AVS Forum banner

4721 - 4740 of 10925 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Unfortunately this doesn't fix the other issues with the CX vs C9 😞

Can someone explain exactly what this issue is that the new firmware is solving? Is there a good work around until then?
What issues? If you mean DTS decoder, that's never going to be solved via firmware, but if you have a sound bar or receiver that you want to send DTS bitstream to, you still can, just not through the TV. If it's the 48 vs 40 gbps HDMI bandwidth, it's again a non issue, as there isn't any card out there with enough power that can do 4:4:4 120 Hz 10 bit output of AAA games. When such a card comes out, I am sure they will support 10 bit output and not just 8 and 12 bit only, as the bandwidth issue will be well known by then.

I am glad I spent a bit extra and got the CX, as the forward like this new one, which reportedly improves picture quality is more likely to come to me and not the C9.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
There are two things for me

1) Raised blacks
2) jrref mentioned that the PQ on the beta is better than before. Until this point, most reviews and comments from owners say that its nearly identical to the C9 and any differences are likely due to panel variation.

If the CX is truly a step up AND the raised blacks are solved while the C9 doesn't receive a fix, I'd personally change my order from a 9 to X. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on that but for me, that's what matters.
Very curious about this quality difference. I am currently debating between the 77" C9 and CX models given the price difference on newer display. I won't be purchasing for about a month so the availability of these two models may be the deciding hand in this decision. If the difference is significant enough, I may be able to swing the difference in dollars since the goal is for this display to last 4-5 years.

Either way, I know it will be a significant upgrade from the current 75" Sony X900E, which I rarely watch in the dark given the very distracting blooming.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been really disappointed with the DSE on the Q90r - Samsung has been terrible in terms of communication and trying to get the panel fixed - they want over £1000 for me to replace the panel...I couldn't believe it!

I'm a big gamer so the CX and it's future-proof features are really appealing for Xbox Series X and PS5.
Which gaming feature the CX have over the c9?

·
Registered
163 Posts
What issues? If you mean DTS decoder, that's never going to be solved via firmware, but if you have a sound bar or receiver that you want to send DTS bitstream to, you still can, just not through the TV. If it's the 48 vs 40 gbps HDMI bandwidth, it's again a non issue, as there isn't any card out there with enough power that can do 4:4:4 120 Hz 10 bit output of AAA games. When such a card comes out, I am sure they will support 10 bit output and not just 8 and 12 bit only, as the bandwidth issue will be well known by then.

I am glad I spent a bit extra and got the CX, as the forward like this new one, which reportedly improves picture quality is more likely to come to me and not the C9.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I am inclined to disagree. Nvidia has no obligation to change the way they've always done things when they release their 3080 series etc. Would rather have the same panel and 48gbps to ensure I am getting the most out of gaming. The rtings review sealed it for me.

Yes there is always the potential of the C9 missing some of the firmware updates, but I would put my money on LG vs Nvidia at this point. Still not sure what the raised blacks issue is, would love to see photos or data if anyone has it.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
There are two things for me

1) Raised blacks
2) jrref mentioned that the PQ on the beta is better than before. Until this point, most reviews and comments from owners say that its nearly identical to the C9 and any differences are likely due to panel variation.

If the CX is truly a step up AND the raised blacks are solved while the C9 doesn't receive a fix, I'd personally change my order from a 9 to X. I'm sure everyone has a different opinion on that but for me, that's what matters.
That's not quite true as it depends on your usage. Some users going from the C9 to C10 have reported less video noise from content on the margins. And there is this from rtings.com: "The LG CX upscales 720p content, such as from cable boxes, well with no upscaling artifacts that we noticed on past OLED TVs.". It'll be interesting to see what Vincent reports with the heavy noise scene from Father Brown. But you're right in that there is probably no difference with high quality content. That is until the Pandora box of the beta firmware update and if it carries over to the C9 which is TBD.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Which gaming feature the CX have over the c9?
I'm aware that the C9 has pretty much the same features for gaming, but the difference in price does not concern me - so I'm mainly driven by the potential outcome that LG may continue to update the CX in the future over the C9, so with new consoles coming out I can just have peace of mind that I won't be missing out. Until the C11 though of course :p

·
Registered
342 Posts
had a random issue this weekend where my cx was not getting a signal from any HDMI input. had to hold down the power button to force a restart. hope this doesn’t happen often

·
Registered
42 Posts
CRU users: are you Importing hdmi-bitstream.dat? If not, what audio format(s) do you use? Are you changing the video EDID, too? If so, to what?
What I do is just edit the "extension blocks" line (bottom right white window): click on it and click on "Edit..."
Then under "Data Blocks" I click on Speaker setup and "Edit..." again. I checkmark the speakers I have and click ok.
Then under "Data Blocks" again, I click on Audio Formats, and "Edit...". Then "Add..." and add the formats you want. The only one I care about is LPCM 6 and 8 channels; so I add those.

