AVS Forum banner

8561 - 8580 of 12449 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
just realized I need to rethink my cable situation next gen if I want full 4K 120fps potential with both new consoles they need to be both directly connected to the TV instead of going through my HDMI switch. hmm...

·
Registered
53 Posts
I watched The Umberlla Academy Season 2 recently which was actually the first DV content I've seen. First of all I tried using second Cinema option (not sure which because it's in Polish), the one that is darker by default and I've got a lot of artifacts. Two great examples: scene where Vanya talks in barn and Diego's great escape. There were those things you call crushing black I think. I choose this Cinema option because first one was very bright. But now I changed again to it and lowered the brightness -3 and it was so much better. I really don't get those HDR issues...I thought HDR, and especially DV, was designed exactly to prevent picture issues and remove need to tinker with picture settings...

Anyway, I have one really huge issue with DV content in Netflix - font brightness. It glows so much that it hurt my eyes. Netflix don't give me a way to change it from white to something grey. The only thing is making it transparent but that is really unusable. So is there a way to fight this? Dark scenes with flashing texts are really annoying...In Panasonic UB820 there's a great function that can change the brightness of the font. Maybe here is something similar and I just didn't find it yet?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Dolby Vision on Apple TV 4K from non-HDR sources

I just returned a Samsung Q90t and replaced it with the LG 65CX. everything looks so much better! I have an OTA antenna and Apple TV 4K connected. I have noticed that anything coming through the Apple TV uses the Dolby Vision Picture mode (Cinema Home at the moment). YouTube TV looked washed out and dull on the Samsung, looks great on the LG. Does the LG apply some processing to non-HDR sources to mimic DV content, or what? should I stick with the default picture settings? If I change anything, would it apply to all content viewed with the Apple TV 4K?
On the Apple TV there is a setting that will allow the device to automatically switch to try and match whatever the source content is, be it HDR, Dolby Vision, standard 4k, etc. Sounds like your Apple TV is currently set to Dolby Vision so everything is being converted to Dolby Vision. For reference:

·
Registered
9,537 Posts
Anyway, I have one really huge issue with DV content in Netflix - font brightness. It glows so much that it hurt my eyes. Netflix don't give me a way to change it from white to something grey. The only thing is making it transparent but that is really unusable. So is there a way to fight this? Dark scenes with flashing texts are really annoying...In Panasonic UB820 there's a great function that can change the brightness of the font. Maybe here is something similar and I just didn't find it yet?
Do you mean the subtitle font? If so I'm stunned because it's one of the most configurable systems for subtitles I've ever seen! The subtitles options are on Netflix's website though, not copied to all the individual apps, so you won't find the options in the app.

("semi-transparent white" = grey!)

If you mean the main UI's font and not subtitles, it's only bright white whilst a DV item is playing, and that's the TV doing that.

·
Registered
LG CX 55” OLED
37 Posts
Received a replacement 77" CX from Costco yesterday afternoon and was able to review the issues I was having on the previous display and watch a movie. The previous display had severe macro blocking and artifacts on all dark and near black content. It also showed black bar flashing on both HDR10 and Dolby Vision content. I should note that the sources for these issues was blu-ray and HDR10/Dolby Vision UHD discs.

The new display does not show any of these issues. Blacks no longer seem to animate in the shadows, no more macro blocking on disc sources, and the black bar flashing also appears to be gone now. I assume, as jjref had mentioned, perhaps the black levels out of the box were also raised as the perceived contact on this new model is superior in almost every way to the original unit.

It's too soon to tell regarding near black banding as the display has not yet hit 4 hours, but I did not notice any tinting on a white screen. Thank you all for the advice as I am much happier with the exchanged unit.
I also have the issues you mentioned. Sometimes the macro blocking will be really bad. Do you think it is a good idea to get it replaced?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just regular ARC to a Pioneer SC-95. No audio at all from any of the onboard apps.
If you enabled the eARC you want to undo that for regular ARC to work (eARC uses wires intended for Ethernet in the cable for audio). The eARC switch is in the additional setting where you select the output device.

On the GX, if the eARC/ARC isn't available because other end isn't ready, it enables the internal speakers. If CX works same way you should get audio (though you could have the volume on TV all the way down). This might be a way to test further. Try disconnecting the ARC cable and see if you get sound playing app, if not try increasing TV volume. Thinking you will get sound. Reconnect the ARC cable and try again.

If the TV sound comes on, then TV and AVR are not seeing each other. If no sound then TV thinks there is an ARC connection. Try the output setting. Passthru is probably best in general. You would think "Auto" would be good, but some reported issues. PCM should but you will only get 2.0. If none work, try another cable as previously suggested (things break:(). Rechecking cabling connections on both ends is worth doing. You could also verify the AVR to TV works for Video by showing AVR setup menu with TV on Input2 (the TV's ARC/eARC) port.

Contact LG support if all else fails.

