AVS Forum banner

141 - 160 of 343 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Could be years till we see another golf tournament.:(
Good news for you, at least your predictions will not be discredited in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
6,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #142 (Edited)
My predictions are near flawless and no downside in the future.:D

No sports for years?

Wonder what's going to happen daytime game shows with no audience?:eek:

Going to have to follow the soaps more closely.:eek:

Am I bummed about no Masters? It's been 60 years and counting and never missed one.

Like the great Walter Sobchak said has the whole world gone crazy.;)

·
Registered
774 Posts
Enjoying watching the 2018 Valspar tournament more than I thought I would. Tiger is playing well so far in the third round. At least its something to watch.

·
Super Moderator
17,806 Posts
Enjoying watching the 2018 Valspar tournament more than I thought I would. Tiger is playing well so far in the third round. At least its something to watch.
I'm usually focused on March Madness, this time of year, so watching this is all largely new to me.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
US Open won’t be played in June, but will stay at Winged Foot

Winged Foot has been informed the tournament will not take place in June as scheduled...the plan is for the tournament to remain at Winged Foot, but to be played later in the summer...the 120th U.S. Open, which was scheduled to be played June 18-21 at the Mamaroneck club, joins the Masters and PGA Championship in being delayed

The Masters, which was to be played April 9-12, has been postponed until later in the year (possibly October)...the PGA, which was set for May 14-17 at Harding Park in San Francisco, also has been postponed with plans for a new date later in the summer...

https://nypost.com/2020/03/26/us-open-wont-be-played-in-june-but-will-stay-at-winged-foot/

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
I expect the announcement to delay the British Open and Wimbledon will probably come in the next month or so, as well. Britain is not quite as far behind the 8-ball as we are, but they're not far off. At least they have a National Health Service and can mobilize resources more quickly & efficiently than us.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I expect the announcement to delay the British Open and Wimbledon will probably come in the next month or so, as well. Britain is not quite as far behind the 8-ball as we are, but they're not far off. At least they have a National Health Service and can mobilize resources more quickly & efficiently than us.
"Open moves closer to postponement as R&A looks at 2020 reschedule"

The R&A is understood to be edging closer to a postponement of the Open Championship, amid a growing realisation golf’s oldest major cannot be held in July at Royal St George’s. An announcement could be made following talks next week, with the organisers hopeful of rescheduling the tournament for later in the year as a backup plan.
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/27/open-moves-closer-to-postponement-as-ra-looks-at-2020-reschedule

·
Registered
12,728 Posts
British Open 2020 to be canceled due to coronavirus pandemic

not postponed like the other majors but outright cancelled...the last time the Open wasn’t played was in Royal St. George’s Golf Club 1945 because of World War II

part of the reason the championship is being canceled rather than postponed like the Masters and PGA Championship has to do with insurance, a source says...similar to Wimbledon, the R&A has a policy that shields against a global pandemic, and a source indicated the Open would have to cancel by a certain date in order to collect on its insurance premium...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/2020-british-open-canceled-due-to-coronavirus-pandemic-sources-say

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Today the R&A are denying the Open is cancelled: https://www.golfchannel.com/news/ra-denies-report-open-championship-canceled-still-exploring-options

With the Olympics moved to next year there's at least one obvious spot for a rescheduled Major (Jul 30 - Aug 2). It won't be the Masters (too hot) but could be any of the other three.
Be patient, it's coming. ;)

I expect social distancing to extend well beyond COVID-19 peaks, and subsequent reasonably-clear signals. These and out-of-the-woods aren't even dreams yet.

"FORE!" Stay safe.

Reactions: archiguy

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
So now that virtual NASCAR is a thing on TV, when are we going to see virtual golf tourneys using real players? Not sure if it can be done in a reasonable way but I've got to think that all sports are going to have to take a look at this. I'm thinking for golf it would have to be real golf swings, not a strictly computer sim.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
2020 Masters Targeting November 9-15

With the help of the City and County of San Francisco, our friends at the PGA TOUR, and our partners CBS Sports and ESPN, we are holding August 3-9 as dates for a rescheduled 2020 PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park.

The 120th U.S. Open has been postponed and is now rescheduled for Sept. 17-20, 2020, at Winged Foot Golf Club.

The British Open will not be played this year for the first time since 1945, with the R&A choosing to play golf's oldest championship next year at Royal St. George's and move the 150th Open at St. Andrews to 2022.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
2020 Masters Targeting November 9-15

With the help of the City and County of San Francisco, our friends at the PGA TOUR, and our partners CBS Sports and ESPN, we are holding August 3-9 as dates for a rescheduled 2020 PGA Championship at TPC Harding Park.

The 120th U.S. Open has been postponed and is now rescheduled for Sept. 17-20, 2020, at Winged Foot Golf Club.

The British Open will not be played this year for the first time since 1945, with the R&A choosing to play golf's oldest championship next year at Royal St. George's and move the 150th Open at St. Andrews to 2022.
Thanks for that info. :)

Wise decision by the R&A. Not so wise by the others. My thinking's if all four can't do it, scrap the majors 'til next year. Solidarity. "FORE!"

·
Banned
26,895 Posts
My guess is, based on current trends, all 4 Majors will eventually be called off for this year. The Masters is the only one with a realistic chance of being played, because November may be far enough off that things might have subsided enough by then.

I don't expect the NFL season to start on time, if played at all, and I really don't know what the NBA is going to do, seeing as how they were so close to the end of the season when the poo hit the fan. No matter what happens there, you kind of have to finish this season before you start the next one.

Bottom line, this is all uncharted territory and right now we have no idea what trajectory the virus will take. But based on how many people in my unfortunately too red state (I actually live just across the line in SC) are not taking it seriously and are ignoring the recommendations regarding social distancing, I am not hopeful. They are the reason why "getting back to normal" will be later rather than sooner.

141 - 160 of 343 Posts