AVS Forum banner

11221 - 11240 of 12791 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't have Netflix, but downloaded both the HDR10 and DV MP4 encodes that are freely available and they both look great playing through Emby on my Shield. Looks solid black and the little bits of dust or whatever that float behind him are the only bit of light in the darkness aside from him and his flashlight. Has anyone having issues downloaded the MP4s? Do they behave any different than streaming from Netflix?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
May I ask you to post a link to those free Meridian download files?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am new here. The question that I am asking might have been answered before, but I don't know how to find it.
I bought my LG OLED55 cx from Costco few weeks ago. My AV receiver has no hdmi input, so I am using optical cable connecting to tv. I found that I do not have DD 5.1 digital signal. 2 channel digital is only signal that I got so far.

·
Registered
33 Posts
On some scenes with a lot of gray, my TV looks kind of washed out. It seems like some grays are just brighter than they should be and it reduces the contrast. I noticed this in games too. But like you, I see the issue outside of DV as well. I really don’t see how this can be fixed with a firmware update.

As far as I know they only acknowledged the specific issue with DV.
I've noticed this as well. I've gamed extensively on a B7, C8, and now the CX, and I've been trying to ascertain what exactly looks different about the CX's image at times. It does seem as though certain greys are a bit overemphasized or blown out in some way, and I find that the overall image sometimes does seem a bit more washed out than my previous TV's.

I also have noticed a decent amount of colour banding on my CX, as well as the harsh transitions from areas of grey/black. Borders between shades take on a very scalloped look in a lot of cases.

Overall I'm happy with the TV and this one seems to have the best uniformity of the three LG OLEDs I've owned. It certainly seems to have its own quirks though.

·
Registered
475 Posts
I am new here. The question that I am asking might have been answered before, but I don't know how to find it.
I bought my LG OLED55 cx from Costco few weeks ago. My AV receiver has no hdmi input, so I am using optical cable connecting to tv. I found that I do not have DD 5.1 digital signal. 2 channel digital is only signal that I got so far.
I think you have to have Optical only selection (not Optical + Internal Speakers) to get 5.1. Just make sure you have Optical only selected.

·
Registered
LG CX 48, LG CX 65, LG SN11RG, nVidia Shield TV Pro, Google TV, XOX, Switch, nVidia RTX 2070S FE
387 Posts
I have been retesting some of the Dolby Vision content in a pitch black room. I am unable to reproduce the raised blacks I was experiencing previously in Netflix on the built-in app. I tested Stranger Thing S3E3 and The Meridian at 7 min mark. There is still some posterization on The Meridian but not as bad as pictured here. I am trying both Dolby Vision Cinema Home at default with Brightness 50. Do you think the Dolby Vision issues may be specific to some streaming devices people are using? I have an nVidia Shield and could test that as well at some point.

Edit: I tried with Dolby Vision Cinema at default and I'm not seeing the raised blacks but posterization issues are worse than with Cinema Home. The Vizio OLED produced better near blacks on its Calibrated Dark mode, though.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I have been retesting some of the Dolby Vision content in a pitch black room. I am unable to reproduce the raised blacks I was experiencing previously in Netflix on the built-in app. I tested Stranger Thing S3E3 and The Meridian at 7 min mark. There is still some posterization on The Meridian but not as bad as pictured here. I am using Dolby Vision Cinema Home at default with Brightness 50. Do you think the Dolby Vision issues may be specific to some streaming devices people are using? I have an nVidia Shield and could test that as well at some point.
Dolby Cinema Home shows perfect or close to perfect black levels. Its the Regular Cinema version ie the most accurate PM.in a dark room thats trash

·
Premium Member
12,492 Posts
Some observations coming from the A9G. The CX just seems to be brighter on day scenes, which I guess goes along with the rtings nut readings between the two.

I haven’t gotten into much hdr yet

Real cinema on and cinema clear trumotion is very good. I can’t see any difference between this and my motion flow settings. In the past LGs were bad st times, phasing footballs, interpolation errors, double image edges when panning. So far on 1080i 60 and 1080p 24 it looks good. My last LG was an E6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
LG CX 65” OLED | Samsung HW-N950 | Sony X800M2 | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Sony XBR-65x930e
241 Posts
I have been retesting some of the Dolby Vision content in a pitch black room. I am unable to reproduce the raised blacks I was experiencing previously in Netflix on the built-in app. I tested Stranger Thing S3E3 and The Meridian at 7 min mark. There is still some posterization on The Meridian but not as bad as pictured here. I am trying both Dolby Vision Cinema Home at default with Brightness 50. Do you think the Dolby Vision issues may be specific to some streaming devices people are using? I have an nVidia Shield and could test that as well at some point.

Edit: I tried with Dolby Vision Cinema at default and I'm not seeing the raised blacks but posterization issues are worse than with Cinema Home. The Vizio OLED produced better near blacks on its Calibrated Dark mode, though.
I don’t think it’s streaming device specific. I have tested it with my set on 4 different devices including internal Netflix. SDR is pure black but HDR and DV have the posterization issues. I do think the HDR is cleaner though.