Good luck with your trouble shooting,

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I watched The Umberlla Academy Season 2 recently which was actually the first DV content I've seen. First of all I tried using second Cinema option (not sure which because it's in Polish), the one that is darker by default and I've got a lot of artifacts. Two great examples: scene where Vanya talks in barn and Diego's great escape. There were those things you call crushing black I think. I choose this Cinema option because first one was very bright. But now I changed again to it and lowered the brightness -3 and it was so much better. I really don't get those HDR issues...I thought HDR, and especially DV, was designed exactly to prevent picture issues and remove need to tinker with picture settings...

I'm almost finished watching the Umbrella Academy using the built in Netflix app and i have Zero, "0", Naught, absolutely No artifacts and or near black issues. Absolutely perfect. The reason why i mention this is because, most people initially put blame on the TV when it could be their Netflix Bandwidth, the external app they may be using or the set needs to be calibrated. Even if you have 1GBPS to your ISP, what counts is their bandwidth to Netflix. Many ISPs cheap out on the connection to Netflix. Same thing with Amazon. The result is poor streaming.

·
Banned
40 Posts
I'm happy with this TV because I came from a very old TV. But I'm also pointing on a fact, based on my observations on SDR and HDR contents. You are correct that a better judgement should be made when the TV is calibrated and not via streaming services.
Yet, most TV's are not calibrated by the average user and nowadays most consume contents via streaming services which means that these problems are easier to spot.
You're wasting your time talking to this guy. All I was doing (Like you) was outlining my experience and findings with the later builds of the 77" CX and it seemed to anger him to the point of "banning me" from commenting on any of his posts lol. He finds it offensive to hear anything negative about the CX and defends it as if he is married to one for better or worse 😂. There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting issues here if they are going to make people who are considering plugging their funds into one aware of what they are getting themselves into. It's not "negative" to be aware of problems that a $5,000.00 television may have on a production level, it is observant. And taking the time to share about issues regarding the CX here is informative to others, and helpful to oneself in order to find out more information about the issues. The CX is expected to be the result of LG realizing all of it's past mistakes and give us a gorgeous panel with little to nothing to make these posts about. If we have all these issues to make posts about, then me and you are not the ones for this guy to be upset with and say "leave me alone from now on" to. It should be LG he is sore with for giving us topics to post about such as these. I digress, please feel free to address me at any time, as I am highly detail oriented, have calibrated a lot of these (Mainly March/April builds, and now I am assessing the June/July and possibly August builds) and am aware of how compensation cycles work, how these panels dither and handle low level detail, and pretty much all non audio related issues. I'm happy to pick these panels apart with you Gil80 😉

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
You're wasting your time talking to this guy. All I was doing (Like you) was outlining my experience and findings with the later builds of the 77" CX and it seemed to anger him to the point of "banning me" from commenting on any of his posts lol. He finds it offensive to hear anything negative about the CX and defends it as if he is married to one for better or worse 😂. There is absolutely nothing wrong with posting issues here if they are going to make people who are considering plugging their funds into one aware of what they are getting themselves into. It's not "negative" be aware of problems that a $5,000.00 television may have on a production level, it is observant. And taking the time to share about issues regarding the CX here is informative to others, and helpful to oneself in order to find out more information about the issues. The CX is expected to be the result of LG realizing all of it's past mistakes and give us a gorgeous panel with little to nothing to make these posts about. If we have all these isdues to make posts about, then me and you are not the ones for this guy to be upset with and say "leave me alone from now on" to. It should be LG he is sore with for giving us topics to post about such as these. I digress, please feel free to address me at any time, as I am highly detail oriented, have calibrated a lot of these (Mainly March/April builds, and now I am assessing the June/July and possibly August builds) and am aware of how compensation cycles work, how these panels dither and handle low level detail, and pretty much all non audio related issues. I'm happy to pick these panels apart with you Gil80 😉
I can't believe you are still at this. It's ok to post problems, but you keep repeating over and over like no one is reading what you posted. Here's what i think. I've read your posts in great detail trying to figure out what you are experiencing. Other's have done the same and many disagree with your assumptions and observations. I'm now suspect of your postings because after i recommended posting your screen uniformity experiences on this thread, OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting, where you will probably find someone who can probably tell you what you are seeing since there are a lot of very knowledgeable users specifically on this topic, not one post. But you continue to troll this thread with the same observations. I just don't understand but don't be surprised if people start ignoring you here.

·
Registered
LG CX 55” OLED
37 Posts
I'm almost finished watching the Umbrella Academy using the built in Netflix app and i have Zero, "0", Naught, absolutely No artifacts and or near black issues. Absolutely perfect. The reason why i mention this is because, most people initially put blame on the TV when it could be their Netflix Bandwidth, the external app they may be using or the set needs to be calibrated. Even if you have 1GBPS to your ISP, what counts is their bandwidth to Netflix. Many ISPs cheap out on the connection to Netflix. Same thing with Amazon. The result is poor streaming.
I have perfectly stable fast internet.And I experience issues with near blacks also.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I also have the issues you mentioned. Sometimes the macro blocking will be really bad. Do you think it is a good idea to get it replaced?
What kind of content are you seeing the issue on? I can only speak to my particular use case, which was with disc based sources. If you are seeing this on Netflix or other streaming sources, then there are many factors at play that could contribute to the artifacts you are seeing, as jjref has mentioned. In my particular case, the replacement doesn't seem to have the issues I witnessed, but my issue could have been resolved with a calibration if it was simply that the black levels were incorrect. That being said, even when standing up close with the exact same settings, I do not see artifacts in the blacks with some of the same content on the other display. For me, the viewing experience is no longer impacted by distracting artifacts and black bar flashing. At least not from what little I've seen thus far.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
I have perfectly stable fast internet.And I experience issues with near blacks also.
I'm sure your internet is stable but if the links between your ISP and the Netflix hub are lacking, your Netflix app will throttle down and you will see artifacts. When streaming Netflix, can you look to see what the streaming speed is? I forget which remote button tells you this. Near blacks can be affected by calibration and or streaming quality. Remember i posted about black levels on different sets from the factory?

