AVS Forum banner

341 - 360 of 880 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Quick question. I have found some 65Q80R models still for sale at basically the same price as the new 80T. I know there have been several concerns posted on this thread about the quality of the new 80T. I am looking for a new 65" so would it be best to buy last year's 80R or this year's 80T? I am NOT a gamer and most interested in PQ and excellent color representation. My sources are DTV and ATV4K for streaming all running through my Yamaha AVR. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #342
FYI, Game mode is a bit of a pain on this set (IMO). The settings don't carry over between inputs, like they do for Move mode, so you have to manually set all the values for each input you want to game with.
that's how it's supposed to be though, each input is treated as a separate source.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
Quick question. I have found some 65Q80R models still for sale at basically the same price as the new 80T. I know there have been several concerns posted on this thread about the quality of the new 80T. I am looking for a new 65" so would it be best to buy last year's 80R or this year's 80T? I am NOT a gamer and most interested in PQ and excellent color representation. My sources are DTV and ATV4K for streaming all running through my Yamaha AVR. Thanks.
I have first hand experience with the Q80R but admittedly have no such experience with the Q80T but from reviews and owner testimonials the Q80T handles brightness fluctuation and subtitles much better. IMO, it's a no brainier to get the Q80T especially if the price is similar to the Q80R.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone. I just bought the Q80T and love it. I was wondering if anyone has tried to pass a Dolby Atmos signal from their TV to their receiver using ARC? It won't work for me. I have a Denon AVR-S920W. I can get Dolby digital and Dolby Surround to decode but no-cigar with Atmos even though there's a setting for"Dolby Atmos Compatibility" in the menu under SOUNDS, EXPERT SETTINGS. Is it my receiver? Does ARC not do Atmos? Any ideas?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello everyone. I just bought the Q80T and love it. I was wondering if anyone has tried to pass a Dolby Atmos signal from their TV to their receiver using ARC? It won't work for me. I have a Denon AVR-S920W. I can get Dolby digital and Dolby Surround to decode but no-cigar with Atmos even though there's a setting for"Dolby Atmos Compatibility" in the menu under SOUNDS, EXPERT SETTINGS. Is it my receiver? Does ARC not do Atmos? Any ideas?

OK after investigating a little more, my receiver is the culprit. Apparently you need HDMI eARC to be able to transmit Atmos. My Denon only has regular ARC, so it takes that Atmos signal and converts it to Dolby Digital Plus. It still sounds good, plus I only have 5.1 so it's fine. BTW, I'm using ARC because of my Xbox One X. Apparently I can't enable VRR for gaming unless I'm directly connected to the TV. So I guess I'm going to have to upgrade my receiver in the near future.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Guys,

Looking for a little first hand experience on this TV from any owners. At this point I am done waiting for a Vizio PQX unless they shock us with an announcement in the next week or two. I'm looking at either the Q80T or Sony X900H in a 85 for both.

The Q80T was on sale like a week or so ago at Best Buy from 4k to 3.5k so I would assume that should happen again soon and honestly 3.5k is the VERY max of my budget. Where the Sony X900H has been on sale for awhile from a price of 3.5k down to 2.7k so its a pretty good savings between the Samsung and the Sony. I have a feeling the Samsung is probably a little better but not sure if it is worth the spend.

It will be in a basement room and used for TV, Movies, and Gaming. HDMI 2.1 is a must for me which is why I am looking at these two sets. Would love some hands on experience.

I have a slightly older 4k Samsung and albeit the Q80T is MUCH better than that unit when I game on it the Darks are so Dark I can barely make out what is going on the screen. This is probably a slightly biased group but would love opinions here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys,

Looking for a little first hand experience on this TV from any owners. At this point I am done waiting for a Vizio PQX unless they shock us with an announcement in the next week or two. I'm looking at either the Q80T or Sony X900H in a 85 for both.

The Q80T was on sale like a week or so ago at Best Buy from 4k to 3.5k so I would assume that should happen again soon and honestly 3.5k is the VERY max of my budget. Where the Sony X900H has been on sale for awhile from a price of 3.5k down to 2.7k so its a pretty good savings between the Samsung and the Sony. I have a feeling the Samsung is probably a little better but not sure if it is worth the spend.

It will be in a basement room and used for TV, Movies, and Gaming. HDMI 2.1 is a must for me which is why I am looking at these two sets. Would love some hands on experience.

