AVS Forum banner

4141 - 4160 of 8337 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Folks, for those who watched the VE CX vs A8H yesterday via the live stream, please be aware we didn't know that the LG looked slightly red on the stream. When I got home and looked at the stream I was shocked. In person, the two sets looked almost identical. We will have to figure out why that happened for next time. But I hope you enjoyed the commentary and the surprise visit by D-Nice. I tried to touch on all the subjects that have been discussed on this thread and it was good to bring in D-Nice to talk about his experience and testing as well.
hi John which WP or AWP was used in the shootout for Sony and LG because the red one at LG is really hard to miss?

·
Registered
17,803 Posts
Yesterday's shootout was really interesting, so many thanks to all involved.

As impressive as the Sony was, however, I'm not sure it was the clear victor some people following online seemed to suggest. My takeaways around the CX's strengths were:

Higher full frame brightness (Sony higher speculation brightness)
More accurate post calibration. (Sony better out of the box)
Less flickery BFI. (Other Sony motion controls possibly better?)

That's not taking anything away from the Sony, but it's just to balance that there are always swings and roundabouts.

Making a judgement on picture quality via a live YouTube stream is not a great idea, and from what was being said in the room it seems any picture difference between the sets was a *lot* less apparent in person.

Then there's the random factor of panel variation, plus the fact that Sony's AI seems to be baked in whereas LG's was turned off.

i don't have a clear preference for any OLED manufacturer, but the fact that I'm looking at a 77" means I have no choice but LG. On the basis of this shootout, however, I don't think I'd be going wrong whether it was LG or Sony - which is great news for consumers.

Desk
Sony does not have AI. Are you referring to tone mapping?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't know if many are disappointed with LG, but I'm rather positively surprised at how far LG has overtaken everyone in some things. I switched from Sony AF9 to LG C9 and I'm much more impressed by C9 than by Sony

·
Registered
40 Posts
welp, best buy is delivering my cx replacement thursday and taking my current cx back...guess im playing the lotto smh...

The banding was too distracting and i paid alot for the 65 and should be happy...cross fingers and toes
I've had good experiences with Best Buy, so I hope you do too. They brought me three C9's with unbearable coil whine coming from the PSU during bright and colorful scenes, and they let me upgrade to the CX more than a month after I first bought the C9. Fortunately this CX has absolutely no coil whine. Crossing my fingers for you too

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
are there any rumors where the CX will differentiate itself from the C9 eventually. I'm a PC gamer, just ordered a 77C9 from VE but it failed final QC. I have an opportunity to get a CX (granted for more $). I have an AVR so DTS doesn't matter. I'm going to get an HDMI 2.1 video card when they come out (likely nVidia but could be AMD).

I like the idea of a newer set for firmware purposes but it seems that the CX may have some bugs that the C9 doesn't have.
So any suggestions? It's $500 more for the CX which isn't going to kill me 4k vs 4.5k is not a huge difference relative to a 5 year purchase.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Anyone using a sound bar with their CX? I know avr system > sound bar, but for budget and room size reasons, I am going with a sound bar...any recommendations? Looking for one with a sub...thanks
I’m using the Sony HT-Z9F soundbar with the rear wireless speakers Sony Z9R that go with it but are sold separately. It’s a great all around Dolby Atmos soundbar and the Z9R wireless speakers were made specifically to pai with this soundbar. It does a great job for a decent price.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
are there any rumors where the CX will differentiate itself from the C9 eventually. I'm a PC gamer, just ordered a 77C9 from VE but it failed final QC. I have an opportunity to get a CX (granted for more $). I have an AVR so DTS doesn't matter. I'm going to get an HDMI 2.1 video card when they come out (likely nVidia but could be AMD).

I like the idea of a newer set for firmware purposes but it seems that the CX may have some bugs that the C9 doesn't have.
So any suggestions? It's $500 more for the CX which isn't going to kill me 4k vs 4.5k is not a huge difference relative to a 5 year purchase.
What bugs?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Reactions: Jakob D.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I’m using the Sony HT-Z9F soundbar with the rear wireless speakers Sony Z9R that go with it but are sold separately. It’s a great all around Dolby Atmos soundbar and the Z9R wireless speakers were made specifically to pai with this soundbar. It does a great job for a decent price.
Thnaks, that was one I was actually looking at. Also the samsung q70r, and the lg sn8y

·
Registered
488 Posts
Curious to see what results people have been getting with this gray to white uniformity test https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIJxh9UGyak&t=50s. Did anyone actually manage to get no banding under 20%? I was getting obvious banding at all intervals up until 20% where it completely went away. I've had mine for two weeks and clocked in 50 hours so far. I understand that the results are likely to get better after the 200 hour mark but just curious what kind of results everyone else is getting
What's "banding"? ;)

To answer your question - yes. (Down through 5% on my 65 C9).

Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
watched a bit more of the mini-Shootout where they were talking about the raised blacks during HDR/DV content on the LG OLED...it was mentioned happening on 2018/2019 models as well...what about the 2017 sets (I have the 2017 C7)?...was it ever fixed with a firmware update on the 2018/2019 models?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Has anyone a good solution for ambi lighting behind the GX? I tried an easy method, quickly put my Philips Hue light strip behind, just lay it around. Looked atrocious, dots all around the wall. Seemingly as it's too close. Any tried and tested solutions yet with how close the GX is to the wall?

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
In the rtings early access, there is a comment from Adam Babcock from rtings that says the cx/c9 panels/pixel substructure are identical and the pics from this thread are likely just the angle they were taken at? Confused?

"This is most likely just due to a slightly different position of the camera. The panels and subpixels are identical between the C9 and CX."
Having to judge them from such appalling mess of pictures doesn't help. R-Tings should get a £$10 jeweller's loupe and it's trivial to take pin-sharp images and back up what they are claiming. The quality of some of the posted images (sorry, not having a go at you in particular) is diabolical.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
watched a bit more of the mini-Shootout where they were talking about the raised blacks during HDR/DV content on the LG OLED...it was mentioned happening on 2018/2019 models as well...what about the 2017 sets (I have the 2017 C7)?...was it ever fixed with a firmware update on the 2018/2019 models?
I already discussed the likely reason for this.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm disappointed with lg vip.
They approved to buy back my c6 and told me they will email me a shipping label within 2 days.
It's been 2 weeks now. Called them again yesterday same lady picked up and sounded asleep, she said she will email it right away. Still nothing.
A guy i spoke to from lg vip few days ago said they have an option where they send someone to pick up the tv but the lady that's in charge in my case doesnt give me that option. She also approved 50% depreciation after they get my tv back compared to the first guy i talked to who told me it should be 30% depreciation.

·
Registered
488 Posts
So I’m looking at jumping ship to OLED. I’m not as keen to spend that kind of money on an OLED though as obviously OLED to me feel like unfinished tech or even a stop gap between LED and next gen tech. I don’t think OLED TVs will ever end up being the standard for TVs .
My "ignorance" then is complete unabashed BLISS.

These LG OLEDs are as close to perfect as I have ever gotten and I owned the Panasonic VT60 plasma, the last and greatest plasma ever made next to the Kuro.

In fact, I love this tv so much, I cringe at the thought of the industry "deciding" that the next tech is more cost effective and brighter, so therefore . . . "better". The "bottom" line too often is cost and what joe consumer perceives is the best.

CONTRAST: Absolute black with dark/grey area detail.
BRIGHTNESS: No more dingy plasma tv.
COLOR: Absolutely unreal. As my set breaks in, it gets better and better. Never seen anything so rich and yet natural.
UNIFORMITY: Yes, people are dealing with banding, but no clouding, no flashlighting etc. Great off angle uniformity as well.
CADENCE: Very film like and natural. Yes there is judder/studder but it is minimal for me and I'm used to the non-clear motion of 24p film. So a perfectly clear motion has NEVER been the norm for me. But I realize people want to drop 24p for similar reasons. (60fps nature videos are very fluid - unreal!)

But yes, this "stop gap tv" will carry you through "the year" until a real darn good tv comes along.:D

To each their own. It's just that for me, this tv is a literal technological "OASIS" for this VERY weary traveller arriving from the distant land of LED in the province of Samsung. I'm finally "home".

Your "journey" obviously isn't over. Press on friend. Press on.:)

4141 - 4160 of 8337 Posts