AVS Forum banner

8541 - 8560 of 10958 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’ve just order the Sonos Beam, I know it’s not Atmos but I cant fit the Arc under my TV due to how low the tv is so the beam will go on the shelf bellow the tv. Has anyone had any experience with the beam? I’m really just looking for clearer dialogue when watching films and hoping this will help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you use the supplied bracket, the TV mounting pins go into slots and then you click the locking retainer in. These are not substantial enough to hold it if there is a lean. When you close the bracket the wings fold in and the magnet grabs with a noticeable click. I think it most secure to click it in, especially if where you live has any motion. So I would not recommend leaving the bracket out.

I think a safer approach would be a spacer, like 1/4" material at least the size of the bracket or larger. Secure that to wall well enough to hold in place while drilling mounting holes. Then mount bracket to that. It is still possible maybe likely that gravity will cause the bottom to lean towards the wall. Though if you have more of you spacer material you could locate near where lower corners are for it to rest against.

I'm not a structural engineer, but the spacer will put the load further out from the wall. Mounting a 3/4" piece of plywood the size of the TV, where the board is connected to wall studs in multiple places would be more secure (but also a lot more work and you would want to do it with bolt or screw heads counter sunk. You might want to get professional advice before doing either approach.

Another bracket ideally will connect to more than one wall stud. It would introduce similar wall load. The issue there is it likely affects the gallery look. But if its had to look at the side it might just appear as a deep picture frame. I think some folks might choose the CX if they were going this way.

Are you sure your wall is really that uneven?

On mine, I think the bottom is slightly out from the wall. I was intrigued by pictures I took as it looks like top is slightly away from wall. From picture, I think > 80% of the TV in middle is flush with the wall. From perspective of viewing the TV looks flat.
Thanks. Yea, I checked my wall with a straight edge and noticed a few raised spots. One on the left side is particular worse since there was a drywall repair done (a hole was patched, with a layer or two of drywall mud added so that it "looks" smooth).

Right now I'm thinking to getting the LG OLW480B mount, which is only 0.9 inch thick and can be extended out (but I think 0.9 inch off the wall is more than enough to avoid all the raised spots on the wall). I still prefer the GX to the CX because of the uniform thickness of the TV.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A streaming source is not the best for evaluating near blacks due to compression . My set is calibrated and is very clean in most sources . You would have never survived the year 2016 with an oled . If you are this unhappy why not get something else? Life is too short to be miserable imo . To be honest this is one of the most negative owners threads I have been a part of on AVS.

77CX YTTV AppleTv 4K Sony X800M2 Yamaha V685
Well, lots of people don’t watch disc material AT ALL. Including me.
I only watch content from streaming apps or 4K hdr content I download from the internet.

and I have seen with my own eyes how it can look in dark shows/movies with MUCH less posterization and colour banding.
I had a Panasonic GZ950 and that one was pretty good natively in this area. (Better than CX 😬)
But returned it for other reasons.

·
Registered
14 Posts
What do you guys think of SDR settings? RTings recommends using ISF Dark and changing the OLED light from 60 to 50 and the Contrast from 85 to 90, which I have done, it looks great but is there a consensus on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with ARC? I literally took the C7 out which worked fine and put the CX in its place with the same cords and I’m getting no sound at all from streaming sources out of ARC, I can only get audio when I use optical. I don’t know what I’m missing...
You mean ARC in general or eARC?
There are issues from built-in apps and eARC. It's even in the FAQ. In my case I don't have audio when eARC is enabled whenever built-in source doesn't give DD+. That's why Netflix works for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well....it is 2020 and everyone is an expert this year on every topic in general. 😂

I agree with you. This is hands down the best TV I have owned. I keep rewatching alot of the same movies and content because it looks so good. I think people just get freaked out and go looking for problems due to the cost as they want perfection for the $$$ they spend.

i think the best advice I saw a page or so ago was don’t go looking for these problems just enjoy the TV.
Same. This TV is by the far the best I've owned and revisiting old faves on it is gonna be a pleasure. Probably watched the mirror scene from John Wick 2 more than is healthy already😂

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
My B6 looks fantastic. Pretty sure a lot of you are way too picky!
I am sure it does was just saying there have been incremental improvements ever year . Trust me I am not a slide watcher , I never understood folks that get a tv and put slides up right away you are just asking for problems .

Reactions: jrref and Gabatta

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Well, lots of people don’t watch disc material AT ALL. Including me.
I only watch content from streaming apps or 4K hdr content I download from the internet.

and I have seen with my own eyes how it can look in dark shows/movies with MUCH less posterization and colour banding.
I had a Panasonic GZ950 and that one was pretty good natively in this area. (Better than CX )
But returned it for other reasons.
All I am saying is in most cases the source can make issues worse especially in near blacks that’s a fact. The rest of this is subjective and everyone has different tolerances .

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
168 Posts
What do you guys think of SDR settings? RTings recommends using ISF Dark and changing the OLED light from 60 to 50 and the Contrast from 85 to 90, which I have done, it looks great but is there a consensus on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The contrast part is interesting.
The best way to evaluate is by using the contrast test patterns with the flashing bars.
AFAIK, for OLED they should flash all the way up to 254, so if you set it to 90, you'll clip them much earlier and lose highlights data. Based on my tests, contrast = 85 was an accurate result to get the 254 bar barely visible flashing.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
The contrast part is interesting.
The best way to evaluate is by using the contrast test patterns with the flashing bars.
AFAIK, for OLED they should flash all the way up to 254, so if you set it to 90, you'll clip them much earlier and lose highlights data. Based on my tests, contrast = 85 was an accurate result to get the 254 bar barely visible flashing.
My contrast is 80 to avoid some rgb separation at the top end , my panel may be unique in that regard tho lol.