I have a slightly older 4k Samsung and albeit the Q80T is MUCH better than that unit when I game on it the Darks are so Dark I can barely make out what is going on the screen. This is probably a slightly biased group but would love opinions here.
I've had the Q80T for about a week. As of right now I'm very happy with it. Gaming wise, it's very good. Playing Modern Warfare on it is silky smooth with great low input lag. Also playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which runs at 30fps, is much more enjoyable than on my previous 4K Vizio P series from 2014. I'm not sure if game mode is the reason why. I just know it's easier on my eyes. My understanding is that VRR doesn't work on games under 40fps so it can't be that. Anyways, thumbs up on gaming. Movies are beautiful. I'm sure OLED TV's are better but this is definitely an upgrade for me from my previous TV. No complaints there. My only negative about the TV, and it's not really the TVs fault, is that I have to connect the X1X straight to the TV if I want VRR to work. So I kind of lost Dolby Atmos compatibility through my receiver. I mean its still kind of there, as it comes through through ARC as Dolby Digital but there's definitely audio lag when it's on, between what happens on screen and when the sound comes through. As of right now I have the TV's audio set to Pass-Through and the X1X set to HDMI Stereo uncompressed, and my receiver to DTS Neural X or Dolby Surround. This audio issue only affects my X1X. I'm using the TVs apps to watch movies and I can get Dolby Digital audio from them. And, of course, on the Xbox you can put on headphones and get Atmos that way if you really just have it. But overall super happy with my Q80T. Eventually I'll upgrade my receiver when HDMI 2.1 becomes available on them. I'm going to skip this year's receivers cause I'm sure we are going to have to pay a pretty premium for it. Denon has HDMI in their new receivers for 2020, but it's only one HDMI 2.1 port.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've had the Q80T for about a week. As of right now I'm very happy with it. Gaming wise, it's very good. Playing Modern Warfare on it is silky smooth with great low input lag. Also playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which runs at 30fps, is much more enjoyable than on my previous 4K Vizio P series from 2014. I'm not sure if game mode is the reason why. I just know it's easier on my eyes. My understanding is that VRR doesn't work on games under 40fps so it can't be that. Anyways, thumbs up on gaming. Movies are beautiful. I'm sure OLED TV's are better but this is definitely an upgrade for me from my previous TV. No complaints there. My only negative about the TV, and it's not really the TVs fault, is that I have to connect the X1X straight to the TV if I want VRR to work. So I kind of lost Dolby Atmos compatibility through my receiver. I mean its still kind of there, as it comes through through ARC as Dolby Digital but there's definitely audio lag when it's on, between what happens on screen and when the sound comes through. As of right now I have the TV's audio set to Pass-Through and the X1X set to HDMI Stereo uncompressed, and my receiver to DTS Neural X or Dolby Surround. This audio issue only affects my X1X. I'm using the TVs apps to watch movies and I can get Dolby Digital audio from them. And, of course, on the Xbox you can put on headphones and get Atmos that way if you really just have it. But overall super happy with my Q80T. Eventually I'll upgrade my receiver when HDMI 2.1 becomes available on them. I'm going to skip this year's receivers cause I'm sure we are going to have to pay a pretty premium for it. Denon has HDMI in their new receivers for 2020, but it's only one HDMI 2.1 port.

Freesync has a features called LFC (low framerate compensation), that effectively allows the lower end of the VRR frequency range to be much, much lower than the advertised rate (as low as a few FPS). The catch is that for this to work, the original VRR range has to have a max value that is at least 2.5X the minimum. For this set, this only applies for 1440p or below (48-120Hz). The 4K range is only 48-60Hz.

So, you can have Freesync work properly at 30Hz, but only if you run at 1440p or below. There's some good info about this here: https://levvvel.com/low-framerate-compensation/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thinking about pulling the trigger on this TV sometime this week. Nebraska Furniture Mart is offering its Berkshire Hathaway stock holders discounts so the Q7580T comes out to $2120.00 I will be gaming on this and not sure what I should even be looking at for a receiver. Is there a receiver out there that I can buy sub $750 that wont nerf all the gaming features on this TV?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have the 85" and, coming from a 70", this thing is absolutely huge and incredibly heavy. Once you get it up, the size is outstanding for movies and games, but the process to install the base is a 3 person job, at least.

As far as games go, it is an improvement over my previous 4k, non-HDR Vizio in two ways. First, I notice a big difference with seeing darker shades in HDR games (I play Fallout 76 a bit, which is HDR). It makes the game seem less "dark" in the dark sections/shadows (i.e., you can see more dark detail). Second, I have my Xbox 1X connected via my receiver and therefore don't get any benefit of the VRR, however, the smoothness/jutter control in game mode does WONDERS to smooth out 30 FPS games without adding noticeable lag or visual artifacts. I was gaming on my old TV in the bedroom last night and the smoothness difference between the two is jarring. In short, this is a great gaming TV.

As for movies, I have only watched a few 1080p movies on disc and the Expanse (4k/HDR) on Amazon prime, both of which looked great. To my eyes, I don't see any obvious blooming issues with the backlighting and the viewing angle is very impressive.

