AVS Forum banner

8601 - 8620 of 12708 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey

So there is 3 formats that im seeing HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision (aka. DV) for the movies i get.
I know that the tv supports DV but can it also play HDR10 content in HDR mode?
And for the HDR10+ Will it play those as a HDR10 (like a downscale or something) or will it not enable HDR at all?

I'm just a bit confused on how the tv will handle these formats in the .mkv file. I know I want to aim for DV but if that isn't available what's the next best HDR to use HDR10 or HDR10+?

tv is a LG OLED77CX

·
Registered
25 Posts
LG CX doesn't support HDR10+. Most important thing is that the TV can show good HDR10, the other modes is just a nice extra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I would like to know if this very slight red tinting of whites and light greys is an optical illusion or part of the panel, or if something is wrong with my panel.

I bought an "open box excellent" LG CX OLED 48" from BestBuy with 185 hours of use clocked on it.

I am using my CX as a PC Monitor, so I am viewing it from closer up, (about 25 inches from the screen).

I notice that whites have a very very slight reddish tint at the top center (0 ° ) of the screen when it is being viewed from about the same level as my eyes. Whereas, at the bottom of the screen when being viewed from below eye level (still at 0 ° angle from my eyes), whites are "pure white", are brighter, and don't have the same reddish tint.
This is also the case for whites at the top left or right sides of the screen, they are brighter/"pure white" and don't have the same reddish tint that appears in the center.

I notice that if I move left or right from the top center (viewing the center of the screen from a wider angle, as it moves from 0° straight on, to 45°, to 90° ), the reddish tint no longer appears there, and moves toward wherever making a 0° angle with my eye level would be.

Is this a normal optical illusion of the panel used in CX 48"? It doesn't seem to capture on camera at all (trying to take a picture with One Plus 8 Pro main camera). I could return it to Best Buy still and swap it for a new model and just pay $100 more. But I would b w/o a screen for a few weeks.

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Normal, you are seeing the effects of the panel filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Normal, you are seeing the effects of the panel filter.
Okay, that's good to hear. Thanks! What exactly is happening with the filter that causes this if you don't mind elaborating?

I really just wanted to confirm whether it was normal or not so I could decide if I want to return the panel and swap for a brand new one. But it looks like I don't have to if it's normal!

·
Registered
6,975 Posts
Okay, that's good to hear. Thanks! What exactly is happening with the filter that causes this if you don't mind elaborating?

I really just wanted to confirm whether it was normal or not so I could decide if I want to return the panel and swap for a brand new one. But it looks like I don't have to if it's normal!
It's just the way the OLED panel filters are. Again if you go over to the Uniformity thread someone will be able to explain what your eye is seeing.

Reactions: chunon

·
Registered
9,568 Posts
Hey

So there is 3 formats that im seeing HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision (aka. DV) for the movies i get.
I know that the tv supports DV but can it also play HDR10 content in HDR mode?
Yes. On the TV "HDR mode" is misnamed, because "HDR" is the Umbrella Term used to describe all forms of HDR, and so it shouldn't be used to describe only HDR10. Any yet, this is precisely the mistake that LG have made :(.
When the TV says "HDR" (eg in the Picture Mode menu) it should really be called "HDR10 or HLG mode". :)
When showing HLG, the TV's pop-up "toast" says "HLG HDR". So the main very badly wrong thing is the pop-up for "HDR10" which just says "HDR". But once you know about it, it's ok.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Has this happened to anybody with a CX or BX? When I turned on my panel today, there was a message in the upper right hand corner of the screen that flashed briefly. It seemed to indicate there were new apps in the app store. Then, and without warning, the screen went completely blank. I could hear the program. But there was nothing showing. I had to click around on the settings, but to no avail until I went into "Picture Test." Even though the picture test picture didn't show up, the program finally appeared. This is a brand new panel (less than a week old). I'm not quite sure what to make of this.

·
Registered
LG CX 65” OLED | Samsung HW-N950 | Sony X800M2 | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Sony XBR-65x930e
238 Posts
Included Ethernet is 100Mbit interface, if you wanna 4K with hight bit rate you will need Gigabit interface.
The WiFi should be more than enough even for high bitrate. What’s the max bitrate your looking for that the WiFi can’t support?

