AVS Forum banner

7301 - 7320 of 8560 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I don’t find it overly bright in SDR just about the same as any other tv I’ve owned. I set contrast and brightness to my spears and musil disk. Why would I want an LED when I’m enjoying fantastic contrast and a superb image. I can’t set my oled light to 27? That’s crazy? I don’t understand the notion of such dulling of the image. My HRD Is really nice in Cinema home just a little to bright maybe. Was just looking for advice. I did try oled light at 30 but the mrs likes to watch coronation street and all that and you just can’t make out the picture.
Unless you're in a totally dark room (that's what 27-30 is for) give 40-45 a try. I settled on 40 for my normal viewing conditions and 50 for brighter room. The image is slightly more contrasty that my plasma due to switching to 2.4 gamma for ISF Dark vs my plasma running on 2.2 (and apparently according to an old CNet review probably actually running around 2.1). The bright stuff like whites are still far brighter than my plasma ever was when there's a lot of it on screen (probably a plasma brightness limiter issue) and that was adjusted properly with the DVE blu-ray when I was using it. Also speaking of gamma, ISF Dark and Filmmaker both use 2.4/BT.1886 by default which will definitely look darker. ISF Bright and the Cinema preset in SDR both use 2.2. You can actually make ISF Dark and Bright look the same if you change the gamma on both to the same setting and the OLED Light to the same setting. Same with Filmmaker, that one just has all the tweaks like motion, noise reduction, etc. turned off by default in addition to lower OLED Light settings.

Hope this helps. Just things I've found by playing around with the settings and asking questions over the past 4.5 days.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I used these settings and he didn’t say it was way to bright????
OLED Light depends on the viewing conditions in the room (lights on/off etc). Also those are for the C9. I would think they should be similar but still stuff did change between model years. I saw somewhere that for Dolby Vision it used to have an OLED Light setting of 50 on earlier models, that is now 100 so who knows.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I used these settings and he didn’️t say it was way to bright????
OLED Light depends on the viewing conditions in the room (lights on/off etc). Also those are for the C9. I would think they should be similar but still stuff did change between model years. I saw somewhere that for Dolby Vision it used to have an OLED Light setting of 50 on earlier models, that is now 100 so who knows.
Yeah who knows. I give up. People saying if I wanted to that kind of brightness then to get an lcd? I’m happy with this tv and the settings that I use from that videos. R-Tings is pretty similar, most settings I’ve seen online seem to be around the same with oled around 80. Everyone going on about how the film maker intended it? It’s not a 40 foot cinema screen it’s a 55 inch tv. Others asking if they should have their Oled light at this or at that? Why ask if you prefer the light at a certain value why change it to some thing you don’t like because you think that’s how it mean to be? Me and the mrs watch coronation street for example at oled 30 and man did it look bad, not realistic at all. I’m sure it wasn’t meant to look like that!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Unless you're in a totally dark room (that's what 27-30 is for) give 40-45 a try. I settled on 40 for my normal viewing conditions and 50 for brighter room. The image is slightly more contrasty that my plasma due to switching to 2.4 gamma for ISF Dark vs my plasma running on 2.2 (and apparently according to an old CNet review probably actually running around 2.1). The bright stuff like whites are still far brighter than my plasma ever was when there's a lot of it on screen (probably a plasma brightness limiter issue) and that was adjusted properly with the DVE blu-ray when I was using it. Also speaking of gamma, ISF Dark and Filmmaker both use 2.4/BT.1886 by default which will definitely look darker. ISF Bright and the Cinema preset in SDR both use 2.2. You can actually make ISF Dark and Bright look the same if you change the gamma on both to the same setting and the OLED Light to the same setting. Same with Filmmaker, that one just has all the tweaks like motion, noise reduction, etc. turned off by default in addition to lower OLED Light settings.

