AVS Forum banner

4441 - 4460 of 8667 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I discovered on the 2020 LGs Dolby Vision Cinema Home PM is implemented differently than on any previous LG. The previous LGs in this PM never followed PQ because the intent was to make the picture brighter and this is the way it was implemented. On the 2020 LGs once calibrated, Cinema Home follows the PQ curve. At first i thought there was a bug but in talking to LG they say that's the way it's supposed to calibrate. So on the 2020 LGs, DV Cinema Home is the DV IQ PM and when in this PM the TV will adjust the brightness and tone mapping accordingly depending on the light sensor. DV Cinema follows PQ but with out the dynamic adjustments. Although Peak Brightness is the same in both PMs, in DV IQ in a bright room you can see how it changes the tone mapping so you can see more near black detail that would otherwise not be visible. It works pretty well in my opinion.
do you have to have AI brightness turned on for this to work?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any day now. Vincent Teoh of hdtvtest did an "unboxing" video a few weeks ago and said he'd be working on a full review over the next couple of weeks. So his review will be out very soon I would expect.

However, the way you've worded that implies that you think that R-Tings has done a reputable review. I'm sorry but I'm forced to disagree with you on that one. Reputable yes, review - not really. To me, and this is just my opinion, what R-Tings have written is more of a just a dump of stats with a few sentences of commentary sprinkled in than an actual review. As I said the other day, they could have cut and pasted their 2018 and 2019 "reviews" and I couldn't tell the difference, and they didn't measure the most significant thing people have been concerned with since the near-black chroma overshoot problem was discovered on the 2018 panels (which was not present on the 2017 panels). Ie, the 0%-5% response time. Instead, they've just measured the same 0%-20% response time they always do, which still shows the problem but which doesn't test it in enough detail.

Not sure what you mean about people having reasons to discount what R-Tings have written there. It's widely known all over this forum, for every OLED model year not just 2020, that the panel will settle and change a lot over the first 200 hours and also forcing a "pixel refresh" can help sometimes these things out of the box. None of this is new information so seeking an extra confirmation for 2020 simply isn't necessary.
Thanks for the reply. I was specifically referencing the posts a few pages back that indicated a pixel refresh took the peak brightness from 680 nits to 730 nits. Part of the RTINGS "review" that stood out was "lower" peak brightness on the CX which really could give a lot of people pause when deciding between the C9 & CX. So, my thought process when I asked that question was whether there really is a peak brightness on the CX lower than the C9 and also whether or not we have a sample size issue. Hence, I'd love more reviews.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi - I just purchased a 65" GX. I'm having it professionally mounted next week. I'm looking at my wall and nervous that the outlet may protrude from the wall a little too much making it not a flush wall mount. Can anyone who has this TV comment on whether you think this would be problematic? Also wondering if the the outlet will create an issue once the power cable is plugged into it. Not sure how the TV could mount flush with the wall.

Photos below

Thanks for the help

Attachments

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was specifically referencing the posts a few pages back that indicated a pixel refresh took the peak brightness from 680 nits to 730 nits. Part of the RTINGS "review" that stood out was "lower" peak brightness on the CX which really could give a lot of people pause when deciding between the C9 & CX. So, my thought process when I asked that question was whether there really is a peak brightness on the CX lower than the C9 and also whether or not we have a sample size issue. Hence, I'd love more reviews.
Right, make sense. I wouldn't rush out and buy anything until there were plenty of reviews anyway, it pays to be patient :). Ideally those reviews would say "I put 200 hours on the panel and then I did a pixel refresh and then I calibrated it". In the absence of those clear statements, we'll have to wait a couple of months until enough enthusiasts with calibration equipment can do the same and then we'll have a much better idea. But there's no indication of a substantial drop in peak brightness when calibrated, compared with a 2019 model when calibrated.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I discovered on the 2020 LGs Dolby Vision Cinema Home PM is implemented differently than on any previous LG. The previous LGs in this PM never followed PQ because the intent was to make the picture brighter and this is the way it was implemented. On the 2020 LGs once calibrated, Cinema Home follows the PQ curve. At first i thought there was a bug but in talking to LG they say that's the way it's supposed to calibrate. So on the 2020 LGs, DV Cinema Home is the DV IQ PM and when in this PM the TV will adjust the brightness and tone mapping accordingly depending on the light sensor. DV Cinema follows PQ but with out the dynamic adjustments. Although Peak Brightness is the same in both PMs, in DV IQ in a bright room you can see how it changes the tone mapping so you can see more near black detail that would otherwise not be visible. It works pretty well in my opinion.
Will the pq be accurate if u use dolby iq wit dolby home uncalibrated? Or its only going the accurate route if dolby home is calibrated? Thats interesting to me

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Will the pq be accurate if u use dolby iq wit dolby home uncalibrated? Or its only going the accurate route if dolby home is calibrated? Thats interesting to me

It will be as accurate as the OOTB calibration from the factory.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
It will be as accurate as the OOTB calibration from the factory.
One last question. I'm not calibrated yet but which one is the most accurate to use dolby cinema or dolby cinema home wit dolby iq? Which would u use ?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
One last question. I'm not calibrated yet but which one is the most accurate to use dolby cinema or dolby cinema home wit dolby iq? Which would u use ?