Looking forward to seeing how the FW(hopefully soon, crossing fingers) impacts this one way of the other.

On another note. Watching OTA Football and this set is freaking awesome 😎.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Dolby Cinema Home shows perfect or close to perfect black levels. Its the Regular Cinema version ie the most accurate PM.in a dark room thats trash
Yes! Makes no sense to me lol. After I autocalibrated my cx, I put it in DV cinema mode. Switched to cinema home and it’s night and day better.

So much for accuracy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Finally got her set up in my gaming room and tinkered with the settings a little bit before grabbing some grub.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
27,525 Posts
I say "Bogus" for this review because first, you have to set the white point on both sets the same which didn't look like that was done and HDR Cinema is the most accurate PM on the LG Not Cinema Home.

Also what was that grid like pattern on the Visio? Was it in the picture or something to do with the camera?

When you compare both TVs you really need a reference to see which is more accurate or at least measure them. That first comparison with the gray scale bars is easily fixed on the LG and it was probably like that because the PM was Cinema Home.

Just my personal opinion.
Oh we definitely need more reviews.......

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi all, UK user here. I’ve had my CX for about 6 weeks now & have to say I’ve been running pretty hot & cold with it. It’s great for gaming but the picture processing leaves an awful lot to be desired.
Ive noticed lots of colour banding & posterisation in SDR & HDR. Very disappointing for such an expensive TV.. Just tried the Meridian clip as mentioned on here & it look absolutely awful. Lots of posterisation in the sky in the outside shots & in the cave scene the raised blacks were terrible in both Cinema & Cinema home picture modes. Setting brightness to 49 definitely masks the problem of the raised blacks for me as others have said.
Many of you here reporting these issues but interestingly some of aren’t. What’s the general feeling here? Are we awaiting a firmware fix for all of these issues? Some members have mentioned getting their panels replaced cured this problem. Should I be contacting LG?

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me, i have meridian "issue" only if i am watching Netflix directly from the TV's apps, i didnt have any issue (exactly same settings) watching it on an Apple TV's netflix apps... for me this is not a panel problem

The Same with Snowpiercer ep4 19-24min, i have a lot of macroblocking watching it on TV's app but not in Apple TV's app...

·
Registered
15 Posts
For me, i have meridian "issue" only if i am watching Netflix directly from the TV's apps, i didnt have any issue (exactly same settings) watching it on an Apple TV's netflix apps... for me this is not a panel problem

The Same with Snowpiercer ep4 19-24min, i have a lot of macroblocking watching it on TV's app but not in Apple TV's app...
That’s interesting. Thank you. Just tested the Altered Carbon scene & it looked terrible also. I only have an Xbox One X with the Netflix app. I’ll see how it looks through that tomorrow. Would be strange for it to be a panel problem when so many people are experiencing it. AV forums did mention the raised blacks problem in their review a few months back. Not seen anyone mention the posterisation in a review though. I’d say that’s even more annoying.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I don't have Netflix, but downloaded both the HDR10 and DV MP4 encodes that are freely available and they both look great playing through Emby on my Shield. Looks solid black and the little bits of dust or whatever that float behind him are the only bit of light in the darkness aside from him and his flashlight. Has anyone having issues downloaded the MP4s? Do they behave any different than streaming from Netflix?

I just downloaded and tested all three on my CX using a USB stick...
  1. All three are with Brightness 50.
  2. DV from the USB stick looks as bad as it does from the Netflix internal app.
  3. This is the first time I've seen it in HDR10. Looks like it has the inverse issue DV does (bright inner, dark outer).
  4. No issues in SDR.
UPDATE: Also tested these on my C7. DV and SDR had zero issues, though surprisingly, HDR10 had a very mild version of what I saw on my CX, which points to possible conversion or source issues for the HDR10 version.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just downloaded and tested all three on my CX using a USB stick...
  1. All three are with Brightness 50.
  2. DV from the USB stick looks as bad as it does from the Netflix internal app.
  3. This is the first time I've seen it in HDR10. Looks like it has the inverse issue DV does (bright inner, dark outer).
  4. No issues in SDR.
Where do you download these?

·
Registered
LG CX 65” OLED | Samsung HW-N950 | Sony X800M2 | Xbox One X | PS4 Pro | Sony XBR-65x930e
241 Posts
Sure. There are a couple other videos, too. If you browse into each folder you will see an encodes folder that has the mp4 files

Thanks for the link to the files. They look identical to all the devices I have tried with Netflix on my end. Which is both the HDR and DV have the issue that some experience to varying degrees.

Since I connected my thumb drive I tried the DV plugetest file as it’s been awhile and I have many more hours on the set now. Test looks pretty darn good on cinema home but on cinema, wow lol. I think someone mentioned that in an earlier post that cinema blacks are messed up, at least in OOTB settings or at least on my set.

11221 - 11240 of 12791 Posts