·
Banned
40 Posts
I can't believe you are still at this. It's ok to post problems, but you keep repeating over and over like no one is reading what you posted. Here's what i think. I've read your posts in great detail trying to figure out what you are experiencing. Other's have done the same and many disagree with your assumptions and observations. I'm now suspect of your postings because after i recommended posting your screen uniformity experiences on this thread, OLED Screen Uniformity Discussion-Banding and Vignetting, where you will probably find someone who can probably tell you what you are seeing since there are a lot of very knowledgeable users specifically on this topic, not one post. But you continue to troll this thread with the same observations. I just don't understand but don't be surprised if people start ignoring you here.
Yeah, I'm definitely not a troll, and there are more than a few others experiencing the issues that I am, but if I am rocking the proverbial AVS boat here that is most definitely not my intent. And I am only responding to others experiences at this point (Have been for quite a few of my posts now) and yes, you and a couple of others I guess do not see this as an issue, but I and quite a few others do. I respect your opinion Jrref, especially since you work with D-Nice so I definitely will not argue with your opinions. Could you do me a favor though and have D-Nice look into the cross hatching streaks on white and bright content? I'm severely curious to hear his take on it because I know how familiar he is with a poorly applied anti-reflective coating.

·
Banned
40 Posts
Oh, and off-topic, do you know what the new update that just became available addresses, and if it causes any problems? Does it do anything about the raised Dolbyvision blacks? Haven't seen a single soul post about the new update yet...

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Yeah, I'm definitely not a troll, and there are more than a few others experiencing the issues that I am, but if I am rocking the proverbial AVS boat here that is most definitely not my intent. And I am only responding to others experiences at this point (Have been for quite a few of my posts now) and yes, you and a couple of others I guess do not see this as an issue, but I and quite a few others do. I respect your opinion Jrref, especially since you work with D-Nice so I definitely will not argue with your opinions. Could you do me a favor though and have D-Nice look into the cross hatching streaks on white and bright content? I'm severely curious to hear his take on it because I know how familiar he is with a poorly applied anti-reflective coating.
I haven't heard from D-Nice in a while and my guess it's because he's busy working but i'm sure he will be back soon. I've spoken with him back in March about some of these uniformity issues and we can only guess since no one knows for sure. But again i would post over in the Uniformity thread because there may be someone there who has better information.

·
Registered
LG CX 55” OLED
37 Posts
What kind of content are you seeing the issue on? I can only speak to my particular use case, which was with disc based sources. If you are seeing this on Netflix or other streaming sources, then there are many factors at play that could contribute to the artifacts you are seeing, as jjref has mentioned. In my particular case, the replacement doesn't seem to have the issues I witnessed, but my issue could have been resolved with a calibration if it was simply that the black levels were incorrect. That being said, even when standing up close with the exact same settings, I do not see artifacts in the blacks with some of the same content on the other display. For me, the viewing experience is no longer impacted by distracting artifacts and black bar flashing. At least not from what little I've seen thus far.
That’s great.
I am having issues on streaming sources though. On Netflix especially because that’s what i use most.
I'm sure your internet is stable but if the links between your ISP and the Netflix hub are lacking, your Netflix app will throttle down and you will see artifacts. When streaming Netflix, can you look to see what the streaming speed is? I forget which remote button tells you this. Near blacks can be affected by calibration and or streaming quality. Remember i posted about black levels on different sets from the factory?
its the tree dot button to the right of the 0 button. I get 15.25 Mbps. I think this is the max because my brother also got max 15.25Mbps.
I think I’m replacing my cx and hope for the best

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
Oh, and off-topic, do you know what the new update that just became available addresses, and if it causes any problems? Does it do anything about the raised Dolbyvision blacks? Haven't seen a single soul post about the new update yet...
Someone posted the changes the other day. Check the LG web site. No the Dolby Vision fix is not in this release. I believe they are still waiting on Dolby since it's their issue.

·
Registered
LG CX 55” OLED
37 Posts
That’s great.
I am having issues on streaming sources though. On Netflix especially because that’s what i use most.

its the tree dot button to the right of the 0 button. I get 15.25 Mbps. I think this is the max because my brother also got max 15.25Mbps.

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
That’s great.

I think I’m replacing my cx and hope for the best
That's fine then. Without looking at the set i'm sorry but i can't tell you anything more specific about what might be happening.

8561 - 8580 of 12449 Posts