AVS Forum banner

10921 - 10940 of 12802 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello everyone... I am back on the market after many years... and I am about to be completely nut after reading thousands of posts and watching hundreds of reviews. I was about to pull the trigger for a CX 77 but I am starting to freak out after reading what seems to be frequent panel issues. Am I wrong, or is it because there is so much LG out there that we may be seeing more complaints. I am coming from a Sony LED 60" 2010. I have a dedicated room (low light and no windows) where I can move my couch anywhere from 6' to 15' from the TV. I hesitated a lot between a 75" Samsung Q90T, the Sony A8H (unfortunately not available in 77") and the CX 77. Finally, I believe the LG would be my choice since the Sony A9G is simply way too expensive in Canada.... Would you LG users say that LG is as reliable as Sony? I understand the Panel lottery but what are the chance to get a good panel? By the way... I am watching movies, series (Netflix, Apple Tv) and Sports, mostly Football, Hockey, Baseball, Tennis and Golf. Am I making a good choice... I would imagine that any of those 3-4 models will be a monster update compared to my old Sony...

Thanks a lot for your input.
Get the cx 77. Best pq besides a Sony oled. Also LG has narrowed the gap with Sony’s class leading motion processing. I mostly use netflix and apple tv to watch all my movies in my library. I also watch football and basketball, with some occasional gaming on ps4 pro or switch.

I initially had macroblocking and raised blacks my first week owning the tv. But I believe updates and pixel refreshing when the tv is off has alleviated those problems. TV has been flawless since.

If I wanted to nitpick, only cons are expensive, too dark in very dark scenes when gaming (would not recommend for competitive gamer that plays a lot of dark games, i only play single player games so not too big of an issue for me), and internal speaker bass struggles on higher volume (just use volume below 70 or buy a soundbar).

If you can afford the 77 cx, its worth it if you want the best. Webos works perfectly for me, and watching movies especially in hdr has been an absolute treat. Fantastic product! No regrets even with high price tag.

·
Registered
27 Posts
77 delivered last week and initial banding tests showed no visible signs of banding. After 33 hours on panel, all of which were total mix of content types with absolutely no static content, the panel has developed a clear band on the left side shown here with green but is clearly visible with everything from 5% gray on up. I'm assuming this is a return candidate? What do you guys think?

View attachment 3039053
Give it a week or so to see if it clears. I initially had two faint vertical lines on the right side of my tv on 5% grayscale, but after a few days it disappeared. Uniformity is perfect now on all grayscales.

Your line is definitely thicker and more visible then mine was. Hopefully it clears soon. If not definitely get that exchanged.

·
Vendor
27,527 Posts
I wonder how many returns and exchanges for panel issues, have happened for LG over the years? LG has to eat this cost somehow. I wonder if this is one reason OLED prices haven't come down more.
We are just the small majority on this fine forum, 90-95% of TV's are just sold and enjoyed........

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just received my CX 77 this past weekend, and I have to be honest, to my eyes the TV looks practically perfect. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that when using my Spears & Munsil Blu-ray (albeit 1080p only played from my non-pro PS4), on the Sharpness chart, I am unable to see the far right hand white edge of the outer rectangle, which leads me to think that I am losing the slightest amount of picture on the right side, though a negligible amount I admit. I’ve fiddled with the size / aspect ratio settings, but can’t seem to solve it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Just received my CX 77 this past weekend, and I have to be honest, to my eyes the TV looks practically perfect. The only thing that strikes me as odd is that when using my Spears & Munsil Blu-ray (albeit 1080p only played from my non-pro PS4), on the Sharpness chart, I am unable to see the far right hand white edge of the outer rectangle, which leads me to think that I am losing the slightest amount of picture on the right side, though a negligible amount I admit. I’ve fiddled with the size / aspect ratio settings, but can’t seem to solve it. Any ideas?

View attachment 3039317
It is just the Pixel Shift function that rotates the entire screen randomly in an orbital fashion to help prevent burn in of static elements.

You can turn it off to view that pattern and all will look normal. If you leave it on and check the pattern again another time, you’ll see either the other side or top/bottom line will be missing.