I see a ton of posts about network speed to this TV. Let’s say you are not streaming using the internal apps but pulling from a media server or some other internal device in your home. What content are you using and what is the needed bitrate to enjoy the content smoothly? I thought most content maxed at let’s say ballpark 150 mbps and I’m not sure anything available hits that. Maybe this is some custom formats or I may be missing something and I’m interested in learning and seeing what this content looks like 😁

·
Registered
12 Posts
The WiFi should be more than enough even for high bitrate. What’s the max bitrate your looking for that the WiFi can’t support?

I see a ton of posts about network speed to this TV. Let’s say you are not streaming using the internal apps but pulling from a media server or some other internal device in your home. What content are you using and what is the needed bitrate to enjoy the content smoothly? I thought most content maxed at let’s say ballpark 150 mbps and I’m not sure anything available hits that. Maybe this is some custom formats or I may be missing something and I’m interested in learning and seeing what this content looks like
For instance, you have Gemini Man, 4K HDR 60 FPS which requires almost 90mbps bitrate. I think it has some peaks above 130-140mbps and those are figures CX can not manage neither WiFi 5Ghz nor USB Gigabit adapter.

I did not know anyone able to play these kind of videos via DLNA or Plex.

Frustrating.

P.D: These videos in a C9 run smoothly...

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,506 Posts
Hi, I would like to know if this very slight red tinting of whites and light greys is an optical illusion or part of the panel, or if something is wrong with my panel.
It absolutely could be a optical illusion. OLED panels do sometimes have a tint as well though, its part of the technology. The only time there is something wrong in this regard is if the owner of the TV can not live with this tint. In the end it is up to you.

·
Registered
LG CX 65” OLED | Samsung HW-N950 | Sony X800M2 | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Sony XBR-65x930e
238 Posts
For instance, you have Gemini Man, 4K HDR 60 FPS which requires almost 90mbps bitrate. I think it has some peaks above 130-140mbps and those are figures CX can not manage neither WiFi 5Ghz nor USB Gigabit adapter.

Frustrating.

This helps me understand thank you. I get between 300Mbps and 400Mbps bandwidth wise for the TV using WiFi. I am able to test this right from my router to this device.

I don’t think I have any content to test but I’ll see if I can find something and will report out.

·
Premium Member
12,491 Posts

Frustrating.

I'm sorry, this is silly. You are going on about a display not being able to play a full 4K blu-ray or rip? Buy a Dune Pro II, Shield or ATV4K and be done with it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Do you mean the subtitle font? If so I'm stunned because it's one of the most configurable systems for subtitles I've ever seen! The subtitles options are on Netflix's website though, not copied to all the individual apps, so you won't find the options in the app.
View attachment 3025712

("semi-transparent white" = grey!)

If you mean the main UI's font and not subtitles, it's only bright white whilst a DV item is playing, and that's the TV doing that.
My fault. I forgot to mention that it was the first thing I did to try to fix my issue.
Unfortunately those settings, even if quite big, doesn't have what I need. There's no grey colour or brightness. And transparency makes subtitles very hard to read in brighter scenes.

I'm almost finished watching the Umbrella Academy using the built in Netflix app and i have Zero, "0", Naught, absolutely No artifacts and or near black issues. Absolutely perfect. The reason why i mention this is because, most people initially put blame on the TV when it could be their Netflix Bandwidth, the external app they may be using or the set needs to be calibrated. Even if you have 1GBPS to your ISP, what counts is their bandwidth to Netflix. Many ISPs cheap out on the connection to Netflix. Same thing with Amazon. The result is poor streaming.
Yeah, that maybe true but I think I can reproduce it quite well. But then again my TV had only basic calibration (for IFS dark mode) so it maybe also this. Even though it's still weird. Good calibration costs a lot... Almost ⅕ of the TV do it's beyond my wallet after buying TV and UHD player :p
I'll do the Netflix speed test just to make sure.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Your problem has more to do with your viewing distance. At such a close proximity the viewing angle plays a major factor. I’m at about twice the relative distance (77” at 8 feet) which works much better. These OLED screens have a very good viewing angle compared to the competition, but you’re pushing it. The reddish tint itself can be corrected for.

8601 - 8620 of 12708 Posts