of their OLEDs and they haven’️t cared. Why would they now?
When you calibrate the TV, it fixes this problem or improves it significantly. Yes LG is aware and we will get a fix for HDR and DV on the CX, that's certain. The big question is will there be a fix for the C9, no one knows for sure.
So I’ve read many reports this issue is for Apple 4ktv users. Is it only affecting Netflix On Apple TV or is it any Dolby vision including Blu-ray’s and other devices for streaming?

·
Registered
3 Posts
For anyone who doesn't want to check gray slides but wants to see if they tv is a banding mess or to see if any anomalies appear in actual content check out mindhunters season 1 episode 8 timestamp 47:10 thats one of the most brutal oled tests. Its like going into crystal lake at night!! You've been warned

Had a moment of weakness and decided to check, watched it on Netflix with Dolby Vision Cinema mode. Happy to report nothing but clean on this 77” CX. About 30hrs of varied content on the set so far.

I completely lost panel lottery on my last TV, looks like i might have got lucky this time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
For anyone who doesn't want to check gray slides but wants to see if they tv is a banding mess or to see if any anomalies appear in actual content check out mindhunters season 1 episode 8 timestamp 47:10 thats one of the most brutal oled tests. Its like going into crystal lake at night!! You've been warned

I checked this scene in the dark, and while I did see some light banding, it wasn’t that bad actually. Pretty happy with what showed, or should I say what didn’t lol. My panel is far from perfect, but I’m very happy considering some of the horror stories and pics I’ve seen in the screen uniformity thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yesterday's shootout was really interesting, so many thanks to all involved.

As impressive as the Sony was, however, I'm not sure it was the clear victor some people following online seemed to suggest. My takeaways around the CX's strengths were:

Higher full frame brightness (Sony higher speculation brightness)
More accurate post calibration. (Sony better out of the box)
Less flickery BFI. (Other Sony motion controls possibly better?)

That's not taking anything away from the Sony, but it's just to balance that there are always swings and roundabouts.

Making a judgement on picture quality via a live YouTube stream is not a great idea, and from what was being said in the room it seems any picture difference between the sets was a *lot* less apparent in person.

Then there's the random factor of panel variation, plus the fact that Sony's AI seems to be baked in whereas LG's was turned off.

i don't have a clear preference for any OLED manufacturer, but the fact that I'm looking at a 77" means I have no choice but LG. On the basis of this shootout, however, I don't think I'd be going wrong whether it was LG or Sony - which is great news for consumers.

Desk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi

Can someone explain what Dolby Vision IQ does?

I'm wondering if I need certain settings enabled for this feature to work, I turned of most processing and eco settings, so not sure if I may have disabled DV IQ without realising.

Do I need to enable a setting or does it just do its thing what ever that is!

Thanks

·
Registered
254 Posts
So I’ve read many reports this issue is for Apple 4ktv users. Is it only affecting Netflix On Apple TV or is it any Dolby vision including Blu-ray’s and other devices for streaming?
Maybe I’m lucky, but I haven’t noticed any real difference between the inbuilt Netflix app and the one on my Apple TV 4k, in fact if I had to choose, would say that the ATV looked fractionally better. Doubt I could pick it in a blind test though.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Hi

Can someone explain what Dolby Vision IQ does?
Already covered many times in the thread (please do a search), but very briefly it brighten darker areas of the picture when you're watching Dolby Vision content in a room which is far too bright, using the TV's light sensor to monitor the room combined with the TV's processing to identify which areas of the picture need to be boosted in the right way without damaging "artistic intent".

I'm wondering if I need certain settings enabled for this feature to work, I turned of most processing and eco settings, so not sure if I may have disabled DV IQ without realising.

Do I need to enable a setting or does it just do its thing what ever that is!
Yes you do need to enable a setting, but you also need to know Dolby Vision IQ only operates in Dolby Vision "Cinema Home" picture mode, and no other Picture Mode. Turn on "AI Brightness".

·
Registered
290 Posts
Already covered many times in the thread (please do a search), but very briefly it brighten darker areas of the picture when you're watching Dolby Vision content in a room which is far too bright, using the TV's light sensor to monitor the room combined with the TV's processing to identify which areas of the picture need to be boosted in the right way without damaging "artistic intent".

Yes you do need to enable a setting, but you also need to know Dolby Vision IQ only operates in Dolby Vision "Cinema Home" picture mode, and no other Picture Mode. Turn on "AI Brightness".
Thank you, I use Cinema so this want matter to me then.