Nothing to worry about

Reactions: Gil80

·
Registered
56 Posts
Get the cx 77. Best pq besides a Sony oled. Also LG has narrowed the gap with Sony’s class leading motion processing. I mostly use netflix and apple tv to watch all my movies in my library. I also watch football and basketball, with some occasional gaming on ps4 pro or switch.

I initially had macroblocking and raised blacks my first week owning the tv. But I believe updates and pixel refreshing when the tv is off has alleviated those problems. TV has been flawless since.

If I wanted to nitpick, only cons are expensive, too dark in very dark scenes when gaming (would not recommend for competitive gamer that plays a lot of dark games, i only play single player games so not too big of an issue for me), and internal speaker bass struggles on higher volume (just use volume below 70 or buy a soundbar).

If you can afford the 77 cx, its worth it if you want the best. Webos works perfectly for me, and watching movies especially in hdr has been an absolute treat. Fantastic product! No regrets even with high price tag.

I thank you very for your time providing me this very useful info. I am not a gamer, not at all. So, I guess the CX 77 will a very good performer in my dedicated dark room to watch, movies, series and all kind of sports. Anyway, as I said, compared to my 10 years old Sony LED, I imagine it should be a monster upgrade :)
Thanks again

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Quick question regarding 24fps motion handling on the CX while I wait for it. I'm very sensitive to SOE. On my C7 I mostly have truemotion off, real cinema on which of course will leave some 24fps stutter. Sometimes I will switch on truemotion user with de-judder at 2 to smooth panning shots a bit but even with that I notice intermittent SOE. I know motion is better on the CX but does that also apply to basic real cinema with true motion off? Will 24fps have any less stutter than my C7 with just real cinema and no truemotion? Thanks.

·
Registered
286 Posts
slightly off topic but has anyone watched the show "Upload" on amazon prime? its listed as HDR but watching the show it looks absolutely terrible, so much that I turned HDR off on my apple tv to watch it, almost like it was badly converted from SDR to HDR. anyone else experience this?
I thought they just made the colors excessively saturated and garish in the upload world. I use Prime app on the TV. Liked it enough that waiting for season 2.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
I wonder how many returns and exchanges for panel issues, have happened for LG over the years? LG has to eat this cost somehow. I wonder if this is one reason OLED prices haven't come down more.
***I've made this point a gazillion times. It's not a profitable model, IMHO. LG Display has six straight quarters of losses. While the pandemic has been the cause of most of the financial problems (weaker demand for TV's & smartphones) - - constantly returning OLED panels, even if it's a smaller percentage of buyers, doesn't help their situation.

LG Display also ended their production of LCD panels (30%+ revenue source) due to the glut in the industry. Since LG Display is really the ONLY supplier of OLED panels - - here's hoping that they get their quality control issues corrected to right the financial ship. Not having choices makes it expensive for all consumers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Question about SDR content

I'm seeing raised blacks on SDR on my new panel.

This manifests when a dark screen, like Credits or cut scenes, are shown. I tested this with the new Netflix title "The Last Thing He Wanted"

It is visible on the entire screen.

The brightness is set to 50. I used the blinking bars test pattern and seems that 50 is the correct setting.
When the screen should be black, I see it like a 1% grey slide is on.

Can someone recommend an SDR content that is known to have proper blacks, so I can test it on my screen?
I have the same problem but with all type of content ( SDR, HDR and DV), in the Netflix movie #Alive (SDR) in the ending credits bottom half is black the upper one is kinda grey.

