AVS Forum banner

4741 - 4760 of 12779 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
When comparing the pre- and post-change hex dumps, I find that one byte changes on the video side when altering the audio side. Unsure why.
Some EDID editors like to "correct" things. Only two bytes should change, the number of channels for LPCM and the final checksum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a quick question about the CX and soundbars - I’ve seen a few conflicting reports so was hoping for some clarification :)

Am I correct in thinking that when connecting an Xbox One X to my Dolby Atmos soundbar and then to the CX, I’ll get Atmos...but lose out on CX capabilities such as VRR. And vice versa - if I connect the Xbox to the CX and then to the soundbar, I’ll get VRR but lose out on Atmos. Is this correct? If so, why is this the case? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am also seeing banding again in normal content in the replacement cx I got and it’️s annoying me.

I could just go c9 and call it a day but I’️m not sure that’️s the right decision at this point.
Would that content include output from the PS4 Pro (SDR and/or HDR)?

When experiencing said banding have you checked the reported bit depth within the hidden menu in the WebOS (Settings - Channels, highlight the top menu option within Channels and press 1 five times: 11111)? This is from the C9 instructions, but I'd imagine it would be the same for the CX. Just curious. Unsure if reliable, however, as I did read there was a bug in the C9 that causes (or caused?) 12-bit to report as 8-bit. In that case the pixel clock would be the information to look for. At least that's what I got from reading this reddit post: https://amp.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/fo8c2l/c9_reports_ycbcr422_8bit_but_pc_is_set_to_12bit/

Also, going by the same thought that some things stay the same, wouldn't it be likely that the C9 suffers the same HDMI bugs/glitches you're experiencing on the CX? (you had or still have one to compare and confirm?).

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Unsure if reliable, however, as I did read there was a bug in the C9 that causes (or caused?) 12-bit to report as 8-bit. In that case the pixel clock would be the information to look for.
Not really a bug. There is only one HDMI pixel format for 4:2:2 and it's 12-bit. This means that 8 and 10 bit content will be right padded with zeros to make it 12-bit for transmission. It would have been more accurate for them to always show 12-bit for 4:2:2 but that wouldn't tell us what it originally was at the source. This also means the pixel clock would also be the same for 8, 10 or 12 bit content.

The CX will display it the same way.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
Some EDID editors like to "correct" things. Only two bytes should change, the number of channels for LPCM and the final checksum.
Roger that! Your EDID mod works; not sure why other things are "corrected" with CRU? Just off exploring the what and the why.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Roger that! Your EDID mod works; not sure why other things are "corrected" with CRU? Just off exploring the what and the why.
No idea. It's primary purpose is to edit the EDID as Windows sees it so for that purpose I wouldn't worry about it.

But don't use it as an EDID editor where you're going export the bin file for use with an external device.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
confirmed by microsoft and sony both consoles use VRR
No, Sony has not. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk about it.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/4/21151509/xbox-series-x-ps5-specs-4k-8k-tv-hdmi

"As for the PS5, there's no word at this point on support for features like ALLM or VRR. The thing is, the PS5 will surely have an HDMI 2.1 port as well. ... HDMI 2.0b can't handle 4K video at frame rates higher than 60 fps, while HDMI 2.1 can comfortably support 4K at 120 fps and 8K at 60 fps.Mar 4, 2020"

·
Registered
452 Posts
No, Sony has not. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't talk about it.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/3/4/21151509/xbox-series-x-ps5-specs-4k-8k-tv-hdmi

"As for the PS5, there's no word at this point on support for features like ALLM or VRR. The thing is, the PS5 will surely have an HDMI 2.1 port as well. ... HDMI 2.0b can't handle 4K video at frame rates higher than 60 fps, while HDMI 2.1 can comfortably support 4K at 120 fps and 8K at 60 fps.Mar 4, 2020"
literally confirmed here by Sony: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2020/03/18/unveiling-new-details-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

no reason to be a jerk

·
Registered
59 Posts
How sure are you of that though? That is the main reason I am holding off getting the C9 because I am worried they will pull something stupid on us.
Let me ask you the other way round, where did you see that Sony or Microsoft mention that their consoles use FreeSync?

FreeSync is AMD deployment on VESA VRR on their GFx cards which don't officially support HDMI 2.1. Once the next generation GFx cards support VRR, it will be meaningless, just like GSync. The new 'GSync Compatible' is simply VESA VRR over DP and HDMI.

Rest assured, none of the consoles support FreeSync or GSync, they support HDMI 2.1 VRR. And both MS and Sony have mentioned HDMI 2.1 on their next gen consoles.

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
Exactly this. I was impressed that the click baiter had his view count dismissed is all, no ill intent in my comment. Sorry for any confusion :eek:
haha, now I see! Never used reddit :) All good :)

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
No idea. It's primary purpose is to edit the EDID as Windows sees it so for that purpose I wouldn't worry about it.

But don't use it as an EDID editor where you're going export the bin file for use with an external device.
I use Moninfo to edit. I take the resulting file to DRHDMI4K-GUI-1.2, then to DRHDMI4K. Just wanted to see what CRU has to offer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went into the hidden menu of the lg cx and found that when playing an HDR game on my ps4 pro that it is reading as "8-bit future". I have all my settings on the ps4 pro to automatic for HDR.

Is this a glitch on the TV falsely reporting incorrect bit depth?

If not, what am I doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Does this mean the source is 8 bit (unless I read that post you mentioned wrong) or its just that the ps4 pro using 4:2:2 will just always show 8-bit even if it is 10 or 12 bit source material?
You read it wrong. When using 4:2:2 there is no way for the TV to tell what the source device was rendering at. So that number in the diagnostic screen is meaningless.

The PS4 Pro is most likely rendering at 10-bit.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You read it wrong. When using 4:2:2 there is no way for the TV to tell what the source device was rendering at. So that number in the diagnostic screen is meaningless.

The PS4 Pro is most likely rendering at 10-bit.
Thank you for the clarification!

One other thing I was wondering is if the "cinema home" option with Dolby vision on streaming apps like disney+ or netflix is supposed to force trumotion to clear motion with no option of turning off (greyed out) whereas the regular "home" mode allows you to adjust both the real cinema and trumotion settings.

I like the brighter picture mode "cinema home" but my wife doesn't like the clear motion stuff (I think it looks fine)

Thanks again.

4741 - 4760 of 12779 Posts