My main complaint is that, out of the box, the colors seem over saturated, especially in HDR mode. Using the custom color settings that Denpom provided at the beginning of the thread easily fixed this issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone else had trouble getting this TV to recognize their AVR? I have a Sony STR-DN850 which was working fine with my last TV, a Samsung plasma screen purchased in 2014. Just got the Q80T, and it's very finicky as to whether it will recognize the AVR as a video source (i.e., for playing my PS4.) I have it connected to the HDMI 3 port, the one for eARC. It works fine with the ARC for playing sound when the TV is the source, but often when I turn on both the TV and AVR, and try to switch to the AVR as an input source, the TV says "No Signal." If I tell it to perform the HDMI cable test, it says there's a problem with the cable, but swapping out the cable doesn't solve the problem. Then at other times it works fine, and I can't tell whether there's any rhyme or reason to when it works or not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Has anyone else had trouble getting this TV to recognize their AVR? I have a Sony STR-DN850 which was working fine with my last TV, a Samsung plasma screen purchased in 2014. Just got the Q80T, and it's very finicky as to whether it will recognize the AVR as a video source (i.e., for playing my PS4.) I have it connected to the HDMI 3 port, the one for eARC. It works fine with the ARC for playing sound when the TV is the source, but often when I turn on both the TV and AVR, and try to switch to the AVR as an input source, the TV says "No Signal." If I tell it to perform the HDMI cable test, it says there's a problem with the cable, but swapping out the cable doesn't solve the problem. Then at other times it works fine, and I can't tell whether there's any rhyme or reason to when it works or not.
Check out this video. It might help out your situation.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Check out this video. It might help out your situation.

https://youtu.be/dbOrKuTd5gw

Thanks, but that video is mainly concerned with getting your TV to pipe lossless audio to your AVR through eARC, which isn't the problem I'm having. My problem is getting the TV to recognize the AVR as a video input source. Though he does mention at the end that you can just connect devices like game consoles directly to your TV, and have the TV output the audio to the AVR through eARC. Is that what you're suggesting I do, just as a workaround? I don't know if that will work because my AVR doesn't support eARC.

Could the problem just be that my AVR is too old? I bought it in 2014, and Sony no longer makes this model. I could certainly upgrade my AVR, but I've been trying to hold out until models with HDMI 2.1 become widely available.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thanks, but that video is mainly concerned with getting your TV to pipe lossless audio to your AVR through eARC, which isn't the problem I'm having. My problem is getting the TV to recognize the AVR as a video input source. Though he does mention at the end that you can just connect devices like game consoles directly to your TV, and have the TV output the audio to the AVR through eARC. Is that what you're suggesting I do, just as a workaround? I don't know if that will work because my AVR doesn't support eARC.

Could the problem just be that my AVR is too old? I bought it in 2014, and Sony no longer makes this model. I could certainly upgrade my AVR, but I've been trying to hold out until models with HDMI 2.1 become widely available.

I’m not sure if you need a new AVR, however, because your AVR doesn’t support eARC, you’ll want to make sure everything is configured properly for ARC. On the Samsung, hopefully you didn’t disable Anynet+ (which is enabled by default). This is what Samsung calls HDMI-CEC. On your Sony make sure that in the Amp Menu under HDMI you have CTRL HDMI turned On. With these both enabled, the TV and Receiver should be able to auto-detect the source. If you have issues with HDMI-CEC you can try soft rebooting the TV by holding power on the remote for 5 seconds. Otherwise, you can also disconnect power for about 5 seconds from the TV. Make sure firmware is up to date on all of your devices. Also, if you continue to have issues, make sure you are using a HDMI premium certified cable between the TV and AVR. I will say I had cabling issues with my old Sony receiver and Samsung and although it worked most of the time, when I bought new cables, things were way more consistent. I’ve since upgraded to a newer Denon and also have had no issues with HDMI-CEC and my Receiver/TV.

As for HDMI 2.1, the new 2020 Denons were just announced and support both eARC as well as 8K, VRR, HDR10+ and other 2.1 features (older models also support eARC which really is all you need). I love the Denon and Audyssey calibration has made everything sound so much better. Definitely worth considering if you still have issues.

EDIT: I looked up your receiver (Sony STR-DN850) and another reason you may want a new receiver is it looks like the DN850 doesn’t support HDCP 2.2 meaning it will not pass through copy protected 4K content. With the DN850 you will want all 4K sources connected directly to the TV using ARC back to the receiver for audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m not sure if you need a new AVR, however, because your AVR doesn’t support eARC, you’ll want to make sure everything is configured properly for ARC. On the Samsung, hopefully you didn’t disable Anynet+ (which is enabled by default). This is what Samsung calls HDMI-CEC. On your Sony make sure that in the Amp Menu under HDMI you have CTRL HDMI turned On. With these both enabled, the TV and Receiver should be able to auto-detect the source. If you have issues with HDMI-CEC you can try soft rebooting the TV by holding power on the remote for 5 seconds. Otherwise, you can also disconnect power for about 5 seconds from the TV. Make sure firmware is up to date on all of your devices. Also, if you continue to have issues, make sure you are using a HDMI premium certified cable between the TV and AVR. I will say I had cabling issues with my old Sony receiver and Samsung and although it worked most of the time, when I bought new cables, things were way more consistent. I’ve since upgraded to a newer Denon and also have had no issues with HDMI-CEC and my Receiver/TV.

