AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Wow, that was some good stuff today. That was a proper NASCAR race. Loved seeing some non traditional names in the top ten outside of Daytona or Talledega.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Chase should have won.

You are correct that it was a good race. Nice racing throughout the stages.

·
Registered
4,504 Posts

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I thought today's race was good as well. JJ was competitive all day and I think he will win at least one race this year.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
If you call Bowman winning by 10 seconds good then yeah. Very few battles for the lead after midpoint. The only good thing about it was that it wasn't a fuel mileage race.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The restarts were great and there was passing throughout the field. Bowman did have a good day, but at least there was some battles for the lead. You are correct thought that he was gone with the last 40 or so laps left.

·
Super Moderator
17,808 Posts
Hate to say it, but I rather enjoyed Sunday's e-race. I think Jeff Gordon oversold it just a little bit. Programmers might consider knocking out the weather variable. Cloud cover made the picture too muddy. Otherwise, it was a pretty good production, all things considered.

Reactions: Tack

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Hate to say it, but I rather enjoyed Sunday's e-race. I think Jeff Gordon oversold it just a little bit. Programmers might consider knocking out the weather variable. Cloud cover made the picture too muddy. Otherwise, it was a pretty good production, all things considered.
I thought they did a really good job. I watched the whole thing, but only managed a few minutes of it's F1 counterpart. Clint did a good job as in race reporter, too. It should only get better from here on out. Very solid beginning.

·
Super Moderator
17,808 Posts
I wonder if the NFL could do something similar. Gotta be a way to get EASports or someone to agree... allowing two coaches to input plays, change up players, etc. Might take a long time to run the game, but then edit it down, throw in Nantz and Romo and see what happens. I'd watch that.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I thought it was a good start, but there is obvious need for improvement.

The drivers need more practice with the game. Maybe run an abbreviated race weekend with practice sessions and qualifying on Saturday. Follow with a 200 mile race on Sunday.

As I said in the F1 thread, more current and past drivers would expand the interest. Imagine Bill and Chase Elliott competing against each other. Rusty Wallace, Dale Jarrett, Tony Stewart and Mark Martin to name a few that would have former fans possibly tuning in.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Didn't watch Homestead last week but thought the virtual race in Texas today was pretty good. Certainly as much if not more competitive over long runs than the real thing at mile and a half tracks.

Guys are spending a lot of money and time on their rigs, announcers are doing a good job too. Even sounds good. They're still struggling a bit on when to throw cautions just like NASCAR. :wink:

IndyCar started their series in Watkins Glen yesterday, going to be a 6 race deal with Barber next week. No Indy 250 or whatever though, guess they don't want to mess with the 500. Online only don't know whether NBCSN will pick it up or not, I watched it on YouTube.

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Didn't watch Homestead last week but thought the virtual race in Texas today was pretty good. Certainly as much if not more competitive over long runs than the real thing at mile and a half tracks.

Guys are spending a lot of money and time on their rigs, announcers are doing a good job too. Even sounds good. They're still struggling a bit on when to throw cautions just like NASCAR. :wink:

IndyCar started their series in Watkins Glen yesterday, going to be a 6 race deal with Barber next week. No Indy 250 or whatever though, guess they don't want to mess with the 500. Online only don't know whether NBCSN will pick it up or not, I watched it on YouTube.
Good opportunity for Wickens.

I thought the NASCAR race was good too. I'm sure NASCAR would want some of the bigger names winning, but it was really well done and watchable.

·
Super Moderator
17,808 Posts
Decent ratings, too, all things considered.

March 29, 2020
Texas Motor Speedway
NASCAR iRacing Series
Rating: 0.81 rating
Viewers: 1.339 million
Network: FS1/FOX

Homestead was the first iRacing event shown on TV:

March 22, 2020
Homestead-Miami Speedway
NASCAR iRacing Series
Rating: 0.53 rating
Viewers: 903K
Network: FS1

So, how does that compare to a real NASCAR race? Here’s the last race run before the postponement:

March 11, 2020
Phoenix Raceway
NASCAR Cup Series
Rating: 2.2 rating
Viewers: 3.74M
Network: FOX

Here’s the data for the 2019 championship finale:

November 21, 2019
Homestead-Miami Speedway
NASCAR Cup Series
Rating: 2.2 rating
Viewers: 3.74M
Network: NBC

The following was the most recent oval race shown via FS1: The same network that showed the digital NASCAR race.

June 11, 2019
Michigan International Speedway
NASCAR Cup Series
Rating: 1.0
Viewers: 1.58M

Another…

May 16, 2019
Kansas Speedway
NASCAR Cup Series
Rating: 1.2
Viewers: 2.18M
https://racingnews.co/2020/03/31/nascar-iracing-tv-ratings-march-29-2020-texas-motor-speedway/

If you compare FS1 broadcasts, you have quite a surprise, especially given the money saved over producing a traditional race. FOX/FS1 might just have a money-maker or at least not-as-much-of-a-money-loser on their hands. Having a sort of captive audience helps, but I'd watch this in the off-season, too.

The bonus for me is that nobody gets hurt and there's zero time spent cleaning up the track from a wreck or drying it from rain.. and Clint Boyer is really funny.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
According to the Athletic, Nascar is trying to schedule a race soon. Florida Governor Ron Desantis is hoping to get Nascar to hold a race in the state. Obviously it will be without fans.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
I'm sure they don't want to give up on the Charlotte races, that's their big deal every year after Daytona. But all the all-star hoopla they do at the track will have to disappear this year I guess.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'm sure they don't want to give up on the Charlotte races, that's their big deal every year after Daytona. But all the all-star hoopla they do at the track will have to disappear this year I guess.
The big thing is that the teams get paid after a race and none are getting paid. The TV money can keep the teams running and not have to shut down.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
Richmond was a snooze of a race and I'm starting to get concerned that there are only a handful of top iRacing drivers that have a chance to win every week (which is to be expected I guess given the large experience gap between the sim guys and the newcomers). We'll see.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
It seems like they are going over board with the mid-week races. That said the first real trip the teams have to make is down here to Homestead.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts