AVS Forum banner

12701 - 12720 of 15111 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed previously in one of the nearly 13000 posts, but what are the exact effects of the "Peak Brightness" setting on DV/HDR10 content? I have searched the web, and found minimal information, mostly due to "peak brightness" mostly being discussed in the context of how bright the monitors can get at their peak.

I know the general gist of the settings, that "High" is the brightest, "Medium" is medium brightness, "Low" is low brightness, but what happens when it is fully turned "Off". I personally prefer the look when set to "Off" as I feel like the Low/Medium/High cause the blacks / darker parts of the image to become slightly elevated as well as brightening up the highlights. I haven't really watched much content on Low or Medium, but on High I have noticed that the ABL does seem to cause shifts in brightness when content switches between really dark and bright content such as in "Bly House".

But am I still getting an HDR image with "Peak Brightness" set to "Off"? Does anybody know the actual NIT levels that are being achieved with the various "Peak Brightness" settings on the CX 77"?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Anyone notice increased brightness with the latest .25 update?

I happened to be redoing all of my autocals again after updating (to take advantage of the calman home beta features) and noticed my hdr brightness is 30+ nits higher?

Just curious. I’m measuring 700 nits now in hdr cinema post autocal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
So here's the problem. There aren't that many that speak up and talk honestly about the specific issues, and those that do (myself included) get painted as trolls that have personal agendas for one reason or another. Marketing always trumps honesty, and a few lonely voices on the internet in forums such as these that try to explain the issues (with undeniable evidence) while providing perfectly viable workarounds and/or solutions are drowned out by the people that really have agendas (such as the "Pro Calibrators" that insist a decent calibration LUT can be calculated by reading a few primary colours).

It doesn't help when users post screenshots of ✌ successful ✌ calibration results that they got from measuring 20+ odd colours with an inaccurate meter using an inaccurate test pattern generator. Funny then, that a week or two later they are back asking why this artefact is now showing up, or that banding that wasn't there before has now appeared, etc, etc. Those that "think" they don't have issues are either living in a world of placebo or have no idea what a reference image should look like after a 3D LUT calibration.

Hell, even Vincent Teoh, who many around here respects as a God, still refuses to use AutoCAL and does his work manually!

While the theory behind the concept is all well and good, in practice it really isn't, and it can get really frustrating repeating the same thing over and over and over again week after week, month after month, year after year.

The only way to find all this out for yourself is to do the research, learn the process and experiment. For those not willing to put in some real effort (and it can be a lot of effort, as well as expensive), the two best choices are either to hire a Professional (for the love of God, a decent Pro that knows what he/she is doing and WILL NOT USE AUTOCAL), or stick with out of the box settings tweaked to your own liking.

I hope that helps provide a little understanding on that specific subject.
There are about four or five professional calibrators on here that people regularly rave about. At least two of them use AutoCal. I have talked to both of them. They claim that Autocal gives a good baseline and then they adjust manually from there. One told me that doing a 3DLUT is micromanaging points and not necessary. He is one of the bigger calibrators that is constantly mentioned on here. I know he uses a Klein K series meter. Not sure what other gear that he uses. How am I as a layman on this stuff supposed to know what is true?

James

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all just unboxed my 77 cx and saw this white circle area to the upper left. i really wish i can fix and not have to return...any advice ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all not sure what to do . i just unboxed this and upper left screen has a white halo area. really wish i didn’t have to go through headache of returning this .. any advice?
1C025091-A210-473D-A54E-F239EB8C41A2.jpeg

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Edited to say have at it. Believe who and what you want. No skin off my nose :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
All this ****-waving and ego posting... "I'm the best calibrator! Don't listen to these other guys, they're fake! Also buy my software it's the best".
The only "new" issue with LG is the near-black problems when it uses various "new" features such as vrr or dolby and those should be fixed by LG. Claiming that those can be fixed if the user buys a $200 device and a $200 "autocal" software and then his TV will be perfect is just fishing for money from an unsuspecting individual.
The usual colour inaccuracies aren't something we should even talk about here as they're normal - unless your TV is professional grade it will only be "reasonably accurate" out of the box. Fixing that is only possible for someone who has calibrated a lot of devices and worked with master-material. After all how would you, calibrating your first ever TV, be able to say something is "properly calibrated" if you don't have background to cross-reference it with? Simply based on what some device of software tells you?

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are about four or five professional calibrators on here that people regularly rave about. At least two of them use AutoCal. I have talked to both of them. They claim that Autocal gives a good baseline and then they adjust manually from there. One told me that doing a 3DLUT is micromanaging points and not necessary. He is one of the bigger calibrators that is constantly mentioned on here. I know he uses a Klein K series meter. Not sure what other gear that he uses. How am I as a layman on this stuff supposed to know what is true?

James
Not many that speak up and talk honestly? I despise when people say stupid crap like this. This forum is FILLED, FILLED, FILLED with people "speaking up" and complaining about this TV. If ANYTHING there's almost no positivity in this forum at all about this TV. So for some dbag to somehow claim people aren't being "honest" about the issues with this TV simply because they don't talk about it how YOU want people to is disgustingly stupid, pedantic and arrogant as h. I'm not responding to you, just the original comment you responded to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
hi all just unboxed my 77 cx and saw this white circle area to the upper left. i really wish i can fix and not have to return...any advice ? View attachment 3050501
That is a defect. I got 2 of them like that and returned both. If you watch anything with dark content, that bright blob will turn dark (oddly enough) and be plainly visible in your content. Pixel refreshes will not fix it either. Go ahead and try a pixel refresh, then watch something like Batman vs Superman and you will see the blob all over the movie. There is absolutely no fix for this.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You’d be surprised just how many are actually accurate OOTB (rather than inaccurate).

Of course you can only tell this if you measure with reference meters (high end Spectros). But even the “accurate” ones can be substantially improved with a full volumetric 3D LUT (based on a minimum 17 point cube). With that you will get true reference quality, as D-Nice will attest to.

What I can say (despite what many will tell you) is OOTB is 9 times out of 10 better than an “AutoCAL” calibration. You are better off learning manual calibration and doing it yourself than using AutoCAL, and that’s a fact.
Hello

I wanted to ask one of you if you could provide the link to the calibration forum you keep mentioning here? I am also trying to learn to calibrate my own televisions (Z9G, LG CX and X900H), but I need to find answers to some of my questions before I dive in. I've read in a SONY forum that all Master Series televisions are professionally calibrated before they ship to owners. So, I am wondering if I am looking at the very best possible picture that a SONY Z9G can display. Love my LG CX in the bedroom....the picture is amazing. So, it sounds like the aforementioned forum would be an excellent place for me to learn and get answers to lots of questions. I don't want to spend $$$ to only realize /and later regret/ that I bought the wrong software and equipment for the job.

Thank you in advance,
Ed

12701 - 12720 of 15111 Posts