Im still waiting for a fix, hope the next fw update do it.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
slightly off topic but has anyone watched the show "Upload" on amazon prime? its listed as HDR but watching the show it looks absolutely terrible, so much that I turned HDR off on my apple tv to watch it, almost like it was badly converted from SDR to HDR. anyone else experience this?
What was terrible about it? I gave it about a 20 min peek last night through the internal app and it did seem kinda dim and too contrasty or something. The picture itself looked sharp other than that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What was terrible about it? I gave it about a 20 min peek last night through the internal app and it did seem kinda dim and too contrasty or something. The picture itself looked sharp other than that.
@macmane Where is the FW update you promised, you know...the big one? You have 8 days before I write you a STRONGLY worded letter my friend :p

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
@macmane Where is the FW update you promised, you know...the big one? You have 8 days before I write you a STRONGLY worded letter my friend :p
Lololol LG supposedly have been working on an update coming in the next couple of weeks to address the gaming issues and hopefully the other issues with the TV. I just saw a video from Vincent Teoh confirming it. Stay tuned...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hello everyone... I am back on the market after many years... and I am about to be completely nut after reading thousands of posts and watching hundreds of reviews. I was about to pull the trigger for a CX 77 but I am starting to freak out after reading what seems to be frequent panel issues. Am I wrong, or is it because there is so much LG out there that we may be seeing more complaints. I am coming from a Sony LED 60" 2010. I have a dedicated room (low light and no windows) where I can move my couch anywhere from 6' to 15' from the TV. I hesitated a lot between a 75" Samsung Q90T, the Sony A8H (unfortunately not available in 77") and the CX 77. Finally, I believe the LG would be my choice since the Sony A9G is simply way too expensive in Canada.... Would you LG users say that LG is as reliable as Sony? I understand the Panel lottery but what are the chance to get a good panel? By the way... I am watching movies, series (Netflix, Apple Tv) and Sports, mostly Football, Hockey, Baseball, Tennis and Golf. Am I making a good choice... I would imagine that any of those 3-4 models will be a monster update compared to my old Sony...

Thanks a lot for your input.
I have a 77CX that just passed 240 hours of use. I have not noticed any panel issues and am very happy with the panel so far. Keep in mind that those that have no problems or don't notice issues are unlikely to post in forums talking about how happy they are with the set. Consequently problems and issues almost always seem to be more prevalent, particularly more so in frequency as the thread matures. My viewing environment is both daylight with side windows and nighttime in a darkened room. The 77CX excels in either circumstance. This is the best out of the box TV I have ever owned!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 77CX that just passed 240 hours of use. I have not noticed any panel issues and am very happy with the panel so far. Keep in mind that those that have no problems or don't notice issues are unlikely to post in forums talking about how happy they are with the set. Consequently problems and issues almost always seem to be more prevalent, particularly more so in frequency as the thread matures. My viewing environment is both daylight with side windows and nighttime in a darkened room. The 77CX excels in either circumstance. This is the best out of the box TV I have ever owned!
Exactly what I was hoping to hear... Thank you very much.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
I have the same great results with my lowly 65”

·
Registered
457 Posts
it just looked very flat and dim, almost like I was wearing sunglasses. it reminded me of content forced to have HDR that should actually be SDR

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm keeping my CX! I've been on the fense primarily due to the fact that my 55 inch B7 is still a fantastic TV and I don't think the CX is a huge leap in quality over my B7. But while the package isn't as clean as LG usually is, I do think there is a boost in image quality and frankly the B7 is LG's "bastard stepchild" at this point as other than the occassional firmware update, it's not supported by LG at all anymore. I think the CX is a solid, well rounded TV. As I said before why bother waiting until next year for TVs to implement the features the CX already has? And what will inevitably happen will be everyone will be disappointed in next year's TVs and you'll have the same AV idiots saying, "Well, gee LG is trash and we have super dooper Mini LED, QD Oled, blah, blah..." I'd rather get something and enjoy it now. I have the BB Geeksquad Warranty so if something comes along that's truly better I can always bring up my Wifi issues and exchange it. But even my WiFi issues seems to have stabalized and I haven's had any drops in the last few days. Ethernet still doesn't work. As far as no DTS Support, well I've had 2 pieces of content where that was an issue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Lololol LG supposedly have been working on an update coming in the next couple of weeks to address the gaming issues and hopefully the other issues with the TV. I just saw a video from Vincent Teoh confirming it. Stay tuned...
Is this like, "Stay tuned HDMI 2.1 features will be added to the Sony 900h soon...." :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
New firmware update v. 03.11.05 on the LG website.
Improved the HbbTV app not running when switching channels intermittently

10921 - 10940 of 12802 Posts