AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 8739 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
There s zero peak luminance difference between HDR FILMMAKER_MODE and HDR Cinema. If you want measurements of known inaccurate video modes, like Cinema Home, you will have to look else where. Accuracy to content creator's intent is and will be my sole focus.
I see, i was expecting that filmmaker mode would make the picture look a bit darker, so then the question begs what is Filmmaker mode doing differently than Cinema under the hood? Do both modes target the same whitepoint OOTB? Does filmmaker mode disable any processing, are any picture settings options grayed out in filmmaker mode that are accessible in Cinema?

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I see, i was expecting that filmmaker mode would make the picture look a bit darker, so then the question begs what is Filmmaker mode doing differently than Cinema under the hood? Do both modes target the same whitepoint OOTB? Does filmmaker mode disable any processing, are any picture settings options grayed out in filmmaker mode that are accessible in Cinema?
Nothing is different "under the hood", it's just a mode with very nice defaults ("nice" because they are accurate). It replaces the previous models' Technicolor mode which also had nice defaults (such as OLED Light=25 to be as close to 100 nits as possible).

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
With identical settings, FILMMAKER_MODE is the same as ISF Expert Bright/Dark Room. I don't mess with SDR Cinema. For HDR, FILMMAKER_MODE is the same as HDR Cinema.

·
Registered
163 Posts
With identical settings, FILMMAKER_MODE is the same as ISF Expert Bright/Dark Room. I don't mess with SDR Cinema. For HDR, FILMMAKER_MODE is the same as HDR Cinema.
I wonder why they would keep both settings then. It sounds like they are OOTB very similar to each other (ISF modes/FM mode).

·
Registered
867 Posts
I wonder why they would keep both settings then. It sounds like they are OOTB very similar to each other (ISF modes/FM mode).
Options. You normally want a day and a night mode calibrated in SDR. It is said that all processing is disabled by default in ISF modes, but in my UK model C9, Trumotion is default set at Clear. Technicolor was introduced with an alternate white point, but does have all processing disabled. But if you take SDR Cinema, Technicolor, ISF Bright and Dark, and change all the settings to the exact same on each mode, they are all the exact same mode. You just have 4 options to calibrate 4 different ways for 4 different conditions. It is overkill, but consumers like more options.

FILM_MAKER Mode just replaces Technicolor without the alternate white point.

In HDR it's the same thing, just with 2 options less.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
3,315 Posts

·
Registered
9,875 Posts
I doubt supply is an issue. TVs were not manufactured a week ago. Getting it to destination will be a bigger issue when all truckers are sitting at home.
Why would all truckers be sitting home when they can now drive as many hours per day as they want since the President declared a national emergency? There are now more truckers on the road at one time than I have ever seen before. And since BB is considered an essential business, due to the fact that they sell electronics so people can work from home, survive at home (fridges, stoves, etc), they will continue to sell tv's as they are also considered essential so people can get vital information.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I'm taking the plunge. My 55" E6 has some Burn in and LG is doing a buyback in the amount of $1662 for it. I'm really sad to loose the 3D but it is what it is. I placed a order for a 65" CX from Value Electronics my biggest concern is how well the new set will handle motion the e6 could have been much better at that.
I can say with confidence based on 0 experience with either 2 sets that the CX will blow it out of the water! Guarantee it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Options. You normally want a day and a night mode calibrated in SDR. It is said that all processing is disabled by default in ISF modes, but in my UK model C9, Trumotion is default set at Clear. Technicolor was introduced with an alternate white point, but does have all processing disabled. But if you take SDR Cinema, Technicolor, ISF Bright and Dark, and change all the settings to the exact same on each mode, they are all the exact same mode. You just have 4 options to calibrate 4 different ways for 4 different conditions. It is overkill, but consumers like more options.

FILM_MAKER Mode just replaces Technicolor without the alternate white point.

In HDR it's the same thing, just with 2 options less.
This is correct on the C8 as well, not all processing is off, some are set to low. This isn't a big deal to us since we know what to turn off in a few seconds, but the general public doesn't. And this is who Filmmaker Mode is for, the general public. With the press of a button and/or by the tv automatically picking up a flag in the content, or detecting it's 24p content, it will automatically switch to the most accurate out of the box mode and turn off all processing to give you the closest experience to the creator's intent without needing to fiddle with any settings (that most people have no idea what they do) and without any troublesome menu navigation.