Reactions: jrref

·
Registered
759 Posts
You mean ARC in general or eARC?
There are issues from built-in apps and eARC. It's even in the FAQ. In my case I don't have audio when eARC is enabled whenever built-in source doesn't give DD+. That's why Netflix works for me.
Just regular ARC to a Pioneer SC-95. No audio at all from any of the onboard apps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K from non-HDR sources

I just returned a Samsung Q90t and replaced it with the LG 65CX. everything looks so much better! I have an OTA antenna and Apple TV 4K connected. I have noticed that anything coming through the Apple TV uses the Dolby Vision Picture mode (Cinema Home at the moment). YouTube TV looked washed out and dull on the Samsung, looks great on the LG. Does the LG apply some processing to non-HDR sources to mimic DV content, or what? should I stick with the default picture settings? If I change anything, would it apply to all content viewed with the Apple TV 4K?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve just order the Sonos Beam, I know it’s not Atmos but I cant fit the Arc under my TV due to how low the tv is so the beam will go on the shelf bellow the tv. Has anyone had any experience with the beam? I’m really just looking for clearer dialogue when watching films and hoping this will help.
I have a Sonos Beam + Sub + One SL's for my master bedroom setup. Started with the Beam alone and it was a dramatic improvement even before adding the other speakers. Shocking amount of sound from such a small package. Is it audiophile grade? Does it sound as good as my ancient PSB bookshelves and center do in the living room? No. But for clear dialogue, the Beam will do just fine.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I have a Sonos Beam + Sub + One SL's for my master bedroom setup. Started with the Beam alone and it was a dramatic improvement even before adding the other speakers. Shocking amount of sound from such a small package. Is it audiophile grade? Does it sound as good as my ancient PSB bookshelves and center do in the living room? No. But for clear dialogue, the Beam will do just fine.
Yeah, have same setup but Playbar instead - very good over optical. Just picked up an Arc to replace and have with Sub + surrounds...hoping it's a big step up again.

·
Vendor
27,096 Posts
Anyone else having trouble with ARC? I literally took the C7 out which worked fine and put the CX in its place with the same cords and I’m getting no sound at all from streaming sources out of ARC, I can only get audio when I use optical. I don’t know what I’m missing...
You changed part of the equation, meaning the TV. ARC is very touchy, you have good HDMI cables?

·
Registered
717 Posts
None whatsoever on my 65CX. I have eARC enabled, and get sound from all internal apps, connected devices to my tv, and my shield passed through my q80r soundbar.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know, this is this is confusing.

below are the 4k and the 120hz pull down options
View attachment 3025121

View attachment 3025122

Not sure why I can’t do 120hz.
I’m sure this has been answered already as I am reading the forum “late,” but anyway...

With the Xbox one x you have two choose between two options:

1. 4K at 60fps, OR 2. 1080p at 10hz.

if you select 120hz, the system defaults to the highest resolution it can handle at 120hz (which is 1080p.) If you go back and highlight 4K again after, the refresh rate will automatically be reduced to 60hz because that is the max it can produce at 4K.

Ideally, there would be two options: 1. 4K/60hz and 2. 1080/120hz. That would eliminate the confusion you have. My guess is that would cause issues for people with sets that cannot accept even a 1080 signal at 120hz, so they chose the method you see.

in other words, you have to choose whether to prioritize resolution OR refresh rate.

also, make sure your denon has extended hdmi enabled for the relevant ports.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Received a replacement 77" CX from Costco yesterday afternoon and was able to review the issues I was having on the previous display and watch a movie. The previous display had severe macro blocking and artifacts on all dark and near black content. It also showed black bar flashing on both HDR10 and Dolby Vision content. I should note that the sources for these issues was blu-ray and HDR10/Dolby Vision UHD discs.

The new display does not show any of these issues. Blacks no longer seem to animate in the shadows, no more macro blocking on disc sources, and the black bar flashing also appears to be gone now. I assume, as jjref had mentioned, perhaps the black levels out of the box were also raised as the perceived contact on this new model is superior in almost every way to the original unit.

It's too soon to tell regarding near black banding as the display has not yet hit 4 hours, but I did not notice any tinting on a white screen. Thank you all for the advice as I am much happier with the exchanged unit.

Reactions: chunon

·
Registered
LG CX 65” OLED | Samsung HW-N950 | Sony X800M2 | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Sony XBR-65x930e
144 Posts
I’m sure this has been answered already as I am reading the forum “late,” but anyway...

With the Xbox one x you have two choose between two options:

1. 4K at 60fps, OR 2. 1080p at 10hz.

if you select 120hz, the system defaults to the highest resolution it can handle at 120hz (which is 1080p.) If you go back and highlight 4K again after, the refresh rate will automatically be reduced to 60hz because that is the max it can produce at 4K.

Ideally, there would be two options: 1. 4K/60hz and 2. 1080/120hz. That would eliminate the confusion you have. My guess is that would cause issues for people with sets that cannot accept even a 1080 signal at 120hz, so they chose the method you see.

in other words, you have to choose whether to prioritize resolution OR refresh rate.

also, make sure your denon has extended hdmi enabled for the relevant ports.
You should be able to choose 1440P at 120HZ right now as well. But yea I think it’s there because they have to support all these different resolutions and rates. Maybe with the series X they will be able to only show what’s supported by the display device. We shall see.

8541 - 8560 of 10958 Posts