AVS Forum banner

4641 - 4660 of 11293 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
^man, thats such a great point...I dont understand why folks get so worked up about what other people see or do with there sets.

In my case I used DTM even though I knew Inwas wrong...it wasnt gettting calibrated so why not.
His post could actually be a frustrated response to how people on here are coming across about how a tv should be set up.

People are pretty rabid on here. I don't get that breezy feeling of a "prevailing wisdom" with regard to correct tv settings. Perhaps he didn't either.

(Just a thot.)

I too "fudge" on some of my settings and don't give what others think.;)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
His post could actually be a frustrated response to how people on here are coming across about how a tv should be set up.

People are pretty rabid on here. I don't get that breezy feeling of a "prevailing wisdom" with regard to correct tv settings. Perhaps he didn't either.

(Just a thot.)

I too "fudge" on some of my settings and don't give what others think.;)
Tbh nobody told him how a tv was to be set up. Someone was explaining what the differences were to the sharpness setting with factual information. The way he processed it was an entirely different story. I mean he can be frustrated all he wants but his frustration should lie with what the facts are and not the person saying what those facts are. I personally could care less what anyone does with their money their tv etc but if someone ask a question and the question is answered with facts don't shoot the messenger

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts

Almost. There are several ways on how a TV should be set up, including making it as close to what was on the mastering monitor as possible. The frustrating part is that some here think that one way, their way, is the only way it should be done. Especially when someone asks for one in particular, someone answers and they argue it shouldn’t be done that way. Sigh.

(Just a thot.)
No comment. :cool:

Elegantly stated.
I try but often don’t succeed.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Tbh nobody told him how a tv was to be set up. Someone was explaining what the differences were to the sharpness setting with factual information. The way he processed it was an entirely different story. I mean he can be frustrated all he wants but his frustration should lie with what the facts are and not the person saying what those facts are. I personally could care less what anyone does with their money their tv etc but if someone ask a question and the question is answered with facts don't shoot the messenger

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
I get you here.

I meant how people respond in general, NOT anyone on today's posts.

Over the last 10 years, I've picked up the aroma of a dogmatic "religion".

But today - it's only a "CULT".;):D:D:D

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Speaking of settings, I wish reviewers would at least give AI picture a chance to see if it works at cleaning up the picture. I'm hearing good things from some users.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I’️m sure the filmmakers intent isn't a blurry mess that looks like it was shot using a potato. These high end TVs look like crap with everything turned off. You want a basic picture, buy a basic TV.
If the filmmaker didn’️t make a blurry mess of a movie then the TV won’️t display a blurry mess with all processing shut off. A UHD disc and high quality streaming do not need any edge enhancement.

Many people here would love to buy a TV that can do 4K HDR with amazing contrast, 120Hz, low latency, etc. with absolutely zero extra processing features. That is far from a “basic TVâ€Â. An unaltered picture is not “basicâ€Â in any way.

But some people like all this extra processing crap. Some content may warrant it. That’️s why the TV has configurable options.

Why are you getting so distressed about how other people have their TV configured?
I’m not distressed at all. Actually it’s quite the opposite on here where people try to discourage you from using those processors all because the picture won’t be “accurate”. Unless you get your set calibrated, a lot of people would just blindly turn off everything and then wonder why their TV doesn’t look as expected. A lot of these sets need those processors as a crutch. I’m all for everyone doing whatever they want. But I’m just stating my opinion on the subject of people trying to dial everything they can down to 0 all because that’s how some say you will achieve the most “accurate” picture. A lot of people misinterpret that statement. Maybe somebody wants that pop and depth and not that old school flat film like picture. But coming on a forum like this, they’ll use settings they read on here randomly and in turn, not get the picture they would consider “accurate”. Just playing devils advocate.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Unless you get your set calibrated
This phrase keeps getting thrown around a lot. Those extra processing features do not compensate for an uncalibrated TV. The premise doesn’t even make sense: let’s take a TV that’s slightly off from accurate colour and brightness and turn on settings that will make it even more off from accurate colour and brightness and that will make things better. :rolleyes:

So someone wanting a look as close to what was on the mastering monitor should turn all processing off (AKA filmmaker mode) regardless if their TV is calibrated or not. And they’re not that bad from factory anyways.

But as you said, some people don’t like that look. They should turn off filmmaker mode and turn on whatever settings make them enjoy the TV. They’re not going to like filmmaker mode even with a calibrated set.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I don't see any raised blacks at all in any PM. HDR and DV look sharper and a little more depth but once it's available you will be able to see for yourself. In my opinion the HDR and DV PQ are better than my on my Sony when placed side by side. I haven't taken any measurements but i didn't see any visual shifts in the CMS.
This is great, but did you notice raised blacks before the test firmware?

I don't notice all the time, only in fade to black screens, prime example being Stranger Things on Netflix, (season 2 onwards) (netflix internal app)

Most episodes have a long fade to black screen at the end of each episode before the credits roll, this is not completely pitch black for me, and i know it should be because season 1 of stranger things is not in HDR and it is pitch black.

DV raised blacks is also mentioned in the FAQ on first page of this thread so I gather Im not the only one who has noticed this

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes, when introducing a 1DLUT in HDR/DV. This also goes back to 2018 and possibly 2017's as well.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I'm confused by all this 1DLUT stuff, what about an uncalibrated (OTB) set, like mine which I notice raised blacks in some complete dark screens.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
Folks who don’t consider older movies are missing out on lots and lots of great storytelling and great actors. Some are restored but some are not but they’re still worth watching nonetheless.