·
Registered
867 Posts
This is correct on the C8 as well, not all processing is off, some are set to low. This isn't a big deal to us since we know what to turn off in a few seconds, but the general public doesn't. And this is who Filmmaker Mode is for, the general public. With the press of a button and/or by the tv automatically picking up a flag in the content, or detecting it's 24p content, it will automatically switch to the most accurate out of the box mode and turn off all processing to give you the closest experience to the creator's intent without needing to fiddle with any settings (that most people have no idea what they do) and without any troublesome menu navigation.
Exactly right and very well explained! :)

·
Registered
6,593 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Here is my preliminary thoughts on my 55CX and OOTB calibration scans. I posted over on the CX calibration thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3113174-2020-lg-oled-calibration-user-settings-no-price-talk-3.html#post59401816

So, not to put words in your mouth (so to speak), but after reading your above post - I got the impression you are saying that, so far, you feel that the 2020 LG OLEDs' (CX here) processing is on par with Sony's and in some cases better?

·
Registered
17,809 Posts
Here is the post calibration of FILMMAKER MODE in SDR (BFI set to OFF).

Notes... BFI, reduces brightness by 10-15% in Low and Medium while High reduces by 60%. If you use BFI, you need to calibrate in the mode you want to use as it impacts everything. CMS controls are half working and you are better off doing a 3D LUT calibration.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,593 Posts
So, not to put words in your mouth (so to speak), but after reading your above post - I got the impression you are saying that, so far, you feel that the 2020 LG OLEDs' (CX here) processing is on par with Sony's and in some cases better?
That's my personal opinion based on content I've watched so far. There may be other's who might find content that may show problems and or have a different "taste" when it comes to PQ. Some are purists an like a 100% film like picture where other's prefer more of the 3D like PQ. There is no right or wrong just depends on what you like. As for motion which i'm sensitive to, this is the first LG where i'm comfortable with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Here is my preliminary thoughts on my 55CX and OOTB calibration scans. I posted over on the CX calibration thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/3113174-2020-lg-oled-calibration-user-settings-no-price-talk-3.html#post59401816
"BFI is implemented on the HDMI inputs only."

To clarify - does this mean that BFI doesn't work with the internal apps?

Edit: Saw jrref's like - ah, that's a shame. I doubt that will be fixed by a software update, so I guess that's just something they'll do in 2021 (if ever). Will have to stick to Apple TV then. (I guess I'll see how/if I like it)

·
Registered
579 Posts

Notes... BFI, reduces brightness by 10-15% in Low and Medium while High reduces by 60%. If you use BFI, you need to calibrate in the mode you want to use as it impacts everything. CMS controls are half working and you are better off doing a 3D LUT calibration.
How do the different BFI settings compare to the BFI on current on OLEDs? The presumption so far is that medium would be equal to what we have with BFI right now, and that high would result in even greater motion clarity. Does that seem to be the case?

·
Registered
9,177 Posts

Thankyou! The [fully saturated] luminance sweeps look very good on that!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I'm not saying Sony TVs are bad TVs but I think Sony fanboys are annoying and they are one of the worst companies when it comes to charging a LOT more for a LOT less. If the price difference was a couple of hundred then sure, Sony would be amazing, but they charge hundreds and almost a thousand dollars more. Is it really worth that much of a huge price difference for a 2 year old processing chip that in almost all content is only incrementally "better?" We won't even get into the whole HDMI Gimping thing they've done for years.
If by HDMI gimping you mean that the X1 Extreme had 2 full speed HDMI 2.0 ports and 2 at HDMI 1.4 speed, well at least the current X1 Ultimate doesn't do that. Maybe the next chip (expected late summer) will also only do HDMI 2.1 on half the ports and HDMI 2.0 speed on the rest. Who knows yet. I think I read LG was doing the same on the BX, but I may remember wrong. It seems they are desperate to find some stuff to make the B series not have that the C series have to justify any price difference. As for what Sony charges, well they have to pay for their development cost on a lot lower volume than LG. So it is entirely up to the buyer if they think any slight improvements Sony provides is worth the extra cost. No one is forcing anyone to pay for it if they don't want to. It makes perfect sense that LG is selling a lot more than Sony. For most people LG wins the price/features/performance balance over Sony. It depends what value you put on things.

481 - 500 of 8739 Posts