Those NEVER show up for me (4 different windows 10 PC's, 2 different sound systems, all possible settings combinations and cable connection order combinations).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you experience audio delay when watching Dolby Digital content while using Earc?
I have on C9
But in page one I can see the PCM multichannel is fixed? So if you HAD audio delay- do you now use LPCM now? If so, I would know that I should look forward for the SW update to C9.

Thanks
Multichannel PCM is not working properly for me. When it does work though, yes, there is absolutely no delay. DD has some (barely noticeable) when using eARC; nothing, compared to DD over ARC.

·
Registered
163 Posts
That's not quite true as it depends on your usage. Some users going from the C9 to C10 have reported less video noise from content on the margins. And there is this from rtings.com: "The LG CX upscales 720p content, such as from cable boxes, well with no upscaling artifacts that we noticed on past OLED TVs.". It'll be interesting to see what Vincent reports with the heavy noise scene from Father Brown. But you're right in that there is probably no difference with high quality content. That is until the Pandora box of the beta firmware update and if it carries over to the C9 which is TBD.
Agreed, some users with different use cases mileage will vary.

It seems like this years rtings review was met with more hostility than prior years. I had always been under the impression they were one of the few sites that actually knew what they were measuring and actually had some data to back up their points. I am not sure if it was CX users being defensive or just people generally irritated that this years model jump was lagging compared to prior years.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Yep the cx imo after having both sets does handle low quality content better than the c9. I noticed it right away when I started watching some directv on content I knw for a fact was problematic wit the c9. That being said I still feel cable content is trash and lg hasn't perfected it yet but on the cx its at least watchable

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm planning on getting the CX48 sometime after it releases, and I have a question: if Instant Game Response is turned on, will I be able to use any picture mode I want and still get the lowest input lag for games? Really curious about this as I've heard some say you can, but I just want to make sure :)
Yes: when Instant Game Response is ON, some "post-processing" features are deactivated/grayed-out for all picture modes. For example, the most obvious one that would cause delay--TruMotion--is greyed out (along with many others). So, for example, you can have Instant Game Response ON and use "Vivid" picture mode, and still get the lowest input lag. There is a "Game Mode" picture mode and even a "PC Mode" (by editing the actual HDMI input in the TV settings), but it doesn't appear to lower the input lag any further (and PC mode won't allow u to even change color settings, so it doesn't usually look good).

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
What I do is just edit the "extension blocks" line (bottom right white window): click on it and click on "Edit..."
Then under "Data Blocks" I click on Speaker setup and "Edit..." again. I checkmark the speakers I have and click ok.
Then under "Data Blocks" again, I click on Audio Formats, and "Edit...". Then "Add..." and add the formats you want. The only one I care about is LPCM 6 and 8 channels; so I add those.
No need to add an extra format or change the speaker setup. You just have to edit the existing LPCM entry. See the first thumbnail in this post: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3072900-lg-c9-earc-info-thread-25.html#post58655822

·
Registered
717 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm aware that the C9 has pretty much the same features for gaming, but the difference in price does not concern me - so I'm mainly driven by the potential outcome that LG may continue to update the CX in the future over the C9, so with new consoles coming out I can just have peace of mind that I won't be missing out. Until the C11 though of course :p
C9 does not have AMD Freesync, which might be important since the new consoles contain AMD chips.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'm aware that the C9 has pretty much the same features for gaming, but the difference in price does not concern me - so I'm mainly driven by the potential outcome that LG may continue to update the CX in the future over the C9, so with new consoles coming out I can just have peace of mind that I won't be missing out. Until the C11 though of course /forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif
C9 does not have AMD Freesync, which might be important since the new consoles contain AMD chips.
I thought there was a workaround for this already. Maybe I was mistaken.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts

Those NEVER show up for me (4 different windows 10 PC's, 2 different sound systems, all possible settings combinations and cable connection order combinations).
Thanks. That is, more or less, what I have been doing. The bitstream.dat file does not seem to do anything helpful. Perhaps it is a remnant from years ago?
I forgot about LPCM 6. I'll add that.
When contrasting the pre- and post-change hex dumps, I find that at least one byte changes on the video side when altering the audio side. Unsure why.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Not this again ...
As I've explained a dozen times before: PS5 and Xbox Series X will support HDMI 2.1 VRR, FreeSync will be meaningless for the new consoles.

4721 - 4740 of 10925 Posts