AVS Forum banner

7001 - 7020 of 10817 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have a 2080 ti, and have been using Gsync via instant game response. The reason I was looking forward to potentially using Freesync is its low framerate compensation. I like to play at 4k max settings, which even on a 2080 ti can cause dips below 40fps in a number of games.

Beyond that, I'm also having some issues with Gsync which I was hopeful if Freesync was an option could possibly solve, but seems this isn't an option so I'll instead speak on my issues and hope others have any ideas.

My first issue is the in-game settings for games seem to make use of only the resolutions listed under "PC" in the NVCP. This is an issue because, for example, the 3840x2160 resolution under PC is limited to YUV420 8bit as it only lets you choose a refresh rate of 100hz or 120hz. The 3840x2160 in the list above PC tho lets you select 60hz and thus YUV422 at 10bit for HDR.

Additionally, if I do choose a lower refresh rate in-game, like 60hz, Gsync seems to turn off and the game tears. I seemingly have to keep it set to 120hz, which locks me out of YUV422 10bit at 4k due to HDMI 2.0 limitations.
You need to cap FPS @ 57 for Gsync to remain active @ 60hz. Same applies to 120 (117FPS frame cap). The reason you're not noticing the tears at 120hz is because it's less frequent.

The alternative is to create a custom resolution of 63 or 65FPS which the C9 and CX have no problem doing and that way your frame cap is 60 or 62FPS.

Read here about how to properly set up Gsync.

https://blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101-input-lag-tests-and-settings/14/

As is without a frame cap, games are bouncing over 60FPS and running out of Gsync range which is why you're seeing periodic tearing. Also, LFC works fine on the CX with Gsync as reported else where using the Nvidia Pendulum demo.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Why are you thinking about this if you can't change how the things are? LG does what it wants with its products... The E owners felt special, now the GX owners suffer (if they know...). This is it.
I'm just calling LG out for cheaping out on the controller on this new 2020 model.. they didn't on older E models, 2016,2017 etc.
I'm well within my rights to voice my disapproval on them cheaping out to save a few bucks.. Check reviews from YouTube etc most say the same.. or check older Sony OLEDs reviews they complained of the same thing.. cheap tacky plastic controls on their premium tv's.
Point is, the control sucks but I'm willing to dip even further into my own pocket and rectify that personal issue buy purchasing one of the signature remotes (If I can ever get a hold of one) but really I shouldn't have to. (in my free speech opinion)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a couple questions related to watching content at night. I'm coming to the CX from a projector so by no means am used to overly bright displays at night.

1. I find by 11 or 12 at night, I want the OLED Light setting down to 20/30, even 0 at one point, just to be easier on my eyes. When I do that though I think I'm seeing more black crush, which makes sense to me, less light, less detail. Does anyone have recent experience w QLEDs and think I would have a different experience where I can watch at very dim levels yet retain more shadow details? And if so, what other things would I trade off vs the CX?

2. When I have my CX OLED Light low, the menus seem to still be at full brightness. Is there any way to also dim those?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Might want to check again. Just got my VE 48" yesterday, shipped on July 2nd from Jonestown, PA. Perhaps due to the holiday, I did not get an email notice of shipping until about 2 hours before delivery.

Unboxing today, a long process due to switching TV cabinets and integrating the new unit into my old A/V receiver and 5 speaker surround system (will see how well ARC works). Replacing a 2007 50 inch Samsung HP-T5054 plasma, which is still delivering an amazing picture after all these years, though it uses a lot of power and generates a bunch of heat.
I did check again and confirmed with the owner of VE that he won't receive allocation from LG until the 10th or 13th. Whether or not that's true at this point is irrelevant.

I should have spent the extra $100 and ordered from BB in early/mid June because I would have been enjoying the TV for almost a month now considering I won't receive one currently for another 1.5 weeks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
AFAIK:
"Original" - the TV just shows the image in its original aspect ratio - so it changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 or 16:9 depending on the input video signal.
"16:9" - the TV tries to fit the image into the selected aspect ratio - forces a 16:9 - it might not work every time.
Original = auto switch between 4:3 and 16:9
16:9 = stretch all content including all 4:3 content to 16:9, making it look ridiculous.

