AVS Forum banner

4121 - 4140 of 8337 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Regarding the black level low vs auto, I messed around with it a bit last night and I did find that I had a few devices, mainly my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch that was washing out colors and elevating black levels when the CX is set to "auto". These are devices that are connected directly to my CX, not run through an AVR or anything.

Edit: Looks like setting it to low was actually crushing blacks some as pointed out by Icespide so disregard my comments above.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Wow.... Ok, so most of this thread is over my head. I’m looking for a new Tv. I was looking at the C9 but am now or was considering the CX. I see so many people on here complaining about this and complaining about that... Eggs shapes on screens, banding whilst playing games etc etc etc. I spent a lot of money on Samsung Q90R 65 in before but sent it back. Wasn’t really impressed over my current Ju7000. Games looked pretty much the same??? HDR via online streaming from various providers was just too dark, no detail. No pop or wow factors.

So I’m looking at jumping ship to OLED. I’m not as keen to spend that kind of money on an OLED though as obviously OLED to me feel like unfinished tech or even a stop gap between LED and next gen tech. I don’t think OLED TVs will ever end up being the standard for TVs but my thinking is if I get an OLED it should last for at least a year hopefully if I don’t let the children use it and make sure I’m playing varied content and limiting my gaming sessions from everyday to every other day with less hours in each session. Ideally I would like a tv I can just use as I wish and not have to worry about my children (age 9 and 12) using it or anything else.

The question is if I get a C9 will I be happy with it in terms of PS4/PS5? I know I’ll have to limit my gaming sessions and plan to limit these to maybe an hour a session butI worry as I see people moaning about tearing and stuttering and stuff. I worry because the C9 specs don’t mention anything about LFC? I’ve looked everywhere and don’t see it mentioned anywhere. Some games I will want to play will be older games on the PS5 and capped at 30fps plus developers have already mentions some new games will run around 30fps also? I just want to be covered and don’t want to be having any issues in the future. Can someone please help? Please excuse my ignorance I’m no expert.
If things look the same between your q90r and ju7000 and hdr doesn't pop on the q90r then there's sth seriously wrong on your end. You should have kept the q90r and figure out what's the cause first before jumping ship to oled. Each tech has pros and cons. Oled has tons of problems but at the moment it is the only tech that does look consistently great most of time. Can't wait for the next big thing, hopefully microled but I won't hold my breath.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
did they explain in yesterday's Shootout video why the LG's built-in apps offer better image quality versus the standalone apps via ATV etc?...the technical details behind it

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
did they explain in yesterday's Shootout video why the LG's built-in apps offer better image quality versus the standalone apps via ATV etc?...the technical details behind it
There is likely an output issue from the external device. I have used a signal analyzer on many common devices like Xbox, PS4, fireTV, Chromecast, etc. The output properties of each device is different and can effect how the content looks. I have not tested the AppleTV as I refuse to buy their products, but I assume it will be the same issue as the others.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Regarding the black level low vs auto, I messed around with it a bit last night and I did find that I had a few devices, mainly my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch that was washing out colors and elevating black levels when the CX is set to "auto". These are devices that are connected directly to my CX, not run through an AVR or anything.
Which games on ps4 pro? And r u referring to sdr games?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Wow.... Ok, so most of this thread is over my head. I’m looking for a new Tv. I was looking at the C9 but am now or was considering the CX. I see so many people on here complaining about this and complaining about that... Eggs shapes on screens, banding whilst playing games etc etc etc. I spent a lot of money on Samsung Q90R 65 in before but sent it back. Wasn’t really impressed over my current Ju7000. Games looked pretty much the same??? HDR via online streaming from various providers was just too dark, no detail. No pop or wow factors.

