AVS Forum banner

4421 - 4440 of 8667 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Am I crazy or does the Vivid on the CX/GX actually look quite nice? Must admit I like a bit of pop in the image so I am not a picture purist but still don't want that unrealistic Samsung look.
What value does Vivid set the OLED light to?

And no, no it does not make you crazy. You spent the money and don't need Joe Blogs on an Internet forum to tell you what looks best to your eyes.

My only concern with Vivid is if it sets the OLED light quite high and as a result risks burn-in more so.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Am I crazy or does the Vivid on the CX/GX actually look quite nice? Must admit I like a bit of pop in the image so I am not a picture purist but still don't want that unrealistic Samsung look.
No. It completely destroys accuracy. On my unit it also causes colors to band. Saturation levels are skewed while the color temperature is pushed into a very cool tone. Any other picture mode would be more accurate.

Vivid mode only exists to attract people that don't understand what to look for. Kind of like a big bug zapper. Oh the lights are so pretty.... ZZAAPP! That's how they get you. Most TV's in the showroom use this mode to fight one another. Whoever produces the most blown out picture usually wins by attracting the most unsuspecting customers.

If you care about accuracy or want to retrain your eyes to what is much closer to accurate then use the ISF, Cinema, or Filmmaker modes.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I discovered on the 2020 LGs Dolby Vision Cinema Home PM is implemented differently than on any previous LG. The previous LGs in this PM never followed PQ because the intent was to make the picture brighter and this is the way it was implemented. On the 2020 LGs once calibrated, Cinema Home follows the PQ curve. At first i thought there was a bug but in talking to LG they say that's the way it's supposed to calibrate. So on the 2020 LGs, DV Cinema Home is the DV IQ PM and when in this PM the TV will adjust the brightness and tone mapping accordingly depending on the light sensor. DV Cinema follows PQ but with out the dynamic adjustments. Although Peak Brightness is the same in both PMs, in DV IQ in a bright room you can see how it changes the tone mapping so you can see more near black detail that would otherwise not be visible. It works pretty well in my opinion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Even though the CX doesn't have LFC, does it have something else that is comparable to it? (For console games that is).
I can buy a 65 CX for 250 euro's more than a 65 C9 so I'm looking for reasons on why I should pay that premium.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I discovered on the 2020 LGs Dolby Vision Cinema Home PM is implemented differently than on any previous LG. The previous LGs in this PM never followed PQ because the intent was to make the picture brighter and this is the way it was implemented. On the 2020 LGs once calibrated, Cinema Home follows the PQ curve. At first i thought there was a bug but in talking to LG they say that's the way it's supposed to calibrate. So on the 2020 LGs, DV Cinema Home is the DV IQ PM and when in this PM the TV will adjust the brightness and tone mapping accordingly depending on the light sensor. DV Cinema follows PQ but with out the dynamic adjustments. Although Peak Brightness is the same in both PMs, in DV IQ in a bright room you can see how it changes the tone mapping so you can see more near black detail that would otherwise not be visible. It works pretty well in my opinion.
Interesting, someone mentioned it to me but can't remember the name of the setting think it was the following, for this to work and DV IQ do you need Ai brightness control enabled?

I think I will stick to cinema user still though as i watch in a dark room most of the time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
"Oh that smelly smelly smell that smells!":D

(I'll never forget that post of yours my friend. Hopefully I'm not "paraphrasing" too much.)

Hah, I'm glad someone remembered it.

I was worried initially about it, but I didn't want to go through the hassle of replacing the set so I've just been dealing with it... and keeping an open window :D

·
Registered
488 Posts
No. It completely destroys accuracy. On my unit it also causes colors to band. Saturation levels are skewed while the color temperature is pushed into a very cool tone. Any other picture mode would be more accurate.

Vivid mode only exists to attract people that don't understand what to look for. Kind of like a big bug zapper. Oh the lights are so pretty.... ZZAAPP! That's how they get you. Most TV's in the showroom use this mode to fight one another. Whoever produces the most blown out picture usually wins by attracting the most unsuspecting customers.

If you care about accuracy or want to retrain your eyes to what is much closer to accurate then use the ISF, Cinema, or Filmmaker modes.
In short - S.A.M.S.U.N.G.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any content with low frame rate to compensate the unavoidable stutter, as described here in the thread for the 2019 models.

Ahh, this make more sense to me now.

I was playing the Last of Us Remastered on my PS4 Pro this morning @ 60FPS mode, and I decided to try BFI. I noticed no change whatsoever other than the screen became darker.

Will try the game in 30FPS mode and turn BFI back on to see what difference it makes.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Anyone with a GX have the feet on it and can measure for the 65 inch how tall the screen is above the TV stand? Trying to figure out if a Atmos arc could sit underneath the TV without obstructing the screen. I think the arc is 3.5” tall
Per LG

TV Dimensions with Stand (WxHxD): 56.9" x 35" x 11.2"
TV Dimensions without Stand (WxHxD): 56.9" x 32.7" x 0.8"

So a difference of 2.3 inches. I'm not sure if they're taking the IR sensor into account that sticks out a bit at the bottom. I already know what cherry wood boards I would order if I got the GX.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm also not a picture purist, and I think Vivid looks quite nice. I once read a comment from a "purist" saying you should bring the OLED-light setting value down so that the peak brightness matches the ~50 nits you get at the movie theater :confused:

Sometimes, "accurate" or "as it was intended to be watched by the film maker" doesn't look that great to some people.

The only arguably "objective" benefit from Vivid is that the auto brightness during bright scenes (ABL) is drastically reduced. So if you know what that is and you find that distracting or annoying, Vivid is the way to go.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm not surprised. I would be absolutely LIVID. That's vandalism, pure and simple.

LG manufactures an extremely delicate and patented coating to reflect/absorb light in a particular way, and so do Sony and Samsung. There are pages and pages of warnings, not to touch it, only to clean with a very light touch and distilled water, etc. The plastic sheet is there to protect it, as it is so delicate, so that it is less likely to be damaged.

All my TVs have had the Energy rating sticker on top of the plastic "peel me off" sticker, thankfully.

All of that is blown to pieces if some ham-fisted retailer does that. I'm surprised some people haven't sued. Don't you lot love suing at the drop of a hat? ;) (joke)
I was slightly baffled that the yellow sticker was under the clear plastic as well (mine was like this also) and then it turned to being a little livid. I removed that sticker with extreme care and then inspected that area with a bright light to make sure there was no defect caused by the sticker being right on the screen. Luckily, nothing was wrong, but that is besides the point.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I was slightly baffled that the yellow sticker was under the clear plastic as well (mine was like this also) and then it turned to being a little livid. I removed that sticker with extreme care and then inspected that area with a bright light to make sure there was no defect caused by the sticker being right on the screen. Luckily, nothing was wrong, but that is besides the point.
LMAO, i turned the lights off and used my phone flashlight to do the same

Reactions: RavenBF

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any reputable reviews out there yet besides RTINGS?

Also, did any of the pros confirm that doing a pixel refresh can possibly increase the peak brightness? That one issue has a chance to give everyone a reason to discard parts of the RTINGS review.

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
My TV was still under warranty so I guess I probably would have been on my own otherwise.
My C7 is about to get a panel replacement (burn in) and while waiting I've been thinking about whether it's time for a new one.
Nice to see they are taking care of burn in in other countries as well. LG is covering more and more cases of burn in far after the warranty is up as well........ >

·
Registered
73 Posts
I was able to test a CX today, what I noticed is that the OS surface runs more smoothly than the C9, but with the trumotion there are many more artifacts in the CX that catch the eye, which is less aggressive on the C9. In addition, the panel was very clean with the gray and I saw no VB. Image quality is roughly on par with C9

·
Registered
772 Posts

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Any reputable reviews out there yet besides RTINGS?
Any day now. Vincent Teoh of hdtvtest did an "unboxing" video a few weeks ago and said he'd be working on a full review over the next couple of weeks. So his review will be out very soon I would expect.

However, the way you've worded that implies that you think that R-Tings has done a reputable review. I'm sorry but I'm forced to disagree with you on that one. Reputable yes, review - not really. To me, and this is just my opinion, what R-Tings have written is more of a just a dump of stats with a few sentences of commentary sprinkled in than an actual review. As I said the other day, they could have cut and pasted their 2018 and 2019 "reviews" and I couldn't tell the difference, and they didn't measure the most significant thing people have been concerned with since the near-black chroma overshoot problem was discovered on the 2018 panels (which was not present on the 2017 panels). Ie, the 0%-5% response time. Instead, they've just measured the same 0%-20% response time they always do, which still shows the problem but which doesn't test it in enough detail.

Also, did any of the pros confirm that doing a pixel refresh can possibly increase the peak brightness? That one issue has a chance to give everyone a reason to discard parts of the RTINGS review.
Not sure what you mean about people having reasons to discount what R-Tings have written there. It's widely known all over this forum, for every OLED model year not just 2020, that the panel will settle and change a lot over the first 200 hours and also forcing a "pixel refresh" can help sometimes these things out of the box. None of this is new information so seeking an extra confirmation for 2020 simply isn't necessary.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Setup new 65"CX last night. Connected through Denon 8500 using eArc. Was working fine but today only get sound from cable no picture and screen says change input which did not work. I switched to HDMI 1 and now it works.
Why would there be an issue with eArc HDMI 2?

4421 - 4440 of 8667 Posts