That is the only difference.

EDIT: ah, I see @dfa973 beat me to it :)
Thanks for clearing this up guys!

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have a couple questions related to watching content at night. I'm coming to the CX from a projector so by no means am used to overly bright displays at night.

2. When I have my CX OLED Light low, the menus seem to still be at full brightness. Is there any way to also dim those?
Very valid point...if i go into settings at night in a dark scene, the settings menu blind me...

I doubt you can lower the settings brightness globally but what helped me is disabling the help popups for each setting (the solid white boxes that appear next to the black settings menu)

I forget where exactly that setting is...ill check tonight

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Just unboxed my cx and it’s curved? Please
Some check this and should I be sending it back????? HELP!
That's a very slight curve. Just like just my E6 and CX. Not a thing to worry about.

Reactions: L0giX

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Do you guys have any recommendations for picture tweaks on the various settings to get the best out of upscaling 1080 content being output from a cable box? I've got it tweaked pretty good so far, but was hoping to "sharpen" it up a bit (without cranking the sharpness control of course). There's just sooo many settings and the little popups on what they do aren't necessarily very useful in understanding them.

Reactions: PhoenixF15E

·
Registered
796 Posts
Just unboxed my cx and it’s curved? Please
Some check this and should I be sending it back????? HELP!
I didn't know that this was a common problem. For some reason I can't see the full size jpeg, so it's difficult to see how bad the curve is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It’s doesn’t matter now. After setting it all up the screen flashes every 10 seconds. Also when it’s on a black screen there are about 40 little colours dots all around. Green, blue and red. Seriously disappointed.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Got the update finally ...
DV raised blacks are not fixed
Black crush with BFI is not fixed
Smooth gradation is not fixed - Low/Medium does nothing
Motion is slightly improved in Cinema Clear / Dejudder 1,2

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I didn't know that this was a common problem. For some reason I can't see the full size jpeg, so it's difficult to see how bad the curve is.
So ridiculous, how many times have we discussed this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m about to burst into tears! Finally got my CX. I was worried about getting an OLED as was so nervous about the purchase and now I’ve set it up it’s faulty! I feel like just running away and living on a cave!

Also is the CX seems slightly slower then my friends C9. When you hold down the setting button on his C9 the picture menu pops up almost instantly. When I do it on my CX a little loading window pops up and then the menu appears after. Seems sluggish in comparison.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Got the update finally ...
DV raised blacks are not fixed
Black crush with BFI is not fixed
Smooth gradation is not fixed - Low/Medium does nothing
Motion is slightly improved in Cinema Clear / Dejudder 1,2
Smooth gradation has been working for me since the update but lately I have noticed it seems to work and unwork at the same time its weird. Its like it'll work but a few seconds later it kicks off and kick back on again its unstable basically

·
Registered
796 Posts
So ridiculous, how many times have we discussed this?
I just searched the thread for "curve" and this is the first.

edit: I searched for "warp" and found one person (athenaesword) raising it as an issue about 2,000 posts ago. So the answer to your question is "not very many". You may want to refrain from posting disparaging personal remarks, especially unfounded ones.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I’m about to burst into tears! Finally got my CX. I was worried about getting an OLED as was so nervous about the purchase and now I’ve set it up it’s faulty! I feel like just running away and living on a cave!

Also is the CX seems slightly slower then my friends C9. When you hold down the setting button on his C9 the picture menu pops up almost instantly. When I do it on my CX a little loading window pops up and then the menu appears after. Seems sluggish in comparison.
man I'm really sorry that sucks, I know you were in here so worried about the raised blacks DV stuff and now you finally get the set and its just straight up busted. I hope you can get it exchanged quickly

7001 - 7020 of 10817 Posts