Hope this helps. Just things I've found by playing around with the settings and asking questions over the past 4.5 days.
Thanks for that reply. I’m defo sermon 80 for my
Oled light night and day. Really look so good at night. I’m dead chuffed with SDR settings just really like the C9 for Dolby Vision. Cinema home on the C9 has Ai brightness on as standard and the picture is impressive. Watch so many movies round my pals, movies nights all the time! Just Cinema home and Ai brightness on the CX to me doesn’t look as good, it looks a bit blown like white clip? But then cinema is too dark for me? Watching cinema home just wipes out all the details for me and just look crap. Everything dark, like it got some sort of filter on it. Just can’t seem to get it right it theres not many options to change.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Currently I've got an LG OLED C7. Considering getting an LG OLED CX.

Just wondering how well the BFI (Black Frame Insertion) works? Are most people running it on low, mid, or high setting (or auto=varies between low/mid)?

Is the motion resolution noticeably improved, without lowering brightness too much?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Thanks for that reply. I’m defo sermon 80 for my
Oled light night and day. Really look so good at night. I’m dead chuffed with SDR settings just really like the C9 for Dolby Vision. Cinema home on the C9 has Ai brightness on as standard and the picture is impressive. Watch so many movies round my pals, movies nights all the time! Just Cinema home and Ai brightness on the CX to me doesn’t look as good, it looks a bit blown like white clip? But then cinema is too dark for me? Watching cinema home just wipes out all the details for me and just look crap. Everything dark, like it got some sort of filter on it. Just can’t seem to get it right it theres not many options to change.
The only other thing I've been able to think of is I know you said your panel is bad and is supposed to be getting replaced. I'm assuming that didn't happen yet? If not, there very well may be something wrong with it besides the flashing etc. and it's not displaying the way it should. I've had none of the issues you've mentioned with any HDR/Dolby Vision content on either of the Cinema settings for Dolby Vision or the HDR Filmmaker mode for regular HDR (essentially the Cinema mode without any extra processing, same brightness, OLED Light etc). Maybe try resetting those modes to their default settings and see if something was incorrect somewhere?

Either way, if that panel hasn't been replaced yet, I think I'd hold off on trying to tweak it or worry about settings anymore until after it's replaced. Just to make sure you're not having some other issues as well and didn't realize it. I don't know what TV you came from, but for me this TV is way more capable in all modes of getting much brighter than my VT60 series plasma could. I plan to watch a bunch of stuff I have in HDR this weekend now including with a bunch of dark scenes like Altered Carbon, The Expanse, some UHD discs like Matrix, Aquaman, Harry Potter, The Mummy trilogy (Brendan Fraser movies) so I'll let you know if I notice any issues of it seeming too dim.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
One thing I've learned with companies and firmware updates is that they will have 1 or 2 updates that will have everything working in sync all the other updates break **** whenever lg sends one of those everything is working updates im never updating again
Sounds like good advice. I would only update when I'm sure nothing was broken and there was a tangible improvement in PQ.

·
Registered
27 Posts
He charges subscribers to use his so called calibrated settings.
I definitely am not a fan of Quantum but is not the only popular YouTube entity that sells settings. Personally I don’️t see the logic of selling settings as they are not the equivalent of an actual calibration. That is why I’️ve freely provided settings for 12+ years now.
You sure have D-Nice, you are awesome! I have been following you since the golden age of the Pioneer Kuro and have always considered you to be the holy grail as far as display calibration goes. With that being said, do you have any settings for the 77" CX? Also, have you ever seen a CX with actual Dirty Screen Effect? I'm not talking streaks, I'm talking blotchiness throughout the entire display which can be seen in screen pans of bright sky scenes and white areas of content. I just bought a CX that has this issue. Also, I noticed that the screen protector was not adhered to the screen perfectly like it was on my 65" CX, and it had hairs, and pieces of styrofoam underneath that could be seen clearly. Also the screen had fingerprints in it once the protector was removed. Definitely were not from us, as we wore rubber gloves during the stand installation. It was packed properly and had the plastic straps around the box, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what could have happened here. I tried to get pics of the issue on the full white field which actually looks like a ton of faint horizontal and vertical lines all spaced about a half inch apart from one another. It does not show in pictures, but most definitely is quite evident in person. On the other hand, I see streaking in the picture of the full field 5% picture, but can barely see any streaking besides one "light" streak (a streak lighter than the rest of the entire gray field) in person. My 65CX most definitely does not have this at all. It is very reminiscent of the kuro DSE honestly and I think it may be a poor application of the anti-reflective coating. Either way, just would like to hear your input. I'm very seriously considering exchanging it. Pictures of the screen protector issue and full field 100% and 5% attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
Anyone know if film maker mode is calibrated differently than isf dark? If I set both modes exactly the same am I getting the same picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DrewM

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm new here!