Don’t get me wrong I love watching HDR content but if it’s crap I’m not watching it for the sake of Its video quality.
Excellent point and I agree. There are some real massive stinker movies, that also happen to be HDR "eye-candy". Yet some users on AVS slather over them for the eye-candy completely forgetting that they are stinkers! Even worse, sometimes they don't forget, they know, but they don't care! How can you call yourself a movie fan and not care, and be proud of having such poor taste! A movie being crap ruins my enjoyment far more than a lower PQ would.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
DV raised blacks is also mentioned in the FAQ on first page of this thread so I gather Im not the only one who has noticed this
Of course, because we've had various problems with both raised blacks, and crushed blacks, across various forms of HDR, beit Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG, with these sets either with or without the LUTs for over two years now covering the 2018, 2019 and now 2020 models. .

That's why these things are in the FAQ, because they come up very Frequently! You only have to read the owner's threads for the 2018, 2019 and now this model, to see this. Any excitement at the news that it might be fixed, is just hasty and impulsive. I understand why people are excited, but try to keep the emotions out of it and think clearly.

TLDR: you need to remember ONE thing and ONE thing only: after two years we still have these problems on the 2018 models and LG doesn't seem to be interested in fixing them. Think about that before you make your purchase, not afterwards.

·
Registered
9,468 Posts
I'm confused by all this 1DLUT stuff, what about an uncalibrated (OTB) set, like mine which I notice raised blacks in some complete dark screens.
You're using the factory LUTs, so is an additional problem to the problem with user-created LUTs. Some of the bugs only happen with user-created LUTs and how the TV doesn't load them properly during calibration.
Or, it's mastered with "raised blacks" (Director's intent, like the colour of black space in Star Wars), so it's completely correct. Many people are too quick to shout "raised black! bug!" when it's not. You wanted Director's intent, and sometimes that includes black not being black. If someone said you value director's intent but don't like this part of it, sorry but you're a hypocrite. ;) [I don't mean you personally of course!]
Or, it's fault somewhere else.

It's a bit of a minefield. Buying an OLED means it should be possible to give you perfect black, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to see perfect black all of the time, and many people forget this :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
You're using the factory LUTs, so is an additional problem to the problem with user-created LUTs. Some of the bugs only happen with user-created LUTs and how the TV doesn't load them properly during calibration.
Or, it's mastered with "raised blacks" (Director's intent, like the colour of black space in Star Wars), so it's completely correct. Many people are too quick to shout "raised black! bug!" when it's not. You wanted Director's intent, and sometimes that includes black not being black. If you said you value director's intent but don't like this part of it, sorry but you're a hypocrite. ;)
Or, it's fault somewhere else.

It's a bit of a minefield. Buying an OLED means it should be possible to give you perfect black, but it doesn't mean you're entitled to see perfect black all of the time, and many people forget this :)
Oh I completely agree, some content can cause confusion, like Nolans movies, a lot have intentional raised blacks, like intersteller, and Star Wars Rise of Skywalker the space is not completely black, and sometimes night sky in movies is not pitch black either, but I don't think Ive ever looked at night sky and thought to myself that should be pitch black.

Thats why I also use fade to black screens as a test, stranger things being a good test, that should be complete black and its not.

As you say I'm not holding my breath for a fix, as its been so long. I'm still hopeful though.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Of course, because we've had various problems with both raised blacks, and crushed blacks, across various forms of HDR, beit Dolby Vision, HDR10 and HLG, with these sets either with or without the LUTs for over two years now covering the 2018, 2019 and now 2020 models. .

That's why these things are in the FAQ, because they come up very Frequently! You only have to read the owner's threads for the 2018, 2019 and now this model, to see this. Any excitement at the news that it might be fixed, is just hasty and impulsive. I understand why people are excited, but try to keep the emotions out of it and think clearly.

TLDR: you need to remember ONE thing and ONE thing only: after two years we still have these problems on the 2018 models and LG doesn't seem to be interested in fixing them. Think about that before you make your purchase, not afterwards.
Is SDR not affected by all of this?

If so, I'm good - being that I'm so-so about HDR/DV in the first place.

I really do see the dynamic range. My eyes even constrict a bit like in real life when someone opens a door from inside a house on a sunny day in the movie. Pretty cool.

But it isn't a look that I have ever seen in film before. To date, movie theaters, even those equipped with advanced tech, cannot replicate the dynamic range of what we have at home with these discs and sets.

Also having everything a bit darker to make room for the dynamic range is a "slight" constant reminder that "Dorthy's not in Kansas anymore."

I find myself trying to figure out why film purists like it so much and people here are "deciding" that if my settings were "correct", I'd like it.

Most movies aren't even shot in HDR. So how is adding this to movies such as 2001, bringing us closer to the director's intent?
Logically, it is only moving us away from it.

Yes, the sticker says, "brighter, deeper, and more life-like colors!" - right on the box. But NOT right in the original film.

So how exactly does all of this bring us closer to the look of film?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Is SDR not affected by all of this?

If so, I'm good - being that I'm so-so about HDR/DV in the first place.

I really do see the dynamic range. My eyes even constrict a bit like in real life when someone opens a door from inside a house on a sunny day in the movie. Pretty cool.

But it isn't a look that I have ever seen in film before. To date, movie theaters, even those equipped with advanced tech, cannot replicate the dynamic range of what we have at home with these discs and sets.

Also having everything a bit darker to make room for the dynamic range is a "slight" constant reminder that "Dorthy's not in Kansas anymore."

I find myself trying to figure out why film purists like it so much and people here are "deciding" that if my settings were "correct", I'd like it.

Most movies aren't even shot in HDR. So how is adding this to movies such as 2001, bringing us closer to the director's intent.
Logically, it is only moving us away from it.

So how exactly does an increase in the dynamic range bring us closer to the look of film?
I've checked 0% black test patterns and SDR is completely black.

4641 - 4660 of 11293 Posts