They both follow PQ but DV Cinema Home will deviate as the room gets brighter so it just depends on your room lighting and what you prefer.

·
Registered
473 Posts
No. It completely destroys accuracy. On my unit it also causes colors to band. Saturation levels are skewed while the color temperature is pushed into a very cool tone. Any other picture mode would be more accurate.

Vivid mode only exists to attract people that don't understand what to look for. Kind of like a big bug zapper. Oh the lights are so pretty.... ZZAAPP! That's how they get you. Most TV's in the showroom use this mode to fight one another. Whoever produces the most blown out picture usually wins by attracting the most unsuspecting customers.

If you care about accuracy or want to retrain your eyes to what is much closer to accurate then use the ISF, Cinema, or Filmmaker modes.
What people like and don't like is up to them. My point was that Vivid usually looks terrible but for some reason it wasn't as bad on the GX as on most TVs.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm also not a picture purist, and I think Vivid looks quite nice. I once read a comment from a "purist" saying you should bring the OLED-light setting value down so that the peak brightness matches the ~50 nits you get at the movie theater :confused:

Sometimes, "accurate" or "as it was intended to be watched by the film maker" doesn't look that great to some people.

The only arguably "objective" benefit from Vivid is that the auto brightness during bright scenes (ABL) is drastically reduced. So if you know what that is and you find that distracting or annoying, Vivid is the way to go.
Yes, unfortunately some purists tend to forget that their opinions on what looks best is just that. If people want to buy LCDs and run them with max brightness I am all for it, even tough it would not be my choice. Other things like black levels etc are more science.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
186 Posts
Maybe you should call and cancel that order and reorder it online since it’s available online now. It probably a hiccup with that magnolia store. They may not be allotted any GXs for that specific magnolia yet. Those guys get commission. Just cancel and reorder online. I just took delivery of my 77GX on Monday.

Still no ship date for the 77GX. BB is showing mid-June now. Anyone order the 77GX in the last two weeks and been given any type of delivery date? This is killing me. I ordered on April 4th!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
293 Posts

They both follow PQ but DV Cinema Home will deviate as the room gets brighter so it just depends on your room lighting and what you prefer.
So just to confirm what you mentioned works in both cinema and cinema home and to enable Dolby IQ we need to enable ai brightness.
If I mainly watch in dark room would cinema with Dolby IQ be best?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
So just to confirm what you mentioned works in both cinema and cinema home and to enable Dolby IQ we need to enable ai brightness.
If I mainly watch in dark room would cinema with Dolby IQ be best?

Thanks
DV IQ is only active with DV Cinema Home with the AI brightness ON. DV Cinema is the reference DV PM AI Brightness is grayed out.

Reactions: threshfire

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi - I just purchased a 65" GX. I'm having it professionally mounted next week. I'm looking at my wall and nervous that the outlet may protrude from the wall a little too much making it not a flush wall mount. Can anyone who has this TV comment on whether you think this would be problematic? Also wondering if the the outlet will create an issue once the power cable is plugged into it. Not sure how the TV could mount flush with the wall.

Photos below

Thanks for the help
I think that power may prove to be an issue. Can they push any further back into the wall?

This will give you an idea of the space you will/wont have.

One option would be to cut off the plug and wire it in direct to the outlet, then you don' have the added bulk of the plug as well.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts

Photos below

Thanks for the help
You need at least a recessed plug like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012DKBL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then if the cables do not align with the back cavity you will end up with the unit a cable diameter away from the wall as they run behind the TV to the plug cavity on the TV. Not really far, but the plug will really stick out if you do not have it recessed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone run into an issue where the wired ethernet connection decides to not be connected when you turn on the TV? I have to hypothesize that it either stems from having multiple things plugged into my router at the same time, or having bother wifi and ethernet connected to the TV (Things like Airplay won't work without wifi). I only think this because my C7 would do this on occasion, and having the same setup would lead me to believe its a network issue or dual connection setup issue. Any insight?

·
Vendor
26,639 Posts
Still no ship date for the 77GX. BB is showing mid-June now. Anyone order the 77GX in the last two weeks and been given any type of delivery date? This is killing me. I ordered on April 4th!
Production issues with Corona Virus.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Are there any differences between the two calibrated modes DV Cinema Home w/ the IQ and DV Cinema when watching in a dark room or do they come out equal?

Also lets say you're watching in a dark room in Cinema Home and a bright scene comes on, brightening up the room a bit. How does the Dolby IQ react in those situations?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Are there any differences between the two calibrated modes DV Cinema Home w/ the IQ and DV Cinema when watching in a dark room or do they come out equal?

Also lets say you're watching in a dark room in Cinema Home and a bright scene comes on, brightening up the room a bit. How does the Dolby IQ react in those situations?
Visually they look the same.

Reactions: jbalder19
4441 - 4460 of 8667 Posts