AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 436 Posts

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Though driving distances on the front were 388 (Wolff) and 374 (Beefcake), the bombs were their eagle putts on 9.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
NBC promised no commercials in the final hour, so prior to, commercials and promos have been stuffed at a furious pace. :cool:

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Congrats to Beefcake's great round and win.
Hope Wolff can minimize the unraveling for 2nd.
  1. $2,250,000
  2. $1,350,000
  3. $830,466
  4. $582,175

Reactions: TitusTroy

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Golfer Bryson DeChambeau Explains How Gaining 20 Pounds of Muscle Transformed His Game

DeChambeau knew that building strength would help him in terms of speed and length in his drive, but that wasn't his sole motivation...the last eight months' training have also been in pursuit of a longer-term lifestyle change...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/golfer-bryson-dechambeau-explains-gaining-193800269.html
I guess it's working...2 majors- 1 win and was in contention at the other...

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
Yea! My boy Oosty gets solo third! 😁

Beefcake, my goodness. :eek: That was somethin'. Not sure what, but something... different. And dominating.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Rory McIlroy conflicted on Bryson DeChambeau ‘taking advantage’ of golf world

Rory McIlroy isn’t quite sure what to make of Bryson DeChambeau’s US Open conquest...McIlroy was asked what he would have said if he were told before the tournament that the winner only hit four of his final 21 fairways, as the hulking DeChambeau did

“No chance. No chance,” McIlroy said. “I don’t really know what to say because that’s just the complete opposite of what you think a US Open champion does. Look, he’s found a way to do it. Whether that’s good or bad for the game, I don’t know, but it’s just — it’s not the way I saw this golf course being played or this tournament being played. It’s kind of hard to really wrap my head around it.”...

·
Registered
812 Posts
I think somehow they need to cut back the distance Bryson and others are hitting the balls.Maybe do something to the clubs and balls. If they dont the courses will become a joke.There isnt room on some of the courses to make them any longer.We dont want to see 300 yard par 3,600 yards par4.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Bryson DeChambeau’s warning should make Masters officials shudder

DeChambeau, who’s constantly tinkering with his game and his body, made it clear after his US Open victory that has no plans to take his foot off the accelerator as the Masters approaches in November...“I’m not going to stop,’’ he said. “Next week, I’m going to be trying a 48-inch driver. We’re going to be messing with some head designs and do some amazing things with Cobra to make it feasible to hit these drives maybe 360, 370, maybe even farther.’’

He also revealed that he wants to gain even more muscle weight on top of the 30 or so pounds he’s put on in the past 10 months...For the record, DeChambeau said he’s 6-foot-1, 230 to 235 right now...asked if he wants to be bigger in time for the Masters, he said, “Yeah.’’...“I think I can get to 245...Length is going to be a big advantage there’’...

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
I've said this before, and I have heard none of the sports media reporters or talking heads even mention it, but has Beefcake even taken a steroid test? I've always heard it is impossible for a human being to add more than about 12 pounds of muscle in any given year no matter their diet, workout routine or genetics. It's just not physiologically possible.

For him to make that dramatic a transformation that quickly is unheard of without 'roids, even in bodybuilding circles. I know the science of juicing and masking the indicators has progressed significantly since Lance Armstrong's days. But still. Somebody needs to test that guy and a top-flight lab needs to analyze the results using the latest diagnostics. Just sayin'.

And I know the PGA Tour supposedly has a testing program in place they installed several years ago. But I'd be looking at that guy really closely if I were them. It just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I think somehow they need to cut back the distance Bryson and others are hitting the balls.Maybe do something to the clubs and balls. If they dont the courses will become a joke.There isnt room on some of the courses to make them any longer.We dont want to see 300 yard par 3,600 yards par4.
It's the ball, dimples, agronomy, shafts, club heads, physical fitness, computer science, etc. Outside of using a featherie, you'd hafta cut back on everything.

I'd rather see research on more penal rough grasses for non-Bermuda golf courses. The long rough at Winged Foot didn't grab club heads as it should have. It only helped players (other than wimps) lose balls. Bermuda rough that's one-third of Winged Foot's would be more penal, but growing Bermuda in northern climes is not possible.

Too, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, Winged Foot enlarging the greens 15% to 25% in their 2017 restoration didn't help with toughening for the big boys.

I liked Winged Foot's long par-3s, its longest par-5, and the 500 yard par-4s.

"Fore!" Smash-mouth golf is here to stay. More spinach, please.:geek:

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have questions. What’s with DeChambeau hitting a 5 1/2 degree driver higher than everyone else? I know his ball speed Is often in the 186mph range, but that does not explain the height with that flat driver. Must be higher spin. What was more surprising was Wolff staying up with him with that weird Jim Furyk looking thing going for him. I can see raw muscle creating speed, but where does Wolff get his beside jumping out of his shoes?

Some exciting stuff here for this old geezer.

Those short roughs at the Masters, if they dare to stick to them, has to look mighty inviting to the new bombers.

·
Registered
27,438 Posts
I have questions. What’s with DeChambeau hitting a 5 1/2 degree driver higher than everyone else? I know his ball speed Is often in the 186mph range, but that does not explain the height with that flat driver. Must be higher spin. What was more surprising was Wolff staying up with him with that weird Jim Furyk looking thing going for him. I can see raw muscle creating speed, but where does Wolff get his beside jumping out of his shoes?

Some exciting stuff here for this old geezer.

Those short roughs at the Masters, if they dare to stick to them, has to look mighty inviting to the new bombers.
Bryson tees it really high, and the driver head catches the ball on the upswing. They're all doing that now, more or less, but he's just more extreme than the rest. Launch angle gives him that height, and there's probably some spin involved as well that helps it climb a bit more.

Wolff gets his power from a really loose, wristy action through impact, I would surmise. The club head comes into the ball at a pretty shallow angle, which makes his performance out of the rough last week kind of inexplicable.

As a local pro I used to know referred to it: he generates a lot of "late speed" -- the best kind for golf. I don't see that as an action that can be repeated consistently over a long career. He's probably going to have stretches of slumps along the way where his timing gets a little bit off and he sprays it everywhere. But then, I never would have expected Furyk's swing to hold up over so many decades either, yet it has.

I'm now all in for Beefcake at the Masters. Provided his putting holds up. If not him, then Rory. And of course, my boy.... Oosty! Just because. 😁

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #416
Golf has always been about "how many" not about how you do it. Golf 101.:eek:

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Considering how big a booster he was of Chambers Bay, I'm guessing it'll be a short course designing career.

Not to mention the times in which we live. Much of the work left is tweaking existing courses.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Considering how big a booster he was of Chambers Bay, I'm guessing it'll be a short course designing career.

Not to mention the times in which we live. Much of the work left is tweaking existing courses.
I'm pretty sure he's made enough money that he doesn't really need to work anymore. Given the current situation in the world sometimes you just need to step back and take a look at what you are doing and what do you want to do. If you have the ability to make changes to enjoy yourself more and take some stress out of you life some of us will choose to do it. Some people need the power and the spotlight and some of us can just say I'm good, time to move on.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts

401 - 420 of 436 Posts