I recently purchased an CX 55 and it's quite something coming from a Sony 900E. So far everything looks great-no dead pixels, noticeable banding etc. I was pretty satisfied with my Sony overall but the blooming in dark scenes was really bothersome especially since I mostly view/game in darkness. The reduced input lag when gaming is also great! The CX is absolutely stunning....now it's going to be hard to go back from OLED!

I just have a question here: My CX leans back maybe 1-2 degrees, like it's not straight 90 degrees. Is this common? My Sony leaned back as well, but that was intentional design. I have it on it's stand so it's not wall mounted or anything.

Thanks!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a denon x3500h. The only way I can get it to work properly is by turning off arc altogether. I tried turning off earc but still having issues. The tv is turning on automatically when I turn it off sometimes. When I run internal apps sometimes it works and sometimes the audio is stuck on the previous hdmi source. I’ve had the same exact issues before and after the latest updates on both the tv and the receiver.
Exact same issues I'm having with my Denon 950h.

I have ARC working but it took me taking my Nvidia Shield out of the equation completely and a ton of unplugging and power cycling before it finally would sync properly.

eARC doesn't work for me at all right now but that's the least of my issues.

This all began with firmware 03.10.20, everything was fine on the previous updates besides my Shield showing up on the input list twice but at least it worked.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Yeah who knows. I give up. People saying if I wanted to that kind of brightness then to get an lcd? I’m happy with this tv and the settings that I use from that videos.
For what it is worth, I started with the OOTB settings and have tweaked a bit here or there where I saw fit. I appreciate the calibrators in this group greatly. But everyone has their own desires and you should go with what looks right to you. Matching a specification and creator intent isn't what I want for my display. Which is not to say I want everything to look like an artifact laden comic book. But I like it a bit more saturated, bright, and I think some of the processing options this year perform well.

I'm reading that you are really enjoying the TV, which is most important. Considering how stressed you were, that is a great thing :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Exact same issues I'm having with my Denon 950h.

I have ARC working but it took me taking my Nvidia Shield out of the equation completely and a ton of unplugging and power cycling before it finally would sync properly.

eARC doesn't work for me at all right now but that's the least of my issues.

This all began with firmware 03.10.20, everything was fine on the previous updates besides my Shield showing up on the input list twice but at least it worked.
I've got my issues with my Apple TV narrowed down to switching from Atmos to stereo. Everytime... After watching something in Atmos, the audio will studder watching content in stereo. I've found two "fixes". Power cycle the TV or, get this, goto Netflix and let something auto-play. Either of those will get audio working normally again. Luckily not much content in Atmos at the moment... Auto firmware updates are now disabled.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I can’t set my oled light to 27? That’s crazy? I don’t understand the notion of such dulling of the image.
Yeah who knows. I give up. People saying if I wanted to that kind of brightness then to get an lcd? I’m happy with this tv and the settings that I use from that videos. R-Tings is pretty similar, most settings I’ve seen online seem to be around the same with oled around 80. Everyone going on about how the film maker intended it? It’s not a 40 foot cinema screen it’s a 55 inch tv. Others asking if they should have their Oled light at this or at that? Why ask if you prefer the light at a certain value why change it to some thing you don’t like because you think that’s how it mean to be? Me and the mrs watch coronation street for example at oled 30 and man did it look bad, not realistic at all. I’m sure it wasn’t meant to look like that!
I for one was not judging you or your preferred settings (nor do I think anyone else is here), but merely offering a literal explanation as to why HDR content in "Cinema" (not Cinema Home) mode may, in some instances, tend to look "dull" to you compared to your listed SDR settings.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
you should go with what looks right to you. Matching a specification and creator intent isn't what I want for my display. Which is not to say I want everything to look like an artifact laden comic book. But I like it a bit more saturated, bright, and I think some of the processing options this year perform well.
I agree in the end you have to go with what looks good to you. Me personally I try to get close to calibrated type values. However on this tv I’m trying something I wouldn’t have done in the past.

Using some of the processing options like smooth gradation on low and AI light sensor. I’m even trying clear cinema enabled on the cinema profile to try if I notice any motion issues as I adjust to OLED motion from plasma style processing.

I’m also hoping to get a professional cal done in the fall though. So until then I guess I can play with it and see

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
So are others getting that popping through Earc on their Denon surround sound? Low but very noticeable crackling hitting different speakers at random.

I’️m having issues with the magic remote going crazy with the volume Up and down since the update. It’️s just acting odd with my receiver.
Has the Earc always done this or just since the update?

This pandemic has made me watch a ton of material on the cx i got over 1000 hours on it now damn had it since March
What is some of the best material you have watched?
Only since the update. It worked perfect prior to this update

·
Registered
665 Posts
So are others getting that popping through Earc on their Denon surround sound? Low but very noticeable crackling hitting different speakers at random.

I’️m having issues with the magic remote going crazy with the volume Up and down since the update. It’️s just acting odd with my receiver.

Nothing here with my x4500h. I haven’️t installed the latest update for it yet that appeared last night. CX is on the latest. Should note I’️m only using eARC for internal apps. All my devices go through the AVR. don’️t know on the remote I’️m using a harmony 950.

I’d hold off on the CX update. My 4500h is having weird audio crackling issues if I switch inputs. The magic remote is acting odd too. If I tap the volume slightly it’ll go up a full DB instead of .5. If I hold it any longer it goes crazy fast. My TiVo remote works perfect still so it’s specific to something LG did.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I’d hold off on the CX update. My 4500h is having weird audio crackling issues if I switch inputs. The magic remote is acting odd too. If I tap the volume slightly it’ll go up a full DB instead of .5. If I hold it any longer it goes crazy fast. My TiVo remote works perfect still so it’s specific to something LG did.

I had already done the CX update. It was the new 4500h update I hadn’t done. Though I just did that about an hour ago. Don’t know on the remote. I use a harmony for everything.

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only other thing I've been able to think of is I know you said your panel is bad and is supposed to be getting replaced. I'm assuming that didn't happen yet? If not, there very well may be something wrong with it besides the flashing etc. and it's not displaying the way it should. I've had none of the issues you've mentioned with any HDR/Dolby Vision content on either of the Cinema settings for Dolby Vision or the HDR Filmmaker mode for regular HDR (essentially the Cinema mode without any extra processing, same brightness, OLED Light etc). Maybe try resetting those modes to their default settings and see if something was incorrect somewhere?

Either way, if that panel hasn't been replaced yet, I think I'd hold off on trying to tweak it or worry about settings anymore until after it's replaced. Just to make sure you're not having some other issues as well and didn't realize it. I don't know what TV you came from, but for me this TV is way more capable in all modes of getting much brighter than my VT60 series plasma could. I plan to watch a bunch of stuff I have in HDR this weekend now including with a bunch of dark scenes like Altered Carbon, The Expanse, some UHD discs like Matrix, Aquaman, Harry Potter, The Mummy trilogy (Brendan Fraser movies) so I'll let you know if I notice any issues of it seeming too dim.
I had my tv replaced already. Yeah there is no right or wrong. Some people like a normal picture some people like to dampen it right down. I’m far from using vivid. I turn all processing off and like to use the warm setting for colour temp. Not because I think I have to but because I like the picture. The HDR is ok in Cinema home with the Ai brightness activated which I learned activates the Dolby IQ. It just seems a little blown out and some points. I’m gonna stick with it and maybe improvements will come in time.

7301 - 7320 of 8560 Posts