As for HDMI 2.1, the new 2020 Denons were just announced and support both eARC as well as 8K, VRR, HDR10+ and other 2.1 features (older models also support eARC which really is all you need). I love the Denon and Audyssey calibration has made everything sound so much better. Definitely worth considering if you still have issues.

EDIT: I looked up your receiver (Sony STR-DN850) and another reason you may want a new receiver is it looks like the DN850 doesn’t support HDCP 2.2 meaning it will not pass through copy protected 4K content. With the DN850 you will want all 4K sources connected directly to the TV using ARC back to the receiver for audio.

Yup, Anynet+ is enabled, CTRL HDMI turned on. And I'm using this cable, which is supposed to be a good one.

I had thought just unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV and plugging it back in caused it to work, but now that's not working. What's odd is that it will cause the menu screen from the AVR to flash on the screen for a second, but then the TV will do its "loading screen" thing (a circle of dots being sequentially illuminated) for a minute, and display "No Signal" again. Also, when the TV says "No Signal," the AVR will not be playing the sound output from the PS4 even though it's set to the correct input ("GAME.")

I just tried connecting the PS4 directly to the TV and having the audio go back to the receiver through ARC, but the problem with that is that the TV doesn't seem to be passing through the surround sound from the PS4. Loading up 5.1 surround tests on YouTube on the PS4 reveal that it's not using the side speakers. I have the PS4 set to Dolby Bistream. Also tried Linear PCM. what is going on here? According to rtings.com, this TV is supposed to be able to pass through Dolby 5.1 surround sound.

ETA: Surround sound doesn't work when the TV is its own source, either. I just tried the same surround sound tests on the TV's YouTube app, and it still doesn't use the side speakers.

Edited again to further add: OK, I just checked the TV's sound settings, and under Expert Settings/Digital Output Audio Format, the little tooltip says that pass-through is only supported when the receiver is connected via eARC. Looks like I need to buy a receiver that supports eARC. I guess I will just get one of those new Denons as soon as they are available.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yup, Anynet+ is enabled, CTRL HDMI turned on. And I'm using this cable, which is supposed to be a good one.

I had thought just unplugging the HDMI cable from the TV and plugging it back in caused it to work, but now that's not working. What's odd is that it will cause the menu screen from the AVR to flash on the screen for a second, but then the TV will do its "loading screen" thing (a circle of dots being sequentially illuminated) for a minute, and display "No Signal" again. Also, when the TV says "No Signal," the AVR will not be playing the sound output from the PS4 even though it's set to the correct input ("GAME.")

I just tried connecting the PS4 directly to the TV and having the audio go back to the receiver through ARC, but the problem with that is that the TV doesn't seem to be passing through the surround sound from the PS4. Loading up 5.1 surround tests on YouTube on the PS4 reveal that it's not using the side speakers. I have the PS4 set to Dolby Bistream. Also tried Linear PCM. what is going on here? According to rtings.com, this TV is supposed to be able to pass through Dolby 5.1 surround sound.

ETA: Surround sound doesn't work when the TV is its own source, either. I just tried the same surround sound tests on the TV's YouTube app, and it still doesn't use the side speakers.

Not sure which PS4 you have, but if you have the PS4 Pro you will receive higher quality video signal plugged directly into the TV (because your receiver will make copy protected 4K content output at 1080p). For a couple years Samsung has supported Dolby Digital+ passthrough with Atmos over standard ARC. The Q80T supports eARC which can also passthrough lossless audio but you would need a compatible receiver for that. With that said, generally if you set the Samsung to bitstream you can change the output to Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital+ when available. If you set it to PCM you will get 2-channel audio so you don’t want that. It may also take some toggling with the audio output settings from the PS4 to get the behavior you’re expecting. One other thing to mention about eARC (even though your current receive doesn’t support it) is that Denon mentions it requires an HDMI cable with Ethernet for it to work properly. Only pointing this out because I have a cable that I got from Costco which works great for ARC but if I get a new TV I’ll need to replace it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
75” Q80T Dimensions

I can’t find any speciation on the Samsung site regarding H x W x D and weight without stand QN75Q80TAFXZA

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think YouTube apps only outputs in stereo. Those YouTube surround sound tests don't work

341 - 360 of 880 Posts