So I’m looking at jumping ship to OLED. I’m not as keen to spend that kind of money on an OLED though as obviously OLED to me feel like unfinished tech or even a stop gap between LED and next gen tech. I don’t think OLED TVs will ever end up being the standard for TVs but my thinking is if I get an OLED it should last for at least a year hopefully if I don’t let the children use it and make sure I’m playing varied content and limiting my gaming sessions from everyday to every other day with less hours in each session. Ideally I would like a tv I can just use as I wish and not have to worry about my children (age 9 and 12) using it or anything else.

The question is if I get a C9 will I be happy with it in terms of PS4/PS5? I know I’ll have to limit my gaming sessions and plan to limit these to maybe an hour a session butI worry as I see people moaning about tearing and stuttering and stuff. I worry because the C9 specs don’t mention anything about LFC? I’ve looked everywhere and don’t see it mentioned anywhere. Some games I will want to play will be older games on the PS5 and capped at 30fps plus developers have already mentions some new games will run around 30fps also? I just want to be covered and don’t want to be having any issues in the future. Can someone please help? Please excuse my ignorance I’m no expert.
If things look the same between your q90r and ju7000 and hdr doesn't pop on the q90r then there's sth seriously wrong on your end. You should have kept the q90r and figure out what's the cause first before jumping ship to oled. Each tech has pros and cons. Oled has tons of problems but at the moment it is the only tech that does look consistently great most of time. Can't wait for the next big thing, hopefully microled but I won't hold my breath.
Should I go back to the Q90R then? I loved it when watching SDR content 4K was nice to. As long I steered clear of anything encoded with HDR I was happy. Anytime input on a HDR movie it was just too dark. Tired all the settings under the sun but could not ever get it looking as good as 4K SDR. Plus gaming wasn’t great on it. It was like wow or anything like that. I’m running a 6 year old 40inch LG LCD Upstairs in my bedroom and to be honest and when playing fortnite I can’t see much difference apart from it was a little darker on the Q90R. I’m torn between OLED and LED and the LG OLEDS look good as a stop gap as I can’t see any decent LED TVs on the market right now. The new Samsung 90T is meant to be worse then the Q90R and the Q90R was poor so I can count that out. I want an OLED just worried coz of their flacky technology.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
There is likely an output issue from the external device. I have used a signal analyzer on many common devices like Xbox, PS4, fireTV, Chromecast, etc. The output properties of each device is different and can effect how the content looks. I have not tested the AppleTV as I refuse to buy their products, but I assume it will be the same issue as the others.
so it's not limited to LG and all built-in apps from every manufacturer will have superior image quality versus external devices?...so it's not about LG having any specific internal optimizations related to the processor etc?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
so it's not limited to LG and all built-in apps from every manufacturer will have superior image quality versus external devices?...so it's not about LG having any specific internal optimizations related to the processor etc?
I wouldn't go as far to make such a blanket statement, but it is possible that most consumer grade external devices are not outputting the content with 100% accuracy. The benefits of using internal apps eliminates this as a possible issue as the TV is responsible for the processing and output.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Anyone using a sound bar with their CX? I know avr system > sound bar, but for budget and room size reasons, I am going with a sound bar...any recommendations? Looking for one with a sub...thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts
I recently calibrated a Q900t and it has the same "Samsung" PQ, nothing different, doesn't compare to OLED unless you have a very bright room.
hi john, have you put down your thoughts on the q900t anywhere? would love to read a little bit more about what you think about this set. i'm still undecided between a gx and q950ts. what you've written here is perhaps the worst i've read about the new samsung set. most new owners seem to find start improvements (at least in hdr) over their oleds.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Which games on ps4 pro? And r u referring to sdr games?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
It's been stuff in SDR that I noticed it. I noticed it on both systems at both the dashboard in SDR and in SDR games. Both of consoles have their system wide color settings set to auto as opposed to full or limited so I imagine that would be another way to fix it. Either way having both the tv and console set to auto was messing with the colors in a noticeable way.

·
Registered
249 Posts
In the rtings early access, there is a comment from Adam Babcock from rtings that says the cx/c9 panels/pixel substructure are identical and the pics from this thread are likely just the angle they were taken at? Confused?