By the way unless I'm doing something wrong the search function on this website is useless, when I type in something in search on "search this thread" I get a load of unrelated posts, I always search first before asking a question but I just can't seem to get what I'm looking for when I try.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Reactions: Sorax

·
Registered
30 Posts
Curious to see what results people have been getting with this gray to white uniformity test
. Did anyone actually manage to get no banding under 20%? I was getting obvious banding at all intervals up until 20% where it completely went away. I've had mine for two weeks and clocked in 50 hours so far. I understand that the results are likely to get better after the 200 hour mark but just curious what kind of results everyone else is getting

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Folks, for those who watched the VE CX vs A8H yesterday via the live stream, please be aware we didn't know that the LG looked slightly red on the stream. When I got home and looked at the stream I was shocked. In person, the two sets looked almost identical. We will have to figure out why that happened for next time. But I hope you enjoyed the commentary and the surprise visit by D-Nice. I tried to touch on all the subjects that have been discussed on this thread and it was good to bring in D-Nice to talk about his experience and testing as well.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow.... Ok, so most of this thread is over my head. I’m looking for a new Tv. I was looking at the C9 but am now or was considering the CX. I see so many people on here complaining about this and complaining about that... Eggs shapes on screens, banding whilst playing games etc etc etc. I spent a lot of money on Samsung Q90R 65 in before but sent it back. Wasn’t really impressed over my current Ju7000. Games looked pretty much the same??? HDR via online streaming from various providers was just too dark, no detail. No pop or wow factors.

So I’m looking at jumping ship to OLED. I’m not as keen to spend that kind of money on an OLED though as obviously OLED to me feel like unfinished tech or even a stop gap between LED and next gen tech. I don’t think OLED TVs will ever end up being the standard for TVs but my thinking is if I get an OLED it should last for at least a year hopefully if I don’t let the children use it and make sure I’m playing varied content and limiting my gaming sessions from everyday to every other day with less hours in each session. Ideally I would like a tv I can just use as I wish and not have to worry about my children (age 9 and 12) using it or anything else.

The question is if I get a C9 will I be happy with it in terms of PS4/PS5? I know I’ll have to limit my gaming sessions and plan to limit these to maybe an hour a session butI worry as I see people moaning about tearing and stuttering and stuff. I worry because the C9 specs don’t mention anything about LFC? I’ve looked everywhere and don’t see it mentioned anywhere. Some games I will want to play will be older games on the PS5 and capped at 30fps plus developers have already mentions some new games will run around 30fps also? I just want to be covered and don’t want to be having any issues in the future. Can someone please help? Please excuse my ignorance I’m no expert.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Curious to see what results people have been getting with this gray to white uniformity test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIJxh9UGyak&t=50s. Did anyone actually manage to get no banding under 20%? I was getting obvious banding at all intervals up until 20% where it completely went away. I've had mine for two weeks and clocked in 50 hours so far. I understand that the results are likely to get better after the 200 hour mark but just curious what kind of results everyone else is getting
All the CXs I've looked at so far have some screen retention from the factory so you need to either put time on the set or do a pixel refresh to clear this. Very normal. I'm personally finding the set looks better after 200 hours.

·
Registered
592 Posts
In the rtings early access, there is a comment from Adam Babcock from rtings that says the cx/c9 panels/pixel substructure are identical and the pics from this thread are likely just the angle they were taken at? Confused?

"This is most likely just due to a slightly different position of the camera. The panels and subpixels are identical between the C9 and CX."

·
Registered
143 Posts
The question is if I get a C9 will I be happy with it in terms of PS4/PS5? I know I’ll have to limit my gaming sessions and plan to limit these to maybe an hour a session butI worry as I see people moaning about tearing and stuttering and stuff. I worry because the C9 specs don’t mention anything about LFC? I’ve looked everywhere and don’t see it mentioned anywhere. Some games I will want to play will be older games on the PS5 and capped at 30fps plus developers have already mentions some new games will run around 30fps also? I just want to be covered and don’t want to be having any issues in the future. Can someone please help? Please excuse my ignorance I’m no expert.
Yes you will be happy i think. I'm and i had the Q9FN and other Sony LED TVs. I'm playing with my PC and PS4 Pro.

Games capped at 30 FPS will not look better with LFC, where does this coming from? FOMO on youtube? Did you use "game motion plus" on your Samsung? Maybe thats something you will miss. I did not, actually i hated it, PWM 120Hz flickering crap and motion duplicates like hell ruined everything for me on Samsung QLED.

C9 is the best gaming-display for me, could not be happier.

4101 - 4120 of 8337 Posts