"This is most likely just due to a slightly different position of the camera. The panels and subpixels are identical between the C9 and CX."
I moved the thread from here to the Advanced board. Background is here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/681125-oled-tvs-technology-advancements-thread-551.html#post59661202

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are you sure they were washing out and your new settings aren’t crushing blacks? I have the same devices directly connected to the tv with everything set to auto (CX, PS4, switch) and it all looks correct.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Are you sure they were washing out and your new settings aren’t crushing blacks? I have the same devices directly connected to the tv with everything set to auto (CX, PS4, switch) and it all looks correct.
On the PS4 Pro I just retested and it looks like it was crushing blacks some actually so good catch on that. With the Switch I honestly can't tell. Do you have your Switch RGB range set to auto on yours? I guess for the time being I'm setting everything back to auto because that's how I had it set for years on my C8 and can't say I ever noticed any issues with colors ever.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Are you sure they were washing out and your new settings aren’️t crushing blacks? I have the same devices directly connected to the tv with everything set to auto (CX, PS4, switch) and it all looks correct.
On the PS4 Pro I just retested and it looks like it was crushing blacks some actually so good catch on that. With the Switch I honestly can't tell. Do you have your Switch RGB range set to auto on yours? I guess for the time being I'm setting everything back to auto because that's how I had it set for years on my C8 and can't say I ever noticed any issues with colors ever.
Yup switch is auto. I’ve got everything set to auto

·
Registered
40 Posts
so does anyone have any tips for improving picture on low res content like a nintendo switch? my CX replaced a Sony 930e and I definitely notice the downgrade in upscaling. the switch is the only source where I need to worry about it
Looking for this as well. On my 65" QLED from 2018, the switch games that actually ran at 1080p looked amazing (so much so, that when I first got the TV, I thought I was too far away from it to differentiate 1080p and 4k). I've tried various settings with the CX, and you can very clearly see the edges (Aliasing) and texture flickering :(

·
Registered
40 Posts
Does the e-arc in CX model work? Will this work with a "future proof" receiver lke a denon 4500 avr, when i will buy a ps5 later this year?
Everything except multi-channel PCM is working for me through eARC. If you have a Nintendo Switch (which only does PCM) or play PC games without Dolby Atmos (which also do PCM), you will not get more than 2 channels. You can edit the TV's EDID using CRU on PC.

Some forum users say multi-channel PCM was fixed with firmware 03.00.45, but it didn't for me. I tried many settings and connection/turning-deviced-ON order on 03.00.45 before updating to 03.00.60, and with neither of them I get MC-PCM through eARC.

·
Vendor
26,593 Posts
I checked this scene in the dark, and while I did see some light banding, it wasn’t that bad actually. Pretty happy with what showed, or should I say what didn’t lol. My panel is far from perfect, but I’m very happy considering some of the horror stories and pics I’ve seen in the screen uniformity thread.
Sometimes the battle is not worth the fight, they say......

·
Registered
40 Posts
a brand new processor is great but that in itself doesn't guarantee substantial improvements...I'm sure the new models are better overall then last year but in terms of value is there that much of a difference that would make someone buy the CX vs the C9 or even the new Sony OLED
I know most people here might hate motion interpolation, but after having three models of C9 for a month, and finally upgrading to a CX, I can say the most noticeable difference for me regarding the processor was the motion interpolation. Artifacts and stutter are VERY reduced in scenes with a lot of motion or overlay text (e.g. Final Fantasy 7 Remake on PS4 Pro has very, very little "noise" when Tru Motion is set to max in the CX. Artifacts and stutter were more commonly present in the C9).

·
Registered
592 Posts
welp, best buy is delivering my cx replacement thursday and taking my current cx back...guess im playing the lotto smh...

The banding was too distracting and i paid alot for the 65 and should be happy...cross fingers and toes

4121 - 4140 of 8337 Posts